The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats RABBITFISH... I think you will like your VSX-53... I am very happy with my similar 52....

Cheers;
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1569 Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

ack I had it backwards. Follow the manual...try it

Well I did and could not get it to work so that is why I was asking if there was something else I needed to do to get it working.
post #753 of 1569 Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwa View Post

Well I did and could not get it to work so that is why I was asking if there was something else I needed to do to get it working.

Then probably not. Pass through on these is flaky at best, and your best chances of pass through working are by connecting similar Pio products. If it doesnt work, it doesnt work. You may need another solution.

Sorry man.
post #754 of 1569 Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM

To test Zone3, I was wondering if I can do the following since I don't have another amp to test on: connect the Zone3 output directly to say the CD input and set Zone1 to the CD input and then set Zone3 to any of the supported inputs. This way I would be listening to Zone3 output on my Zone1 speakers.

I would think this would work but wanted to check with the experts first to make sure I wouldn't harm the receiver in any way by doing this.

I want to test if I can use Airplay and HMG on Zone3, otherwise Zone3 is if no use to me so I might just downgrade to the VSX-52 or even the VSX-1121.
post #755 of 1569 Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM

I bought the 53 mainly for the dual HDMI outputs. I have a plasma wall mounted with a projector that will overlay the tv with an electric screen. I am hopeful that this will allow me to select what device I want to watch, either tv or projector, without having to use two different sources, thus allowing me to use one blue ray, one computer, etc..

After reading all through the posts I didn't notice if anyone else uses it like this?
Anyone have any input for this?
post #756 of 1569 Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 PM

How do you select Airplay to play in Zone2? On my iPhone, I just see one set of speakers so how do you tell it to play in Zone2 instead of Zone1?
post #757 of 1569 Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post

I bought the 53 mainly for the dual HDMI outputs. I have a plasma wall mounted with a projector that will overlay the tv with an electric screen. I am hopeful that this will allow me to select what device I want to watch, either tv or projector, without having to use two different sources, thus allowing me to use one blue ray, one computer, etc..

After reading all through the posts I didn't notice if anyone else uses it like this?
Anyone have any input for this?

it will send the "same" source to the two outputs (and will handshake at the lowest common denominator)...

it will not output different sources at the same time (i.e. computer to one, bluray to the other)... nothing will, fwiw... you'd need a matrix switch to do that...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #758 of 1569 Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, for those of you that use the Airplay feature, have you found that the quality of the sound is less that desirable? I stream my music from my iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised since I'm streaming the music wirelessly and the music files are mp3, but my question is, is there a way to improve the quality of sound either through the receiver or on iTunes itself? Thanks for your help!
post #759 of 1569 Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM

I'm not an audiophile, but/so I'm happy with the sound quality through AirPlay on my VSX-52.

Note, however, that AirPlay itself does not degrade quality (it's a lossless, 44.1kHz, two-channel transmission), so the quality will depend on compression of the source material you're sending via AirPlay.

However, I'm even happy with the sound produced from 128kbps source material, thanks to the receiver's Auto Sound Retriever feature (which claims to restore "lossily" compressed audio to a more natural sound) and - my personal preference - the Advanced Surround / Extended Stereo sound setting, which does a great job of turning two-channel audio into surround sound.
post #760 of 1569 Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwa View Post

How do you select Airplay to play in Zone2? On my iPhone, I just see one set of speakers so how do you tell it to play in Zone2 instead of Zone1?

I don't have Zone 2 set up myself, but I found this in an amazon.com user review:
"
If I want AirPlay in zone 2, but not in zone 1 I have to:
Initiate Airplay from a PC [I presume: or from any other AirPlay source, such as an iPhone, ...]
This puts Zone 1 into HMG mode with music playing.
Start Zone 2 and shift it to HMG.
"

Seems very awkward, but it appears that that's the only way. The VSX-52 manual doesn't even mention the topic.
If you get the free iAvControl2 iOS app, though, you'll be able to do it all from your iPhone.
post #761 of 1569 Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM

As a follow up to my earlier question about volume control on Zone 2 when using using a separate amplifier.

Based on my research, apparently Pioneer does not allow any volume control on the Zone 2 outputs to a separate amplifier (its jsut a signal out). Seems crazy that such a basic feature is not available, and in my opinion makes this useless as a true zone two setup as you would need to go out to an amp with volume control and not a simple power amp.

My fifteen year old Onkyo receiver could do this...

Only way to do zone two with volume controlled by the VSX-52 is to give up your 7.1 outputs and wire the zone 2 speakers though the speaker terminals on the VSX-52 and forgo using a separate amp....

Sheesh!

Eric
post #762 of 1569 Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklement View Post

However, I'm even happy with the sound produced from 128kbps source material, thanks to the receiver's Auto Sound Retriever feature (which claims to restore "lossily" compressed audio to a more natural sound) and - my personal preference - the Advanced Surround / Extended Stereo sound setting, which does a great job of turning two-channel audio into surround sound.

I have to agree on both counts. I've tried the Sound retriever, and I leave it "on" when I'm listening to compressed music (mp3s) or Internet radio streams. It works great.

I've also found that disabling Phase Control makes my music sound better (to me).
post #763 of 1569 Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM

I probably phrased my question wrong, I am using two blu rays, one for the tv and one for the projector, my current reciever is only used to process sound, doesn't have the HDMI connections. So mainly what I want to do is hook all the sources to the receiver, then decide what display to watch, either tv, or projector.....
post #764 of 1569 Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 AM

I'm assuming the auto sound retriever isn't available on the vsx-52? I went into the audio parameter according to the manual and didn't see that option...
post #765 of 1569 Old 02-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming the auto sound retriever isn't available on the vsx-52? I went into the audio parameter according to the manual and didn't see that option...

Nevermind I found it. Only available in the menu when in HMG mode. That leads me to another question...is auto sound retriever not active at other times? That might be a question for Pioneer.
post #766 of 1569 Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:

That leads me to another question...is auto sound retriever not active at other times? That might be a question for Pioneer.

The manual says, "With the iPod/USB, HOME MEDIA GALLERY [HMG] or ADAPTER PORT input function, by default S.RTRV [Auto Sound Retriever] is set to ON."

While it's not directly implied, I'd venture a guess that the feature is also only *available* for those inputs, but you can easily try by switching to each input and examining whether the command shows up in the audio menu or not.
post #767 of 1569 Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post

I am using two blu rays, one for the tv and one for the projector, my current receiver is only used to process sound, doesn't have the HDMI connections. So mainly what I want to do is hook all the sources to the receiver, then decide what display to watch, either tv, or projector.....

If you're looking for a way to control which of the two HDMI OUT terminals sends out the video signal (VSX-53 only):
"Press [RECEIVER] to enter the receiver operation mode, then press HDMI OUT." (quoted from the manual)

This will cycle through
- HDMI OUT 1 only
- HDMI OUT 2 only
- *both* HDMI OUTs simultaneously

(There is a caveat about losing synchronized operation with an attached TV when using the so-called Control with HDMI function - which I suspect few people use - when you switch.)

Of course, if you want to spare yourself having to switch every time, simply leave the setting at outputting to BOTH terminals, and simply turn on either your projector or TV, as needed (don't know what power-consumption implications that has, though).
post #768 of 1569 Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i WISH people wouldn't use hdmi control, but many do (if they can get it to work)...

something to keep in mind... the source will complete the handshake dependent on the "lowest common denominator" of the sinks...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #769 of 1569 Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM

My 2¢ - I tried to use HDMI control and it gave me nothing but problems. In addition to never getting it to actually work as prescribed, I was constantly having to re-run my Harmony remote to go the proper input.
post #770 of 1569 Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

i WISH people wouldn't use hdmi control, but many do (if they can get it to work)...

something to keep in mind... the source will complete the handshake dependent on the "lowest common denominator" of the sinks...

Believe or not my HTPC shows multi-color snow on my TV with control turned off. It took amny hours of troubleshooting to figure it out...I turned off control right when I got the receiver, and couldnt figure out why my HTPC wouldnt sync correctly. I managed to get a workaround in the Intel graphics properties...until the TV was powered off then back on.

Turned HDMI control back on (PLQS setting) and BAM. Works like a charm. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGraney View Post

My 2¢ - I tried to use HDMI control and it gave me nothing but problems. In addition to never getting it to actually work as prescribed, I was constantly having to re-run my Harmony remote to go the proper input.

I have to do this occasionally but Im not sure it has to do with control. Turn on Watch TV which should be on HDMI2, but after power cycle on its still on last setting HDMI1. My only issue with control, or what I believe is control, is even though Ive got the receiver to be powered on last on my Harmony, the turn on sequence is too fast and HDMI never syncs...so I hit the action again to re-sync HDMI. Minor inconvenience IMHO. As I mentioned above, I cant get my HTPC to display with control off (which makes absolutely zero sense to me).
post #771 of 1569 Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nah, i'd pretty much believe anything when a htpc is in the chain...

- chris

post #772 of 1569 Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGraney View Post

I turned off the HDMI control after it started taking control from my Harmony remote. Since then I haven't had a single problem....
post #773 of 1569 Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
Just got my vsx-52 a couple of days ago!! I took back a Harman Kardon AVR 2650 due to consistant audio drop outs and bad video artifacts.

So far the 52 has kicked it's a$$! I'm loving the ipad app too.

I have one question though. How can the Auto Level Control be used to keep commercials volume in check while still using other surround modes?

With the H/K the volume leveling feature was layered into whatever sound mode you wanted. With the 52 it seems like you have to pick the ALC and nothing else is available......
post #774 of 1569 Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am interested in getting one of Pio receivers I like the VSX-53, but I believe that this does not have a phono jack that I could connect a record player to in the future (My dad has tons of old lps). If so, is there an simple/inexpensive add on that I can purchase.

The set up would be to have the receiver in the Basement along with all the other toys in a max 5.1 setup, and then run cables and speakers to the living room and set up a small music station with with a record player/cd etc all running via the receiver. I am assuming this is possible with a multizone receiver. Aside from having to go up and down the stairs when I want to play some music upstairs to turn on the system or adjust volume (BTW does the IcontrolAV app take care of this) what other shorting comings might I run into.

Would this receiver be powerful enough for me to play music upstairs while running a 5.1 tv session down stairs. BTW speaker wires are they anything like HDMI that if you are going to be running a really long distance that is when you need a more expensive kind.

Thanks for the feedback
post #775 of 1569 Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 AM

I have a few questions about the ipad ap and wireless connections. Why does the vsx-53 need to be connected to the internet for the ipad ap to work? I need to hook it up via an ethernet cable back to my router? If I get the AS-WL300 will I be able to connect to the router wirelessly?

Thank you in advance for your help
post #776 of 1569 Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

it needs to be connected to your network, not necessarily the internet...

- chris

post #777 of 1569 Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbecc1 View Post

I have a few questions about the ipad ap and wireless connections. Why does the vsx-53 need to be connected to the internet for the ipad ap to work? I need to hook it up via an ethernet cable back to my router? If I get the AS-WL300 will I be able to connect to the router wirelessly?

Thank you in advance for your help

As ccotenj said , if you only want to use the iPad App and AirPlay you can do it with almost any wireless router set up as a standalone wireless LAN.
post #778 of 1569 Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Any one have an answer or has experienced this?
All of a sudden last night I got no picture on my LG 55in. I run via FIOS a Motorola multiroom DVR hd into my HDMI1 slot on my Pioneer vsx-52, then into my tv's HDMI1. after an hour with a fios tech I got picture and sound on the tv but had to bypass the vsx52. after playing and switching HDMI cables I was able to get tv sound on HDMI1 but no picture. Now the strange part, more tinkering and I get picture on HDMI3 but no sound. I've had the Pioneer under one month. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Scott
post #779 of 1569 Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rczarne View Post

As ccotenj said , if you only want to use the iPad App and AirPlay you can do it with almost any wireless router set up as a standalone wireless LAN.

So I need to get the AS-WL300 to connect to the router wirelessly?
post #780 of 1569 Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM

I have a web-enable TV and tried to play a NetFlix movie through the tv which i have connected to a VSX-53 using the HDMI OUT 1. I couldnt hear the audio from the TV "source" through my receiver...only from the speakers on the TV itself. I tried different inputs on the receiver control, but nothing seemed to work for me. So i could see the video playing but lost the use of my receiver and home audio for the sound. Doesn't Audio Return Channel bring this audio back into the receiver from the TV?

Probably a dumb question with an easy answer (i hope) but i couldn't figure it out. I appreciate any help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page