I Need Speaker Selector Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which speaker selector should I get?

I have a denon a/v receiver which I plug main surround sound into zone 1, and 4 other rooms into zone 2 via a radioshack speaker selector ($40)

The speaker selector is a bad one, volume decreases when I activate other rooms, volume control in 1 room affects volume in another room. I have done research and these are known issues with this particular speaker selector.

I need some advice on a better speaker selector. I haven't been able to find too much info on this subject online

I am by no means an audiophile, I don't need the latest, greatest, and have a budget to keep in mind. On the other hand, I would like something that won't affect quality/volume when I am playing music in multiple rooms

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslamb View Post

Which speaker selector should I get?

I have a denon a/v receiver which I plug main surround sound into zone 1, and 4 other rooms into zone 2 via a radioshack speaker selector ($40)

The speaker selector is a bad one, volume decreases when I activate other rooms, volume control in 1 room affects volume in another room. I have done research and these are known issues with this particular speaker selector.

I need some advice on a better speaker selector. I haven't been able to find too much info on this subject online

I am by no means an audiophile, I don't need the latest, greatest, and have a budget to keep in mind. On the other hand, I would like something that won't affect quality/volume when I am playing music in multiple rooms

Any ideas?

While there are better speaker switches they all will face the same problem, X power comes out of your receiver at Y volume control position. As you add or subtract speakers via the switch the amount of power each speaker gets will vary and therefore the volume will vary. You can deal with this by adding volume controls in each room or adding a switch with volume controls.

Also add to this that if your speakers vary you will hear different volumes from room to room due the variance in the efficiency of each speaker.

You could add separate amps for each pr, so the power stays constant as other prs are added or subtracted. Much more money than a switch.

I wouldn't put it past the home automation guys to have some sort of system that feeds back the volume level and auto adjusts it, but if they do it will be big bucks.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Maybe a fixed voltage system, but that calls for a fixed voltage amp, and converters at each speaker I think?

Otherwise, I would guess there's no simple fix.

I am not an expert on the topic, though.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have volume controls in each room

The main problem with the radioshack selector is that when you adjust volume of A in 1 room it also adjusts B, but doesn't affect C or D

On the other hand, when you adjust C in 1 room, D is affected and vice versa

Again, this is a known problem with this speaker selector (4 ports)

Is there a selector that doesn't have this issue?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_se....php?catcdID=7

High and low power choices with and without volume.

B.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page