post #1291 of 5637 Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

I also went the same route. I had XT + the AS-EQ1. The improvement to XT32 was actually more than subtle to me for the 'sound bubble' created.

Yes, perhaps what I should have said was 'more subtle than the difference between XT and XT+AS-EQ1'. I hear definite improvements in the 'bubble' as well, with better imaging, greater clarity and somewhat better dialogue reproduction from the centre channel. A definite and worthwhile improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

The Pro Kit does add a bit more, which to me with the ability to do some adjustments, is very worth the cost and effort. March is here, so hopefully soon for you...

Fingers crossed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 5637 Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can anyone tell me how you recall the measurements/file that is saved during the pro calibration if you want to do some tweaking?
post #1293 of 5637 Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Can anyone tell me how you recall the measurements/file that is saved during the pro calibration if you want to do some tweaking?

1. Load the Pro software and proceed to the screen where the first measurement is taken. (When the sub level setting screen appears, simply click Next and ignore the message warning that the sub levels have not been set.)

2. At the bottom of the first measurement screen you will see a button "Load Measurements". Click this button, browse to your saves settings file, and load it.

3. After a moment, the screen will change from "first measurement" to "xx measurement", where xx is the next measurement after the initial set of measurements you just loaded.

4. Click "Next" to calculate the filters.

5. After the filters calculation has completed, you will be presented wit the screen on which you can tweak the crossover settings.

post #1294 of 5637 Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

1. Load the Pro software and proceed to the screen where the first measurement is taken. (When the sub level setting screen appears, simply click Next and ignore the message warning that the sub levels have not been set.)

2. At the bottom of the first measurement screen you will see a button "Load Measurements". Click this button, browse to your saves settings file, and load it.

3. After a moment, the screen will change from "first measurement" to "xx measurement", where xx is the next measurement after the initial set of measurements you just loaded.

5. After the filters calculation has completed, you will be presented wit the screen on which you can tweak the crossover settings.

Jerry thanks so much for the detailed instructions! Bob
post #1295 of 5637 Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

As has been discussed here lately, at step 4, before calculating the filters, you can take more mic measurements first. In other words, you can do the mic measurements on an installment basis.

Right now, however, because of a software bug, you can't do this if you are running multiple subs (Sub A and Sub B). You'd have to either do all your mic measurements in one go or you set up your subs as "one", using y-connectors.

Mark

My Focal Utopia HT:
post #1296 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
What are the drawbacks of setting the xover at 40 in pro and then raising it to 80 in the pre/pro?
post #1297 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^My understanding is that unlike Audyssey without Pro, the filters are actually optimized to the xover you chose in Pro. I have not actually tested to hear if there's an audible degradation from changing just the xover in the processor.

I and others have tried more than 1 crossover in Pro (in my case from the top-rated 40 to lower rated 80 for FR/L) and there's no jump-out-at-you SQ difference. Of course that's not as easy as just switching a xover in the processor-it takes awhile to do, so auditory memory is a factor.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1298 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The issue Jmschnur has reported is likely not related to the software upgrade. Rather, it is the way the software works. For example, I ran a Pro calibration over the weekend and recorded the recommended crossovers in a worksheet. To see if the calculation algorithm results in consistent recommendations, I loaded the saved measurements from the weekend calibration and let Pro run he calculations a second time.

As you can see in the attached file, the second set of recommendations do not match the first. Strangely, 40 Hz disappears completely from the second set of recommendations. Perhaps this is a bug, or perhaps the algorithm is so complex that it returns different results each time (which would be upsetting).

That could also mean that MultEQ is a nondeterministic algorithm.
post #1299 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLansing View Post

That could also mean that MultEQ is a nondeterministic algorithm.

Now that would really be " strange" .
post #1300 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Has there been any news to report from Luke?

- it's never done!

post #1301 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Sent him my files and a description. My case was differenrt results between3.4 and 3.5 not when 3.3 is run twice.
post #1302 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No response from my email yet.

post #1303 of 5637 Old 03-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Wireless member

One would like to think that they are studying it.

- it's never done!

post #1304 of 5637 Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No response from my email yet.

I received a reply from Luke. He asked me to transfer my .AMD measurement file, and he will be looking into the reported issue.

post #1305 of 5637 Old 03-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Wireless member

Thanks for the update! jmschnur?

- it's never done!

post #1306 of 5637 Old 03-11-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update! jmschnur?

Same for me.
post #1307 of 5637 Old 03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Wireless member

Cool! It will be interesting to see what they find.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #1308 of 5637 Old 03-11-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
I re-ran Audyssey Pro yesterday after removing my Epik Empires. I also wanted to use v3.5 for the first time. It seemed like it took 2 hours to take 11 measurements. I didn't time it though. I can't believe how long it takes now with MultEQ XT32 receivers. It takes the measurements more quickly but it takes 10x longer to transfer the results after each measurement to the PC.

I'll post my result graphs later.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

post #1309 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi counsil,

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

I re-ran Audyssey Pro yesterday after removing my Epik Empires. I also wanted to use v3.5 for the first time. It seemed like it took 2 hours to take 11 measurements. I didn't time it though. I can't believe how long it takes now with MultEQ XT32 receivers. It takes the measurements more quickly but it takes 10x longer to transfer the results after each measurement to the PC.

As far as memory serves, you have a 4311, so I suppose you are using the USB-Serial converter provided with the Pro kit.

Now with your new 3.5 cal, did you use the new driver (1.5) provided by Prolific through the Audyssey link, or did you use the previous driver?

Actually last Saturday, I wanted to change some parameters in my 4311 and I (stupidly) thought that switching to 3.5 and the new 1.5 driver would be fine. It wasn't!

I have a Win 7 (64bits) Pro configuration and after installing 3.5 and the (new) 1.5 diver , the 3.5 software starts, after selection of the 4311, the COM port identification arrives, the 4311 switches to Audyssey Calibration mode, but then 3.5 shuts down by itself...

I tried several times and at one time I had a "time out" (too long time to establish communication) warning.

So I'm wondering if your "long" time for transferring data, wouldn't be something of the same kind as the "time out" I have encountered.

Now I won't have time to try another cal in the next few days, but my humble opinion is that people who haven't installed 3.5 and the new driver, should remain with their previous and initial 3.4 contexts.

Hugo

post #1310 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hi Hugo and Counil,

I have updated my software to 3.5 and have done a full cal run. There were no problems at all. The timing of each mic placement was the same as before. Fore me, once everything is setup and the subs leveled, it takes just under 5 min (4min 50 sec) to run each position. This is the same amount of time it took me with the previous software version (doing 11.1 speaker setup).

Hugo, I'm not sure what's causing your issue. I'm also using Win7 64bit. Maybe you may want to try re-install the Audyssey software and do the run again. Mine ran pretty smoothly after the update.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #1311 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post

Hi counsil,

As far as memory serves, you have a 4311, so I suppose you are using the USB-Serial converter provided with the Pro kit.

Now with your new 3.5 cal, did you use the new driver (1.5) provided by Prolific through the Audyssey link, or did you use the previous driver?

Actually last Saturday, I wanted to change some parameters in my 4311 and I (stupidly) thought that switching to 3.5 and the new 1.5 driver would be fine. It wasn't!

I have a Win 7 (64bits) Pro configuration and after installing 3.5 and the (new) 1.5 diver , the 3.5 software starts, after selection of the 4311, the COM port identification arrives, the 4311 switches to Audyssey Calibration mode, but then 3.5 shuts down by itself...

I tried several times and at one time I had a "time out" (too long time to establish communication) warning.

So I'm wondering if your "long" time for transferring data, wouldn't be something of the same kind as the "time out" I have encountered.

Now I won't have time to try another cal in the next few days, but my humble opinion is that people who haven't installed 3.5 and the new driver, should remain with their previous and initial 3.4 contexts.

Hugo

Sorry to hear you are having problems, Hugo. As far as the timeout issue, I have been experiencing this of a long time with version 3.4, and the issue continues with ver 3.5. However, while annoying, there is a simple work-around. If you receive the time-out message, simply unplug the USB connection and plug it back in, after which you can proceed with the calibration.

I searched for quite some time to find a solution to the timeout issue, but never found one. I even reported it to Audyssey, but never heard back from them.

Edit: the timeout occurs when there is no activity on the USB connection for a period of time (several minutes). For example, if you take too long reviewing the crossover recommendation screen, you might get a timeout when you try to transfer the filters to the AVR. You should not get a timeout because of a long data transfer, because the USB port is active during the transfer.

post #1312 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Wireless member

Any time I had the timeout error, it was due to not having the correct driver for the USB-to-serial adapter. And using the one on Audyssey's site was, IIRC, not the solution. Also, force it to a low numbered COM port.

I am so glad that Onk's are now Pro calibrated via ethernet.

- it's never done!

post #1313 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

This is curious. My time to set up XT32 on a 4311 with V3.5 was no longer than it took to set up my 4308 with V3.0 and probably less since there was no separate SubEQ step. I'm using Win 7 64 bit. My USB driver is a couple of years old so might not be V1.5.

I find all 4311 operations to be significantly faster than they were with my 4308.

Harrison

Harrison

post #1314 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkx View Post

This is curious. My time to set up XT32 on a 4311 with V3.5 was no longer than it took to set up my 4308 with V3.0 and probably less since there was no separate SubEQ step. I'm using Win 7 64 bit. My USB driver is a couple of years old so might not be V1.5.

I find all 4311 operations to be significantly faster than they were with my 4308.

Harrison

As reported on this thread earlier, it took me 90 minutes to conduct a complete 12-position Pro calibration for a 11.1 configuration with two subs. I was using a stopwatch for the measurements, and I am pretty efficient at moving things along as quickly as possible.

post #1315 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any time I had the timeout error, it was due to not having the correct driver for the USB-to-serial adapter. And using the one on Audyssey's site was, IIRC, not the solution. Also, force it to a low numbered COM port.

I am so glad that Onk's are now Pro calibrated via ethernet.

Jeff, I amusing the Prolific driver. Do you recall the driver you were using?

post #1316 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Guys,

Many thks for your replies.

Hopefully next WE, I'll try to reinstall 3.5 and if that doesn't work the 3.4 with the new Prolific driver and I'll keep you posted.

Now Jeff has mentionned the 5508 and it's ethernet (WiFi) Pro capacity, it would though be a winning move for Denon if their next 4x1x could support that (Pro/Ethernet).

Brgds,

Hugo

post #1317 of 5637 Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Jeff, I amusing the Prolific driver. Do you recall the driver you were using?

I think it was PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v130. On my computer I have a date of July 2010 for it .. that would be when I downloaded it.

- it's never done!

post #1318 of 5637 Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I just heard back from Luke. He said the xt32 calculations were improved going from 3.4 to 3.5 and the variations I observed in recommended order of xovers was due that change.
post #1319 of 5637 Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Wireless member

Makes sense and is good to know. So previous information that the only differences between versions was supported gear was not quite correct. Guess I'll upgrade and re-run the calculations.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #1320 of 5637 Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Makes sense and is good to know. So previous information that the only differences between versions was supported gear was not quite correct. Guess I'll upgrade and re-run the calculations.

Jeff

Might want to redo measurements as well. Not sure where all the changes were made.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page