The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

Old 01-10-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 72
If you are truly looking at cost comparison between audyssey pro and the minidsp 88A you need to account for the external amp(s) needed for the 88A scenario, certainly making it more than double if you are going from internal amps in an audyssey AVR. Most believe that the 88A or newly announced 88M offer superior room correction and much more flexibility so you would need to decide if the extra cost is worth it. I personally still use my pro kit with my Denon 4311 and like what it does for me, but am considering the 88M in the near future with the hopes of even better results and far better control over my curves with the flexibility to use any pre/pro I choose. However, even if I do go to the 88M the pro kit will remain along with the 4311 for a bedroom system.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6578 Post(s)
Liked: 4827
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
If you are truly looking at cost comparison between audyssey pro and the minidsp 88A you need to account for the external amp(s) needed for the 88A scenario, certainly making it more than double if you are going from internal amps in an audyssey AVR. Most believe that the 88A or newly announced 88M offer superior room correction and much more flexibility so you would need to decide if the extra cost is worth it. I personally still use my pro kit with my Denon 4311 and like what it does for me, but am considering the 88M in the near future with the hopes of even better results and far better control over my curves with the flexibility to use any pre/pro I choose. However, even if I do go to the 88M the pro kit will remain along with the 4311 for a bedroom system.
All good points. You are right that the 88A and the newly announced 88M need all-external amps but for those who have already gone that route it's not relevant. Otherwise, yes. I chose to go all external years ago so that I could stop considering AVRs on the basis of their output. I nowadays use an AVR as a prepro but that is also a deliberate choice. miniDSP make an alternative Dirac Live solution for those using an AVR and its external amps, called the nanoAVR DL and this sits between the source component and the AVR. It costs much less than the 88A too. Worth a look.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Yes the nano would be a much less costlier route if not wanting to get external amps. Especially if they are going to upgrade the nano to include bass management.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

Last edited by HTPCat; 01-10-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Don't know if i has been mentioned earlier, and probably not very important, but since Denon Atmos AVR came last year, there has been at least one update to the Pro 4.0 software.

After i got my Denon 5200 in late 2014, when i connected to my laptop and (then new)Pro 4.0, it would only register Atmos setups, and ignore speakers in Auro setup.
But the other day when i connected and tried a Auro 10.1 setup, it registered all 14 speakers(10.1+wides+SB's).

Not sure when this update came, but now you are covered either way for a Pro calibration.

Dual Atmos Receivers
Atmos 9.1.8/DTS:X 7.1.4/AURO 3D 12.1
-Denon AVR X7200W+AVR X5200W
-Klipsch RF/C/S 9.1+ KEF3005SE ceiling speakers-LFE PSA S3000i-Antimode 8033
-Oppo BDP103-Darbee Darblet-SAMSUNG UE65JU7005 UHD TV-Epson EH-TW9000-Dreamscreen V2 106"
Old 01-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Don't know if i has been mentioned earlier, and probably not very important, but since Denon Atmos AVR came last year, there has been at least one update to the Pro 4.0 software.

After i got my Denon 5200 in late 2014, when i connected to my laptop and (then new)Pro 4.0, it would only register Atmos setups, and ignore speakers in Auro setup.
But the other day when i connected and tried a Auro 10.1 setup, it registered all 14 speakers(10.1+wides+SB's).

Not sure when this update came, but now you are covered either way for a Pro calibration.
Interesting. It the 10th speaker the VOG speaker for Auro? I did a cal for 13.2 speakers, no single VOG speaker (haven't decided on Auro yet).

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Old 01-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Interesting. It the 10th speaker the VOG speaker for Auro? I did a cal for 13.2 speakers, no single VOG speaker (haven't decided on Auro yet).
Yes, 10th is VOG. IF you haven't upgraded to Auro, then VOG is not an option, so no worries then.

If an Atmos setup, your height2 is TM, TR or RH.

If an Auro setup, your height2 is SH(9.1) and VOG(10.1).

But like i said, the first time i tried a Auro setup, Pro 4.0 ignored my height2 and VOG speakers, so i only got a 7.1.2 +wides registered, while i now get the full 9.2.5 speaker setup.

I believe the newest version is Pro 4.1.0.88, and is released in 2016.

Dual Atmos Receivers
Atmos 9.1.8/DTS:X 7.1.4/AURO 3D 12.1
-Denon AVR X7200W+AVR X5200W
-Klipsch RF/C/S 9.1+ KEF3005SE ceiling speakers-LFE PSA S3000i-Antimode 8033
-Oppo BDP103-Darbee Darblet-SAMSUNG UE65JU7005 UHD TV-Epson EH-TW9000-Dreamscreen V2 106"

Last edited by Nalleh; 01-14-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
Hi hllbll,

personally, I share your opinion that the cause of all this trouble comes from the Onkyo. ...
Little update.

Now there are already three, who thinks that the issue is in Onkyo Today I got response from Onkyo, they told me to send the AVR to local service and parts and labour are paid by Onkyo.

There might still be some light in the end of the tunnel. I'm personally quite curious, what is causing this issue. Personally I hope, that it has something to do with power supply, maybe there's some interference in the voltages. Maybe some capacitors have come to an end. If not, then it might be quite difficult to find the problem.

But, better this way. If Onkyo hadn't taken responsibility, I should have tried to fix it myself.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
All good points. You are right that the 88A and the newly announced 88M need all-external amps but for those who have already gone that route it's not relevant. Otherwise, yes. I chose to go all external years ago so that I could stop considering AVRs on the basis of their output. I nowadays use an AVR as a prepro but that is also a deliberate choice. miniDSP make an alternative Dirac Live solution for those using an AVR and its external amps, called the nanoAVR DL and this sits between the source component and the AVR. It costs much less than the 88A too. Worth a look.
I have always used separates. And with all of the buzz about newer DSP technologies surpassing Audyssey, you early Audyssey heretics are beginning to catch my attention ....

I might need a consult!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6578 Post(s)
Liked: 4827
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I have always used separates. And with all of the buzz about newer DSP technologies surpassing Audyssey, you early Audyssey heretics are beginning to catch my attention ....

I might need a consult!
Hey Jeff. How long has it been? Come on over to the miniDSP DDRC-88A thread and join the fun. Your HT will never have sounded so good!

Kind Regards,

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey