The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys-

I just connected 2 more speakers for surround back to try out 7.1. I re-ran MCACC, and the receiver is seeing them, and appears to have calibrated them just fine. When playing various clips from movies, Im hearing surround out of them. So far m liking the sublte addition to the rear surround field...really expands it! My only question though...Ive only got 5.1 lit up on the receiver...in other words, the surround back speakers arent lit up, even though sound is coming from them. Im running surround mode in auto. Is it because the receiver is only displying the source content (5.1) and DSP is doing the rest sending sound to the surround backs? Would I need actual 7.1 content to light up surround backs on the receiver? Or do I need to use a different surround mode other than auto?

Ive got a VSX-52. If it matters, the rest of speakers are Polk RTi10's in front, Polk FXi A6's in dipole mode for sides, JBL book shelfs for surround rear, and Hsu VTF 2 Mk 3 for sub. This is my first time playing with 7.1, and the manual didnt really provide what I was looking for (unless I missed it lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGraney View Post

Hey Mac users:

Anybody else wondering if, with the newly announced OSX Mountain Lion and it's built-in AirPlay function, if we'll be able to stream more than just our iTunes to the Pioneer? (we'll be able to stream to the AppleTV, but I wonder if the receivers will allow full-screen emulation, as well.)

i would not hold my breath...

maybe someday on a future avr? sure.

on this particular avr? no.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #723 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@blackangst...

yup, you understand what you are seeing/hearing correctly... it displays what is input, not output...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #724 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@blackangst...

yup, you understand what you are seeing/hearing correctly... it displays what is input, not output...

Cool thanks. So just use auto surround and the receiver do the rest

BTW Im looking through the manual about THX modes, page 38. The instructions say hit receiver button then THX button...for the life of me I cant find the THX button on my remote lol...if I do find it, is there an advantage? Or am I back at my first impression...use auto surround?

edit: nevermind just found it after I posted lol

edit 2: Im watching a 5.1 source, and it seems I should be using THX surr EX mode? And the Neo and and ProLogic modes are for 2 channel sources? Do I have that right?
post #725 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 10
I read a review for this receiver and I want to know if anyone else agrees with what was said here:

"I also like that the unit upconverts the CATV 720p to 1080p for viewing - it makes for a nicer picture (but it actually seems to degrade the picture when it automatically upcoverts the normal stations' 480p to 1080p)"

Does anyone else agree that non HD stations look worse when played through this unit? How about DVD's?

Thanks
post #726 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbecc1 View Post

I read a review for this receiver and I want to know if anyone else agrees with what was said here:

"I also like that the unit upconverts the CATV 720p to 1080p for viewing - it makes for a nicer picture (but it actually seems to degrade the picture when it automatically upcoverts the normal stations' 480p to 1080p)"

Does anyone else agree that non HD stations look worse when played through this unit? How about DVD's?

Thanks

I disagree.
post #727 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

i disagree.

+1
post #728 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbecc1 View Post

Hell no. I spent a fair amount of time testing which scaler/converter to use for DVDs (my BD player, the AVR or the TV) and the Marvell came out best (according to my tastes). Same with SD recordings and shows.
post #729 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Guys, what are people using on these units to get internet? I know pioneer makes a wireless lan type of gadget to plug into this receiver but if I remember right, it didn't seem to get very good ratings on Amazon and the thing was pretty expensive. Are there alternatives out there that work well? Even if I could be sure the pioneer brand joint worked WELL I could think about grabbing that one despite the expensive price tag. I mainly want wireless so I can use the airplay feature. I have the VSX-50. Thanks for any input!
post #730 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM

I use an ethernet cable. Works great!
post #731 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

i use an ethernet cable. Works great!

+1
post #732 of 1569 Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I wish that an ethernet cable was an option for me but I have my modem and router on the second level. Anyone else use anything different?
post #733 of 1569 Old 02-17-2012, 05:29 AM
KVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Thanks, I wish that an ethernet cable was an option for me but I have my modem and router on the second level. Anyone else use anything different?

If you don't have a wire available your options are wireless, ethernet over power line, ethernet over coax or run a wire.
post #734 of 1569 Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVH View Post

If you don't have a wire available your options are wireless, ethernet over power line, ethernet over coax or run a wire.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check those out
post #735 of 1569 Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

What I did was buy an N capable router, flash DD-WRT firmware to use it as a bridge, and connect to my main router upstairs via wifi. Works great. Receiver has internet for updates and internet radio and my HTPC has internet and connectivity to my main PC upstairs.
post #736 of 1569 Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I did was buy an N capable router, flash DD-WRT firmware to use it as a bridge, and connect to my main router upstairs via wifi. Works great. Receiver has internet for updates and internet radio and my HTPC has internet and connectivity to my main PC upstairs.

PM sent
post #737 of 1569 Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 AM

Hi guys;

Setting up my new VSX52 and have an issue. I have a separate amp and speakers setup in another room. I hooked up the amp to the zone 2 connections as shown in the manual. The issue is that when I select Multizone, I hear the source I select in the other room just fine, but I cannot control the volume....

Any ideas? I have gone through the manual.... I am not using Multizone through the speaker terminals, only through the zone 2 connections.

Any help is appreciated....

Eric

P.S. this setup worked fine on a previous Onkyo receiver....
post #738 of 1569 Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

are you pushing the "zone 2" key on the remote to tell it to send zone 2 commands? see page 54 of your manual...

- chris

post #739 of 1569 Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 PM

Has anyone used a DVDO Edge video processor with the VSX-53 and had any issues with output of audio or video from either HDMI monitor out port?
post #740 of 1569 Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM

I have seen a few posts regarding HDMI passthrough. Has this been figured out?

If I connect my sat box to HDMI1 and turn off/stand-by the receiver, how can I configure the receiver so that I can still see video and hear audio on my tv?
post #741 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwa View Post

I have seen a few posts regarding HDMI passthrough. Has this been figured out?

If I connect my sat box to HDMI1 and turn off/stand-by the receiver, how can I configure the receiver so that I can still see video and hear audio on my tv?

Yes it has been figured out. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
post #742 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

are you pushing the "zone 2" key on the remote to tell it to send zone 2 commands? see page 54 of your manual...

Yes I am pushing zone 2 button on remote, and also using the buttons on front face of receiver... In both cases I can control inputs for zone 2, etc, but cannot control volume.

Can anyone confirm that volume can indeed be controlled on Zone 2 when using the ZONE 2 connections on the back of the receiver (as opposed to the speaker terminals)?

Eric
post #743 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM

Hi Guys;

Is anyone using Sirius Internet radio in Canada?

I have a sirius account and can access it from the internet via PC, but since I am canadian my account resides at Sirius.ca (not sirius.com). In the case of the Pioneer receiver I beleive it checks the sirius.com for your login credentials and there does not seem to be any way to change the URL so it fails to connect.

Has anybody had this issue and if so how did you solve it?

Thanks;
Eric
Ottawa, Canada
post #744 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Yes it has been figured out. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

So what do I need to enable in the receiver? Does HDMI control need to be enabled with normal power?
post #745 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:

So what do I need to enable in the receiver? Does HDMI control need to be enabled with normal power?

The discussion and setup of HDMI control can be found on page 47 of your owners manual.

You want HDMI control to be OFF to use pass through.
post #746 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:

The discussion and setup of HDMI control can be found on page 47 of your owners manual.

You want HDMI control to be OFF to use pass through.

Sorry, but I am bit confused since on page 47 it says that when Control is ON the signals of the input device or TV connected to the receiver can be transferred even when the receiver's power is in the standby mode.
post #747 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 03:29 PM

Hi Guys;

In case someone searches on this Pioneer wireless adapter thought I would pass along my comments...

After spending the better part of 2 days trying to get these Pioneer adapters to work with my new BDP53 and VSX-52 I gave up in total frustration. Instead I went to the local Best Buy and bought two Netgear WNCE3001 adapters (half the price of the Pioneers and can use a USB power source just like the Pioneer unit).

Within 15 minutes and only a few clicks to setup, I had both the BD player and the receiver working on the internet wirelessly and flawlessly... THe Netgear unit also pulls in signals very strongly.

Moral of the story, dont assume the Pioneer units are good... and take notice of the warnings of others that have come to the same conclusion (I should have...).

The AS-WL300 is finicky, hard to setup, and if you CAN get it to connect is very inconsistent in working (one of my units worked for the blue ray for about 5 minutes and that was it... never again).

Cheers;
Eric

P.S. There are oher solutions too, but the Netgear worked very well for me...
post #748 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Has anyone confirmed that Airplay works on Zone3. I don't have a second amp to try this on. From what I understand, for Airplay, the input is switched to HMG, but the manual doesn't list HMG as one of the inputs available for Zone3.
post #749 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but I am bit confused since on page 47 it says that when Control is ON the signals of the input device or TV connected to the receiver can be transferred even when the receiver's power is in the standby mode.

ack I had it backwards. Follow the manual...try it
post #750 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM

After much research and reading all of the posts I bit the bullet and picked up the VSX53 (for me) and a VSX51 (for my son) yesterday. I was able to convince the sales associate at Best Buy of the importance of giving me their best price, I was extreemly delighted to leave the store with both of them on the same day. I won't be able to play with it unitl later in the week so I am like a kid on Christmas Eve....or maybe a few days earlier..

Yaayyy!!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page