The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my receiver set up. The features, compared to my 9 yo Yammie are crazy. Unfortunately I don't think it has the same build quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Hey Guys,
Finally bit the bullet 2 months ago and got a VSX-53 with basic plans to use my new MacMini or PS3 as the source for video/audio and as audio since I planned to have Zone 2 speakers in my living room and kitchen.

First off:
1. Cannot get PS3 to play multi-channel audio under ANY of the options. Yes, I have searched these forums extensively and followed the instructions about BitStream output vs. Linear PCM. The receiver still only displays L + R channels when any movie is playing. There is a really BIZARRE thing though - ALL the channels show up properly and audio comes from ALL speakers ONLY when the menu for Toy Story 3 is playing!?!?!!? When the actual movie starts - it's back to two channel. Go figure.

2. The BIGGEST complaint I have is that Zone 2 cannot play ANYTHING from my MacMini or PS3!!!! Nothing HDMI will go through. Your options are basically AirPlay or Internet Radio. What a HUGE load of RUBBISH!!! Absolutely maddening. All I want to do is play audio from my MacMini directly!!!!

3. There is NO way to equalize the output in Zone 2 at all - at least that I can find. Sure the iPad iControl2 AV app is awesome but you can't alter Zone 2 at all. Infuriating since the in-ceiling speakers sound very muddy and need adjusting. Any ideas?

4. Bought the WiFi adapter to use iControl AV wirelessly. Hopeless. Just wouldn't integrate with my Apple Time Capsule or Airport Extreme Networks. Kept showing up, but would never link with the iPad app. Infuriating. Had to buy another Airport Extreme to extend my network and plug in with ethernet cable.

5. AirPlay - well i suppose this is my fault. I assumed it would also do AirVideo. You know what they say about people who assume. Big disappointment.

It's a reasonable receiver but in case you couldn't tell i do have SERIOUS buyers remorse and wouldn't recommend this product. I bought into the whole Apple integration thing too much having used Apple products since 1983.

If anyone can help me solve all of these problems I'll give you a free root canal ;-) I work at a dental school.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 PM

I just bought a vsx-1326-k (aka vsx-53) two days ago.

This AVR is producing a loud static pop sound from the rear speakers (5.1) when the sound stream changes between PCM, DolbyDigital, Stereo, etc.
I am sending L-PCM from my PS3 via HDMI to the receiver - but before the blu-ray movie starts, there are a lot of transitions of various audio formats (trailers, etc).

This unit is an August 2011 build.

Is this audio issue a defect, or a known bug that I am supposed to just "live with" ?
I've seen other posts on here with the same issue.
Those of you with the same issue - what did you do - did you exchange it for another one that did (not) have the loud pop sound ?

I would appreciate some advice on this.
If it can't be fixed - and if this PCM - DD - Stereo stream transition that causes a loud pop in one's speakers is the case for all of you, let me know.
But if it is a defect in my particular receiver, that I can solve by exchanging this one for a different one (in the hopes that the new one does not have the same problem), then I'd like to know before my return-policy timeframe expires.

Lastly, if this is an AVR issue, or a PS3 issue - I am wondering if a firmware update (fix) from Pioneer would solve it. It seems to me that all they need to do is increase their "muting" timeframe when the AVR switches between different audio format/streams.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManKent View Post

I just bought a vsx-1326-k (aka vsx-53) two days ago.

This AVR is producing a loud static pop sound from the rear speakers (5.1) when the sound stream changes between PCM, DolbyDigital, Stereo, etc.
I am sending L-PCM from my PS3 via HDMI to the receiver - but before the blu-ray movie starts, there are a lot of transitions of various audio formats (trailers, etc).

Id say your unit is defective and if you can, exchange it. I believe Bud had the same issue and he exchanged it and it was gone. I have the vsx 52 and i dont hear a pop on the speaker when switching audio formats. On the other hand I do hear an amp click when I switch what type of speakers I am using ie switching from a dolby iix with rear surround to a dolby iiz with front height. Thou I have heard that on every Receiver Ive had in the past.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I just checked futureshop (where I bought it) and they don't have any more in stock - so my option to "exchange" it is now gone.
I am on hold with Pioneer on the phone and we'll see what they have to say.
I'd hate to return it for a refund (as it is now out of stock and no longer on sale) and I'd also hate to send a "brand new out of the box" unit to be repaired locally or remotely.
That would be crazy, but we'll see what comes of this.
I am glad to hear that it is (not) normal for these receivers to have that loud "pop" sound - too bad I got a bad one - I may be screwed trying to replace it now.
I am also curious to see what Pioneer says about the problem - when they finally get to me - 40 minutes on hold to go !
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Mine clicks / pops between sound modes too. August 2011 build (from Futureshop). Not sure whether to keep or not. It may be normal though. I noticed it did not do it when streaming video from my PS3 HD, but did do it from BluRay.

I also have an Onkyo 709 on order from BB...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post

Mine clicks / pops between sound modes too. August 2011 build (from Futureshop). Not sure whether to keep or not. It may be normal though. I noticed it did not do it when streaming video from my PS3 HD, but did do it from BluRay.

I also have an Onkyo 709 on order from BB...

I just wana double check, the click you hear as far as i know is a normal sound, kinda like the sound you hear when you first turn on the receiver. I believe the receiver makes that click noise when its switching from one speaker setting to another, like I said before switching from using surround back to front height.

The question is do you hear an audible pop from the actual speakers though?? I would say that's not normal and if thats the case I would try for an exchange.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManKent View Post

Thanks for the reply.
I just checked futureshop (where I bought it) and they don't have any more in stock - so my option to "exchange" it is now gone.
I am on hold with Pioneer on the phone and we'll see what they have to say.
I'd hate to return it for a refund (as it is now out of stock and no longer on sale) and I'd also hate to send a "brand new out of the box" unit to be repaired locally or remotely.
That would be crazy, but we'll see what comes of this.
I am glad to hear that it is (not) normal for these receivers to have that loud "pop" sound - too bad I got a bad one - I may be screwed trying to replace it now.
I am also curious to see what Pioneer says about the problem - when they finally get to me - 40 minutes on hold to go !

Im also curious to hear what Pioneer says, please let us know.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Pioneer said that it definitely should not send any audible "pop" to the speakers when changing between stereo-pcm-whatever.
He suggested doing a "reset" of the amp first, to see if that made it better.
Reset = put rcvr in standby mode, open front panel, hold down enter key and press on button - hold the enter key down until "reset" appears on front panel, then select ok.

I did the reset. It put all settings back to the factory settings.
I then tested various blu-rays (ps3fat-Lpcm-hdmi-to the amp).
The problem did not re-occur. I thought it was fixed - UNTIL I started configuring it.
I did manual speaker setup this time, instead of full auto mcacc.
After I was finished (speaker sizes, distance, etc) I tested my blu-rays.
Now, the "pop" did not happen in my surround right speaker - it happened in my subwoofer, and it varied from a loud "thump" to two quick ones - "thump-thump".

At this point I was convinced I had a lemon so I packed it up and brought it back to futureshop. Lucky for me, they actually had 3 in the back somewhere (not on the shelves) so I was able to exchange it - which I did.

Ok, so when I got the new one I tested it out before configuring anything.
Sure enough - no problem at all.
Now I decided to set up the speakers manually - and this time, at each step I tested my blu-rays.
Long story short, the problem did not re-occur until I changed my speaker sizes (SMALL for front/center/surround) and removed the presence of the "side speakers".
As soon as I changed my speaker config, the subwoofer thumping started up again on my blu-rays.

Just to see what would happen, I then changed my front/center/surround to be LARGE.
Guess what, the POP came back - but this time it was audible in the frontL,R, and center speakers !!

Either there's a bug in the firmware, or the batch that futureshop got to sell all had a defect, or perhaps there's an issue with the way the PS3 sends audio to a receiver.

All I know is that I returned this second one and although I loved this receiver, It was NOT worth all this grief.
I personally could not live with either the POPs through the surround speaker, nor the loud thumps through the sub every time the audio fluctuated between stereo/pcm/etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM

My new one from futureshop is the exact same... Thanks for the info.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Liked: 80
My new VSX-52 gets delivered today from Your Deal on Amazon. I won't lie, reading some of your posts here about popping really scares me, so I hope I don't get a problem box.

I can't help but think that some of these issues are set-up or user errors. AV receivers are quite complicated and not for the faint of heart. My old Onkyo was tricky, but it's like 7 yrs old. This networking stuff could get interesting.

Wish me luck. I will report back hopefully with good news!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I picked one up at Futureshop during the boxing day sale and am not getting any such pops. For it to happen on two units makes me think it has somthing to do with feed back in your setup itself more so then it being related to the receiver.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I picked one up at Futureshop during the boxing day sale and am not getting any such pops. For it to happen on two units makes me think it has somthing to do with feed back in your setup itself more so then it being related to the receiver.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi_Dan View Post

Well, nothing in my setup is different - changing from one amp to the new one.
My older model amp works fine.
The new one did not.
The new one ONLY worked if I left all settings at factory default - which would be silly to do, given that proper speaker sizes and distances need to be set up for it to sound well.
I did all I could to try and diagnose the issue.
The bottom line is that the amp worked fine until I tweaked the speaker size.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi_Dan View Post

Same here. I got the 1326. I ran the ful MCACC, which took about 15 minutes, and damn... it sounds so much better than the VSX-521-K it is replacing. Awesome unit.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Does the MCACC EQ the bass?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Ok I have not reset it exactly 52 times but at least 4. I bought this AV for my Wife for Christmas I set the machine up plugged in my direct TV DVR and my PS3 into it via HDMI. I ran the speaker configuration with the microphone
and have not heard one noise from my speakers except for when it ran the Auto MCaCC . I reset the Reciever without the Direct tv and PS3 I wanted to just play the tuner and I get no sound. Shouldnt I get radio noise in the AM Band and the FM Band straight out of the Box in Analog. It has to be something easy or this is a defective reciever. When I run the TV through the reciever I have to change that setting to THROUGH to play the TV speakers. I will send anybody a 50.00 gift card if they can solve my problem.

Thanks
Eric
Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 PM

All set up with just one weird problem, via HDMI I can switch between Directv and Xbox, but it doesn't pick up the PS3 or the other Blu Ray player. No sight or sound from either.

Any suggestions are appreciated. No popping or other issues other than that. Sounds great and AirPlay is awsome!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKHIDEOUT View Post

Ok I have not reset it exactly 52 times but at least 4. I bought this AV for my Wife for Christmas I set the machine up plugged in my direct TV DVR and my PS3 into it via HDMI. I ran the speaker configuration with the microphone
and have not heard one noise from my speakers except for when it ran the Auto MCaCC . I reset the Reciever without the Direct tv and PS3 I wanted to just play the tuner and I get no sound. Shouldnt I get radio noise in the AM Band and the FM Band straight out of the Box in Analog. It has to be something easy or this is a defective reciever. When I run the TV through the reciever I have to change that setting to THROUGH to play the TV speakers. I will send anybody a 50.00 gift card if they can solve my problem.

Thanks
Eric

I just set mine up. After the MCACC settings the volume was down, so I just turned it up from the iPad app and configured the surround mode I wanted. Sounds as loud and clear as I can stand. My Led Zeppelin never sounded so good. Game of Thrones was pretty good too.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:38 PM

I have a the same future shop receiver, purchased a few days ago. It pops as well. I will try messing around with the setting on the weekend.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

All set up with just one weird problem, via HDMI I can switch between Directv and Xbox, but it doesn't pick up the PS3 or the other Blu Ray player. No sight or sound from either.

Go to the input assignments for those inputs and make sure they are either auto or hdmi.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

I have a the same future shop receiver, purchased a few days ago. It pops as well. I will try messing around with the setting on the weekend.

My vsx-1326-k was an August 2011 build - what was yours ?
(check the sticker on the outside of the box).
I bought mine in Ottawa, but the sticker said it came from the Brampton depot.

I wonder if there was simply a bad batch from Pioneer.
Maybe when they rebranded the vsx-53 to be vsx-1326-K for Future Shop to sell they build was somehow different in some way...
The problem is that most people would write this off as normal, and not report it - hence Pioneer will never know they have something to look into - to fix for current/future builds.

For me, the pops did not happen if I left everything as factory default.

I sure wish mine had worked properly - I really liked it otherwise.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

Go to the input assignments for those inputs and make sure they are either auto or hdmi.

Toofart, thanks for the tip. Last night during set up I decided perhaps foolishly to rename HDMI inputs. I think I mixed them up. This morning I moved the PS3 to another input and as I cycled through it showed up as DVD? Like I said, I screwed it up.

Anyway, I found the PS3 and the audio is correct (took off the enhancements) and the picture is 1080p24Hz so I am happy. Can't find that other Blu Ray player yet, but that one doesn't matter anyway.

The control apps for both the iPad and iPhone are so convenient and fun to play with. If you haven't tried then, download them now! There is one for android too.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Mine is august 2011 also, but it works perfectly. Bought it in Gatineau, comes from Brampton depot as well. Did you try exchanging it with another one at FS?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Yes, the second one from Future Shop had the same issue - most unfortunately.
I was going to try to exchange it yet again but thought they'd get tired of seeing me bring back so many units in a span of 2 days and quite frankly I was frustrated with the whole thing so I gave up on unit #2.
You should not be able to "break" it by simply adjusting your speaker distances/sizes :-P
Old 12-30-2011, 03:34 PM

I have (after 16 years) replaced my VSX-D2S with a VSX-52. There has been more of a learning curve than I would have liked and will certainly say I wish I had used the iControlAV2 app sooner. That makes every adjustment simpler. And the airplay showed up as an available speaker immediately. I'll have lots to suggest but I have one really nagging problem that I can't find any way around. All my video devices are through HDMI to allow the use of the single HDMI out. No problem. The problem is when first turning on the display (Visio xvt553sv) I get a very distorted video signal from VSX52. I have tried different variations (video conversion on/off) and changed the power on sequence all with the same result. A few somewhat painful minutes later, the signal clears and once it does it's fine. Even tried changing to an absurdly priced high speed HDMI cable. Anyone got anything to offer?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Finallyupgraded,

I have a question for you.
Does it do this for ALL Sources?
Meaning Cable, Blu-Ray if you have it etc. or just some components.
If it is all Sources / Components then it could be the Pioneer Settings or Vizio Settings.

I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 53 connected to my Pio Kuro Plasma but I have a Pioneer VSX 1020 connected to my Vizio XVT323SV.
Without ever having a problem.

There is a setting in the VSX 52 for either Plasma or LCD, so make sure that you do not have Plasma set for your LCD HDTV or LCD set for your Plasma.
For my Cable Box I set the Box, my Pioneer receiver and HDTV ALL to 1080i, because Cable does not support 1080P yet.
So why set 1080P when it is clearly not there!
My HTPC with Blu-Ray Player / Recorder is 1080P, so my Pioneer receivers and HDTV is set to 1080P.
Vizio's usually play nice with Pioneer or at least mine does.
For Start-Up sequence, I set the Vizio to come on first and then the Pioneer.
Be careful because Cable boxes can be set to "Zoom" "Normal" or "Stretch" the video and this can cause some conflicts.

Also you do not have to spend a lot for a good HDMI "High Speed" cable.
Go here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

I have this cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

And this Cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
I especially like the "NET" Jacket which is like a Braided Nylon cable covering.

Both cables work Great!
The 25 footer connects my HTPC to my VSX 1020 and the 10 foot Net Cable connects my Elite VSX 53 to my Pioneer Kuro Plasma.
Christmas at my brothers had a lot of MonoPrice HDMI Cables being ordered, for new HDMI Laptops, Sony PS3, etc. It was a Techno Christmas!
I was busy!

Let me know.

Bud B
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Poppers,

I got an Elite VSX 52 and when I switched through the Surround Settings I would hear a Loud Pop in my Front L & R Speakers.
I did MCACC again hoping that it would go away but it did not.
I called Pioneer Tech Support and put my phone up to the speaker and let the Pioneer Support Rep hear the Pop.
He did not hesitate and just told me to swap it out with another unit.

I took it back to Best Buy and the guy hooked it up and could not hear anything but said that I could swap it out if I wanted.
I told him that I did and in fact I wanted to get an Elite VSX 53 and upgrade.
They quickly did the paperwork and I was on my way back home.
The new VSX 53 has worked Flawlessly (knock on Wood..I don't want to Jynx myself here.. LOL!) and I have been very Happy.

There is clearly a reason why some Pop and some don't, I do not know if this can be repaired with a Firmware Update, thinking that it is in the Software or if it is a Hardware Issue!

As Pioneer hears more and more about this Popping Issue, I am sure that they will address it!
Myself, I would keep returning them until I got a "No Popper" receiver!
Unfortunately when Elite's are purchased On-Line this can become a problem.
Hopefully you have a Good and Reputable Seller.

So far I think that the Popping Issue is in the minority of these receivers.
Still that is little conciliation for some.

Bud B
Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maanba View Post

I just set this up two quick issues - one my ipad doesn't find the receiver for airplay. I do have apple tv plugged in so I can airplay through that but how can I run it through receiver? two when I airplay through apple tv to receiver i cant get that to work in zone 2 (outside speakers) although zone 2 is working for other devices. Any thoughts on both would be greatly appreciated.

What iOS are you using on the iPad? All I did was fire up music on my iPad and the 52 showed up as another speaker output.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi Finallyupgraded,

I have a question for you.
Does it do this for ALL Sources?
Meaning Cable, Blu-Ray if you have it etc. or just some components.
If it is all Sources / Components then it could be the Pioneer Settings or Vizio Settings.

I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 53 connected to my Pio Kuro Plasma but I have a Pioneer VSX 1020 connected to my Vizio XVT323SV.
Without ever having a problem.

There is a setting in the VSX 52 for either Plasma or LCD, so make sure that you do not have Plasma set for your LCD HDTV or LCD set for your Plasma.
For my Cable Box I set the Box, my Pioneer receiver and HDTV ALL to 1080i, because Cable does not support 1080P yet.
So why set 1080P when it is clearly not there!
My HTPC with Blu-Ray Player / Recorder is 1080P, so my Pioneer receivers and HDTV is set to 1080P.
Vizio's usually play nice with Pioneer or at least mine does.
For Start-Up sequence, I set the Vizio to come on first and then the Pioneer.
Be careful because Cable boxes can be set to "Zoom" "Normal" or "Stretch" the video and this can cause some conflicts.

Both cables work Great!
The 25 footer connects my HTPC to my VSX 1020 and the 10 foot Net Cable connects my Elite VSX 53 to my Pioneer Kuro Plasma.
Christmas at my brothers had a lot of MonoPrice HDMI Cables being ordered, for new HDMI Laptops, Sony PS3, etc. It was a Techno Christmas!
I was busy!

Let me know.

Bud B

I did finally stumble upon the Plasma/LCD setting but it was only because I had read better results had been obtained with the video conversion turned off. When I was playing around this afternoon and turned video conversion on that option showed itself. I changed it but I haven't turned the system back on yet to see if it matters since the problem only shows up on launch. I'll let you know.