The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 5561 Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I have a recurring problem that I wanted to share to see if anyone is experiencing the same, and to see if there is a solution. It's not a big problem, but annoying nevertheless.

I have a Denon 4311, so the connection between the AVR and Pro is a serial-to-USB cable. My laptop is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, and I and using the Prolific USB-to-Serial drivers.

The issue is this: if the laptop perceives that there has been inactivity on the USB port for a specific time, the port times out. I haven't been able to measure the timeout value, but it is probably 3-5 minutes. So, if I take too long to move the mic into a new measurement position, or I get distracted, the next time I click on "measure", Pro issues a communications I/O error because the USB port has timed out. The immediate fix is simple--unplug the USB cable, re-connect it, and click on "measure" again, and Pro is happy once again.

I really would like a permanent resolution if anyone has a suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 5561 Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Added on:
Pardon me, I am new to this thread and Pro kit.
Where is the best place to get a set pro kit online?

ONKYO | EAD | SILNOTE | WIREWORLD | KIMBER | TARALABS | RPGC | PARADIGM | PBK Sub Calibration
post #423 of 5561 Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I have a recurring problem that I wanted to share to see if anyone is experiencing the same, and to see if there is a solution. It's not a big problem, but annoying nevertheless.

I have a Denon 4311, so the connection between the AVR and Pro is a serial-to-USB cable. My laptop is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, and I and using the Prolific USB-to-Serial drivers.

The issue is this: if the laptop perceives that there has been inactivity on the USB port for a specific time, the port times out. I haven't been able to measure the timeout value, but it is probably 3-5 minutes. So, if I take too long to move the mic into a new measurement position, or I get distracted, the next time I click on "measure", Pro issues a communications I/O error because the USB port has timed out. The immediate fix is simple--unplug the USB cable, re-connect it, and click on "measure" again, and Pro is happy once again.

I really would like a permanent resolution if anyone has a suggestion.

I presume that you don't have the power supply connected & the port shuts down to conserve the batt; you might try using the L/T with the power connected.

--Carl
post #424 of 5561 Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldjoe View Post

Added on:
Pardon me, I am new to this thread and Pro kit.
Where is the best place to get a set pro kit online?

If you go to http://www.audyssey.com/installers/installer-program, you will be asked to contact a professional installer in your area, from whom you can purchase the product. If your local installer can't help, call Audyssey tech support and ask for Luke. He will be able to advise you.

The Pro Kit costs $550. The required AVR-specific license file costs an additional $150. The latest software version is 3.4, which can be downloaded from the Audyssey installer web site, http://installer.audyssey.com/Home.aspx.
post #425 of 5561 Old 08-27-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Both 4311 and 5508 are paired with EAD PowerMaster 5ch amp.

The EAD PM amps are one of the best amps ever made. My PM2000 smoked the Theta Dreadnaught in my system, wasn't even close.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #426 of 5561 Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

I presume that you don't have the power supply connected & the port shuts down to conserve the batt; you might try using the L/T with the power connected.

That would not be a correct assumption--the laptop is connected to power. I'm thinking there might be a setting to enable/disable power conservation (regardless of whether the laptop is connected or not). However, looking at the driver detailed options (see attached), none of the options seem to apply.
LL
LL
post #427 of 5561 Old 08-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
If you go to http://www.audyssey.com/installers/installer-program, you will be asked to contact a professional installer in your area, from whom you can purchase the product. If your local installer can't help, call Audyssey tech support and ask for Luke. He will be able to advise you.

The Pro Kit costs $550. The required AVR-specific license file costs an additional $150. The latest software version is 3.4, which can be downloaded from the Audyssey installer web site, http://installer.audyssey.com/Home.aspx.
Thanks for tips and guide . I was initially under the impression that the Pro Kit costs $550 comes with license as well.
I am residing in overseas and will drop audyssey a note for next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post
The EAD PM amps are one of the best amps ever made. My PM2000 smoked the Theta Dreadnaught in my system, wasn't even close.
Yeah, I love the amp more these days.

ONKYO | EAD | SILNOTE | WIREWORLD | KIMBER | TARALABS | RPGC | PARADIGM | PBK Sub Calibration
post #428 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Pro Kit is sold separately. Someone might be selling a kit and thinking they can include a license, but that is generally not possible.
post #429 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Pro Kit is sold separately. Someone might be selling a kit and thinking they can include a license, but that is generally not possible.

Right, the license and the kit were always separate. The license stays with the processor. It is only transferrable by the installer or kit owner who registered it to another processor by the same manufacturer.
post #430 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

Right, the license and the kit were always separate. The license stays with the processor. It is only transferrable by the installer or kit owner who registered it to another processor by the same manufacturer.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but from my understanding the license stays with the pre-pro or receiver and cannot be transferred. From what I understand the license I bought with my 5508 will stay with that pre-pro, if I then bought a 5509 I would have to purchase another Pro license for the 5509 even though I own a kit. Am I wrong?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #431 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Maybe I am reading this wrong but from my understanding the license stays with the pre-pro or receiver and cannot be transferred. From what I understand the license I bought with my 5508 will stay with that pre-pro, if I then bought a 5509 I would have to purchase another Pro license for the 5509 even though I own a kit. Am I wrong?

This is also the way I understand it, after contacting Audyssey a few months ago to confirm. I was told that the only way a license can be transferred is if your Processor is faulty and is replaced with a new/different one.
post #432 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I'd stick with the 5508.
post #433 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uydguy View Post

Looks good! I recommend here! http://351100.tk/33

WTF? Spam?
post #434 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

WTF? Spam?

report that post
post #435 of 5561 Old 08-29-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd stick with the 5508.

Your right, no real reason to go with the 5509 from the specs I have seen so far.

post #436 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I have done it as part of a normal upgrade process. There was never a question of whether the unit was faulty or not. Just contact Luke at Audyssey Support. But, it must be to the same manufacturer. I do not even think you could transfer an Onkyo license to an Integra, though they are the same company.
post #437 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have done it as part of a normal upgrade process. There was never a question of whether the unit was faulty or not. Just contact Luke at Audyssey Support. But, it must be to the same manufacturer. I do not even think you could transfer an Onkyo license to an Integra, though they are the same company.

That's great to know.

Thanks for the info.

post #438 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:

But when was this? Maybe Audyssey have since decided to no longer allow such things.
post #439 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have dropped Audyssey a mail for further guidance and instruction to purchase a Pro Kit.
Say my friend and I are having the same model of processor, how many license is required?

post #440 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
^1 license per unit.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #441 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have dropped Audyssey a mail for further guidance and instruction to purchase a Pro Kit.
Say my friend and I are having the same model of processor, how many license is required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

^1 license per unit.

EDIT: Found my answer, each license is tagged to a specific serial number of an installer ready device. Thanks

post #442 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have done it as part of a normal upgrade process...

Interesting. When I asked Luke if I could buy a license for my 4310 to my planned-in-the-near-future 4311/A100 he said no. When I asked Luke if I could transfer the registered-to-a-4311 license that was offered with my used Pro kit to my 4310 he said no. But he was nice about it.

So though I had the kit in hand, I waited till I got the A100. That was tough but I did it to save $150.

post #443 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

I had to pay again when I replaced 4810 w/4311.

Noah
post #444 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Interesting. When I asked Luke if I could buy a license for my 4310 and then transfer it to my planned-in-the-near-future 4311/A100 he said no. When I asked Luke if I could transfer the registered-to-a-4311 license that was offered with my used Pro kit to my 4310 he said no. But he was nice about it.

So though I had the kit in hand, I waited till I got the A100. That was tough but I did it to save $150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I had to pay again when I replaced 4810 w/4311.

An unregistered license can be transferred within a manufacturer's family. I purchased two for the Onk 885 and never used the second. When I bought my 5508, I transferred it myself on the Installer's website.

A registered license can be transferred at Audyssey's discretion from a defective unit to a different unit. But generally, a license that is registered stays with that unit.

Jeff
post #445 of 5561 Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^Excellent clarification, Jeff. I'll edit my post to be more precise.

post #446 of 5561 Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Hey guys,

I am going to be picking up an Integra DTR-70.2 in the next week or two (as long as my dealer can get one ordered in since the 70.3 was announced). My current receiver is a DTR-40.2 with basic MultEQ.

I have been told that jumping from MultEQ to XT 32 will be a very noticeable difference, so I have to ask: Is dishing out another $500-700 for Audyssey Pro going to make the same noticeable difference from XT 32 to Audyssey Pro?

Upgrading to the DTR-70.2 was a little stretch of my budget, but tacking on Audyssey Pro would definitely put a lot more strain on my wallet. If the consensus is that Pro makes a difference but nothing remarkable over XT 32 than I will bypass getting it. But if it truly does make a night and day difference than I will find a way.

Thanks.
post #447 of 5561 Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

In my personal experience Audyssey Pro makes the biggest difference with music, with movies the difference is not as big and IMO not needed.

If you don't already have room treatments I would use the $500 for Pro and invest it in room treatment instead, would make more of a difference.

post #448 of 5561 Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Guess I should have added that information in my post: My room is strictly Movie/Game/DirecTV.....no music. So I'm assuming that just reaffirms the notion to not get Pro?

Thanks for input so far!
post #449 of 5561 Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^Unless you're lucky enough to find a used kit, it's $550, plus $150 for license=$700. And IME it is NOT "night and day". I don't get the same "bump up" from Pro as I did upgrading from XT to XT32.

Pro's big value-added for me is the distinct and significant SQ improvements for MC music. It does improve film, but probably not noticably to the same degree as music, as mj mentioned. The customization and measuring capabilities are nice plusses too.

post #450 of 5561 Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome, thanks for the input guys!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread