The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 67
if same as the 80.1, need to connect to back.
and heads up, the connection is really tight.
would recommend to keep cable connected
for future use.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pro Kits are back in stock. I got shipping confirmation in the early hours of this morning.
post #1173 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Pro Kits are back in stock. I got shipping confirmation in the early hours of this morning.

What is the story on the 80.3 firmware update?
post #1174 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

for future use.

The 80.2 doesn't have an auxilary input on the back.
post #1175 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

What is the story on the 80.3 firmware update?

I don't know about the 80.3, as I've only been getting updates on the 5509. I guess they'll most likely be in the same update though. The latest I've heard about the 5509 is that they are testing another firmware from Onkyo and will release the update as soon as they're happy that everything is good.
post #1176 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

The 80.2 doesn't have an auxilary input on the back.

Audyssey mic plugs into "Game."
post #1177 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Audyssey mic plugs into "Game."

Thanks! I assume the top/white rca connection? Where in the world do any of the instructions tell you that?
post #1178 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Thanks! I assume the top/white rca connection? Where in the world do any of the instructions tell you that?

Yes, left channel. The instructions are in the MultEQ Pro software. Each screen has detailed instructions for step at hand.

Jeff
post #1179 of 5614 Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, left channel. The instructions are in the MultEQ Pro software. Each screen has detailed instructions for step at hand.

Jeff

Thanks so much Jeff. I wanted to get everything straight before I tried it. Bob
post #1180 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would like to use the Audyssey Pro Mic and pre-amp as a calibrated source for REW and AudioTools. Does anybody know of a way of converting the Audyssey Pro mic calibration file into a flat Excel spreadsheet so that I can import it into both of these applications?
post #1181 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post

I would like to use the Audyssey Pro Mic and pre-amp as a calibrated source for REW and AudioTools. Does anybody know of a way of converting the Audyssey Pro mic calibration file into a flat Excel spreadsheet so that I can import it into both of these applications?

Sounds like a good idea if it's possible. I'm sure it will be better than the Radio Shack Meter I was thinking about using. I'd also be interested to know if this is possible.
post #1182 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Sounds like a good idea if it's possible. I'm sure it will be better than the Radio Shack Meter I was thinking about using. I'd also be interested to know if this is possible.

The Audyssey Pro mic is calibrated within 0.5dB from 20Hz to 20KHz when used in conjunction with its EQ file. It is a terrible waste of a resource not to be able to use it with other acoustic software applications.

I have looked at lots of web sites, programs and "tools" to look at the mic .apm file but its header does not appear as a standard .apm file. I am therefore unable to open it except with a Hex editor. This did not help me

Any software engineers out there that can help here?
post #1183 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

The Audyssey Pro mic is calibrated within 0.5dB from 20Hz to 20KHz when used in conjunction with its EQ file. It is a terrible waste of a resource not to be able to use it with other acoustic software applications.

I have looked at lots of web sites, programs and "tools" to look at the mic .apm file but its header does not appear as a standard .apm file. I am therefore unable to open it except with a Hex editor. This did not help me

Any software engineers out there that can help here?

This has been discussed before. To my knowledge, no one has successfully obtained a calibration file that will let you use the Pro mic with REW. I believe a suggestion was made that you could send the mic to a place like Cross Spectrum Labs (http://www.cross-spectrum.com/) to get it professionally calibrated, but for the cost of the calibration, you could purchase a mic like the EMM-6, which comes with a calibration file and works well with REW.

One such discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19966155
post #1184 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Wireless member

Yes, AJ, anyone wanting to use the Pro mic in an application other than the Pro software would need to send it out to be calibrated. I did it, but it was a waste of money as it cost about the same as what they sell the calibrated EMM-6 for.

Jeff
post #1185 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, AJ, anyone wanting to use the Pro mic in an application other than the Pro software would need to send it out to be calibrated. I did it, but it was a waste of money as it cost about the same as what they sell the calibrated EMM-6 for.

Jeff

Well thats a pity. Looks like the EMM-6 is in my future.
post #1186 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Well thats a pity. Looks like the EMM-6 is in my future.

Get the 0° and 180° calibration files.
post #1187 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get the 0° and 180° calibration files.

If the mic is pointed at the ceiling, isn't the 90 degree calibration file the right one? I am assuming that the mic in REW should be pointed vertically like the Audyssey mic, correct?
post #1188 of 5614 Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Wireless member

I misspoke. Pointed at the ceiling, you need the 90 degree cal. But there are measurements that are taken with the mic pointed directly at a speaker and that is the zero axis.

Jeff
post #1189 of 5614 Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I misspoke. Pointed at the ceiling, you need the 90 degree cal. But there are measurements that are taken with the mic pointed directly at a speaker and that is the zero axis.

Jeff

Noted, I will get as many calibrations as my bank account will allow.
post #1190 of 5614 Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Just got my pro kit and purchased the licensce for my denon 4311 - I am about to activate the license and it says I need to use the last 6 digits of the MAC address which I have located in 3 places. 2 show an uppercase letter (the back of the AVR & the box) and the setup menu shows lowercase and hex will be different for upper and lowercase right so which one do I use?

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #1191 of 5614 Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Wireless member

post #1192 of 5614 Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it is not case sensitive.

Thanks good to know - the audyssey pro installer site indicates that it is case sensitive.

HTPCat

post #1193 of 5614 Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

Thanks good to know - the audyssey pro installer site indicates that it is case sensitive.

You cannot go wrong by entering the MAC address exactly as it is shown in the menu, i.e. preserving the case. This way whether it is case sensitive or not becomes a moot point.
post #1194 of 5614 Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

A few more questions from a newbe : for 1st placement of the mic @MLP do you place in the center of ears with top of mic at ear height? Or do you place mic at either right or left ear position?

I have my denon 4311 & a HTPC connected to my network and have the Denon's ip address will this be all I need to do for connecting other than the mic? And finally where does the mic connect on the Denon 4311? Your help is always appreciated.

HTPCat

post #1195 of 5614 Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A few more questions from a newbe : for 1st placement of the mic @MLP do you place in the center of ears with top of mic at ear height? Or do you place mic at either right or left ear position?

I have my denon 4311 & a HTPC connected to my network and have the Denon's ip address will this be all I need to do for connecting other than the mic? And finally where does the mic connect on the Denon 4311? Your help is always appreciated.

I place the tip of the mic where the center of my head would be, not where the side of my head would be.

The network plays no role in a Pro calibration on a 4311. There is a Serial-to-USB cable that connects to the RS232 port on the back of the AVR, with the other end connected to a computer's USB port. A laptop is the most convenient computer to use. The Pro mic has a standard RCA plug that connects to the AUX input port behind the drop-down panel on the front of the 4311. It connects to the LEFT AUX IN port.
post #1196 of 5614 Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:

It really doesn’t matter. It's not necessary to get it to millimeter accuracy. Just set the mic to where you think your ears/head will be when listening - they won’t stay in that same place throughout an entire movie unless you watch with your head in a vice. My 'nominal' ear height when listening is 35 inches, so that's how I set my mic - but I know full well that I will move around while the movie is on, certainly by an inch or two.
post #1197 of 5614 Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It really doesn't matter. It's not necessary to get it to millimeter accuracy. Just set the mic to where you think your ears/head will be when listening - they won't stay in that same place throughout an entire movie unless you watch with your head in a vice. My 'nominal' ear height when listening is 35 inches, so that's how I set my mic - but I know full well that I will move around while the movie is on, certainly by an inch or two.

I don't disagree, but accuracy has a lot to do with repeatability. We both have read countless posts about repeating calibrations over and over again until you get "a good one". I have found that by being accurate, I can get a good, predictable calibration every time.
post #1198 of 5614 Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I don't disagree, but accuracy has a lot to do with repeatability. We both have read countless posts about repeating calibrations over and over again until you get "a good one". I have found that by being accurate, I can get a good, predictable calibration every time.

Yes that is a fair point. Where I tend to become bemused is when I see people agonising over mic placement to the fraction of an inch. It isn't that critical and Chris himself has said this on more than one occasion. For example, the usual advice is to space the mic positions out by putting them 2 feet apart and I have read of people getting out a measuring tape and measuring this to the fraction of an inch! It just isn't necessary - approximately two feet apart is good enough. But yes, wrt to repeating a set of measurements in another calibration, I agree totally that it is easier and more certain to give a consistent, reliable result if you can put the mic back into the same place. I know from experience where my mic needs to go to be able to repeat a calibration consistently, but I don't fret overmuch about getting it right to a quarter of an inch
post #1199 of 5614 Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It really doesn't matter. It's not necessary to get it to millimeter accuracy...

That is a pinhead response.

Any cool HTP cat knows that the first position is arguably unique irt meriting this degree of attention and accuracy. Pos #1 sets the levels and delays for all channels, hence the SOP SoM recommendation for the mic to ideally be positioned between where your ears would be. This assumes a properly placed MLP as that precludes breaking more important mic position rules and insures best SQ.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1200 of 5614 Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

That is a pinhead response.

Any cool HTP cat knows that the first position is arguably unique irt meriting this degree of attention and accuracy. Pos #1 sets the levels and delays for all channels, hence the SOP SoM recommendation for the mic to ideally be positioned between where your ears would be. This assumes a properly placed MLP as that precludes breaking more important mic position rules and insures best SQ.

It really makes no difference if you move the mic by 1 inch for the first position. It can't possibly be accurate for the actual listening position, except for people who put their head into a vice when watching a movie.

When I watch a movie, sometimes I sit upright, sometimes I slouch, sometimes I lean on the left armrest, sometimes on the right sometimes I recline my chair more, sometimes less. So where would I put the mic for the MLP out of those 6 choices? So long as it is pretty much in the ballpark it will be OK.

And of course, this isn't even to mention the case where people (me for example) have their couch up against the wall and their head is too close to the wall to put the mic at the actual listening position and they have to set it about 18 inches or more away from the wall, which puts it somewhere in front of where their head has to go.

Close enough is good enough - unless of course you really do sit with your head in a vice (vise I believe they’re called in your neck of the woods )....

I'm not suggesting anyone takes a totally cavalier attitude to mic placement, because that would be wrong. Just saying that it isn’t necessary, or even practically possible, to get it down to a half inch... and even if one does, it will be wrong the next time they move their head while watching their movie.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page