x08 and x09 Onkyo Failure Tracking Thread - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced the input-scrolling/unresponsiveness/random power on/off failure
Yes, with an X08 Onkyo Model (2010 Unit) 2 66.67%
No, with an X08 Onkyo Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
Yes, with an X0.2 Integra Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
No, with an X0.2 Integra Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
Yes, with an X09 Onkyo Model (2011 Unit) 1 33.33%
No, with an X09 Onkyo Model (2011 Unit) 0 0%
Yes, with an x0.3 Integra Model (2011 Unit) 0 0%
No, with an x0.3 Integra Model (2010 Unit) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
In order to quantify the extent of the failures of the x08 and x09 mid and high level Onkyo receivers, I have created this thread to track failures.

Please only post if you are an owner of an Onkyo receiver effected by this issue.

Onkyo Press Release: http://onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215
Integra Press Release: http://integrahometheater.com/press.cfm?id=216
winston9332 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hi winston9332, what about the 3008/5008?
JChin is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi winston9332, what about the 3008/5008?

Apologies, I meant the X08 line to encompass the X008
winston9332 is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hdtv00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ill
Posts: 1,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No but my 876 HDMI board died in just two years. Just bought 809 hope it last lot longer than my 876. Nothing but issue after issue with Onkyo lately, how many years running now.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000
 

hdtv00 is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Member
 
busbeepbeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a HT-RC270 with issues so I selected X08 (2010)
busbeepbeep is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Newbie
 
2fas4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
busbeepbeep - did you have the noted issue or another one?

My 270 exhibited HDMI probs - no video out. Havent got it back yet, but could be what hdtv00 had
2fas4u is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Member
 
busbeepbeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had the 270 for 4 days. Got it from Amazon Warehouse as open box. Hooked it up. Day 1 was fine. Came home on day 2 saw the receiver on and cycling thru audio modes. Unplugged for a while and it resets. Seen it turn itself on two more times. Trying to decide whether to try to get it repaired (if they'll even honor the open box) or just return it and go with something else.
busbeepbeep is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by busbeepbeep View Post

I've had the 270 for 4 days. Got it from Amazon Warehouse as open box. Hooked it up. Day 1 was fine. Came home on day 2 saw the receiver on and cycling thru audio modes. Unplugged for a while and it resets. Seen it turn itself on two more times. Trying to decide whether to try to get it repaired (if they'll even honor the open box) or just return it and go with something else.

They will likely repair it if you purchased it from an authorized dealer...
winston9332 is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello,
The late Builds of the x08's did have the Serial Cable that caused all of the problems described above changed. I spoke with multiple people from Onkyo and others that have said the same.

That is not to say something else might go wrong, or that my very late build 3008 could have the problems that many have had. However, I am cautiously optimistic.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Member
 
davepr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
The late Builds of the x08's did have the Serial Cable that caused all of the problems described above changed. I spoke with multiple people from Onkyo and others that have said the same.

That is not to say something else might go wrong, or that my very late build 3008 could have the problems that many have had. However, I am cautiously optimistic.
Cheers,
AD

What is the date that separates early from late models?
davepr is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
The late Builds of the x08's did have the Serial Cable that caused all of the problems described above changed. I spoke with multiple people from Onkyo and others that have said the same.

That is not to say something else might go wrong, or that my very late build 3008 could have the problems that many have had. However, I am cautiously optimistic.
Cheers,
AD

Interesting to know...any idea why only the 709/370 had the bad cable in 2011? Was it the cable or this gel in the end?
winston9332 is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello,
I called Onkyo. I got an A-Stock 3008 as a Replacement for my B-Stock TX-NR3007. I was without my 3007 for almost 2 Months due to the Local Service Center turning into a fiasco.

First they released my 3007 telling me it was ready only to find out the HDMI would no longer process Audio from the HDMI Board, I initially took it there to the Video freezing while HDMI worked fine as far as Audio went.

After countless problems, finally Onkyo had my 3007 sent to Saddle Brook, NJ. At first, I was going to get a B-Stock 3008, but there were none available when my AVR was at Onkyo and they had mercy on me and Ordered an A-Stock TX-NR3008 for me.

When I called Onkyo in NJ (not the 800 Number) I gave them my S/N and was informed it was a super recent build and that the Serial Cable had been addressed on late production 3008's and other x08 Series.
I called other folks at Onkyo to ensure that what I was told was the truth,

I am going to extend the 2 Year Warranty to 4 Years by purchasing the Extended Warranty from ShopOnkyo as opposed to getting a 3rd Party Extended Warranty as 3rd Parties can often make it difficult to get Shops to Repair it and if say the HDMI Board is bad, they will just cut you a Check for whatever you Purchased it for less depreciation, If you have a 3008 or 5008 and got it from AC4L, there is a good chance the Check will not come close to covering buying a Replacement whereas Onkyo will either fix it or Exchange it.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

When I called Onkyo in NJ (not the 800 Number) I gave them my S/N and was informed it was a super recent build and that the Serial Cable had been addressed on late production 3008's and other x08 Series.
I called other folks at Onkyo to ensure that what I was told was the truth,
...

Hi Audiodork, curious what is your 8th and 9th digit of serial number?
JChin is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Member
 
malaplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just sent my 3008 into Colorado for repair under warranty. I am experiencing all of the same symptoms mentioned above.

The 8th and 9th digit of my serial number is "0Z"
malaplace is offline  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Member
 
busbeepbeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My HT-RC270 with issues has serial number "0Z" in the 8th and 9th digits.
busbeepbeep is offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Any folks with a 709 or 809 experience an issue?
winston9332 is offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Zimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a 370-video went out - had to reset, came back. Not sure why
Zimmy is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Zimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a 370. All the back hdmi stopped working. The front input still works. Sent to an authorized repair guy- said they are having a lot of problems with onkyos and their service dept.
Zimmy is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I want a 709 or RC370 so bad for all of the features... but I just have no faith in Onkyo right now with all of the problems I keep reading about at AVS.
alphaiii is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

I want a 709 or RC370 so bad for all of the features... but I just have no faith in Onkyo right now with all of the problems I keep reading about at AVS.

Hello,
I would recommend reading the actual Owners Thread as opposed to the Failure Thread. As a corollary to the massive popularity of Onkyo is going to be naturally more reported issues.

All I can say is given the momentum they have gained since the x05 Series and the Black Eye over the Serial Cable issue the caused the x08 Failure Thread to begin with, I honestly think the x09's are going to prove to be well sorted out.

And while it looks pretty scary when seeing all of these Threads, at last updated, it was 21 AVR's that needed to be Repaired on the x08 Failure Thread. And considering the TX-NR608 was the most popular AVR on the Market, I think a certain amount of perspective needs to be had.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Facts about the "failure thread"...

1. It is overly skewed.
2. There are EASILY 30 times the people posting in the various owners threads of the X08/X0.2, than there are in the two failure threads.
3. The "failure" if you do it yourself costs about $12 to fix. Most local shops(I'm in Chicago) will fix the problem the SAME DAY for around the same price as shipping it to an authorized Onkyo facility.
4. Not exactly "fool proof", but where ever you get a X08 or X0.2, you can call the 800# and find out if yours is in the "known failure" list.
schan1269 is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Member
 
BayouBengal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No problems yet with my 708, keeping my fingers crossed.
BayouBengal is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I would recommend reading the actual Owners Thread as opposed to the Failure Thread. As a corollary to the massive popularity of Onkyo is going to be naturally more reported issues.

All I can say is given the momentum they have gained since the x05 Series and the Black Eye over the Serial Cable issue the caused the x08 Failure Thread to begin with, I honestly think the x09's are going to prove to be well sorted out.

And while it looks pretty scary when seeing all of these Threads, at last updated, it was 21 AVR's that needed to be Repaired on the x08 Failure Thread. And considering the TX-NR608 was the most popular AVR on the Market, I think a certain amount of perspective needs to be had.
Cheers,
AD

Lets put some reality to the numbers..

According to the industry's market reports, in North America Onkyo sold 685,000 AVRs from January 1, 2008 to June 30, 2011..
Assuming a failure rate of 3%, that equates to a total of 20,500 bad AVRs, yet the thread doesn't even suggest a number anywhere close to that.. Something doesn't add up..

I wonder..
How many? of the reported failures were for installs that had inadequate ventilation..

Just my $0.02..
M Code is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Inadequate ventilation is grounds for "warranty exclusion".

IT is easy to check an AVR for heat stress. There are parts in them that should "never get hot", they can easily cover them with some form of wax that melts at a certain temperature...and if the wax is melted...no warranty.

Technics and Kenwood used to pull that trick in the 80's and 90's.
schan1269 is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I would recommend reading the actual Owners Thread as opposed to the Failure Thread. As a corollary to the massive popularity of Onkyo is going to be naturally more reported issues.

All I can say is given the momentum they have gained since the x05 Series and the Black Eye over the Serial Cable issue the caused the x08 Failure Thread to begin with, I honestly think the x09's are going to prove to be well sorted out.

And while it looks pretty scary when seeing all of these Threads, at last updated, it was 21 AVR's that needed to be Repaired on the x08 Failure Thread. And considering the TX-NR608 was the most popular AVR on the Market, I think a certain amount of perspective needs to be had.
Cheers,
AD

I've been following the 709 owners thread so far... but it's still pretty early for the 2011 models. Although there is already one report of the HDMI inputs crapping out.

It just worries me when Onkyo included the 709/370 in the press release regarding the "continuous input change/non-responsive to commands" that affects the 2010 models.
alphaiii is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

3. The "failure" if you do it yourself costs about $12 to fix. Most local shops(I'm in Chicago) will fix the problem the SAME DAY for around the same price as shipping it to an authorized Onkyo facility.

Are referring to out of warranty repairs?

Or are consumers required to pay shipping for warranty repairs of a known problem?
alphaiii is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what if it is included? It is ALREADY DOCUMENTED all over this glorious thing we call the interwebs...

The PCB coating on some models was "over applied". I'm sure it WILL BE a problem on some X09 as well. Am I worried about it? No. Am I worried about it for my customers? No.

That is why these things come with a warranty.

IF there is too much PCB coating in ANYTHING...it causes problems. Remember the "laptop battery problems" from a few years ago? An "overabundance of PCB" was found to be the cause in a bunch of the battery fire/meltdowns.
schan1269 is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

So what if it is included? It is ALREADY DOCUMENTED all over this glorious thing we call the interwebs...

The PCB coating on some models was "over applied". I'm sure it WILL BE a problem on some X09 as well. Am I worried about it? No. Am I worried about it for my customers? No.

That is why these things come with a warranty.

I'm aware its documented all over the "interwebs" smartass... for the 2010 models...

If those particular 2011 models are included in the press release, then Onkyo is probably expecting the same issue (same parts maybe?) with some of them as well, right?

You may not be worried... but I find it really alarming that Onkyo may have let something escape QC again this year when it's turned out to be a legitimate issue with last years models, whether the frequency is overestimated or not.
alphaiii is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I completely understand your point. However...

This PCB problem is noticeable, and correctable with-in 35 minutes of being "first out of the box".

IF you know what to look for, and you are confident to take 8 screws out of it...
Look at the 40-pin cable before you ever plug it in. If there is "excess goo"...return the receiver, or break out a can of cleaner and take 10 minutes cleaning it out. Is it unfortunate that you "might" have to do that? Yes it is.

But, if that is the ONLY PROBLEM your receiver ever has...I'd take that problem all day long.
schan1269 is offline  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

I completely understand your point. However...

This PCB problem is noticeable, and correctable with-in 35 minutes of being "first out of the box".

IF you know what to look for, and you are confident to take 8 screws out of it...
Look at the 40-pin cable before you ever plug it in. If there is "excess goo"...return the receiver, or break out a can of cleaner and take 10 minutes cleaning it out. Is it unfortunate that you "might" have to do that? Yes it is.

But, if that is the ONLY PROBLEM your receiver ever has...I'd take that problem all day long.

I agree with you.... it could certainly be worse....

But it is sad I'd have to check for a problem on a brand new receiver. On one hand, at least it's "fixable"... on the other, it shouldn't be there to being with.
alphaiii is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off