AVS Forum banner

The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread

254K views 2K replies 351 participants last post by  chrisdk23 
#1 ·
Since these are starting to show up, I wanted to start a thread for them.

I purchased my unit Sunday as a replacement for an Elite VSX-32.

So far, the unit's performance has been outstanding after running MDACC. The sound seems to be a little more "in your face" or aggressive than the VSX-32.

My one gripe, and the VSX-33 did the same thing, is that when you have the HDMI Control enabled, you cannot change HDMI input assignments.

So, if you do not have the HDMI Control enabled, you cannot use the return audio from the TV over HDMI. I like having the SAT/TV button on the remote control the cable box which comes in via an HDMI input -- but under HDMI Control, the SAT/TV input is hard set for Component. Grrr.

Anyone know of a solution for that?

Oh, and the AV Navigator software seems to be pretty lame, although I like the interactive manual.

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20764636

Hi CHASLS2,

This month and September there is supposed to be replacements out for the SC35 and 37.

This will cause prices to drop on the existing SC35 & 37.

You seem to have a problem with Best Buy but Pioneer Elites can be purchased on-line and then sent to any Best Buy, including the one that is a mile from you.

You would need to know that it is what you wanted because it would just be for pickup and take home.

You live by Tampa, Fl..Get out!

My Sister and other relatives live in Tampa, I am sure that there are plenty of Pioneer retailers available.

You also have access to Orlando!

My other Sister lives in Orlando, so I have made the "Bee Line Highway" run from Tampa to Orlando a lot!

It is a little more than me going from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami!

Florida is where I grew up since I was four so I know it very well!

You do not live in some out of the way Boondocks!

You have two huge Metropolises by you!

If you can't find a SC-35 or SC-37 where you live, then there is a BIG problem!

Mickey will help you! LOL!

I drove from Rochester to Buffalo for my Pioneer Kuro Plasma, about an hour and a half each way and it was well worth it!

My main home is Ft. Lauderdale and like Tampa, I know if I was home, I could find one today!

Rochester, NY on the other hand may be a little tougher.

Plus like I said there should be some Great deals to be had on the SC 35 and 37 as their replacements start to Ship.

You may actually want to see what the new Elites are spec'd for, you might want to hold out for their replacements!

Check here at AVS for a discussion on the new Elites that are coming...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333410

There is a Dealer Locator on the Pioneer website

Link Here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Where-To-Buy

If you need help with Zip Codes etc..let me know and I can throw out an email to my relatives in Tampa for some Pioneer help!

Some relatives and Friends are Police in Hillsborough County!

Before being transferred to Rochester my Monthly Corporate Sales Meetings were held in Tampa.

Talk about a 12 hour day with 8 hours on the Road, via the Fl Turnpike and I-95!

Yea, I know Tampa!

Good Luck in your Search..But You should be able to find what you want!

Your in a Hot & Happening part of the State..Central Florida.

Uncanny that you are in Tampa..Small World!

High of 88 here in Rochester, NY today.

Have a Great Day!

Bud B

I know where to get the Pioneer Elite 37 or SC35 in Tampa. I'm not paying 2k plus for a SC37 or $1500 for a SC35. I lived in Tampa all my life, but i am on the gulf now in Pasco county FL. Elite prices local are insane. I have a buyer coming for my 1120k this week so i need to move fast or i will have to use the speakers on my Kuro for a while.

#28 ·
bud,

thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, it is appreciated.

One question though. When I am playing MP3's through the playstation, now using EXT STEREO mode, I do get surround effects but no subwoofer.

Is there anything I can do to make the sub work for this?

#29 ·
Howdy,

Quote:
I know where to get the Pioneer Elite 37 or SC35 in Tampa. I'm not paying 2k plus for a SC37 or $1500 for a SC35. I lived in Tampa all my life, but i am on the gulf now in Pasco county FL. Elite prices local are insane. I have a buyer coming for my 1120k this week so i need to move fast or i will have to use the speakers on my Kuro for a while.

The Sound Bar on the Kuro is not bad and before I got my Elite VSX 52, I was doing just that for a bit.

Maybe you would be happier with the Elite VSX 52 at $900.00 or the VSX 1121 at $750.00, than the prices for the older SC35 and SC37.

They do have all of the updates that the SC35 and SC37 replacements will have.

If not and your heart is really set on the SC35 or SC37 you may have to wait a bit longer.

I read that one of the newer replacements for these was supposed to be out last month but like the VSX 1121 Pioneer is running behind.

If you can wait though once their replacement's hit, the SC 35 and SC37 price should really drop!

That being said, on the Elite Receiver page at Pioneer and the selections at the top..See Page..
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

At the Top of the View Models Page if you check off all of the boxes except Zone 2 it shows the SC 35, SC 37 and the VSX 53.

What interests me is that it is showing the VSX 53 as a "Class D" Amplifier and "Air Studios"!

Can that be?

If it is, I will return my E52 and get a E53,,My Pro Crown Power Amps are Class D / Switching Power Supply. They are the Bomb!

I have to call Pioneer and confirm that..I think that it is a mistake.

Later,

Bud B

#30 ·
Hi dhs135,

That seems odd to me because the OP Manual states that with "Ext. Stereo" ALL speakers should be ON.

Go to page 37 Section 5: "Listening to Your System"

Then check out: "Standard Surround Sound" some of those may work better for you than Ext. Stereo..

Like the:

Pro Logic IIx Music

Neo: 6 Music

In fact reading that whole section may help you discover what you like.

I have also read that some music may have Surround so you may find that too.

I am into Blu-Ray and DVD Concerts, almost as much as Movies.

A lot of those have Surround because of how it was recorded.

Best Buy has a pretty good selection of these mixed into where they sell CD's..the videos will be placed with the artist if they have any.

I am going to be calling Pioneer because I have some questions for them and I will try and remember to ask why the Sub does not show up with Ext. Stereo selected..

Good Luck in the meantime,

Bud B

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20768333

Howdy,

The Sound Bar on the Kuro is not bad and before I got my Elite VSX 52, I was doing just that for a bit.

Maybe you would be happier with the Elite VSX 52 at $900.00 or the VSX 1121 at $750.00, than the prices for the older SC35 and SC37.

They do have all of the updates that the SC35 and SC37 replacements will have.

If not and your heart is really set on the SC35 or SC37 you may have to wait a bit longer.

I read that one of the newer replacements for these was supposed to be out last month but like the VSX 1121 Pioneer is running behind.

If you can wait though once their replacement's hit, the SC 35 and SC37 price should really drop!

That being said, on the Elite Receiver page at Pioneer and the selections at the top..See Page..
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

At the Top of the View Models Page if you check off all of the boxes except Zone 2 it shows the SC 35, SC 37 and the VSX 53.

What interests me is that it is showing the VSX 53 as a "Class D" Amplifier and "Air Studios"!

Can that be?

If it is, I will return my E52 and get a E53,,My Pro Crown Power Amps are Class D / Switching Power Supply. They are the Bomb!

I have to call Pioneer and confirm that..I think that it is a mistake.

Later,

Bud B

I ordered a SC35 last nite.

#32 ·
I called Pioneer today and I was told that their is no plans at this time to take the Home Media Gallery Setup that is Direct Access with the D'Pad and allow it to work with the remote.

Secondly, on the Pioneer WebSite for the Elite's Compare Page, Link here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

If you checked off all of the boxes at the top: (Except 2 Zone Capable)

THX Certified

Air Studios Certified

Class D Amplification

PC Control

Detachable Power Cord

3 Zone Capable

The resulting receivers shown will be the SC37, SC35 and the VSX 53.

I confirmed with Pioneer that this is in Error and the VSX 53 should not be shown, because it does NOT have Class D Amplification or Air Studios Certification!

Just an FYI for anyone that sees this and wonders what is up like I did.

Pioneer also confirmed to me that the VSX1121 does not have any 12volt Triggers as is stated in the VSX 1121 Brochure!

Lastly dhs135 asked,
Quote:
Why the Sub does not come on when "EXT. Stereo" is Selected.

Pioneer's response to me today is that the Sub is not Setup correctly .

Check the Speaker Setup and try again..

Just a few FYI's,

Bud B.........

#33 ·
Hi CHASLS2,

So, you ordered a SC 35 today...

Where did you order it from?

I saw an SC37 at Best Buy Today for $1875.00.

You look into a VSX 52 and do not see very much..You look into a SC37 through the Top Fins and it is Jam Packed with Wiring and PC Boards.

The SC35 does not have the newer I-Pad connectivity or the Rhapsody, Pandora, etc.

But you can always connect a HTPC and get the Rhapsody, Pandora, etc via the Computer.

You should be very happy with the SC35!

BUT...

Have a Look..

Pioneer just added the replacements for the SC35 and the SC37!

They are the SC55 and SC57 respectively! No Price Yet....

Link Here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

SC55 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

SC57 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

SC55 & SC57 Operators Manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions060711.pdf

Enjoy,

Bud B

#34 ·
I just did a reset to factory defaults... now I have my sub back for all inputs, including FM band and don't even need to use EXT STEREO to get it.

I also now have PLIIx again and all is well. Didn't have to change any wiring or anything and it just works. I guess I messed up a setting somewhere when fiddling with it.

Now heres the thing: I run the MCACC again and it finds my speakers and all that, but the sub is gone again, also the PLIIx is not available as it is now just PLII. So apparently that is what did it but I don't know why or what it means.

So I have reset defaults again and will not do the MCACC again until I know what is going on. Should I even do it again? Can you shed some light on what is going on here?

Thanks again.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20770947

Hi CHASLS2,

So, you ordered a SC 35 today...

Where did you order it from?

I saw an SC37 at Best Buy Today for $1875.00.

You look into a VSX 52 and do not see very much..You look into a SC37 through the Top Fins and it is Jam Packed with Wiring and PC Boards.

The SC35 does not have the newer I-Pad connectivity or the Rhapsody, Pandora, etc.

But you can always connect a HTPC and get the Rhapsody, Pandora, etc via the Computer.

You should be very happy with the SC35!

BUT...

Have a Look..

Pioneer just added the replacements for the SC35 and the SC37!

They are the SC55 and SC57 respectively! No Price Yet....

Link Here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

SC55 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

SC57 Brochure: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

SC55 & SC57 Operators Manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions060711.pdf

Enjoy,

Bud B

I got it thru Amazon. Be a good 10 days or more before i get it i guess. Guy just came and bought my 1120k and UPA2 , so i will have to rough it for a few days.

I don't care about ipod and or Pandora or any of that stuff. Only thing that goes into the receiver is a Pioneer Elite DV59 AVI, Elite 05 FD, OPPO83 and my Klipsch RF7's RC7, RS7's, Sunfire True sub and the optical out from the Kuro. Nothing else goes into the AVR.

#37 ·
Howdy,

Setup Note:

I'd like to mention that when you are setting up the speakers on this unit, if you set the front speakers to something other than "small", you will disable the subwoofer when playing back stereo music. Set them to small to have all low frequency sound sent to your subwoofer.

Check this out in MCACC Data Management and your Speaker Size..

You also want to make sure that the Crossover is set to 80Hz, mine was set to 150Hz...Too High!

Bud B

#39 ·
Hi Rkwak,

I think that this is what you do..You can also read about this on Page 70 in the OP Manual, third column and about midway down to number 3)

Go to:

System Setup

a) Manual SP Setup

2) Speaker Settings

X. Over (left on Remote Dial to 50Hz)

Enter or just return and Back out via Return to MCACC Data Check to Speaker Setting, and then confirm that the X.Over setting should now show 50Hz or whatever you set it at.

Note that in the OP Manual and as an asterisk under this X.Over Section,

it states..

"With Full Auto MCACC or Auto MCACC (All or Speaker Setting) The setting here will not apply and the Crossover Frequency will be Automatically Set."

By that I am understanding that you are good to go but should you run either of the MCACC Setup's and you chose "ALL" or "Speaker Setting" then the Crossover point would automatically be selected and this will be over-written.

If anyone understands this to indicate anything differently, please jump in....

Later,

Bud B

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20773470

Hi Rkwak,

I think that this is what you do..You can also read about this on Page 70 in the OP Manual, third column and about midway down to number 3)

Go to:

System Setup

a) Manual SP Setup

2) Speaker Settings

X. Over (left on Remote Dial to 50Hz)

Enter or just return and Back out via Return to MCACC Data Check to Speaker Setting, and then confirm that the X.Over setting should now show 50Hz or whatever you set it at.

Note that in the OP Manual and as an asterisk under this X.Over Section,

it states..

"With Full Auto MCACC or Auto MCACC (All or Speaker Setting) The setting here will not apply and the Crossover Frequency will be Automatically Set."

By that I am understanding that you are good to go but should you run either of the MCACC Setup's and you chose "ALL" or "Speaker Setting" then the Crossover point would automatically be selected and this will be over-written.

If anyone understands this to indicate anything differently, please jump in....

Later,

Bud B

I would suggest spending time reviewing the "Pioneer Official MCACC Thread"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112470

First page has a number of helpful links and posting questions there is more likely to bring responses from those more experienced. Some advice - to really dial in your speakers you need to invest in a sound meter - Radio Shack - inexpensive and handy regardless of what room correction system you use know or later. The first page of the SC05/SC07 thread has great information about dialing in your sub. One of the best threads on the Forum.

#41 ·
Just my .02 cents, i'd suggest playing with your Pioneer more and seeing what options does what. Just a month ago, I had my first AVR unit from the VSX-521 and went up to the VSX-52. All I can say was, WOW! A lot of options that I wasn't familiar with and didn't know what to do. So just check out the setup options and tweak it a bit and see what it does. Hands on training I'd say.

BUD B: I got an e-mail reply back regaring the plug not fitting just right on the VSX-52. Here's their response:

"It sounds that the Receiver is defective, you will need to take the unit in to a Pioneer Authorized Service Provider to have this fixed or take the unit back to the store is your store has an exchange policy and have it replaced for another. "

#42 ·
Hi Wild_Fyer,

WOW! Incredible!

Unless all of the IEC Receptacles that they Installed into their receivers are bad.

Myself I think that it is the IEC Cord that they are supplying with their receivers.

You can look at the end of the cord and the holes look round to go on Blade connectors.

Talk about throwing out the Baby with the Bath water!

Just supply some better Power cords!

I'll send them some Pics... Crazy!

Thanks for the FYI on the response.

Bud B

#44 ·
If the IEC cord is not fitting right and it bugs you. Here's the subject header and you can reference it if you call or e-mail Pioneer customer service.

Hook up and Operation|A00001|6233370135 [#1364534]

Sups Bud B. Update on my TV. Got a 55" Samsung LED but returned it because it turns out the distance from the TV to the viewing distance is too close for a 55". So I dropped down to a 46" instead, I was getting motion sickness from playing some FPS games on the 55".

#45 ·
Thanks Bud B and smurraybhm. Mea culpa, however, I didn't actually ask what I meant to ask, which is that I'd like the x-over to be lower than 80, but not 50 which seems to be the next pre-set option, and I'm wondering if there's a way to manually enter the x-over point as opposed to selecting from one of the presets (too much spread between them IMO).

smurraybhm - will definitely give the MCACC thread a read.

#46 ·
Hi all,

Well, I have been thinking and thinking about the Elite VSX 53 and with the arrival of the new SC55 and SC57,

along with the fact that I could never rationalize spending an extra $800.00 to buy a SC55, I thought that hey, I could at least get to the top of the Elite VSX line..LOL!

Ya know rationalization is a B-tch!

I think that ever since I got the E52 I have been trying to rationalize going to the Elite VSX 53 and spending the extra $200.00

I'd rationalize that Hey, I have a BB 36 month's same as cash no Interest plan and the E53 is just an extra five dollars a month!

Full Bandwidth, 2nd HDMI (I can use that someday right!) Etc... Etc.. it even cracks me up LOL!

So not knowing it last night when I went to bed, but when I awoke this morning the above hit me (I think that I was on the Crapper, those are times of deep thought! LOL!)

I said to myself, I'm going to get the Elite VSX 53 today!

I boxed up my E52, put it in my car and then after work I went to the only Best Buy in my area (showed On-Line) that had an Elite VSX 53, they did and I exchange my E52 for a new E53..

Driving away thinking, "Ahhh the Joy of it All!

I just finished setting it up and doing the MCACC.

The E53 has an extra step in the MCACC Process and that is the: Full Band Phase Control / Group Delay

It's Kinda neat, little chirps come out of the speakers.

I also set my Mic in a different place this time, my main chair is a recliner so I pulled it out and with a tripod I placed the Mic exactly where my head would normally be.

Pressed start on the MCACC and left the room.

It set the Crossover to 150Hz so I set it to 80Hz

I also noticed (with the E52) that when I turned on my HTPC and I had HDMI Control ON, my picture would shake around on my Kuro..

I Turned HDMI Control OFF and my Computer screen on my Kuro was OK..

But with the E53 I was almost going to shut off HDMI Control before turning on my HTPC and then I just thought, what the heck, I'll just leave it ON and see what happens,

well, my Computer came up without any picture problems.

So that was weird!

I have not used the second HDMI Out yet.

So, anyway, I thought that I'd share...

Later,

Bud B

#47 ·
Hey, new member here!

I'm just starting out (just bought a new house!) and getting into high-end A/V...

I've gone through the threads on the VSX-52, and it seems like a good receiver. I'm either considering the Onkyo TX-NR809 or the VSX-52, however I can't find that much info on the DACs for the 52; does anyone know what the DAC is for the Pioneer?

I know the Onkyo 809 has Burr-Browns, so how do you think the audio quality of the 809 would stack up to the VSX-52?

#48 ·
Hi jrbr85,

Quote:
I know the Onkyo 809 has Burr-Browns, so how do you think the audio quality of the 809 would stack up to the VSX-52?

I went to the Pioneer website and I saw press releases stating that Pioneer has done extensive R&D with Burr Browns for their Blu-Ray players as well as other products, but I did not see anything that stated specifically that Pioneer paired with Burr Browns for the Elite's.

I would not really have it as a concern (Pioneer produces Quality and would not throw any low quality DAC's into their receivers) but if it was that important to you,

a quick call to Pioneer would set you at ease. Their number is: 1-800-746-6337 (Their in Pacific Time Zone)

I called them twice in the last two days and I got right through to them.

Their prompts will direct you to their website but there is also a prompt if you cannot reach the web and a rep will chat with you.

On paper the Onkyo looks on Par with the Elites less a number of features.

One of those Features is the "Home Media Gallery" you can look in the OP Manual to see what that is all about.

Another few missing Feature's is "Air Play" and "Air Jam" as well as No I-Pad support.

I also did not see support for Android's which is a big thing these days.

Your best bet is to download the OP Manual for each product that you are interested in and just do a quick walk through as to it's Connections and Features.

This way you can compare them Apples to Apples or in this case Apples to Oranges because of the vast differences between them.

Then you need to evaluate for YOURSELF the importance or not of what each has to offer or not offer.

If you search backwards through this post you will find the Brochures for the Elite VSX 52 and 53 as well as a link for the OP Manual.

Also go to the Onkyo 809 thread here at AVS, I am sure that there is one and see what they have to say...has there been any issues so far with the 809.

Onkyo has not been perfect with their excessive heating issues and some are a bit skiddish on Onkyo.

I will say that the Pioneers run very cool to warm which is good when placed into and on a shelf in a entertainment center or component stand.

The Elite VSX 53 has two HDMI Outs (like the 809 has) and is priced the same as the Onkyo 809 on paper but unlike the Pioneer Elites which Cannot be purchased online,

the 809 can be found on-line and for roughly the price of a VSX 1121.

Sound-Wise...

I have seen post after post from people that have listened to many different receivers from many different manufacturers that have always commented on the sound quality of the Pioneers.

In a good and positive way.

I think that Sound quality is in the EAR of the beholder! LOL!

There are very discerning Ears and there are some that will do with a $200.00 receiver of whatever good deal can be found!

My parents do not even understand connecting their TV to a Receiver and will gladly sit and watch a 27" CRT from the TV's speakers! LOL!

So the gambit runs from there up to where we are here.

I would like to say unequivocally that you would not be disappointed, but then again..I do not have your ears!

Best Buy "Magnolia Home Theater" stores have both the Elite's and the Onkyo's with a myriad of Speaker choices in listening rooms...Get your Ears over there and give them a listen!

That's my best advice!

Good Luck on your Quest!

Bud B

#49 ·
BUD B: Hey, your starting on the road like I did "Return & Exchange". Keep moving up for a better avr. Maybe the SC-55 will be your next upgrade.

You know, pioneer should provide the sound difference for each model. I mean, each model keeps going up in power and video enhancements but need like graph on what sound its producing. But I guess there more to it since there are a lot of moving parts such as speakers and subs, drivers, tweeters, etc...

#50 ·
Hi Wild_Fyer,

No, no one can even come close to you! You ARE the King of Returns and Swap's! LOL!

The Elite VSX 53 is it for me!

A $200.00 jump is a big difference between a $800.00 jump.

I mean, I am sure that the Elite SC55 is a nice receiver but will I really notice an $800.00 or at this point with the Elite 53 a $600.00 difference!?

It would have to practically make me Cream my Jeans for that! LOL!

I like the E53 and feel very comfortable that it will Successfully and Very Enjoyably move me forward and down the road in Surround Bliss for a few more years to come!

Not to mention that I am a Condo / Apartment dweller and cannot really take advantage of the extra Power of the SC's.

Now if in these troubled times I was to get a nice Raise (Yea Right) that would change everything!

Shoot I have $1,300.00 wrapped up in the Elite VSX 53, already much more than I was going to spend! LOL!

But it looks Really Nice and Sounds Great!

I AM Definitely a Happy Camper!

Enjoy and Have a Great Weekend!

Bud B

#51 ·
Congrats on your E53 pick up. LOL on the "RETURN & EXCHANGE" King.. The E52 was probably my last upgrarde. I never thought I'd be spending nearly a $1,000 on the receiver, the real plan was spending under $500.00. You know what, I also returned the Martin Logan Motion 10s'. I think I will be getting the Definitive Tech BP8020 instead. What you think Bud B?

Does the power cord actually fit this time on the E53? Let me know if you notice any sound difference between the E52 and E53. Don't you have a 1020k aswell?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.