Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklement View Post

If you're looking for a way to control which of the two HDMI OUT terminals sends out the video signal (VSX-53 only):
"Press [RECEIVER] to enter the receiver operation mode, then press HDMI OUT." (quoted from the manual)

This will cycle through
- HDMI OUT 1 only
- HDMI OUT 2 only
- *both* HDMI OUTs simultaneously

(There is a caveat about losing synchronized operation with an attached TV when using the so-called Control with HDMI function - which I suspect few people use - when you switch.)

Of course, if you want to spare yourself having to switch every time, simply leave the setting at outputting to BOTH terminals, and simply turn on either your projector or TV, as needed (don't know what power-consumption implications that has, though).

I thank you for this post mklement! After reading your post i checked and this somehow was turned back to only having out#1 only turned on!
I don't know how that got changed as I turned it on to ALL OUT when I tried using both outputs?

But even then I still had problems when I added new equipment, but your post made me check and now they are both "currently" (says quietly) working!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM

I currently have the vsx52 and have an issue with the video. When all components are switched on the video flickers. Other times it will work fine.
The control HDMI option is switched off. Isd there something i am not doing correctly. Am I crazy like Pioneer techs seem to think?

Also, on he audio side, I understand the amplification is class ab. Are there seperate amps for each channel? What is an icu chip? I was that if a receiver has a chip that the amplification is not great...

Thank You!
post #813 of 1569 Old 03-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

I am interested in getting one of Pio receivers I like the VSX-53, but I believe that this does not have a phono jack that I could connect a record player to in the future (My dad has tons of old lps). If so, is there an simple/inexpensive add on that I can purchase.

The set up would be to have the receiver in the Basement along with all the other toys in a max 5.1 setup, and then run cables and speakers to the living room and set up a small music station with with a record player/cd etc all running via the receiver. I am assuming this is possible with a multizone receiver. Aside from having to go up and down the stairs when I want to play some music upstairs to turn on the system or adjust volume (BTW does the IcontrolAV app take care of this) what other shorting comings might I run into.

Would this receiver be powerful enough for me to play music upstairs while running a 5.1 tv session down stairs. BTW speaker wires are they anything like HDMI that if you are going to be running a really long distance that is when you need a more expensive kind.

Thanks for the feedback

App takes care of the volume, all you need for phono is a phono preamp, works great. Search amazon for "phono preamp".

You can get one for about $50, but if you can afford it I recommend the Cambridge Audio Azure 640p.
post #814 of 1569 Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

I am interested in getting one of Pio receivers I like the VSX-53, but I believe that this does not have a phono jack that I could connect a record player to in the future (My dad has tons of old lps). If so, is there an simple/inexpensive add on that I can purchase.

The set up would be to have the receiver in the Basement along with all the other toys in a max 5.1 setup, and then run cables and speakers to the living room and set up a small music station with with a record player/cd etc all running via the receiver. I am assuming this is possible with a multizone receiver. Aside from having to go up and down the stairs when I want to play some music upstairs to turn on the system or adjust volume (BTW does the IcontrolAV app take care of this) what other shorting comings might I run into.

Would this receiver be powerful enough for me to play music upstairs while running a 5.1 tv session down stairs. BTW speaker wires are they anything like HDMI that if you are going to be running a really long distance that is when you need a more expensive kind.

Thanks for the feedback

Also, lamp cord from the hardware store is all you need for speaker wire, get thicker wire for long runs.
post #815 of 1569 Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 AM
KVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzword View Post

Also, lamp cord from the hardware store is all you need for speaker wire, get thicker wire for long runs.

Lamp cord.... I didn't know this was the 80's.

First, lamp cord isn't in wall rated and all he needs is a decent 16 gauge ideally 14 for long runs. That's not crazy expensive unless you want to.
post #816 of 1569 Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Just picked up a VSX52 last night after my Denon AVR2807 HDMI out died.
Pretty EZ set-up except for the Sat box that I want to use a HDMI cable for. I can't believe this wouldn't be the default. I figured it out & am very pleased w/ the sound. Now I'm looking to upgrade my slow-as-hell loading Sony BDP-S1 to either a Sony Bx58 or spend a few bucks more for a Elite 41FD
post #817 of 1569 Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 AM

5 weeks with my vsx-1121 and one rf-42 tower is no longer with sound, every other speaker is working fine! Any ideas of the probable solution for this?

The lava lamp no longer works to, it has been ;ike 5-10 feet away from the receiver/speakers, not even sure if that could cause the problem or something

Any idea guys
post #818 of 1569 Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 AM

Liked: 11
I know this is silly to ask here, but the local establishment I picked this up from is not open yet, etc.

So after much deliberation I decide on the Pioneer Elite VSX-52 to replace the Onkyo NR-509 that I didn't care for. Go to an authorized dealer locally and they order me one. Picked it up 5 minutes before they closed last night and after dinner I decide to make the switch over. I've owned many receivers over the years and have plenty of experience with install/setup, etc.

Plug everything in (3 x HDMI source) and my 5.1 set up (Klipsch rf IIs + definitive sub). I use banana plugs on all speaker wires, etc.

Fire up the avr for the first time and it wants to immediately go through the macc setup. I decline and instead just want a quick and dirty lets make this work.

I'm getting video signal from the cable box and it is passing through to TV. However, no sound. I work my way through the horrible menu system and select normal speaker configuration. I then stumble along the menu and find where to shut off the surround back and second sub that is enabled by default. All good.

Still NO sound output. I'm a bit concerned, but think I've got a setting wrong. Front panel of the AVR shows a Dolby Digital source is being recognized so I know the AVR is getting sound from the cable box. Still nothing. Try another source - xbox 360. Same thing.

Go back to MACC setup. Plug in the mic, and begin. NOTHING. It errors because it hears nothing. Go to manually set the speaker levels...no test tone. BAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Say to heck with it cause I have to be at work at 6 am, where I am now.

Thoughts? When the authorized dealer I purchased this from opens in a bit I'll call them, but in the meantime my brain is wrapped around this.

thanks.
post #819 of 1569 Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post

Thoughts? When the authorized dealer I purchased this from opens in a bit I'll call them, but in the meantime my brain is wrapped around this.

Hi itallushrt, any audio from tuner (AM/FM)?
some suggestions:
- cycle "Signal Sel" button
- reset receiver
- unplug all HDMI cables, power off all equipments, disconnect power cord on all components, wait a minute and reconnect HDMI cables, reconnect power cord and then power on receiver, tv and last the source.
post #820 of 1569 Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

some suggestions:
- reset receiver
- unplug all HDMI cables, power off all equipments, disconnect power cord on all components, wait a minute and reconnect HDMI cables, reconnect power cord and then power on receiver, tv and last the source.

I did not try the tuner.

I did cycle Signal Sel to no avail. I also reset the receiver. I have not tried the power down and repower order of operations that you suggested. I probably should have. I've only recently moved from the analog to digital connection world.

Unfortunately, I cannot do any of this at the moment since I'm at work. Grrr.

Thank you for the response and suggestions. I will try those when I get home.
post #821 of 1569 Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquincito View Post

5 weeks with my vsx-1121 and one rf-42 tower is no longer with sound, every other speaker is working fine! Any ideas of the probable solution for this?

The lava lamp no longer works to, it has been ;ike 5-10 feet away from the receiver/speakers, not even sure if that could cause the problem or something

Any idea guys

Have you moved that speaker to a different, known working port?

As far as the lava lamp, dunno what to tell you...
post #822 of 1569 Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

some suggestions:
- reset receiver

I would disagree. The receiver should be the last device powered on for a proper HDMI handshake.
post #823 of 1569 Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Well I think I got a bad unit. I tried EVERYTHING yesterday and simply cannot get sound out of this thing. It goes back tomorrow.
post #824 of 1569 Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post

Well I think I got a bad unit. I tried EVERYTHING yesterday and simply cannot get sound out of this thing. It goes back tomorrow.

Did you call Pioneer? It's worth a shot before returning it. Sorry about your luck - I've had my VSX-52 for a month and LOVE it!
post #825 of 1569 Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 AM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to assign different surround modes to different inputs?

I want to be able to make it so that when I switch over to say Xbox that it automatically goes in to Game mode or CD player in to stereo.

Also is there a way of it always doing 2.1 Stereo? I can't even find this as an option?!

Thanks
Andy
post #826 of 1569 Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am a previous owner of a ONKYO 606 but now own a VSX-52. Now on my ONKYO it was easy to set it up to where I had a stereo input to have it output simulated surround and pass through everything else. So far I have not found how to get the Pioneer to do this. Any Ideas?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #827 of 1569 Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

I am a previous owner of a ONKYO 606 but now own a VSX-52. Now on my ONKYO it was easy to set it up to where I had a stereo input to have it output simulated surround and pass through everything else. So far I have not found how to get the Pioneer to do this. Any Ideas?

On the remote press Receiver then ADV SURR and select Extended Stereo. "Gives multi-channel sound to a stereo source using all of your speakers". Page 38 of the manual. I use it most of the time for TV viewing.
post #828 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 AM

Also press Standard (or whatever the button next to it) and enable Dolby Pro-Logic IIx for movies or games.
post #829 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

So it sounds like there is no way to automatically program the VSX-52 to output Pro-Logic when it receives a stereo input like the ONKYO did correct?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #830 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDL View Post

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to assign different surround modes to different inputs?

I want to be able to make it so that when I switch over to say Xbox that it automatically goes in to Game mode or CD player in to stereo.

Also is there a way of it always doing 2.1 Stereo? I can't even find this as an option?!

Thanks
Andy

That is pretty much what I was looking for. I do not think it has that capability.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #831 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

So it sounds like there is no way to automatically program the VSX-52 to output Pro-Logic when it receives a stereo input like the ONKYO did correct?

once you set it once, it will "remember" it for that input until you change it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #832 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM

I just picked up a 52 yesterday and seem to be having some issues with the remote. The Home/Menu button does not appear to work. When I use the buttons on the receiver itself, I can get the OSD, but nothing from the remote. I do know that the arrow buttons (on the remote) are working because they function for the tuner. Should I be able to use the arrow buttons on the remote when the OSD is up also?

One other strange occurrence was when I hooked up my speakers. For all of my past receivers, I've hooked the red terminal on the speaker to the red terminal on the receiver and the same for the blacks. I did the same for my 5 speakers (5.1 setup) and for 3 of them, I got a notice on the MCACC saying three had reverse polarity. I switched those three and everything took fine. How can two of the speakers (red to red, black to black) be fine, but the other three are reversed? Is there some wonky wiring going on INSIDE the receiver?

Anyway, comments, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

One last question... I have a Wii w/component video and analog audio. How do I set it up? I'm attaching the video to the COMPONENT VIDEO IN 2 (DVR/BDR), but can't seem to figure out how to link that with the AUDIO CD IN. Am I missing something? Thanks!
post #833 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Cal View Post

I just picked up a 52 yesterday and seem to be having some issues with the remote. The Home/Menu button does not appear to work. When I use the buttons on the receiver itself, I can get the OSD, but nothing from the remote. I do know that the arrow buttons (on the remote) are working because they function for the tuner. Should I be able to use the arrow buttons on the remote when the OSD is up also?

One other strange occurrence was when I hooked up my speakers. For all of my past receivers, I've hooked the red terminal on the speaker to the red terminal on the receiver and the same for the blacks. I did the same for my 5 speakers (5.1 setup) and for 3 of them, I got a notice on the MCACC saying three had reverse polarity. I switched those three and everything took fine. How can two of the speakers (red to red, black to black) be fine, but the other three are reversed? Is there some wonky wiring going on INSIDE the receiver?

Anyway, comments, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

One last question... I have a Wii w/component video and analog audio. How do I set it up? I'm attaching the video to the COMPONENT VIDEO IN 2 (DVR/BDR), but can't seem to figure out how to link that with the AUDIO CD IN. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Pls check the manual it does say that reverse polarity is not always correct. I had it too one time and found I by mistake hooked the wire wrong. At another time I could not find anything wrong but I still got the message. I re-ran MCACC again and it went away.

Check wires carefully if all is good then re-run MCACC again and I think it should go away or you will have to ignore it.
post #834 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the tip on the reverse polarity. I actually ran it a few more times and it kept giving me the same messages. So I am correct that the red should go to red and black to back, right?

On the other issues, I reset the receiver and took the batteries out of the remote for a few minutes. Remote seems to be working fine now.

I also figured out how to hook up my Wii. Thanks!
post #835 of 1569 Old 03-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I also figured out how to hook up my Wii. Thanks!

I just ordered the following today. I'll let you know how it works out....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1
post #836 of 1569 Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepags View Post

I just ordered the following today. I'll let you know how it works out....

The component in is upconverted,no? Or do you just not have an open component video in?
post #837 of 1569 Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

The component in is upconverted,no? Or do you just not have an open component video in?

?? I don't follow you. Can you explained further?
post #838 of 1569 Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepags View Post

?? I don't follow you. Can you explained further?

I'm connecting my Wii using component video in and analog audio. Do you have a component cable for your Wii? It looks like the item you've referenced is essentially an HDMI converter so you can use an HDMI cable instead of the RCA/Component Video cables. I do see that someone commented that the audio is passed through HDMI so you will get the surround encoding, although I'm not sure if the audio is actually encoded as the Wii natively does not output digital audio.

In any case, if you're using the supplied RCA cables instead of having purchased a Component Video cable, this will probably be better than those. I got my component video cable from monoprice.com for something like $5. The VSX-52 will automatically upconvert the Component Video in to digital to passthrough your HDMI out.

I hope that explains what I'm talking about. Not sure if there is any benefit to your link vs. a Wii Component Video cable since the resolution will not be increased.
post #839 of 1569 Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I'm connecting my Wii using component video in and analog audio. Do you have a component cable for your Wii? It looks like the item you've referenced is essentially an HDMI converter so you can use an HDMI cable instead of the RCA/Component Video cables. I do see that someone commented that the audio is passed through HDMI so you will get the surround encoding, although I'm not sure if the audio is actually encoded as the Wii natively does not output digital audio.

In any case, if you're using the supplied RCA cables instead of having purchased a Component Video cable, this will probably be better than those. I got my component video cable from monoprice.com for something like $5. The VSX-52 will automatically upconvert the Component Video in to digital to passthrough your HDMI out.

I hope that explains what I'm talking about. Not sure if there is any benefit to your link vs. a Wii Component Video cable since the resolution will not be increased.

Gotcha. I was using component cables and hooked up to my kids 1080p led tv (no avr involved). I don't know if PQ will be better - this is the part that I mentioned that I would report back about.

I bought the device as a means to get rid of the huge component cable and rca's for sound so I could just use a single hdmi instead.

I'm traveling this whole week overseas for work so I'll report back next weekend.
post #840 of 1569 Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm reading the 52/53 manual now and learned that it is easy to adjust speaker levels on the fly from what the calibration sets.

Will the 52 revert to the calibrated speaker levels once the power is turned off and then on again. (My current receiver allows for on the fly adjustments and then returns to the calibrated levels when turned off/on.)

Thanks.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page