post #5551 of 5561 Old 06-16-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Be advised, if you did not know this already, that if you load a previously-saved measurement file, you cannot add new measurement points. This is a known limitation of the current Pro version. If you want to add new measurement points, you need to start from scratch.
Interesting. I have done that previously and got no error message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5561 Old 06-16-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
What am I missing here? I have been an Audyssey Pro user for at least 5 years for multiple processors and have no idea what you are referring to when you talk about a USB to serial adapter. I have no such device nor does my kit need one. All connections are single ended (mic to mic pre-amp, mic pre-amp to Integra; and then the PC is connected via Ethernet cable to the network switch to which the Integra is also connected.

Consider me confused
Some pre-pros use a serial connection. The Marantz 8801 is an example. The Audyssey Pro kit comes with a USB to Serial adapter for those without a PC with a true serial port. No new laptops I know of have a real serial port anymore, you can still get PC's that have them. But generally, using a USB to serial device is the most practical for most. When required.
post #5553 of 5561 Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
]Some pre-pros use a serial connection. The Marantz 8801 is an example. The Audyssey Pro kit comes with a USB to Serial adapter for those without a PC with a true serial port. No new laptops I know of have a real serial port anymore, you can still get PC's that have them. But generally, using a USB to serial device is the most practical for most. When required.
Thanks.
post #5554 of 5561 Old 06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
What am I missing here? I have been an Audyssey Pro user for at least 5 years for multiple processors and have no idea what you are referring to when you talk about a USB to serial adapter. I have no such device nor does my kit need one. All connections are single ended (mic to mic pre-amp, mic pre-amp to Integra; and then the PC is connected via Ethernet cable to the network switch to which the Integra is also connected.

Consider me confused
No need to be confused. Onkyo/Integra use network connections. Denon/Marantz use a serial-to-USB cable. Different implementations by different vendors. Results are the same--a superior calibration!
post #5555 of 5561 Old 06-16-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Be advised, if you did not know this already, that if you load a previously-saved measurement file, you cannot add new measurement points. This is a known limitation of the current Pro version. If you want to add new measurement points, you need to start from scratch.
Interesting. I have done that previously and got no error message.
This is a very specific bug that only affects Pro users with AVR's that have MultEQ XT32 and SubEQ HT. I don't recall what model AVR you have.

As you know, when you run the calibration, Audyssey calculates separate delays and trims for two sub channels (if you have SubEQ HT). When you reload a saved measurement set and attempt to add additional mic measurement points, Pro does not preserve the separate sub delays and trims properly, resulting in a flawed calibration. The issue was reported to Audyssey, and they acknowledged it. The official response is that adding additional measurement points to existing calibrations is no longer supported. The reason given by Audyssey is that the AVR manufacturers are unwilling to allocate sufficient processor resources to Pro for this feature to be supported any more.

You can search this thread--the topic has been discussed in detail.
post #5556 of 5561 Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Consider me confused
This applies only, if you need a serial connection to your AVR or pre/pro, as I do with my Denon AVP-A1. Then you need a USB to serial connector for your PC. This applies only to AVRs or pre/pro's having only a serial connector and no Ethernet/IP connection.

Confusion over?

PS: AustinJerry is right.
post #5557 of 5561 Old 06-17-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Confusion over. Furthermore, I did look in the carry bag and found the part. So now I know.
post #5558 of 5561 Old 06-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Confusion over. Furthermore, I did look in the carry bag and found the part. So now I know.
Yeah, if you never needed, it absolutely OK to be confused and to say 'what the heck are these guys talking about'???

But if you need it for you AVR/pre-pro, then you find this cable quite fast in your Audyssey bag.

Always a question of the POV but we are happy to help here and also get help. I already learned a lot from other members.

Cheers
post #5559 of 5561 Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys looking for some help. Having a problem very similar to the one described by tratliff a few pages back. I have a Marantz AV 8801 and a pro kit that I have previously run a full calibration on. I recently tried to do a new calibration it went through the subwoofer step correctly and through my first location correctly but when I moved to the second location the chirps would get louder and louder until I got a message saying that there was too much noise! I decided to restart everything but now at the subwoofer leveling step I keep getting a high reading of 89 db for both subs! I know it's not that loud and even if I lower the sub significantly it still says it's 89 db. I skipped the sub leveling step but then I get the loud chirps and the message about it not being loud enough??

I reset my 8801 and I tried a different laptop but still getting the same problem. I contacted Audyssey and they have given me the option of return in the mic and mic preamp for inspection. I'm probably going to do that but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I could try? I also noticed that something might be wrong with either the mic preamp or the ac adapter for it. When I plug it in the amber light on it slowly dims?? It still picks up a reading but like I said it's not working. Any ideas?
post #5560 of 5561 Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

I could solve all my problems by resetting the AVR up to now. But the light on the mic-amp is solid in my case. It's not fading usually.
I would recommend to send or bring it to repair.
One cause could be that it started to fail after you first measurement. If there is something wrong with the microphone, Audyssey cannot work. So I would recommend to solve this problem first.

May be you know somebody who has another one for double-checking?

Good luck!
post #5561 of 5561 Old Today, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just an update on my problem if anyone is interested. I sent my mic and preamp in to Audyssey. Turns out the preamp had a problem. They didn't find anything wrong with the mic. I should receive the mic with a new preamp and power supply tomorrow. Hopefully it works now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page