Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

Because it's a huge waste of time.

If memory serves me correctly I used 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4 with the SubEQ. None of them gave me any grief.

Cool and good to know .

Thanks so much for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5724 Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Cool and good to know .

Thanks so much for info.

I uploaded two flavors of v3.3 and one of v3.2.

There were important updates for the Sub EQ made in one of the versions. I think it was with an earlier version of v3.4 (which I didn't save ).

Try your best to get v3.4 to work first. I have a feeling that it is stuck in 2 zone mode. Try my suggestion of calibrating with 2 in 2 out (just 3 measurements and save to flash), unplugging the Sub EQ, then recalibrating with 1 in 2 out.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #273 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I uploaded two flavors of v3.3 and one of v3.2.

There were important updates for the Sub EQ made in one of the versions. I think it was with an earlier version of v3.4 (which I didn't save ).

Try your best to get v3.4 to work first. I have a feeling that it is stuck in 2 zone mode. Try my suggestion of calibrating with 2 in 2 out (just 3 measurements and save to flash), unplugging the Sub EQ, then recalibrating with 1 in 2 out.

Thanks so much.

Will for sure try that little trick. Hope it works. Lol.

Awesome...
post #274 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Am re running Pro right now after getting latest firmware. Will report impressions.
post #275 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

... hi res multichannel, for which I manually swap to five identical monopoles, is absolutely stunning. Jeff

Hey Jeff, I was thinking of doing some A/B listening tests with the Denon A100 for different calibration files. So I was thinking I'd just save each one (XT32 alone, Pro w/ xovers=80, Pro w/xovers at recommended default, Pro midrange comp ON vs OFF, etc, etc) using the Denon network "save file" function to save each one, labelled accordingly, to my HD. Then to call any one up, I'd use the networking "load file" function. It only takes a few minutes and no need to fire up Pro each time, right? Have you tried this with the Onkyo5508?

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #276 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I have read that Denon owners are able to use that feature to load calibrations, but Onk has nothing like that so I need to use Pro to effect the configuration changes.
post #277 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had no idea that was not a feature on the Onkyo. Wow, and come to think of it, Denons even manage to get the Pro mic cal file loaded correctly when it should be...... he-he, wife says I'm a bit snarky today.

Seriously, though, that file-loading capability is certainly another big value-added feature of using Pro in the Onkyo line.

post #278 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

I do not use any of the DCX2496's features except to time-align and level-match.

Why not set distances and levels w/the 4311?

Noah
post #279 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I had no idea that was not a feature on the Onkyo. Wow, and come to think of it, Denons even manage to get the Pro mic cal file loaded correctly when it should be...... he-he, wife says I'm a bit snarky today.

Seriously, though, that file-loading capability is certainly another big value-added feature of using Pro in the Onkyo line.

Awww, you edited it.
post #280 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very observant of you. I have become aware that sometimes my attempts at humor are misinterpreted.

"Names were changed to protect the innocent."

post #281 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Very observant of you. I have become aware that sometimes my attempts at humor are misinterpreted.

No, I think that they are interpreted as attempts at humor. ... much like many of my posts.
post #282 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awww, you edited it.

post #283 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Wireless member

post #284 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^He-he. Slow day on the thread. OK, back on topic:

I reloaded the XT32 non-Pro standard autosetup 8 pos calibration. It takes about 10 minutes so we are in faulty auditory memory territory for A/B. That being said, listening to Fagan's Morph the Cat in HiRes MC with XT 32 alone sounds Very Good. But the bass is not as tight and the integration of surrounds not as good, overall not as smooth and polished as Pro, which is in the Sublime category (2 steps up the SoM SQ scale from very good). Basically I perceive the same differences I'd noted before, when going in the opposite direction.

post #285 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I reloaded the XT32 non-Pro standard autosetup 8 pos calibration. It takes about 10 minutes so we are in faulty auditory memory territory for A/B. That being said, listening to Fagan's Morph the Cat in HiRes MC with XT 32 alone sounds Very Good. But the bass is not as tight and the integration of surrounds not as good, overall not as smooth and polished as Pro, which is in the Sublime category (2 steps up the SoM SQ scale from very good). Basically I perceive the same differences I'd noted before, when going in the opposite direction.

I don't think that measuring could be done to confirm or refute it, or a double-blind A/B/X test, so that is my admittedly completely subjective assessment as well. Pro calibration adds yet another level of sheen to an already well-polished sound.

Jeff
post #286 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I am very happy I took the time to redo the Pro calibration on my 80.2 with the new firmware. The sound is more articulate and pops more compared to my previous Pro calibration. Everything sounds amazing....just as it should. The only semi-objective thing I can say is that after my previous Pro calibration (with firmware bug) is that I felt like my normal listening level of -20 was not as loud as it used to be with my Pro calibration on the 9.9 as well as the standard mic calibration on the 9.9. I found myself having to manually raise the center channel to get the dialogue where I wanted it....and generally creeping up with the volume to -18 or even -17 sometimes....to get the same pop and wow effect.

I also feel the bass is cleaner and detailed while remaining powerful and strong where it should.

After this calibration on the 80.2...... -20 volume sounds like it should...it is impressive overall and dialogue is louder and clearer than before. Outstanding.

Thanks Kal!
post #287 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Why not set distances and levels w/the 4311?

The 4311 can only set the distances and levels for 2 subs. Besides that Audyssey wasn't detecting the correct levels (ane possibly the delays) of my subs. Therefore the result of Audyssey filters didn't end up as it *predicted*.

The DCX2496 can set the distances, levels, and phase for up to 6 subs (automatically if you hook up a microphone as well ).

If you are interested in how badly off Audyssey's *predictions* were in my case, as well as, how I resolved it with the DCX2496 go here. It's a short read but highly informative. The before and after graphs of using the DCX2496 and not are anything but subtle.

How to use the DCX2496 to set the levels and distances/delays for up to 6 subs.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #288 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

I am very happy I took the time to redo the Pro calibration on my 80.2 with the new firmware. The sound is more articulate and pops more compared to my previous Pro calibration. Everything sounds amazing....just as it should. The only semi-objective thing I can say is that after my previous Pro calibration (with firmware bug) is that I felt like my normal listening level of -20 was not as loud as it used to be with my Pro calibration on the 9.9 as well as the standard mic calibration on the 9.9. I found myself having to manually raise the center channel to get the dialogue where I wanted it....and generally creeping up with the volume to -18 or even -17 sometimes....to get the same pop and wow effect.

I also feel the bass is cleaner and detailed while remaining powerful and strong where it should.

After this calibration on the 80.2...... -20 volume sounds like it should...it is impressive overall and dialogue is louder and clearer than before. Outstanding.

Thanks Kal!

You are welcome. I can only add that I was extremely frustrated during this process. First, I was disappointed with the AudysseyPro results. Second, I was annoyed when I found out the cause and could not obtain a solution from Integra. Third, I was pissed that a solution was offered but not admitted. All's well now.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #289 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Kal!

And so this shall henceforth be referred to as a Kalibration...

post #290 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

You are welcome. I can only add that I was extremely frustrated during this process. First, I was disappointed with the AudysseyPro results. Second, I was annoyed when I found out the cause and could not obtain a solution from Integra. Third, I was pissed that a solution was offered but not admitted. All's well now.

The third point is the most distressing. The lack of open dialogue on this "minor" issue is very worrisome.

Too bad it is such a good unit. I will think very carefully when I upgrade the 80.2 (about another manufacturer when ever that might be. )
post #291 of 5724 Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

post #292 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Kalibrations, also require warnings....

"Achtung: Das machine ist nicht fer gerfingerpoken und mittengraben. Ist easy snappen der springenwerk blowenfusen, und corkenpoppin mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fer gewerken by das dumpkofen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights"
post #293 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

What I have found to be consitent with Audyssey Pro in my small room is that it conistently shows a higher -3 db point than my sub actually has when I have the gain on the sub such that the audyssey sets the trim at or near 0. But as I raise the gain on the sub (such that Audyssey finds a high negative trim) the -3 db point is more believable (still high but more accurate).

Maybe you cannot "read the before graphs in this way.

I do know that when the gain is lower on the sub then Audyssey finds a higher -3 db point, and ends up boosting the frequencies in the 20's seemingly too much. I found that the sub was limiting with Audyssey and not limiting with Audyssey off (Hurt Locker and WOW at reference level).

When I use a calibration with the gain on the sub higher, the -3 db point is lower, and Audyssey seems to do less correction in the 20 frequencies. The sub is not limiting with Audyssey on using these calibrations. I know Audyssey claims to not correct below the -3 db point, but this seems to be the situation in my room.

The only thing I could think is that Audyssey is finding the response to be higher below 20 (where the graph shows no information), dips as it approaches 20 and then comes back up around 30 hz. So maybe Audyssey is thinking the -3 db point arpund 15 hz and is trying to correct a dip from 18 -30 hz.

I think this must be connected to the challenges of measuring low frequencies in small rooms. Just my guess.
post #294 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
post #295 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Thanks Kal!

Based on your description, I'd say that your previous calibration was negatively affected by the firmware issue, and that now you are operating properly.

Nice, isn't it?

Jeff
post #296 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I thought it was rather good. I'll get my coat....

Feri gets his hat. Must be a cultural thing.

Jeff
post #297 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #298 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7561

If you like Al di Meola, Jeff, you may have heard Passion, Grace and Fire and Friday Night In San Francisco. If not, I suspect you will love them. Not only are they sensational examples of that genre of jazz, but they are amazingly well recorded with that 'being there' feeling. And they are both available on SA-CD too...

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #299 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

or a double-blind A/B/X test

Just pick up another AVR and some switching gear and Bob's your uncle.
post #300 of 5724 Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Is there anyway to use my audyssey pro mic with the AS-EQ1?

If so, how do you do this?

Asking because I think now for sure my audyssey sub EQ is faulty, and now looking into the AS-EQ1 to replace it.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page