Denon Refurbished? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to get an opinion on Denon refurbished receivers. Are they worth taking the risk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsqaure View Post

Just wanted to get an opinion on Denon refurbished receivers. Are they worth taking the risk?

I have never had a problem with one, but both ecost and dakmart aren't terrific at customer service in the event of a problem.

Generally, with good timing and luck you can almost always find a new one discounted to about the price of the refurb. now that denon has upped their warranty to three years, the warranty difference is definitely worth paying a little more and having only a 90 day or 1 year warranty.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Refurbs can go good or bad. I've had no problems from my refurb'd Denon, but I have a friend who's given up on his. Problem with refurbs is you never know how they 'earned' that status. Friend's 2808 appears to have an intermittent problem, and even Denon failed to repair it for good. My rule, if you save at least $100 (from new, discounted pricing for a current model), take the risk if the warranty is decent. If it's an older model, it better be super cheap as I then consider it no better than buying used. Good luck.

bg
post #4 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I was not aware Denon has upped their warranty to 3 years... That is a huge plus - is that on all models ? I am considering a 1611...
post #5 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
No, they upped it to three on the in command series (2112, 2312, 3312). Its 2 years on the 1912 and down.

I had a Denon 3310 refurb from Ecost that was DOA. They let me return it for a full refund. I didn't even have to pay any shipping. I've bought 3 open box Denons and always had good luck with them.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 AM

I had a refurbished Denon and I never had any problems with it. As a matter a fact I sold it to a friend 2 years ago and he says it still works like a champ.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM

I, as a rule, stay away from refurbs. In my life, I've purchased 3 refurbed electronic devices, and all have failed way before a normal life. Conveniently, they failed after the "reduced" warranty, but before what would have been the "full" warranty on a new item. I like the expression, "What starts bad ends bad." Once a lemon, always a lemon. IMHO. I'm sure there are more people who have enjoyed refurbs than those who had nightmares. But, it's not worth the risk anymore to me. The small reduction in price doesn't add up for me. YMMV.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM

I've owned one denon defurb and one denon openbox...a 2002 2 series (don't remember what the model numbers were back then...2208 maybe?). I now own a 2808ci from an open box from bb. The refurb did break down after a year but was able to get it fixed for free and even was able to send it to a local service shop for the fix. Non of that sending across the country to one of thief centers bs. 2808 has worked perfect...both I got for half price.

I have been fine going with these in the past due to being able to get more than my budget allowed. In the future I do t think I will just for the simple reason that I can afford to pay full price now. Overall, even with the one that broke down I think it's a good choice if you wan to stretch your budget a bit further and get more than your budget will allow.

Amazon now has a good refurb and open box store. I haven't used it but havE looked to it and read good things about it. Might be something you could look into
post #9 of 14 Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 AM

I recently purchased a refurb 2313ci, which arrived DOA. I've purchased refurb electronics from other brands with no issues, so I jumped at the chance to save $150 on this high end receiver. I RMAed that one and received a replacement that was in even worse shape. It was physically damaged; the chassis was actually bent, the sub-woofer outs did not work, and it arrived with the wrong remote. So I RMAed that one and i'm now waiting for the 3rd to arrive. As of today, it has been nearly 6 weeks since the initial purchase and I am still unable to use my home theater. Denon claims that they'll ship the replacement as soon as they can track the return, but this is a lie. The 1st replacement took 9 days to arrive and the 2nd is at ten days.. and counting. To say that I am frustrated and angry with Denon would be the understatement of the century. I am shocked by their surprisingly low standard of quality for factory refurb equipment. I am probably finished with Denon, altogether, as a result of this experience and I've been a lifelong fan and consumer of their products.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
^^
The 2313CI is still considered mid-level, and although there are lots of folks who have had no issues with their refurb units (which we rarely hear from), there are others that do have issues (which we do hear from). It's unfortunate you are one of the unlucky ones. frown.gif Also note that you can purchase new in box Denon AVRs from several of the authorized resellers at up to 20% or more off MSRP if you "call" them rather than just looking at their websites, a purchase which often rivals the cost of the refurb purchase but comes with the full 3 year warranty. Not also that with either purchase, your credit card issuer may add an additional year to the 1 or 3 year warranty. As the 2313CI is last year's model it has been on clearance at some Best Buy stores for $500 or less so it's always best to call around for a "new" in box unit price before considering a refurb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

No, they upped it to three on the in command series (2112, 2312, 3312). Its 2 years on the 1912 and down.

I had a Denon 3310 refurb from Ecost that was DOA. They let me return it for a full refund. I didn't even have to pay any shipping. I've bought 3 open box Denons and always had good luck with them.

Speaking of eCost ... looks like Denon has dropped them as an authorized refurb reseller .. now only Accessories4Less and a new one ADGTRON remain.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11 of 14 Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What are some stores that offer discounts when you call jdsmoothie? Is B&H one of them? I am in the market for a budget Denon receiver which will be mainly hooked up to a computer and 32" TV in a bedroom. Mainly for music, and occasional movies. Eyeing the Denon 1613.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
The 1613 being last year's model has been on clearance for almost 4 months so you can likely find it for up to 50% off MSRP if you "call" any of the on-line authorized e-tailers listed on Denon's website, although it's likely going to be hard to find as it has since been replaced by the new E300. The typical resellers that will discount include AVScience sales, Electronics Expo, Paul's TV, and World Wide Strereo to name a few, but the discount will be much smaller on the lower level models like the 1613. I would also suggest looking for the 1713 at the same time as it offers the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and would likely only be moderately more expensive.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #13 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I bought a 4311 refurb from ecost for $1038 including shipping. At the time, new ones were going for $1600+, so it seemed like a good deal. I've had it hooked up for a year and have no problems.

I've been burned by refurbs about 10% of the time. I've probably saved about 25% of cost with refurbs, so i think in aggregate, I've come out ahead.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The 2313CI is still considered mid-level, and although there are lots of folks who have had no issues with their refurb units (which we rarely hear from), there are others that do have issues (which we do hear from). It's unfortunate you are one of the unlucky ones. frown.gif Also note that you can purchase new in box Denon AVRs from several of the authorized resellers at up to 20% or more off MSRP if you "call" them rather than just looking at their websites, a purchase which often rivals the cost of the refurb purchase but comes with the full 3 year warranty. Not also that with either purchase, your credit card issuer may add an additional year to the 1 or 3 year warranty. As the 2313CI is last year's model it has been on clearance at some Best Buy stores for $500 or less so it's always best to call around for a "new" in box unit price before considering a refurb.
Speaking of eCost ... looks like Denon has dropped them as an authorized refurb reseller .. now only Accessories4Less and a new one ADGTRON remain.

I did ample research before buying the 2313ci, as I always do, and $449 at Accessories4less was the best deal I found anywhere. Also, as far as I'm concerned luck has nothing to do with it. Two bad units in a row (no word on the 3rd yet), slow unresponsive service, sending the wrong remote... these are CLEARLY symptoms of a shoddy refurb system. Shame on Denon. They've lost me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page