Amplification options for avr-3311 5.1 w/energy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have currently updated my home theater with the options givin at hand. What I am looking to do is amplify the system. Not sure if I want to amplify the rear surrounds but here is my current set up

Denon avr-3311
Energy C-C100 center channel
Energy Audissey a3+2 (bi amped from denon)
Energy 10' sub (active)
Energy C-100 surrounds

Should I get a multichannel amp and power up the 5.0 system or bi-amp the a3+2's and center channel

I am currently looking at a sunfire 200, Outlaw 7100, or I have found a guy on CL selling Denon POA-8200 and 8300 for a great price..

Yet I still dont know what would be the simplest set up. I watch mostly movies on here and listen to the occasional RUSH cd since they are my favorite band EVER

3 things in life my father said to me

1. Deny till death
2. If you dont sleep with her, someone else will
3. If it dont fit, force it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
The bi-amp configuration on the 3311 isn't buying you any extra power and likely neither will the amps you're considering ... rather bump up to something like the Emotiva XPA-3 instead.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

I checked out these amps and they look pretty nice. Is running 200 wpc into my center channel rated @ 85 watts pushing it headroom wise? Maybe I should look into a 2 channel amp for the a3+2's?

1. Deny till death
post #4 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthecrate View Post

I checked out these amps and they look pretty nice. Is running 200 wpc into my center channel rated @ 85 watts pushing it headroom wise? Maybe I should look into a 2 channel amp for the a3+2's?

Unless you're running at full max output, your center won't see 200W. That said, a 200W input could probably damage the speaker if it's maximum input is 85W (you are talking more than double).
post #5 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

Unless you're running at full max output, your center won't see 200W. That said, a 200W input could probably damage the speaker if it's maximum input is 85W (you are talking more than double).

So then maybe a 2 channel amp would be more appropriate for the a3+2's and leave the 123 wpc receiver to hand the center and surrounds?

1. Deny till death
post #6 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about my spelling, its late and I have been mountain bike riding all day. Good thing i'm not running the country..

1. Deny till death
post #7 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Yes .. as they are 6Ω rated while the other speakers are 8Ω rated a 2CH amp would be more appropriate if you feel you need more power.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 9 Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess that is what I am suffering from. To my ears as now, it sounds good, I get very decent sound staging with them positioned 12 ft away from me and less than a foot from the walls. I guess I am just a typical man looking to better my experience with these speakers. My entire room sits about 25x20 with high vaulted ceilings so I know the 125 wpc with these A3+2's are probably small for what the room they sit in but I still get about 109db at my listening position. anything more than that just fatigues my ears and frankly gives me a headache. I guess I am chasing more sonic capabilities out of these speakers with external amplification. Question is do I really need it?

1. Deny till death
post #9 of 9 Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthecrate View Post

Well I guess that is what I am suffering from. To my ears as now, it sounds good, I get very decent sound staging with them positioned 12 ft away from me and less than a foot from the walls. I guess I am just a typical man looking to better my experience with these speakers. My entire room sits about 25x20 with high vaulted ceilings so I know the 125 wpc with these A3+2's are probably small for what the room they sit in but I still get about 109db at my listening position. anything more than that just fatigues my ears and frankly gives me a headache. I guess I am chasing more sonic capabilities out of these speakers with external amplification. Question is do I really need it?

No - 109 dB is giving you a headache because it's well beyond the threshold of pain and well beyond what you should be exposed to without protection. Either turn it down and preserve your hearing, or keep cranking it up and it won't matter what you do - you'll have long term hearing damage and so on in a fairly short period of time (we're talking weeks here, not years).

109 dB is also above any "top end" for reference level output (105 dB should be your peaks, 85 dB should be average - I personally feel those levels are too high (for prolonged (As in daily) use - this is based on OSHA/CCOHS data as well) and suggest something in the 60-70 dB range for average, if you can't hear that over whatever background noise you've got, deal with the background noise, don't use the amplification to "mask" other noises - it will still damage your ears).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page