The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1569 Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if a firmware update is coming put to fix the remote from not being able to navigate the menus when in the hmg screen? Its getting frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1569 Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
KVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi KVH,

Yes, but it is not listed as an actual Zone 2 Setup.
If you use Speaker A + B ON, then Speakers "A" will have the 5.1 Audio of the Source, (your HTPC) and the Surround Backs will also have your Source Audio (HTPC)
but be downmixed to 2 Channel (Stereo)

Look on page 53 of the OP Manual top of 3rd column from the Left, SP A + B ON:
It states:

So when you want your HTPC to be in both places use Speaker A + B ON!
Also the VSX 53 with it's 2 HDMI Outs, you could use the second HDMI Out to run either a HDMI Cable or if it is a really long run, use CAT5e or CAT6 cable the Zone 2 HDTV, provided that there is one.
Then you can See and Hear the Audio through the HDTV or the Speaker A + B Setup, or a seperate power amp as I suggest below.....

Correct me if I am wrong.
Couldn't you also use the Pre-Outs to a separate Power Amp or Cheap receiver (with an HDMI Input) for your Zones.
The cost of a SC55 is $600.00 more than the E53, a Power amp / receiver could probably be found $100.00 to $200.00 or less?
There are also 4 channel amps and you could have Front L & R, Center and a Mono Surround.
You then could either place the amp next to the VSX 53 and then run speaker cables to the Zone OR run the audio connects to the amp at the zone for volume adjustment.
MonoPrice probably has cheap Audio connects depending on the length of the run.

My brother has a nice setup in his backyard, cable with two TV's and a very cheap receiver in his very large Gazebo by the pool.
The reason that he does not put expensive stuff back there, is because they are always outside and exposed to South Florida's harsh Weather!
They do not get wet, but it is very Hot and Humid, not a great area for electronics, but when they finally succumb the the outdoors, he replaces them.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat! LOL!
Just take off the blinders and as Larry the Cable guy would say, "Get 'er Done!" LOL!
You can figure it out and "Get er Done" with the Elite VSX 53!

Just My 2c,

Bud B

Technically you are correct about speakers "B" getting the D/A conversion, but with that setting, speakers "B" has to listen to the same source as the main zone.

The question that was asked was using Zone 2. Where you can watch TV in the Main zone and listen to something completely different in Zone 2 for example. If everything is hooked up correctly, you don't even have to turn on the Main zone to use Zone 2.

The second HDMI output only mirrors the main zone. The question was about Zone 2 component output. I think you are mixing up what a true Zone 2 is and just mirroring the Main zone which is speakers A/B and the second HDMI output.

Adding a powered amp would work using either Rec. out (mirrors main zone) or Zone 2 pre-out (independent of the main zone). This is the preferred method if powering more than 1 pair of speakers.

The way I prefer to hook things up is a true zone 2/3 setup. That way each zone is independent of each other, and all that is required is analog audio. It would be nice to have the rcvr do all the D/A but that's not a true zone 2 setup. Unless you don't care to always share the same source throughout the house. If single or no kids then no problem, but lets say the kids are watching Nickelodeon or something you hate. If using the speakers A/B setting, you have to listen to it outside at the pool for example..... I wouldn't want that either.

Kevin
post #363 of 1569 Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Kevin,

I saw your response and wondered if I had read RacerChris' question correctly.
RacerChris said,
Quote:

I use Windows Media Center PC to record shows and want to play it back in multiple zones.

From that I was assuming that he DID want the same Content in both places.

But now you say,
Quote:

The question that was asked was using Zone 2. Where you can watch TV in the Main zone and listen to something completely different in Zone 2 for example.

Where did you see that?
One of us read RacerChris's question wrong.....

Your interpretation of what RacerChris needed was different than mine for sure, we are Apples to Oranges here. LOL!
I was just trying to answer his question of how to have his HTPC be in two places with the same Audio, 5.1 in say the Living Room and Stereo in Zone 2.

Confused,

Bud B
post #364 of 1569 Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Hi RacerChris,

You said,
Quote:

PC has Component Video outputs and digital outputs

Have you thought about upgrading your PC with a new Video Driver Card.
I had the same thing in my Gateway and then I upgraded my PC with a XFX Radeon HD 5770 Video Card.
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...ries/5770.aspx
It has HDMI, Dual DVI, Display Port. and it connects to my Pioneer VSX 1020 and works Great.

My HP 112Y HTPC has a ATI Radeon HD4350 Video Card that also has HDMI Out. The HP HTPC Connects to my Pioneer Elite VSX 53 and also works well.
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...ries/4350.aspx

Nvidia makes some nice Graphics Cards as well....
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

If you are going to continue to have your HTPC connect with your Pioneer, you may want to think about an upgrade.
It is probably one of the easiest upgrades, besides adding Memory, that you can do.
It depends on what you PC Specs are as to what works best.
Also both of my HTPC's have Blu-Ray, my Gateway has the LG BH10 Blu-Ray Burner/Player and my HP has a Blu-Ray Player.

Here is the link for the HTPC Threads of the AVS Forums...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Just a FYI.

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #365 of 1569 Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In the past two days, I owned both the Denon AVR-3312CI and the Pioneer VSX-53. I choose both of these units because of the AirPlay feature. I returned the Denon because it cannot stream Airplay discretely to Zones 2 or 3 - you must also listen to it on Zone 1. I'm considering returning the Pioneer because it lacks the onscreen GUI that the Denon has - but seems to be able to discretely stream AirPlay to Zones 2 and 3.

I am buying these receivers for some people who require extreme ease of use... I dont find the Pioneer to be as user friendly as the Denon.

I'm looking for a receiver with the awesome GUI of the Denon with the multi-zone AirPlay capability of the Pioneer.

Any suggestions?
post #366 of 1569 Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by govboy View Post

After trying to decide between the Yamaha RXA 1010 and the VSX 53, I decided to give the Pioneer a home. I have owned it for a week and seem to be experiencing problems many others have on this forum

My power cord wont fit
I hear the pops when switching audio modes
My remote is very tempermental and sometimes wont work, but it may be something I am doing because when i switch to my Harmony One, it wont work at times either.
I was also dissapointed to learn the 53 is not class D as the salesman had originally told me.
Sometimes it develops a mind of its own and switches zone 2 or 3 on.

But after saying all that I will probably exchange, not return because I love that sound, and the video processing is amazing

My power cord keeps popping out, too... It just 'barely' sits in the power socket to make a connection - I can lightly bump the front of the unt and pop the power cord right out!

Picked up my 53 today (11/14/2011). I was going to take it back to BB to exchange it for another to fix this issue, but looks like this is not a one-time occurrence but rather a common event...
post #367 of 1569 Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Hi bmaiers,

Quote:

My power cord keeps popping out

I have mentioned about this issue many times, though I never had it "Pop Out" you must be hitting the heck out of your E53!

Quote:

My solution was to just swap out the power cord with a Grounded IEC Cord that was from an old computer, it plugged in very secure and has been fine since.
It has a Ground receptacle in the cord but because the Pioneer's are just 2 conductors, nothing plugs into the ground hole in the cord.
It also gave me a 3 prong plug at the end of the power cord.

So if you have an old IEC Power cord laying around or in a box etc.. try it out, power is power and it is not a special cord.
I think that I still have about 4 extra cords left, from old printers, Computers, etc..

Do you have another IEC Power cord hanging around, maybe from a previous dead piece if equipment?
If so, try it

Bud B
post #368 of 1569 Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi Kevin,

I saw your response and wondered if I had read RacerChris' question correctly.
RacerChris said,

From that I was assuming that he DID want the same Content in both places.

But now you say,
Where did you see that?
One of us read RacerChris's question wrong.....

Your interpretation of what RacerChris needed was different than mine for sure, we are Apples to Oranges here. LOL!
I was just trying to answer his question of how to have his HTPC be in two places with the same Audio, 5.1 in say the Living Room and Stereo in Zone 2.

Confused,

Bud B

Bud and Kevin,

Thanks for the replies.

I want to be able to have switchable HD Sources in Zone 1 & 2. Researched a bit and confirmed that the VSX series can't do this but the SC55 or 57 can. Furthermore, the SC55 can use the CV cable I already have run in the crawl space to Zone 2 AND that these Receivers have the 9 speakers that will allow me to have 5.1 in Zone 1 and stereo in Zone 2 and 3.

Now for the part I am still confused about. Is it a known limitation that the Receiver will not do the D/A conversion for Zone 2 unless it I am using the same sources in Zone 1? Or is this just a hypothesis? It seems that a receiver that is specially intended to have HD in Zone 2 should be able to do this. If so, then this will be a limitation for my BluRay player that has HDMI out and converting my HTPC to HDMI will not make a difference.

------------------------------------------
HTPC - Okoro Media HTPC
post #369 of 1569 Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 AM
KVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerChris View Post

Bud and Kevin,

Thanks for the replies.

I want to be able to have switchable HD Sources in Zone 1 & 2. Researched a bit and confirmed that the VSX series can't do this but the SC55 or 57 can. Furthermore, the SC55 can use the CV cable I already have run in the crawl space to Zone 2 AND that these Receivers have the 9 speakers that will allow me to have 5.1 in Zone 1 and stereo in Zone 2 and 3.

Now for the part I am still confused about. Is it a known limitation that the Receiver will not do the D/A conversion for Zone 2 unless it I am using the same sources in Zone 1? Or is this just a hypothesis? It seems that a receiver that is specially intended to have HD in Zone 2 should be able to do this. If so, then this will be a limitation for my BluRay player that has HDMI out and converting my HTPC to HDMI will not make a difference.

To clarify, the RCVR will not do any D/A for zone 2 (most if not all are this way) Zone 2 requires analog audio. If using speakers A/B instead of Zone 2 it will do the D/A but you then loose the ability to listen to two different things at one time.

Your bluray should have an analog audio output to use for zone 2.
post #370 of 1569 Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Please forgive me if this question was posted earlier in this thread.

I have the VSX-52. My components, including the audio and video of my tv are connected via hdmi cables into this receiver. I play my ipod via airplay. Is it possible to play a dvd while listening to an ipod? I'd love to be able to put on a fish tank scene dvd while listening to my ipod.

Thanks,
Jordan
post #371 of 1569 Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVH View Post

To clarify, the RCVR will not do any D/A for zone 2 (most if not all are this way) Zone 2 requires analog audio. If using speakers A/B instead of Zone 2 it will do the D/A but you then loose the ability to listen to two different things at one time.

Your bluray should have an analog audio output to use for zone 2.

Kevin,

Darn. That's what I was afraid of. A previous version of Windows use to output 5.1 from the digital out AND stereo from the analog out. Then came Windows XP and it no longer does that. Is this something you have personal experience with on the SC55?

How about the other post that seemed to suggest stereo would be output to Zone 2 IF Zone 1 was on AND on the same input... Do I have this right?

------------------------------------------
HTPC - Okoro Media HTPC
post #372 of 1569 Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaiers View Post

In the past two days, I owned both the Denon AVR-3312CI and the Pioneer VSX-53. I choose both of these units because of the AirPlay feature. I returned the Denon because it cannot stream Airplay discretely to Zones 2 or 3 - you must also listen to it on Zone 1. I'm considering returning the Pioneer because it lacks the onscreen GUI that the Denon has - but seems to be able to discretely stream AirPlay to Zones 2 and 3.

I am buying these receivers for some people who require extreme ease of use... I dont find the Pioneer to be as user friendly as the Denon.

I'm looking for a receiver with the awesome GUI of the Denon with the multi-zone AirPlay capability of the Pioneer.

Any suggestions?

I think you should open a new thread asking for suggestions...

Explain the same story and they will be able to help you out.

I know Harman Kardon has an Awesome GUI.
post #373 of 1569 Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM

Just got my new VSX-52 connected up today. Everything is working great, may change my patio speakers from "Speaker B" to a Zone 2 config but that requires some soldering on my side of things. Anyway, just wanted to ask if anybody knows how to mirror video from an iPad2 or is that simply not possible? I just tried it with the cable and it did do the audio, but I can do that with AirPlay. Sorry if this question has already been answered.

What I'd really like to do is mirror the entire iPad, not just a video.
post #374 of 1569 Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM
KVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerChris View Post

Kevin,

Darn. That's what I was afraid of. A previous version of Windows use to output 5.1 from the digital out AND stereo from the analog out. Then came Windows XP and it no longer does that. Is this something you have personal experience with on the SC55?

How about the other post that seemed to suggest stereo would be output to Zone 2 IF Zone 1 was on AND on the same input... Do I have this right?

I am a custom AV installer for 7 years and every RCVR I've installed zone 2 requires analog audio (Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer Elite)

I've heard of some newer Denon's being able to do the D/A but like I said, the Zone 2 has to be the same as Zone 1..... which also means, turn off Zone 1 you then loose the D/A to Zone 2. So analog audio has to be connected anyway.
post #375 of 1569 Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
KVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf67 View Post

Please forgive me if this question was posted earlier in this thread.

I have the VSX-52. My components, including the audio and video of my tv are connected via hdmi cables into this receiver. I play my ipod via airplay. Is it possible to play a dvd while listening to an ipod? I'd love to be able to put on a fish tank scene dvd while listening to my ipod.

Thanks,
Jordan

The round about way is to run a composite or component cable from the DVD player to an open input on the RCVR and connect some audio cables from the same input to your ipod. Currently using Airplay you cannot re-route video from a different source.
post #376 of 1569 Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Holy crap, the iControlAV2 app loses its mind if you have to reset your router and DHCP is enabled. The receiver gets a new address and the app tosses error codes like crazy. The solution is to turn off DHCP in the AVR's System Setup, hard-code an available IP address and gateway, and input that into your iPhone/iPad iControlAV2 app, then save and reboot your iPhone/iPad. At least then the IP address won't totally throw the apps off. I tried resetting them and other stuff, this was the only way to make it work reliably.

In my router, I have DHCP turned on for addresses 192.168.1.0-99 and everything 100 and above is static so my receiver is 101 now and will shall forever be so!

Also I notice that if your receiver starts up in Home Media mode the remote doesn't let you do anything for some reason, but I can change inputs with it and then when you come back to HMG it works OK.
post #377 of 1569 Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post

Just got my new VSX-52 connected up today. Everything is working great, may change my patio speakers from "Speaker B" to a Zone 2 config but that requires some soldering on my side of things. Anyway, just wanted to ask if anybody knows how to mirror video from an iPad2 or is that simply not possible? I just tried it with the cable and it did do the audio, but I can do that with AirPlay. Sorry if this question has already been answered.

What I'd really like to do is mirror the entire iPad, not just a video.

If you want to stream video content from your iOS device then the easiest thing to do is to hook an apple TV to your VSX-52 with an hdmi cable. Not sure if there's a way to mirror the entire device Not all video can be streamed - i don't think Netflix works, but regular videos and YouTube do.
post #378 of 1569 Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 AM

Does MCACC on this unit eq the sub? Thanks.
post #379 of 1569 Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM

nope,sorry
post #380 of 1569 Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Just felt like joining the party!! This is now my second Pioneer Elite. I have had a long line of Onkyo's and a few years back I pulled the trigger on a VSX-82TXS and I was instantly in love with the Pioneers.

I just sold it to a friend for a new VSX-52, its slightly lower on power which doesn't matter much to me, but I am really looking forward to all the new video processing toys, and CANNOT wait to use it with the iPad.

Anyway I had been reading through this thread for a while, I almost settled for the VSX-50 but reading gets me into trouble and I knew that after having the 82 I probably wouldn't be happy with the 50.

Anyway thanks for all the helpful info!! Will be setting it up soon
post #381 of 1569 Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic77 View Post

nope,sorry

No reason for you to apologize.

I knew MCACC didn't have sub eq in the past (I have had 2 elite models in the past 5 years), but didn't know about the newer models. I appreciate your reply.

Has there been any explanation from Pioneer on why they choose not to eq the sub with MCACC?
post #382 of 1569 Old 11-19-2011, 07:53 AM

I have just bought the VSX 50 and I am wondering if I should upgrade to the VSX 52 because of the Marvel processor and the THX certification? My room is only 13 x 18 and I have older JBL bookshelf speakers ( in the day they where only $200 cheaper then the Boise system). Also I have been reading the forum on HDMI cables and what is the truth on the audio end of the debate? BB swears that on the video end you can go low end, but the audio end is different. They went as far as getting upset when I told them to Google and YouTube it.
post #383 of 1569 Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Nevhder,

Quote:

I have just bought the VSX 50 and I am wondering if I should upgrade to the VSX 52 because of the Marvel processor and the THX certification?

I would tell you to go to the Pioneer page and do the Comparison!
Link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

Product Sheet VSX 50
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

Product Sheet VSX 51
http://http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/VSX-51_Single%20Sheet.pdf

Product Sheet VSX 52
http://http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/VSX-52_Single%20Sheet.pdf

The reason that I attached the Product Sheets for the VSX 50, 51 and the 52 is because the Bold Text indicates the benefits of one receiver over the other.
There is not a lot of Bold Text improvements on the VSX 51 hence the $100.00 extra over the VSX 50 but there is quite a bit of Improvements when you see the VSX 52 over the VSX 50 & 51.
and the $300.00 extra for it.
Lastly you have read the OP Manual for your Elite VSX 50 also read the OP Manual for the Elite VSX 52 & 53 and see what is different and what is the same.
Link to OP Manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions051911.pdf

It is really dependent on what you need in a receiver and is the $300.00 worth it to you?
The Marvel Qdeo is nice but I also have a VSX 1020 without it and I do not know that I am really suffering when I am watching my HDTV with it in my bedroom.
The VSX 52 has Pandora, Rhapsody and Sirius but if you are not going to use them, then that is no big loss!

I have the VSX 53 and I am not using the THX Speakers, Pandora, Rhapsody or Sirius YET, I do plan on growing into some of these features.
I also do not have an Ipod, Iphone or Ipad YET but I am looking at the Ipad2, I am just wondering what the next Ipad will be, so I am holding off!
I bought my Elite VSX 53 not just for Today but for Tomorrow too! I plan on growing into it!

Quote:

BB swears that on the video end you can go low end, but the audio end is different. They went as far as getting upset when I told them to Google and YouTube it.

I am not understanding that statement...
On the Video end you can go "Low End" what is Low End?
Low End about what?

But on the Audio end it is different, different in what way?

Please attach a link to the You Tube that explains this...

Thanks and Good Luck,

Bud B
post #384 of 1569 Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevhder View Post

I have just bought the VSX 50 and I am wondering if I should upgrade to the VSX 52 because of the Marvel processor and the THX certification? My room is only 13 x 18 and I have older JBL bookshelf speakers ( in the day they where only $200 cheaper then the Boise system). Also I have been reading the forum on HDMI cables and what is the truth on the audio end of the debate? BB swears that on the video end you can go low end, but the audio end is different. They went as far as getting upset when I told them to Google and YouTube it.

as audio is embedded in the video stream with hdmi (technically tmds), it would be a neat trick if audio somehow required a "better" hdmi cable...

they are blowing smoke up your behind...

thx cert basically means the cem paid for it...

unless you have a really crappy display (or a "large" screen, i.e. front projection), the video processing in the display is likely as good in "real world viewing" as anything you'll find in an avr... video processing is one of the most over rated "features" in a modern avr... and that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that most sit far enough away that they couldn't see any differences anyway...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #385 of 1569 Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 PM

@ Bud. What BB is telling (I know nothing about home theater) me is that from my receiver to the tv I can go with a cheaper hdmi, but from my BlueRay, Dish to my receiver I need a higher (audio quest "carbon" @ $168) end HDMI cable for the audio. What really blows is most people go into a place like that and ask what is needed etc and they really don't know Jack. Thanks again
post #386 of 1569 Old 11-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Nevhder,

OMG! I should have suspected something like that!

I second what Chris said above (your last post) though (an it may literally be in my mind) I could swear that I saw an Improvement in my Kuro's display after I had connected my E53 in-between my
Time Warner Cable Box and my Kuro.
I didn't feel alone when I saw others post their likewise perceptions, but again, it may just be in my mind, I have not tried to do a TWC Box to Kuro and then TWC Box to E53 back and forth.
I just left it for what it was, my blissful contention that it's better! LOL!

Getting back to the HDMI Cables, I think that in Hind-Sight when I bought my Pioneer Kuro Plasma, they tried to do the same thing to me!
Probably thinking that, hey the guy is shelling out a few thousand for a Kuro what's a hundred or so more for a HDMI Cable!
That's right up there with Oxygen free speaker wire at some God awful price!

I had hoped that they had gotten away from that, because of how much more Educated the consumer is today!
I usually respond with, "Your Kidding me, Right! LOL!
And they back down, knowing that I am not the gullible person they thought me to be!

What really makes me mad is when I hear about it happening to someone like my Parents, Sisters, Friends etc..
Who tell me about their purchase(s) so proudly, thinking to themselves that they had really done a good thing!
Then I have to burst their bubble, tell them the truth and see if they can still return it!
Though sometimes, if the purchase was so long ago that they cannot return it, I don't really have the heart to burst their bubble, rain on their parade, etc.. and make them feel bad!
No one likes to know that what they felt so good about, is really BS!
Ya know what I'm saying!
Still I don't want them passing this bad info on to others that are just as susceptible!
I try to take it down a notch and tell them that hey that's great but there is a place called MonoPrice and if you need cables in the future,
I should be able to help them and others get a much better deal and still purchase a High Quality product!
Tell your Friends!
But I could talk about this and the scams for hours!

Glad that you did not fall into their grasp! LOL!
You have found that it is probably just better to say, No Thank You and walk away, or ask, "Did you ever hear about a place called MonoPrice on the Web?"
That will probably put some starch in their Crotch! LOL!

So, Ya keeping the 50 or moving up to the 52, or still undecided? If you just got the 50 at BB, you have some time to kick the tires and see what you think..

Have a Great Sunday and Next Week to come, with a Happy Thanksgiving!
I am flying to Mickey's town, Orlando on Tuesday from the getting Colder all the time, Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse area where we are just starting to get into some of that White Stuff!
Orlando is showing upper 70's and Sunny for Thanksgiving, Friday and Saturday!
I can't wait!
Hope Everyone in here has a Great Thanksgiving Too!

Bud B
PS. I know that you know, but for those around you that don't, (It's the Holiday Season and Electronics purchases) tell them to just make sure that they get "High Speed" HDMI Cables! That is no joke!
And turn them on to MonoPrice.com, what a Great place for Cables and much more! Peace, I'm Out!
post #387 of 1569 Old 11-20-2011, 05:34 AM

Yup. Some of the things I overhear in BB are simply unbelieveable.

Anyhoo....been a VSX-53 owner for a few months now and love it. I'm new to MCACC so bear with me. I think I know the answer to this but maybe not eh?

It looks when you do a complete set up it goes in Memory 1?? Now, if you are watching a movie and turn the bass up or sourrounds down or what have you, this changes the data in memory 1 so you lose your initial calibration? Is that correct?

If so, presumably you copy your set up to another memory location and use that one to tweak?
post #388 of 1569 Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Is there a difference in performance between the VSX 1121 and Elite VSX 52?
Has anyone listened to these speakers together in a demo. I have heard the Elite model at BB and was very impressed. Thanks for any info!
post #389 of 1569 Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Hello,

Just picked up a VSX-52 last weekend to replace an HK AVR 3550HD. I wanted it especially for the iPad app and also Airplay.

I had done my research and wasn't expecting the OSD overlay like my old HK and I was fine with that, but I will say the HK was a bit easier to navigate the speaker setup and I think that's where I'm struggling.

I've read every post in this thread and saw someone else post about "tinny" sound quality and I have to say I'm experiencing the same thing. The sound is very 'thin', with too much high-end and not enough low-end/mid.

I ran the full MCACC a couple times and moving the mic to different seating positions found it to be very accurate guesstimating how far away the speakers were and noticing level differences when I changed settings on my sub, so I assume that it is operating correctly.

Following the comments in this thread I double-checked and saw that MCACC had indeed set my speakers to large. Fixed that and set to small with 80hz crossover. Still the same issue with audio output being thin & tinny. Even my wife noticed and she typically doesn't notice anything other than how loud it is

I'm a bit of a purist. I'm not a fan of all these different audio output formats (Optimum Surround, Music, Sports, Cinema, Dolby PL, THX Neo:6...) I like my blu-rays bitstreamed and pure and my music to be stereo or 5-channel stereo with a flat eq. This worked perfectly on my HK. I'll note that the Dolby and THX music settings are somewhat better with music than the stereo or ext stereo, but still not there. Blu-rays it's definitely noticeable since I don't want to downmix to a Dolby or THX format and leave it on Direct or Pure Direct.

The VSX-52 has all the 'features' I'm looking for and the iPad app is amazing. So I'm hoping that as Bud stated earlier this is just a setup issue that I need to work through to get the sound I'm expecting.

Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks!

Ben

-----
One last note to corroborate a couple issues that others have mentioned... I did notice popping switching between formats once while watching a blu-ray, but after switched to another HDMI input (my HTPC) and back and couldn't reproduce it. Similarly, switched to ALC and lost all audio and after switching HDMI inputs back and forth couldn't reproduce it.
post #390 of 1569 Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 AM

Does the 52 have discreet LFE outs, or can I run one sub cable and either daisy chain or split from that?

If so, how does MCACC set distance if you are running multiple subs from 1 output? Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page