post #271 of 1569 Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi rider4life,

Quote:

Is there any way to make it so the volume is more level? meaning that right now some parts are really soft and all of a sudden its loud.

ALC is supposed to help with that but you are obviously under the spell of the program content.
Such as movies that get loud at crash scenes etc. and the still annoying commercials that want to double their volume to get your attention.
There is no feature specific that you could set a certain dB and the volume would never increase above that.
However, if you look on page 37 in your OP Manual about ALC, it will tell you more about it.
Also when in ALC you can go into Audio Parameters and adjust the "Effect."
My E53 and my VSX 1020 are almost exclusively set to ALC and I only deviate from that if the Content requires it.

Quote:

My DTV is plugged into the BDR/DRV and every time I turn on the system it seems to go to the SAT/TV input instead. I cannot seem to find the setting to change this.

Any time your receiver defaults to TV/SAT is usually because you have HDMI Control "ON"
If you go to page 47 it discusses "HDMI Control" but in essence you need to go into the GUI and select "System Setup" and then select "HDMI Setup" then press Enter,
then Set "Control with HDMI" to "OFF"
Your E52 will now go to whatever Input Setting you were at, when you shut it down or I should say put it in "Standby."

That should do it for now, Congrats on your new purchase, I love my E53 and I know that you will really enjoy your new E52!

Have a Great Weekend!

Bud B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1569 Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Liked: 10
I was thinking of buying either an HK 2650, Yamaha RX A1000 or Onkyo 609, but was sidetracked by a $499 price for last year's VSX 31. When I went to pick it up at the store and the guy brought it to me, I thought I would take a quick peak at the 52 and 53 before laying down the cash. Now i'm stumped, and it appears I may be upgrading. By any chance has anyone in this thread upgraded from the VSX 31 to a VSX 52 or 53, or at least had the opportunity to see and hear them both in action?
post #273 of 1569 Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Been looking to replace my dead HK, had it down to the Denon 2312 & the Pioneer svx-52. Been waffling. Almost went with the 1121-k from NewEgg this weekend due the great price, but really wanted the svx-52. Anyway ... just pulled the trigger on the svx-52. Now ... have to wait 3 days for the UPS man! But I'll have it for the weekend! So excited. Tried to tell my wife, but she's busy watching Dancing with the Stars ... so you all get this, my first post. I know how slowhat feels.
post #274 of 1569 Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 PM

Here's a question for all your Logitech Harmony (One) owners. I am trying to use this remote to control my receiver, and most everything works well. However, I was wondering if there is a way to control items in the "Audio paramaters" mode of the receiver- I can't seem to move up/down/left/right using the directional buttons of the Harmony One. Any thoughts?
post #275 of 1569 Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Jch1,
Quote:
I was wondering if there is a way to control items in the "Audio parameters" mode of the receiver- I can't seem to move up/down/left/right using the directional buttons of the Harmony One. Any thoughts?

I have the Logitech 650 and I really like it a lot BUT nothing is perfect!
There are a few things that are easiest with the push of a button on the old remote:
1) The four Sound-field buttons for when I want to scroll through them
2) The two Arrow buttons for moving backwards and forwards through the HDMI Inputs.

I can Customize my 650, such as use the Red and Green buttons on the 650 for the Left and Right Arrows.
And when in the Sound field selection, use the color buttons for the 4 Sound fields buttons.

I just have not done so..Lazy I guess!

With That said though yes, my Logitech 650 will get me get into the "Audio Parameters" but just let me select the Memory Locations from #1 to #6.

I'll play around with it some more.

Bud B
post #276 of 1569 Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi Jch1,

I have the Logitech 650 and I really like it a lot BUT nothing is perfect!
There are a few things that are easiest with the push of a button on the old remote:
1) The four Sound-field buttons for when I want to scroll through them
2) The two Arrow buttons for moving backwards and forwards through the HDMI Inputs.

I can Customize my 650, such as use the Red and Green buttons on the 650 for the Left and Right Arrows.
And when in the Sound field selection, use the color buttons for the 4 Sound fields buttons.

I just have not done so..Lazy I guess!

With That said though yes, my Logitech 650 will get me get into the "Audio Parameters" but just let me select the Memory Locations from #1 to #6.

I'll play around with it some more.

Bud B

So it is doable though huh? Thanks for that- I'll spend some time figuring it out.
post #277 of 1569 Old 10-26-2011, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Hi again,
I am assuming so, it is said that you can customize buttons for different actions.
If I was you, and wanted to get your problem figured out, you should go to the mains forum page and there is a Harmony One as well as my 650 Owners Threads.
That would be your best bet to copy and paste your original question.

Link to Remote Control Threads...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=93

The Official Harmony One Owners Thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=967841

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #278 of 1569 Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 PM

just picked up my 52 a couple hours ago. love it so far. i did notice the detachable power cord was a little loose. anyone else seen this?
post #279 of 1569 Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brade Runner View Post

just picked up my 52 a couple hours ago. love it so far. i did notice the detachable power cord was a little loose. anyone else seen this?

Bud brought that up on one of the earlier pages. It really is super loose! I need to get a more secure one.
post #280 of 1569 Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 AM

I got one last week and I thought I had the cord in backward since it seemed so loose. Very odd. I'm not sure where you would get a more secure one. I taped mine in place so it should be good for years at this point. Not taped to the unit,taped to the cabinet.
post #281 of 1569 Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Hello everyone, I just got my Pioneer Elite VSX 52 AV receiver the other night and was trying to set it up and ran into some issues I was hoping someone could help me with.

Ok first I'm not as knowledgeable about the Audio as I am with the Video so please forgive me if I'm asking basic questions. I'm currently reading the user manual but it's tough figuring it out, its not exactly written the way I'd like to be but anyway.

First here is how I have things set up right now, please tell me if its wrong or if I need to change it around.

1. I'm using my AT&T U-Verse cable box HDMI Output and going to the Receiver's HDMI 1 Input.
2. I'm using my PS3 HDMI Output and going to the Receiver's HDMI 2 Input.
3. I'm using my Pioneer Blue Ray player's HDMI Output and going to the Receiver's HDMI BD IN.
4. I'm using a fiber optic sound cable going out from my TV to the Receiver's OPTICAL IN 1.
5. I have 5 speakers I hooked up to the Receiver, One Center Two front and Two rear.
6. I'm using an HDMI cable Out of the Receiver going to the TV's HDMI 1 In.
7. I'm making sure that HDMI 1 is selected as the source on the TV.

Ok so here are the issue's I'm having.

1st. When I select HDMI 1 on my Receiver I get my AT&T U-Verse cable picture with sound and all appears to be good except for one thing, the two rear speakers and the Suwoofer arn't working, just the Center and two fronts.
In addition when I try to bring up a Netflix Program using my TV's built in Netflix App I can't get the sound to switch over to the speakers, it just keeps playing the sound from whatever channel I left it on before I launched the Netflix App.

Additionaly if I try to select another source like HDMI BD IN for my Blue-ray player I get picture but I only get limited sound again from the Center and two front speakers. Also the sub-woofer isn't working still. Note: I do have the cable from my Subwoofer going into the Receiver's SUBWOOFER 1 port.

Any help would be much apreaciated and if you have any questions for me please don't hesitate to ask, thank you.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #282 of 1569 Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM

hi there!
does your TV have an ARC HDMI port?in that case you can eliminate the optical audio cable,just use your HDMI OUT of your receiver
post #283 of 1569 Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic77 View Post

hi there!
does your TV have an ARC HDMI port?in that case you can eliminate the optical audio cable,just use your HDMI OUT of your receiver

It should it's ths new 70" PRO ELITE, would this feature be automatic or do I need to turn on the option?

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #284 of 1569 Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Hi RadTech51,

Quote:

the two rear speakers and the Subwoofer aren't working, just the Center and two fronts.

The two rear speakers need to be connected to the "Surround" Left & Right connections and NOT the "Surround Back" Left & Right.
A lot of people make this mistake, look on page 14 of the OP Manual for a good Speaker Wiring Diagram.

THe Subs will not work unless the Front Left and Right Speakers are set to "Small" if they are set to "Large" then the Sub Frequency's are sent to the Main Left & Right Speakers.
Check out page 69 & 70 of the OP Manual.

Quote:

In addition when I try to bring up a Netflix Program using my TV's built in Netflix App I can't get the sound to switch over to the speakers,

Which speakers are you talking about?
The TV's Speakers or the E52's Speakers?

I am assuming that from this..
Quote:

it just keeps playing the sound from whatever channel I left it on before I launched the Netflix App.

Did you mean that you put the NetFlix App up on your TV but it does not override the receivers Input?

Thanks,

Bud B
PS. You have the Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD?
post #285 of 1569 Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

I Was wondering if anyone encounterd this problem. Under > System Setup > Network Setup > 1. IP Address, Proxy > when I select this option a screen comes up saying Applying Settings and it just hangs there forever. I'm using an Ethernet cable going into the back of my Time-capsel which is plugged into my AT&T U-Verse wireless network. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #286 of 1569 Old 10-28-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

It should it's ths new 70" PRO ELITE, would this feature be automatic or do I need to turn on the option?

yep ,in the hdmi section
post #287 of 1569 Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi RadTech51,

The two rear speakers need to be connected to the "Surround" Left & Right connections and NOT the "Surround Back" Left & Right.
A lot of people make this mistake, look on page 14 of the OP Manual for a good Speaker Wiring Diagram.

THe Subs will not work unless the Front Left and Right Speakers are set to "Small" if they are set to "Large" then the Sub Frequency's are sent to the Main Left & Right Speakers.
Check out page 69 & 70 of the OP Manual.

Which speakers are you talking about?
The TV's Speakers or the E52's Speakers?

I am assuming that from this..
Did you mean that you put the NetFlix App up on your TV but it does not override the receivers Input?

Thanks,

Bud B
PS. You have the Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD?

Thanks, it looks like I resolved most of the problems I was having except the network one. It turns out it might be a bad Network card in the Receiver acording to Pioneer. He explained it shouldn't be hanging there on that screen that everythng should be automatic and easy. After varafying there is nothing wrong with the network connection I'm inclined to believe its a bad network card in the Receiver like he said. I meen what are the odds? Anyway I'll be trying to exchange it for another one tonight after work it's going to be a pain hooking everything back up.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #288 of 1569 Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I picked up the VSX-51 last week to replace my 4 year old Onkyo 505. This is my first Pio and I love it. Setting it up was really easy. Hooked it up to my home network with ethernet cable. It set itself up. Internet radio works great and I can stream music from my laptop to the avr without any issues.
Using the Spears & Munsil calibration disc I discovered that the Anchor Bay chip was less than desirable for video processing so I leave it turned off.
Calibrating my system with MCACC was really pretty simple. I did a lot of reading on the MCACC thread before my purchase arrived which made the process so much smoother. The sound is amazing compared to my older Onkyo.
I also have the iControlAV2 with my Android phone. This too also works flawlessly. Bottom line is I am very satisfied with my purchase. Now it's time to upgrade my speakers.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #289 of 1569 Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Last month I solicited receiver advice on the forum. I took it, and I'm happy to say my E52 arrived today. I have hooked up a 5.0 system (my old sub was passive). I have an HTPC with blu-ray hooked up to the BD via HDMI and the cable box to DVR/BDR via HDMI and the dvd player to DVD via component and digital coax.

Here's the problem. When I turn the reciever to the cable, a nice dolby digital sign pops up. But when I turn to DVD or BD, only stereo pops up. What do I have to do to get the dolby digital signal to be recognized from these devices?

Thanks.

--JM
post #290 of 1569 Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 AM

Ive got a question about the vsx 52. After looking at the manual it seems you cant simultaneously have the front height and rear surround speakers active at the same time. I also see that the receiver has 9.2 preouts so would it be possible to add a 2 channel external amp to enable the front heights in addition to the rear surrounds. Thanks
post #291 of 1569 Old 10-29-2011, 04:47 AM

I saw one other similar post, but no follow up on the resolution.

My 52 was working great, but came into the media room and turned the system on and I have no audio or video.

I checked the inputs and output cables, both HDMI and component and everything is fine. Everything else seems to work, I can use my iPad as remote and see it on the network, speakers are on, I can get the Internet radio stations to stream on the front panel, but no sound. Just nothing coming out even when I go to tuner I can't get static.

I'm going to do a factory reset (enter & power at same time I understand).

Just seems like a catastrophic failure which makes me think it is not. Anyone else have similar issues?
post #292 of 1569 Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Hi jmmcnew,

You asked,
Quote:

I have an HTPC with blu-ray hooked up to the BD via HDMI and the cable box to DVR/BDR via HDMI and the dvd player to DVD via component and digital coax.

I have the same setup as yours but I chose different Inputs for my Devices.
I went straight across the HDMI Inputs:

1) HTPC with Blu-Ray to HDMI 1
2) Time Warner Cabl's DVR Box to: HDMI 2
3) Panasonic VHS to DVD Burner/Player to: HDMI 3

I did this for ease and so I could just move left or right through the HDMI Inputs with the Arrow Left and Arrow Right buttons for Input Select.

If I had a dedicated standalone Blu-Ray Player then I would probably use the BD Blu-Ray Input but because it is part of my HTPC and there are other types of content such as Streaming, Music, Games, etc. I just use HDMI 1.
I am sure that it is probably 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other, if you get my drift.

Quote:

When I turn the receiver to the cable, a nice dolby digital sign pops up. But when I turn to DVD or BD, only stereo pops up

1) DVD: The receiver is really not lying, because unless you have a DVD Player that support Surround, most DVD's are just Stereo, but I do see DVD's with 5.1 Surround.
I would probably choose your Surround or Advanced Surround modes on your E52.
In the Surround mode such as DOPLII Movie or DOPRO Logic or what you like best.

2) Now your HTPC's Blu-Ray Player: Here's the rub on this, it really depends on a few things:
a) The Software that Processes and shows your Blu-Ray's ie, PowerDVD or some other Player Software.
b) The Video/Soundcard that transmits the Video/Audio to your receiver.

I have two HTPC's:
A Gateway that has: (related to a & b above)
a) Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10 to show the Blu-Ray's
b) XFX Radeon HD 5770 Video / Audio Card.
This upgraded AV Driver Card that I installed, utilizes HDMI Processing along with HDMI Out for the Video and the Lossless Bitstream quality Audio that PowerDVD 10 extracts from the Blu-Ray Disc.

The second HTPC is a HP:
a) HP MediaSmart Blu-Ray / DVD Software based on Cyberlinks PowerDVD 8, but the Software does not support Lossless Blu-Ray Audio.
b) ATI Radeon HD 4350 Video / Audio Card. with HDMI Out.
Video Card Audio specs: HDMI output support
*Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x10802
*Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution4

For me to be able to play Blu-Rays in Full Surround and not see as you do "Stereo" I need to be able to get into the HP MediaSmart Software and select the Audio that I need.
The bad part is that I can not (as I can with my Gateway and standalone PowerDVD 10) get into the Options of HP's Proprietary Software to select Surround Audio.
I am going to end up uninstalling HP's MediaSmart Software and Installing (as in my Gateway) PowerDVD 10
I should then be able to play Blu-Ray's in full Surround.
As a side note though, you want to also be sure that your Blu-Ray Disc Drive is up to ACS 7.1 Audio.

In my PowerDVD under the Audio selection, I can choose PCM Decoded by PowerDVD or Non-Decoded Dolby Digital / DTS Audio to External Device.
You want to use the second choice.

You could also go into the Software that opens when you play a Blu-Ray and see if you can get into the Audio options of that Software, if you can. then set it to let the External Device, your E52 receiver decode the Audio.

I hope that this will help more than confuse.
Bottom line is that the "Stereo" is due to your HTPC and not your new E52 Receiver!
Right now you have "GIGO" Garbage In / Garbage Out!

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #293 of 1569 Old 10-29-2011, 11:02 AM

Follow-up on my "no sound or video", tried to do a resetting factory defaults based on something I saw on this thread. I'm assuming that it didn't work because my input labels did not change. For instance HDMI 2 is still marked AppleTV.

What is the process to reset to factory defaults. Otherwise I have already tried unplugging to fix the issue.

Thank you for the help.

Update at 6:34 PM 10/29/11

Tried to follow the instructions on page 50 of the manual trying to reset the audio and video parameters which didn't seem to do any good. Ultimately I was able to reset to factory defaults by holding down enter while turning the unit on. Even after the total reset the unit is still not producing any audio or video regardless of input or output type, not even static. I've again verified that it is not the inputs by directly connecting to my project via hdmi and component and everything seems to be working.

As I mentioned, someone in August had a similar issue, I will have to wait until Monday to call Pioneer Elite for guidance. A little surprised that the there is none available on the weekend

If anyone else has some thoughts let me know. Thanks.
post #294 of 1569 Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,
Open the front door and turn off the receiver.
Press and Hold the "Enter" button down and turn on the receiver using the front Standby button.
Release the "Enter" button when you see the display come up.
You can use the arrows to scroll through the menus and you should see Reset and then I think Yes or No.

Good Luck,
Bud B
post #295 of 1569 Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
please excuse my ignorance on these questions as I am new to this. I am looking to use the 52 or 53 as a prepro, since the amp section won't be used, are there any other major differences between the 2, also, do these models use ice amps, just curious,thanks
post #296 of 1569 Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Panzer,
Quote:

I am looking to use the 52 or 53 as a prepro, since the amp section won't be used, are there any other major differences between the 2,

If you look at the Brochure below for the Elite VSX 53, the BOLD text indicates the Differences / Improvements from the Elite VSX 52

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

I will make it easy for you though...

1) Aluminum Front Panel
2) Full Band Phase Control
3) HDMI Inputs (7 In (6 Back, 1 Front) / 2 Out) VSX 52 has 1 Out.
4) Zone 3 Audio Pre-Out
5) IR (2In / 1 Out) VSX 52 has 1 In / 1 Out

You may be interested in # 4 above if you are actually going to have a Zone 3 with a separate Amp.

In Essence though, except for the Above 5 items, ALL of the Pre's / Amps and Software / DSP's are the same.

Enjoy,

Bud B
post #297 of 1569 Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Hi Panzer,

If you look at the Brochure below for the Elite VSX 53, the BOLD text indicates the Differences / Improvements from the Elite VSX 52

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

I will make it easy for you though...

1) Aluminum Front Panel
2) Full Band Phase Control
3) HDMI Inputs (7 In (6 Back, 1 Front) / 2 Out) VSX 52 has 1 Out.
4) Zone 3 Audio Pre-Out
5) IR (2In / 1 Out) VSX 52 has 1 In / 1 Out

You may be interested in # 4 above if you are actually going to have a Zone 3 with a separate Amp.

In Essence though, except for the Above 5 items, ALL of the Pre's / Amps and Software / DSP's are the same.

Enjoy,

Bud B

thanks for info, the 52 will suffice just fine.
post #298 of 1569 Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Just some ramblings from a new owner ...

Been able to tinker a bit this weekend with the new vsx 52. Had some problems using the AVNavigator app to set things up from my iPad, it all worked well until I hit the MCACC and then it just hung up. I used the onscreen guide to complete which was EZ enough.

Moved on to the iControl and had to manually add the receiver IP address to get it to work, but from there it's fantastic. I love the control you have with such simple things as renaming the input selectors. I think they could improve H.M.G. to give more options, but it does work well and the internet radio is great. It would be nice if there is a way to store favorites since there are so many radio stations. There could be, I'm still just playing around when I get some free time. I"m definitely going to spend some time dialing in my understanding of the features in iControl.

Airplay is exactly what I hoped it would be. Between the iControl app and the Remote app for iTunes, I have complete control of my entire music library from the comfort of my couch. It's cool having the onscreen display of the songs, and if the TV is on then you have that display with album cover art (very small on a large screen tho) which is nice during a party or with guests so they can see who is playing. I'm glad I pursued this option instead of falling back on the base station attachment. I have an Apple TV that I need to add in to the mix, so that I can stream the video and pictures, but there are so many free moments in a weekend.

I have an inexpensive Harmony remote (510) which so far seems to be working well, and for the first time in a while all my audio components are playing nicely and my wife finally has that 1-button to push to watch TV or movies ... peace and harmony ...

It's going to take me a while to get things really set-up particularly since I'm going to be purchasing new speakers, but so far, the 52 is really making me a happy camper. I should have saved my purchase for Christmas - maybe that'll be the speakers ... if I can wait that long ...
post #299 of 1569 Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Hey folks;
I want to simplify my wires experience and wish to create MACROS for such things like the Rhapsody\\Pandora. is there a way to assign these as a macro.

BTW. I am using a universal remote control controlled ROOMIE on the iPad that can use sequenced events, but prefer to just assign a hot key\\preset from the pioneer amp to go to the activity direct. In my mind I am afraid that the sequencing from rookie (using delayed next keys) could get thrown off if an event take a little longer and the send keys would then be out of synch..

THanks
post #300 of 1569 Old 10-30-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

I got one last week and I thought I had the cord in backward since it seemed so loose. Very odd. I'm not sure where you would get a more secure one. I taped mine in place so it should be good for years at this point. Not taped to the unit,taped to the cabinet.

Known issue, just called up pioneer and they sent me a newer cable, took about 3 days. BB in tacoma, wa had no clue and went through 2 boxes...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page