The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 198 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5911 of 5917 Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man my wallet didn't want to hear that xt32 is much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 5917 Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon78 View Post
Ahh, but you knew the answer, didn't you?

Jeff
post #5913 of 5917 Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
I sympathise, but as that in-depth article shows, XT32 really is the one to go for. It is the only flavor that I could fully recommend to anyone if asked (and it seems that Chris Kyriakakis of Audyssey agrees, judging by the quote in the article).
post #5914 of 5917 Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Haha. Yes. I knew it would end up like this. I know the M15HD is a very good processor but it may be time for me to move onto a denon 4520 or Marantz sr7008... Won't be doing atmos any time soon in my theatre room.
post #5915 of 5917 Old 11-22-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
It's only new software because of the need to incorporate processing to allow for the Atmos notch filter when using Atmos-enabled speakers. Non-Atmos AVRs don't need that of course. So while something IS different, it isn't anything that should be relevant, other than wrt to that one specific issue.
Three data points are not statistically meaningful so I post this for information only. I am aware of three individuals who have extensive Audyssey experience, who have migrated to an Atmos processor and who use measurement systems to get the best possible results. There may be more.

You (Keith) and a friend of mine moved from an Integra/Onkyo X32 processor to the 5200. In BOTH cases, the Audyssey on your new processor was able to get the splice between the subs and mains spot on with no after-processor diddling. Keith used Audyssey from the 5200 and my friend used Pro.

I, on the other hand, purchased the 7702. I too used Pro and the bass/mains splice was much WORSE than with my Integra 80.2. Since I have done this adjustment so many times, I was able to do the sub distance game (and adjust crossover) so that it ended up being a tad (probably not audible) better than on the 80.2 - and yes I did the exact same number of measurement from the exact (within a few inches) same locations.

What was really bizarre was when I told Audyssey (Pro) to use 80HZ as a crossover point (after it recommended 40hz - which it always has), and looked at just the left speaker (turned off the subs), after running Audyssey, Audyssey totally screwed up the response. Instead of falling off at around 90hz or so, it started falling off around 130hz. (The Audyssey on the Integra DID NOT DO THIS!!) So as a result, there was this huge dip between around 70 and 130 of greater than 10db!!!!!!! So the only way I could get reasonable results was to have Audyssey correct based upon it's recommendation (40HZ), and then move it up to after it did its thing. That never happened with my Integra/Pro results.

All of that to say, the three of us have all seen different results from using Audyssey on our newer processors than previously. While Audyssey (the Company) may not have made any changes that were aimed at other than the new Atmos enabled speakers, something is very different - at least in my opinion.
post #5916 of 5917 Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
There are always those who think they know much better about the product than their creators and with alleged full proficiency they feel entitled and authorized to make such bold judgements. Just because an earlier version is less capable (even said by its creator) doesn't mean the word "flaw" is verified or is to be used to scare away anyone.

Do as your wallet tells you to do and you won't be disappointed. Room correction vs. no correction is at stake.

Have fun!
post #5917 of 5917 Old 11-22-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
There are always those who think they know much better about the product than their creators and with alleged full proficiency they feel entitled and authorized to make such bold judgements. Just because an earlier version is less capable (even said by its creator) doesn't mean the word "flaw" is verified or is to be used to scare away anyone.
That'll be me then. For god's sake don't start this whole thing up again - last time was bad enough.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page