The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 184 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5491 of 5593 Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 PM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Nicely thought out. For now, I would leave Audyssey out, partly because it's not yet clearly an Audyssey problem and partly to avoid ping pong.

Do the telnet and try Pro again.

If that doesn't work, consult with Onk on how to force a re-flash of the firmware.

Jeff

Jeff,

Firstly thanks to you Ganymed4, Lesmore and AustinJerry for all you further support.

Bearing in mind there is unlikely to be an issue with the Multi EQ Pro software and on the basis the 5508 is saying it has the latest firmware I felt I should try to get the router out of the chain so to eliminate that as an issue.

I approached Audyssey on this and would ask that you take a look at the correspondence below with the latest communication on top;

Customer Support Team, Jun 02 09:03 AM:
It doesn't matter if DHCP is on or off, as long as the IP address matches the one in the receiver settings. Onkyo would have to advise on how they implement firmware.




Lee Crane, May 30 05:14 PM:
I disconnected both the laptop and 5508 from the router. Now neither devices have a connection to the internet.

I connect the laptop directly to the 5508 via Ethernet cable and boot up laptop.

I switch on the 5508 and access 'Network'. DHCP is set to on and I switch this to off and save the setting. I note the IP address as 192.168.0.100 and enter to Multi EQ Pro. I get a 'timeout message'

I go back in to 'Network' and switch DHCP to on. The display does not offer an IP address so I try 192.168.0.100. with Multi EQ Pro and get the timeout message again.

Please advise which, if either, procedure is correct.


Customer Support Team, May 30 09:36 AM:
Any Ethernet cable will work, Cat5E or Cat6 is recommended. Connect directly to the device, turn it on and go to the network setting inside the receiver. It may take a minute or two before the network settings are visible in the menu tree. Write down the IP address and return out of the setup menu, save if asked. Enter the IP address into MultEQ Pro.



Lee Crane, May 29 08:33 PM:

I have both devices connected up via LAN through a home router. As the laptop can 'see' the Onkyo I doubt there is a connectivity issue but I would ask if you feel it is worth by passing the router and connecting directly to the 5508. If you feel that is worth a try I will need specific instructions on how to configure the connection and I have been told that I may need an Ethernet crossover cable


Jeff would you do me a big favour and see if you can hook up your Multi EQ Pro via a simple Ethernet cable as Audyssey are suggesting. I just got the 'timeout' message.

I'm going to do the ping test later and will post again.

Regards,

Lee.
008 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5492 of 5593 Old 06-03-2014, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Lee, you are very welcome. Because most of us went through this kind or similar trouble, we know how difficult this is.

However, a straight connection between the 5508 and the laptop without any kind of active network equipment in between, does not work. Except the 5508 or your laptop have an auto-sense feature, that the transmitting and receiving cables needs to be swapped on one side of the cable. What you need to have is that the receiving terminal on one side is connected to the transmission terminal on the other.
Usually Ethernet cables have a one-to-one cabling. That's why you need a special cable and this kind of cable is called null-modem or patch cable.

Unless you have such kind of cable or your laptop or the 5508 has auto-switching capability, it won't work.

You can see that it is working in case both LEDs on the Ethernet port of the laptop or the 5508 are on.

If you put a hub or router in between the two devices, this will do this switching for you. Because both devices were designed as end-systems and not as hubs or routers, it is unlikely that they have this auto-switching capability. The Denon 4520 has a build-in four port hub and should be able to do this, but not a 5508, which has only one Ethernet port.

Hope this explains the background a bit for you.

Second, configuration. You need to configure both sides - laptop and 5508 - with a fixed, non overlapping IP-address and subnet mask. So, what you have to do is to configure both network interfaces manually. The DNS and gateway are not important and should be empty - all '0's.

You can configure e.g. the laptop with IP address 10.0.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The 5508 can then get 10.0.0.2 and the same subnet mask. To configure this, you need to switch off DHCP, because both will get a manual IP address. Then connect both directly with the X-cable/null-modem/patch-cable. Then start Audyssey and type the 10.0.0.2 address or enter this into your browser in the format of http://10.0.0.2.

This should do the trick.

Please correct me somebody, if I made a mistake or forgot something. Also, please excuse any funny wording I used, I am not so familiar with the correct US American expressions for some things.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Markus

PS: I doubt, if this will make a difference to the router connected, but it is worth a try. If you have problems getting this X-cable, any Ethernet hub connected between the laptop and the 5508 will also do. A hub is a layer 2 (MAC-layer) device and does not influence the IP level (layer 3). But not a router. This would be a layer 3 device - network layer - which influences the IP level. That's why it has the IP address, DHCP and DNS settings. Just for your explanation, this is according the ISO OSI layer model. Layer 1 is the physical layer - cable. Layer 2 is the Medium Access Control layer (MAC) - network interface/hub - and layer 3 is the network layer - IP address etc. Layer 4 is TCP (Transport Control Protocol), layer 5 and 6 are empty and 7 is e.g. a browser.
008 likes this.
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #5493 of 5593 Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 AM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Markus,

Thanks for that very informative post. Will this do the trick ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-M-Ethernet-Cat-6-RJ45-LAN-Network-Cable-RJ45-CrossOver-NEW-/300923266838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item46106ca716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Lee, you are very welcome. Because most of us went through this kind or similar trouble, we know how difficult this is.

.
008 is offline  
post #5494 of 5593 Old 06-03-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Here Nor There..
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yes that's A X/over cable, JB Hi Fi, Harvey Norman or most PC Shops should sell them smile.gif
cinema mad is offline  
post #5495 of 5593 Old 06-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Agreed... smile.gif
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #5496 of 5593 Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
008,

The AVS'ers are correct and the Audyssey advice is ... not. Perhaps they misunderstood.

An ethernet crossover cable is needed.

Then, as Marcus posted, IP address need to be manually assigned to both laptop and 5508. "You can configure e.g. the laptop with IP address 10.0.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The 5508 can then get 10.0.0.2 and the same subnet mask. To configure this, you need to switch off DHCP, because both will get a manual IP address. Then connect both directly with the X-cable/null-modem/patch-cable. Then start Audyssey and type the 10.0.0.2 address or enter this into your browser in the format of http://10.0.0.2."

Report back!

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5497 of 5593 Old 06-04-2014, 05:29 PM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

User,

smile.gif

Your results are exactly what I'd expect .... and inconclusive. Remove the ' from both ends and try again. Those were posted to express what characters needed to be entered and not intended to be part of the character string.

Jeff

Guys, Whilst I am waiting the new crossover cable I tried the ping to 10.0.0.2 60128 (Fing confirmed 10.0.0.2) here is the result:



Lee
008 is offline  
post #5498 of 5593 Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Actually, you connected via Telnet. At this point I would blame the 5508. Not the network, your computer or Audyssey. The 5508. But let's wait for the crossover cable before proceeding with that assumption.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5499 of 5593 Old 06-05-2014, 01:02 AM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Actually, you connected via Telnet. At this point I would blame the 5508. Not the network, your computer or Audyssey. The 5508. But let's wait for the crossover cable before proceeding with that assumption.

Jeff

Jeff, for the sake of my understanding, when you say I have connected to Telnet does that mean that Audyssey can definitely communicate with the 5508 but the 5508 is not responding to its commands?

Crossover cable should arrive tomorrow.

Lee
008 is offline  
post #5500 of 5593 Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post

Jeff, for the sake of my understanding, when you say I have connected to Telnet does that mean that Audyssey can definitely communicate with the 5508 but the 5508 is not responding to its commands?

Crossover cable should arrive tomorrow.

Lee

Your computer's telnet can talk to the 5508, which implies that Audyssey can "talk" to it. The "firmware" notice you get confirms that they are "talking." At this point, trying the crossover cable is one last think on the check list before having a go at Onkyo.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5501 of 5593 Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quick question: Which setup manual to use for the AV8801?

I see one for "Denon AVP-A1HDCI, AVR-5308CI, AVR-4308CI, and AVR-3808CI" on the installer website, I'm assuming I just follow that? In other words, should I use an RS232 cable and the left "Aux 1" input on the front of the AV8801 for connecting the pro kit?

Thanks!

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #5502 of 5593 Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 PM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Actually, you connected via Telnet. At this point I would blame the 5508. Not the network, your computer or Audyssey. The 5508. But let's wait for the crossover cable before proceeding with that assumption.

Jeff

Jeff, Mystery solved...................I think.

Had a communication back from Onkyo as follows;

Item 1
Please try to do "deep clear" again with the instructions below:
1) Set the Volume to Default Level:
30(absolute)/-52dB(relative)
2)Push and hold 'Memory' - then push 'Standby/On'
There will be some weird text on front panel display at this point. Press 'Return'. (see attached)
3) It will show "All Clear??", then press 'Return' again.
4) At this timing, unplug the ac at once. <- additional point

Item 2
Confirm that the "Network Control" is set to "Enable".
Item 3
Confirm that port number setting of AVR is same as setting of Audyssey Pro software.

Best Regards

Yuji Ishikura



Following this procedure allowed the Multi EQ Pro to communicate with the 5508. So for those also going through these difficulties what I have learned is:

The latest Multi EQ Pro should be installed.
The latest Onkyo Firmware version should be installed (Onkyo AVR Firmware updates are cumulative).
The IP address of the AVR should be confirmed in 'Devices' or 'Fing phone app' before entering in to Multi EQ Pro.
Onkyo AVR- HDCP must be 'On'
Onkyo AVR- Control must be 'On'
Use the above procedure for troubleshooting. ITEM 1 UNPLUGGING IS ESSENTIAL.

Now I have a crossover cable on order I will still attempt to connect up using this method also.

Lee
008 is offline  
post #5503 of 5593 Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Quick question: Which setup manual to use for the AV8801?

I see one for "Denon AVP-A1HDCI, AVR-5308CI, AVR-4308CI, and AVR-3808CI" on the installer website, I'm assuming I just follow that? In other words, should I use an RS232 cable and the left "Aux 1" input on the front of the AV8801 for connecting the pro kit?

Thanks!

Yes.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #5504 of 5593 Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Yes.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #5505 of 5593 Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 PM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A quick post to offer my sincere thanks to all those that have chipped in with helpful posts to get Multi EQ Pro working in my system.

Special thanks to Jeff and Ganymed4 who didn't give up even though I nearly threw in the towel on many occasions.

Lee
008 is offline  
post #5506 of 5593 Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 PM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I'm up and running.................wow! what a difference to Bass Management. No muddiness and for the first time deep bass can be differentiated from Bass. Vocals are clear and I'm running a significantly higher volume level without any distortion or uncomfortable parts in the sound tracks listened too so far. Big smile on my face..........

Couple of questions;

The Mic I am using is quite old. Whilst everything sounds does the accuracy of Mics degrade over time?

I am using an active sub which has a manual switch on the back panel that I set to 'THX' when I did the sound check so presumably the sub response will be tailing off at 80HZ as per THX specs. The crossover on the side speakers was calculated by multi EQ Pro at 150 HZ. So my question is if I use the multi EQ Pro crossover on the rears and keep the internal Sub switched to THX will there be a hole in the response between 80 and 150HZ for the rear channels or does it not work that way?

I often listen late at night with lower volumes. I find Dialog is often too quiet at lower volumes. Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the volume of dialog at these lower volume settings?

Lee
008 is offline  
post #5507 of 5593 Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post

OK, I'm up and running.................wow! what a difference to Bass Management. No muddiness and for the first time deep bass can be differentiated from Bass. Vocals are clear and I'm running a significantly higher volume level without any distortion or uncomfortable parts in the sound tracks listened too so far. Big smile on my face..........

Couple of questions;

The Mic I am using is quite old. Whilst everything sounds does the accuracy of Mics degrade over time?

I am using an active sub which has a manual switch on the back panel that I set to 'THX' when I did the sound check so presumably the sub response will be tailing off at 80HZ as per THX specs. The crossover on the side speakers was calculated by multi EQ Pro at 150 HZ. So my question is if I use the multi EQ Pro crossover on the rears and keep the internal Sub switched to THX will there be a hole in the response between 80 and 150HZ for the rear channels or does it not work that way?

I often listen late at night with lower volumes. I find Dialog is often too quiet at lower volumes. Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the volume of dialog at these lower volume settings?

Lee

 

Regarding the mic, if it works, then I don't think there is any cause for concern.  My kit is over two years old, has been used literally several hundred times, and I have no concerns that the mic is not functioning as it did in the beginning.

 

Others may have different opinions, but my recommendation is to always defeat any controls on the back of the sub prior to calibration, and leave them defeated.  This would include the THX switch, any internal sub crossover network, and the polarity/phase should be set to zero.  Let Audyssey do what it is supposed to do.

 

For late night viewing, I assume you have Dynamic EQ turned on.  You can also experiment with Dynamic Volume to see if there is an improvement.  I am not familiar with your model AVR, but my Denon 4520 has a Dialog Enhancement feature in the Audyssey settings menu that helps improve dialog intelligibility.

008 likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #5508 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 01:23 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Thanks!

FYI, "setup manuals" for models not listed on Audyssey's download page are actually IN THE PRO SOFTWARE.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5509 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post

A quick post to offer my sincere thanks to all those that have chipped in with helpful posts to get Multi EQ Pro working in my system.

Special thanks to Jeff and Ganymed4 who didn't give up even though I nearly threw in the towel on many occasions.

Lee

Ill comment on your next post when I wake up .... zzzz, but your are very welcome. We love a mystery. And, somebody correct me if I am wrong, I believe chasing down your gremlin has expanded our knowledge a bit; i do not remember the "remove AC" instruction before when doing a "deep reset."

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5510 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Member
 
Lesmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would like to take this opportunist to applaud Jeff and Ganymed4 for there relentless support given to 008
I was exhausted following the numerous posts but they never gave up
Well done guys you are a credit to the forum
Lesmor is online now  
post #5511 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post

I would like to take this opportunist to applaud Jeff and Ganymed4 for there relentless support given to 008
I was exhausted following the numerous posts but they never gave up
Well done guys you are a credit to the forum

Thank you very much Lesmor and also thank you Lee. Thank you Lesmor for your very kind words. It seems Jeff and me are 'made from the same kind of wood' smile.gif

I can't talk for Jeff but for me, I know, that it works and it is just a pity to see that somebody can't get it to work because he or her has not enough knowledge to get things going. It is the best reward for me to read Lee's last post about enjoying the sound improvement he could achieve. That's for me then worth the time I spent.

If at the end, everybody is happy, this makes me happy too,

Thank you guys for your positive reaction, which assures me doing the right thing. Let's keep up the good discussions.

Markus
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #5512 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post

OK, I'm up and running.................wow! what a difference to Bass Management. No muddiness and for the first time deep bass can be differentiated from Bass. Vocals are clear and I'm running a significantly higher volume level without any distortion or uncomfortable parts in the sound tracks listened too so far. Big smile on my face..........

Couple of questions;

The Mic I am using is quite old. Whilst everything sounds does the accuracy of Mics degrade over time?

I am using an active sub which has a manual switch on the back panel that I set to 'THX' when I did the sound check so presumably the sub response will be tailing off at 80HZ as per THX specs. The crossover on the side speakers was calculated by multi EQ Pro at 150 HZ. So my question is if I use the multi EQ Pro crossover on the rears and keep the internal Sub switched to THX will there be a hole in the response between 80 and 150HZ for the rear channels or does it not work that way?

I often listen late at night with lower volumes. I find Dialog is often too quiet at lower volumes. Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the volume of dialog at these lower volume settings?

Lee

I am very happy to read that you could get major improvements. AustinJerry answered most of your questions already and I agree to his point of view. Just to give you an example: You see on TV or in music clips often large, grey microphones, with 'nylons' as wind shield in front of it, singers are using in the studio. Sometimes you can see a logo on the mike and in some cases, you can identify the mike by this logo and it is e.g. a 'Neumann' U67 or similar mike. These mikes are since decades out of production - 60's, 70's. Some of them use tubes for amplification, that's why they are so big.

They are still in use of today and there are rare to find but have an unprecedented sound. So, as AustinJerry wrote, there is nothing to worry about regarding an older mike.

About the sub settings I also agree to AustinJerry's post.

But I want to answer your question about the rears. I am having the same surround speaker problems as you have with your rears. I also had the same question, which goes even a bit further than your question: Is the frequency range below 150 Hz - in your case - then untreated by Audyssey, if I lower the X-over frequency to e.g. 80 Hz, instead of 150 Hz?

First of all, yes, there is a hole and yes, it works this way. However, this hole is not a 'hole' in this sense, that there will be no sound emitted in this frequency range. The reason is first of all, that other speakers are taking over this frequency range and second that psychoacoustics says, that the human ability to locate sound events does not work for frequencies below 300 - 200 Hz. This is the subwoofer concept. They can be placed everywhere in the room but you can't locate them. This also applies to 150 Hz and your rears.

That means, you can trust Audyssey and leave it this way or manually correct the x-over frequency, which I did. However, you must be 100% sure, that your speakers can take this low frequency. Low frequencies require the most power from the amp and if your speakers can't take this - e.g. very small bookshelf speakers - you add more distortion to the sound, especially when the amp is also very small and not capable to deliver the power or even destroy them, by burning the coils in the speakers. The latter is a very worst case scenario and doesn't happen this often but can happen.

The safest way, in my understanding, is to check the speakers manufacturers specs and set the crossover accordingly. Audyssey has a reason to set this x-over frequency but it is not really known or published why Audyssey does this.

In my case, I am using THX U2 surrounds, specified for 80 Hz and Audyssey wanted a x-over frequency at 120 Hz. I even send the speakers to the manufacturer for checking and the result was, that they are OK. Then, I set the x-over to 80 Hz and the difference between consumer Audyssey and Pro is, that the filters are calculated after the change of x-over frequencies and not after the filters have been programmed in the AVR and then change the x-over in the AVR, like for the consumer version.
This results in an untreated frequency area for the consumer version, if you lower the x-over frequency. But not with Pro.

To make a long text short: If Audyssey sets the x.over frequencies - in your opinion - too high and your speakers and amps can cope or are specified for a lower x-over frequency, you can change the x-overs in the last step before calculating the filters or - which is very nice with Pro - load the measurement you did before - assuming nothing has changed in your setup and room - and change the x-overs, calculate the filters and save them to your AVR.

However, you should not expect this much difference. Only if the soundtrack uses the speakers for dedicated sound effects - especially regarding surrounds and rear - you may be able to hear a difference but if you look at the frequency chart of Audyssey, the low range, below the cut-off point, Audyssey determined, is already at - 6 dB and more, that setting the x-over point lower has no or only little audible outcome.

Hope this helps and please correct me somebody, if I am wrong. Thank you.
008 likes this.
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #5513 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post

 The crossover on the side speakers was calculated by multi EQ Pro at 150 HZ. So my question is if I use the multi EQ Pro crossover on the rears and keep the internal Sub switched to THX will there be a hole in the response between 80 and 150HZ for the rear channels or does it not work that way?

Lee

 

When you ran the Pro calibration, you were likely presented with several choices for surround crossovers.  Do you remember the other choices?  Was 150Hz the lowest choice that was offered?

 

If you leave the crossover at 150Hz, then frequencies below 150Hz are routed to the sub.  Assuming you follow the advice regarding the sub settings, the sub should have no issue reproducing the redirected bass all the way to 150Hz.  In my opinion, as long as you maintain a surround crossover value that is in the recommended list, you should be OK, and there will be no gap in the frequency response. 

AustinJerry is offline  
post #5514 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Lesmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Interesting write up Markus

Pro also set my THX U2 L/R at 120 Hz and the centre which is an identical speaker at 90 Hz

I have now set them all to 90 Hz

All surrounds inc. the width and height were set by Ausyssey Pro at 60 Hz even though they are also rated at 80Hz , it sounded very good so has been no concern up till now.

Your post has given me concern to the possibility of speaker damage so I have now also increased them to 90 Hz

Hopefully because of surround channel content 60 Hz was not going to cause speaker damage but to be on the safe side I have changed them

Thanks again for some more excellent content.
Lesmor is online now  
post #5515 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post

OK, I'm up and running.................wow! what a difference to Bass Management. No muddiness and for the first time deep bass can be differentiated from Bass. Vocals are clear and I'm running a significantly higher volume level without any distortion or uncomfortable parts in the sound tracks listened too so far. Big smile on my face..........

Couple of questions;

The Mic I am using is quite old. Whilst everything sounds does the accuracy of Mics degrade over time?

I am using an active sub which has a manual switch on the back panel that I set to 'THX' when I did the sound check so presumably the sub response will be tailing off at 80HZ as per THX specs. The crossover on the side speakers was calculated by multi EQ Pro at 150 HZ. So my question is if I use the multi EQ Pro crossover on the rears and keep the internal Sub switched to THX will there be a hole in the response between 80 and 150HZ for the rear channels or does it not work that way?

I often listen late at night with lower volumes. I find Dialog is often too quiet at lower volumes. Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the volume of dialog at these lower volume settings?

Lee

Alrighty, I am awake now but might have only a small window before the Dark 'n' Stormy in front of me changes that. wink.gif

Everything you describe with respect to sound quality with Pro is *exactly* what Pro brings. On the bottom end, ringing/overhang is reduced and that makes EVERYTHING sound cleaner and clearer. On the top end, it brings uncanny timbre-matching so that sounds panning from screen to side/rear and around the room are unchanged.

THX setting on a sub ... subs don't have crossovers, so no "hole" is created. My guess is that THX mode extends the bottom end as is required to be THX certified. To AJ's position of getting the settings out of the way ... with which I wholeheartedly agree ... I would say that THX mode falls into that category.

The other posts on the late night dialog level are probably right, but I would want to rule out room acoustics first. Snap and post some pics of your room ... the center speaker location, the side walls, the floor between you and the center channel speaker and the ceiling.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5516 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post

Interesting write up Markus

Pro also set my THX U2 L/R at 120 Hz and the centre which is an identical speaker at 90 Hz

I have now set them all to 90 Hz

All surrounds inc. the width and height were set by Ausyssey Pro at 60 Hz even though they are also rated at 80Hz , it sounded very good so has been no concern up till now.

Your post has given me concern to the possibility of speaker damage so I have now also increased them to 90 Hz

Hopefully because of surround channel content 60 Hz was not going to cause speaker damage but to be on the safe side I have changed them

And I recently went the other way. After "fighting" the Pro recommendation list and setting a x-over at 80Hz (or above if that was not an option), I set my L&R to 50Hz to match the top o' the list 50Hz Pro offered for CC. Even though it should have sounded the same either way, that brought a fullness to my system that made me kick myself for not doing it sooner. My system is THX Ultra M&K S-150/SS-150 all around. I had always been mostly concerned about my amp crapping out at high SPLs and spkr damage from that more than spkr damage from having them reproduce sound below the design limit. But then I don't really know that they are purposely limited below 80Hz ... some research may be in order.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5517 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Should I turn off "Midrange Compensation?"

My speakers are three way, but do not crossover in the compensation range, I think the answer is yes?
http://www.klipsch.com/la-scala-ii-floorstanding-speaker/details

Aside from the reasoning found here and the FAQs: https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/410117-midrange-compensation, why would anyone want a dip in what many would argue is the most common/important frequency range!?! Just seems silly to me.

Also, was my consumer calibrated AV8801 doing this before when the Audyssey Flat curve was selected?

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #5518 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Should I turn off "Midrange Compensation?"

My speakers are three way, but do not crossover in the compensation range, I think the answer is yes?
http://www.klipsch.com/la-scala-ii-floorstanding-speaker/details

Aside from the reasoning found here and the FAQs: https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/410117-midrange-compensation, why would anyone want a dip in what many would argue is the most common/important frequency range!?! Just seems silly to me.

The Audyssey gang has said that there were very few speakers that did not need MRC. It has to do with dispersion and how speakers sound in real rooms. FWIW, I boldly turned it off and listened to Chaka Khan for 5 seconds before diving back in to turn it on and reload my calibration.

YMMV.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #5519 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks, I'll try both ways then. However, one benefit to having mid-range horns is to limit the impact a room can have due to the highly directional nature of horns (I always point my horns the MLP). With my mid-range crossing over so far away from the compensation point, I'm very confused. I guess there's some psycho-acoustic reason for having the compensation turned on that the zendesk page doesn't mention?

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #5520 of 5593 Old 06-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Am I the only one who thinks Audyssey packaged a counterfeit Prolific USB to serial adapter? Spent the last 1+ hours trying to get the supplied one to work (without the error under Windows device manager). Finally got rid of the device manager error by using a driver from 2008 and uninstalling all other prolific drivers. However, then I started getting "communication data error" messages!?!

So, I used a prolific USB to serial cable I had from Tiger Direct, installed the latest driver from Prolific's site and it worked perfectly (never had any device manager errors).

What crappy "pro" kit. Do they even check this stuff before selling it? If I paid retail for the kit, I'd be very angry. Luckily I scored a deal from a distributor who discontinued selling Audyssey.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off