Help a newbie with 1st Receiver purchase. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know next to nothing about surround sound, but we're moving into a new home that is prewired for surround sound. It has 4 in-ceiling speakers and a 5th on the front wall above where the TV will be.

The room is about 18x18 and it's pretty open on one side and the back (open to the kitchen)

My TV - LG 55LW5600 (passive 3D)
My Blu-Ray - Panasonic DMP-BDT210 (3D Blu-ray DVD player)
My Subwoofer - BIC PL200
My Speakers - Not sure as they are in the wall and I haven't checked. But the guy before me spent quite a bit on his audio set up so I assume they are at least decent quality.

I'm not really looking to listen to anything at any loud volumes. I'm not worried about that deep pounding base or anything. I just want a clean sound at typical normal TV watching volumes. My listening will be something like 65% TV (...a little 3D), 25% Blu-rays (some 3D), 5% music, 5% video games.

Since my TV is a 3D set, I want to make sure the reciver will work well with it.

This receiver will also control a couple outdoor patio speakers so it will need to be able to control 2 zones.

Right now I'm looking at the Denon 1911 and the Pioneer VSX-102K.

Are these decent choices for a $400 or so budget? or would you think about another unit?

What would you recomend?

THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I think either would be fine. Some information would be good, just to make sure. The sound quality is most affected by the speakers and the room, the receiver lags pretty far behind in importance as far as that goes.

You need to find out the specs of the speakers, post those so we can see what you're dealing with. If they have decent efficiency, are rated at 8 ohms, then you're probably in good shape with those receivers. If they are 4 ohm or inefficient, you may need something with a heftier amp section. You do say you're not going to drive them hard, so maybe the point is moot.

Clean sound is a different animal. That is where speaker quallity really comes into play, as well as room treatments and the only major contribution (IMO) that a receiver makes to SQ : quality room correction. Both the Denon and Pioneer have capable room correction systems, some prefer Audissey(Denon + others) , other (like me) are just fine with MCACC (Pioneer).

So get the specs on the speakers. Eventually if sound fidelity is your goal and the existing speakers are fine, you may look at upgrading the sub.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
One of the best receivers for this room(since the speakers more than likely have close to the same performance capability...since they are all in wall/ceiling) is the Yamaha RX-V667/867(essentially the same receiver...buy the 867 if you need networking and/or 2nd HDMI out).

Those are just under $400 and just over $400.

I would purchase the 667/867 for that room mainly cause it has pre-outs in the unlikely sense it can't handle the speakers, you can use it as a pre-pro, which neither receiver you chose can do.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrllc View Post

I know next to nothing about surround sound, but we're moving into a new home that is prewired for surround sound. It has 4 in-ceiling speakers and a 5th on the front wall above where the TV will be.

My Speakers - Not sure as they are in the wall and I haven't checked. But the guy before me spent quite a bit on his audio set up so I assume they are at least decent quality.

I think the speakers will be a bigger problem when it comes to sound quality than the receiver will. I've never heard in ceiling fronts sound good in a home theater. Not saying that's its impossible but I've never heard it. I would get new fronts. Without knowing what the center channel is now, I'm not sure how well you could match the fronts to it so you may do better just getting a new center as well. Are the in ceiling speakers all in the back or is it 2 in front and 2 in back?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page