x08 and x09 Onkyo Failure Tracking Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced the input-scrolling/unresponsiveness/random power on/off failure
Yes, with an X08 Onkyo Model (2010 Unit) 1 100.00%
No, with an X08 Onkyo Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
Yes, with an X0.2 Integra Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
No, with an X0.2 Integra Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
Yes, with an X09 Onkyo Model (2011 Unit) 0 0%
No, with an X09 Onkyo Model (2011 Unit) 0 0%
Yes, with an x0.3 Integra Model (2011 Unit) 0 0%
No, with an x0.3 Integra Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Inadequate ventilation is grounds for "warranty exclusion".

IT is easy to check an AVR for heat stress. There are parts in them that should "never get hot", they can easily cover them with some form of wax that melts at a certain temperature...and if the wax is melted...no warranty.

Technics and Kenwood used to pull that trick in the 80's and 90's.

The (2) things that typically go out due to inadequate ventilation are:
1. Internal circuit breaker within the power transformer, non-resettable..
2. Output device/stage failure

Onkyo will usually replace these components once under warranty, the second time you are on your own..

Just my $0.02..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My NR3008 (purchased refurbished from Accessories4Less) is in the shop right now, having had it for about 3 months. Mine didn't cycle through the inputs, but it would occasionally get non-responsive from the remote and the direct buttons would get all mixed up--"dimmer" would change the surround mode, arrow up would be "enter," etc.
Frankly, I'm thinking this Onkyo is lemon. When I get it back, it's probably going on eBay . . . Given the number of quirks and issues with Onkyo in general, I can't recommend Onkyo to anyone. People are "guessing" they'll have the problems works out for the 009 series, but this sounds like wishful thinking . . .
post #33 of 60 Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM

Liked: 15
"Putting this in perspective" is misleading... we are not talking about the number of AVR's sold between 2008 and 2011. This is specific to these models and the corresponding production times.

Most consumers are not AVSF members, yet I would wager some, if not many have come here to research a potential purchase they have in mind. Once a decision has been made, (and purchases made,) those consumers don't come back here to praise or bitch about what they acquired.

Everyone and anyone can speculate/guess/deduce the extent of the problem using many different rationalization. The truth is we will never know. Onkyo will never quantify the extent of the problem. They will do only what they have to do... 1) Acknowledge the problem. 2)Provide a (hopeful) fix. There is no question they have done just that... and only that.

The count right now... 2/3rds of those here with X08's have had problems! This is completely unacceptable to those of us with troubled units. I will not bash Onkyo for having some problems, all manufactures do But I think those "calm, cool heads" who profess that there is nothing really wrong, and profess that there is an "easy fix" if you just "take off a few screws, replace a $12 cable and clean the crap off board/cable" are fooling themselves if they think Onkyo doesn't have a major QC problem. Those folks will undoubtedly not hesitate to purchase another Onkyo product either.

But I think for the majority of AVR purchasers who spent good money (and a significant amount of money to alot of us) on one of these models will be very reluctant to buy Onkyo again... especially as the process of getting the units to an "authorized service center" and the waiting to get the sucker "on the bench" and repaired (due to high volumes of units being sent in... (this from the service centers doing the repairs)) has been less than smooth or painless.

Just my $0.02 worth
post #34 of 60 Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 AM

Would like to know where you get that "2/3 of Onkyo owners" have a problem...

Another fear monger not reading the owners threads...
post #35 of 60 Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
From current market analysis Onkyo / Integra is the leader of the pack in the AVR consumer business, selling more units than any other competitor (ask Denon about that ).

I doubt, that a user count here is representative of the number of users, who face the same troubles. This - naturally - looks different to those, which are concerned, because this changes the balance of what you register. No one denies the problems, but one has to stay objective to keep it in perspective
post #36 of 60 Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm not a fear monger... I have read everypage & participated in the owners thread,with sincere enthusiasm over what I finally put down some hard earned cash to acquire! I love my AVR ! I just wish there was better QC !

If you read what I put down, you will see what I was trying to conveying is:
1) Folks at AVSF are usually more sophisticated than the masses...
there is no way this will ever be representative of the general public/population or their experiences!
2) When I posted, there were 12 "no problems", 25 "problems"...
where and when I grew up, that was known as simple math.
3) Whether you upgrade your AVR as often as you change your underwear, or this happens seldom/rarely/once in a blue moon... those who have been affected by the obvious poor QC (that allowed "goo" to bring down several of their lines, including flagship status equipment ) will never look at potential Onkyo equipment without bitter memories. (How "bitter" those memories are is to be judged by each involved... and I'll bet... (because we all read) the exact same thing from unhappy owners who are moving on to other AVR's now (putting them up on craigs list once they get back from repair, not wanting a "refurb"), or vowed they would never buy Onkyo again, back on the failure thread.

I don't hate Onkyo. They just need work in the QC! This can not be disputed... just ask all the owners... even those with "no problem" units (as in, it just hasn't happened to them yet? I think they are nervous/warry/waiting for any signs of impending "all expenses paid trips" to the nearest service center, or even "roll up your sleaves and pop the top off that puppy" action headed their way )

God I miss my baby
post #37 of 60 Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 PM

Liked: 16
I have no any problem with my TX-NR5008. As well as with the TX-NR1007.

AVTrauma
I'm not a fear monger... I have read everypage & participated in the owners thread,with sincere enthusiasm over what I finally put down some hard earned cash to acquire! I love my AVR ! I just wish there was better QC !

+1
post #38 of 60 Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Would like to know where you get that "2/3 of Onkyo owners" have a problem...

Another fear monger not reading the owners threads...

I am not sure where he got the 2/3 number..

BUT...if my situation is a good example

Over the past 5 years I have purchased 6 different Onkyo products

2 different 875 receivers...both units had HDMI boards go out...both fixed under warranty..I sold both of them later on
PRSC 885 preamp.....not one problem...I sold it as well
807 receiver...HDMI board went out and the extended warranty company gave me my money back
905 receiver....currently being boxed up and sent back to Onkyo from an authorized repair center because they can't figure out why it makes chirping noises when fed lossless audio...its under warranty still and perhaps there is a buyback coming?

I had a rather "spirited" exchange with several of their folk in NJ the other day on that unit what a POS I thought they built and put a MSRP of $2199 on
And last ...but definitely not least
a 5508 preamp...3 months old and now the remote is being unresponsive occasionally
it is going to be a royal PITA the take it out of service and be without for a few weeks....so I have done nothing

So 5 out of 6 have had issues...am I the exception?...am I the norm?

One thing I know...their QC needs some serious help

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #39 of 60 Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Where the 2/3rds comes from:

At the time of the posting, there were 37 responses in the problems/no problems for the x08 models

25 of the responses had problems, 12 had no problems

(3 x 12 = 36, so actually more than 2/3rds had problems at that time! This is simple math, and not that hard to figure out. )

Again, the caveat that this is not typical of the general public's experiences due to the "sophisticated" nature of AVSF members

The numbers are changing occasionally on this tread, but in regards to the x08 models, it is still more than half have problems incidently. This may inflame some here, but remember it's just simple math, uncomfortable as the numbers may be...
and remember, these do not reflect the general experinces of the public at all.

I just am waiting for the return of my AVR from it's vacation in southern California... something I wish I could do to pass the time
post #40 of 60 Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Again, the caveat that this is not typical of the general public's experiences due to the "sophisticated" nature of AVSF members

BUT

That fact would apply to all brands that members owned in AVSF forums

So...from a percentage basis a piece with a higher number of complaints, in this forum, does have some merit in regard to the overall reliability

I don't see a Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer complaint thread about any of their recent receivers here....

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #41 of 60 Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Mine failed after several months of flawless service: The usual symptoms. Onkyo agreed to send me a box and a shipping label. The unit is now in California (I am in Seattle area) and is due back any day now. The repair facility was absolutely aware of the cause and the cure. Not happy about the problem but **** happens. I would have been a lot less happy if Onkyo had wanted me to ship the beast out of state on my own nickel.
post #42 of 60 Old 11-10-2011, 04:53 PM

I assume the x09 model affected is a 709?
post #43 of 60 Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM

any x09 or xx09 (709, 809, 1009 ,5009...)has the possibility, but it is predominately the x08's that have the problem
post #44 of 60 Old 11-11-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
5508 here. 7 months old and it was turning itself ON. It would switch to a different input when it switched itself back on after turning it off with either the remote or via front panel.

Granted, I didnt experience some of the problems the other people are having. Not being able to turn the unit off with remote or front panel, it didnt switch inputs while on.

My IDE cable was upgraded and the gentleman at ABL Electronics stated that he has 600-700 units in for this problem and NONE have come back.
post #45 of 60 Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 PM

I voted once for one of our two Onkyo products: "No, with an X08 Onkyo Model (2010 Unit)"...... One of ours may be a 2011 unit. I haven't checked it. Still, doesn't seem I can vote twice. Oh well, carry on.
post #46 of 60 Old 11-12-2011, 08:25 PM

nezff, mine also turn on by itself, besides the switching to cbl/sat, scrolling thru the sound modes, unable to turn off except by unplugging... I think they were all symptoms of the same thing, jjust a matter of time till it got worse.

600-700 units for ABL Electronics! That is just one repair center! WOW!

Gotta say encouraging to here none back yet, but remember, most failed after 4-6 months... so I'm hopeful, but only time will tell
post #47 of 60 Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM

I purchased my PRSC5508 in May 2011. It started failing 65 days later, first symptom was remote not responding. It later got worse with front panel not responding and finally the cyclying of inputs. My unit got replaced in July and so far so good.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

There can never be enough music
post #48 of 60 Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 AM

My thanks to those who recently added to the poll, the numbers have changed significantly in the last few days for the x08 models... still about 2/3rd's have reported problems in this line, plus the info from repair centers some members have received has been enlightening. Wishing us all the best of luck with our repaired units... (mine is about 3 months out now, and so far, so good with the limited use I've put on it.)
post #49 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 PM

not a 3008 or 3009, but my 3007 hdmi board died in October,
only had 200 hours on it,
onkyo said part was on back order till 1/22/2012,
told them this is unacceptable and they are replacing my receiver.
hope they don't send me one of the bad 08 or 09's
post #50 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

I want a 709 or RC370 so bad for all of the features... but I just have no faith in Onkyo right now with all of the problems I keep reading about at AVS.

I have a brand-new HT-RC370 I got near the holidays. It is awesome for all of the features, but it just showed me for the 2nd time that it has the input scrolling problem. Removing power fixes it, for now. Also displayed some weird striated green lines on any input a different time. Had to remove power again to fix that. Time for a refund!
post #51 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM

What are the 8th & 9th digit of the serial# ?
post #52 of 60 Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 AM

count me in amongst the afflicted . Input cycling, freezes, the whole shot. 3008.
Amazon march 2011. Looking forward to my service call.
post #53 of 60 Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
post #54 of 60 Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 PM

9/27/2012
I have a 5008 that is having all the problems listed. Onkyo is sending me a carton to pack it up and send to a repair center.
For those who have already gone through the proceedure...how did it go...what am I to expect as for as length and quality of repair?
post #55 of 60 Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 AM

shodawg,
Kind of depends where you are, and where the nearest authorized service center it will be sent to is located. West Coast folks were having theirs shipped to SoCal, and the center there had a very fast turn around time . Other areas of the country had different experiences with some repairs delayed because of replacement parts not available.

You will find more info on this in "The Official Onkyo RC270.... Failure Thread" here at AVSF
post #56 of 60 Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

shodawg,
Kind of depends where you are, and where the nearest authorized service center it will be sent to is located. West Coast folks were having theirs shipped to SoCal, and the center there had a very fast turn around time . Other areas of the country had different experiences with some repairs delayed because of replacement parts not available.
You will find more info on this in "The Official Onkyo RC270.... Failure Thread" here at AVSF

I am in the Seattle area so it appears mine will be going to SoCal.
I am a bit concerned with the issues returning once the unit is repaired and returned based on some of the posts.
post #57 of 60 Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Well, I have received the prepaid shipping box, packed up my 5008 and will be shipping it to the service center in Huntington Beach tomorrow. Hope all turns out well.
post #58 of 60 Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
Add another 5008 to the list of failed units. Just under two years old. No audio from any source. Will be contacting Onkyo this week.

John
post #59 of 60 Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Mine is back from the service center. Working again.

Description of work:
Replaced cable (Part number- 2009991154UL -socket/cable 15") and connectors (2 - 25056643 P7501A,B connector)
Updated firmware to current version
Tested
post #60 of 60 Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got my 5008 back from ABL. Here is what they listed:

"Traced problem to and replaced defective HDMI board, IDE connectors on microprocessor & display boards & amp IDE cable on microprocessor board per S/B 11060704 & upgraded firmware to the factory specifications. Reassembled & verified proper operation. Exchanged faulty remote control."

The parts replaced were:
2009991154UL - *P7501 CABLE INTFC
25056643 - *P7501 A&B IDE PLUG
24140773 - *A961 RC773M
1B234557-1G_0367A2 - *U008 HDMI BD

I talked to the guy and he said the issue would not reoccur. I think they replaced the IDE as a precaution due to the Service Bulletin (S/B) as stated in the service performed section. The issue with my remote for sure was remote related, not the cable issue because my other universal remote worked fine. I believe that at least with the x008 line, there are two different issues.

1. There is the issue with the IDE cable corrosion that cause the no response issue to commands using any remote. This one shows up quicker.
2. The no audio with grayed out menu options is related to the HDMI board. This one manifests itself after 18 months. My guess is after time, the temperatures eventually cook the board most likely due to poor ventilation design (the onkyo running hot complaint).

I have my Onkyo with two high output 140mm fans on top of the Onkyo drawing hot air out from day one. I hope this helps others with any one of these issues.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page