post #901 of 1569 Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daq32 View Post

What about when I listen to music? Ive got to change the settings for that?

they should still be set to small...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1569 Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Liked: 10
Setting them for small applies for THX applications only right? When I'm listening to just 2.0 stereo music, do do they need to be set to small too? What does that even mean really?

And also, how do I set it up to play 2.1 audio? I can't seem to find a setting for that.
post #903 of 1569 Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

no, they should be set to small for everything... "small" means "use bass management"...

which, fwiw, will give you the 2.1 you are looking for...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #904 of 1569 Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

no, they should be set to small for everything... "small" means "use bass management"...

which, fwiw, will give you the 2.1 you are looking for...

Ahhhhh... Thank you so much!

I'll try this when I get back from work. My Monitor 9's do have some thump to them, but for certain songs and genres, like hip-hop, I felt like a sub was needed. I know purists say "2-channel is the way it was recorded, so its how it should be played back.". But in my situation, I feel the sound is richer on some of the other settings, even 5.1 on the "extended stereo" setting sounded better to me in some cases and dplII often was pretty good as well. Maybe I'm just not playing the music at a high enough volume to really appreciate 2.0 stereo the way I should? I also liked the extended theater setting on some songs, where the center channel comes in to play.

Curious: What setting does everyone use when listening to music?
post #905 of 1569 Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Peddlar,

Quote:

Hi all, Im new to this forum so Im not sure if my issue has been addressed yet. I have a Elite VSX 51 hooked up in between the Comcast cable box and a VT30 TV. Occasionally, the picture will go to black for a sec or two, but there is still sound. So I tested all my HDMI cables by running straight from the box to the TV. No problems. No loss of picture. So now I have it all hooked up together but I am using the receiver only as a pass-through. Sound through the TV. And it still looses the picture and also the sound once in a while. this seems like a problem with the receiver. Anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it could be? Thanks

I have the same exact issue.. Check this out from Comcast:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...R/td-p/1042161

I just moved back to Florida from NY and in NY I had Time Warner Cable.
I could always channel surf with no lag at all between channels but with Comcast HD I have the same issue as yours.
The screen on my plasma goes black, sound is always good and then the picture comes up.
Also on my Pioneer VSX 53 Display during the switching of channels this is displayed....
"Stereo - Digital" and picture shows up or with HD channels I will get: "Stereo - Dial Norm -3 - Digital" and the picture returns.
I swapped out my older HD Cable boxes with a small (non DVR) Pace RNG110 box and I am wondering if it is the culprit.
Sometimes switching channels I notice that the HDMI Blue light on my VSX 53 will go off and back on as if the HDMI Handshake is being negotiated with each channel change!
This is my Living Room setup...

In my bedroom I have a Comcast HD DVR Motorola DCH3416 connected to my Pioneer VSX 1020 and then on to my Vizio XVT323SV HDTV.
I am not experiencing any lag or picture loss when switching channels in this setup!
Even though I will still get either "Stereo - Digital" or "Stereo - Dial Norm -5" but the picture remains while the VSX 1020 is going through this.
The BIG difference is that at no time does the HDMI "Handshake" light on my VSX 1020 go off and then back on, it stays ON and Solid at ALL Times!

That is why I think that it is the little Pace RNG110 DC Power supplied HD Cable Box.
I have not swapped out the cable boxes from Living Room to Bedroom and Visa-Versa to see if the problem changes locations with the boxes.
Rather than go through that process I will probably just return the Pace and get a regular AC Powered DVR Cable Box for my living room
and see if that ends this loss of picture as I change channels conundrum.

Let me know what cable box you have and if you are experiencing the same as I am.

Bud B
post #906 of 1569 Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddler View Post

Hi all, Im new to this forum so Im not sure if my issue has been addressed yet. I have a Elite VSX 51 hooked up in between the Comcast cable box and a VT30 TV. Occasionally, the picture will go to black for a sec or two, but there is still sound. So I tested all my HDMI cables by running straight from the box to the TV. No problems. No loss of picture. So now I have it all hooked up together but I am using the receiver only as a pass-through. Sound through the TV. And it still looses the picture and also the sound once in a while. this seems like a problem with the receiver. Anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it could be? Thanks

Wonder if I am having the same issue. See a few posts above yours.

Got everything hooked up correctly through HDMI. Sony BR, 2 directive receivers an xbox 360 and a PS3. The problem is if I set the output from the xbox or the PS3 to 1080p then the picture flickers and doesn't seem to capture. It does this whether I have the video conversion on or off. If I change the output from the 360 or the PS3 to 1080i, image is fine without flickering. Seems like the vsx-53 won't accept the 1080p signal from the consoles.

Is the cable box outputting a 1080p signal? If you change video conversion on the receiver to OFF does that help? My directv box was doing this also and I switched video conversion off and it stopped. Had to change PS3 and Xbox video output to 1080i and the going to black screen stopped. Like you I could hear the audio.

Seems like these receivers are having trouble accepting some 1080p signals?
post #907 of 1569 Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Hi BudB
Thanks for the link. I have a Motorola DCX3400. There is a whole thread there about HDMI problems with the DCX 3400 when hooked up to any AV receiver.

@Soonerdoc. I'll try to turn off the receiver upconversion to see what that does. But its doing it when the receiver is not even on (or standby mode).

I wonder what processing is taking place in the pass through mode that could cause this.
post #908 of 1569 Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddler View Post

I am in Michigan and Comcast HD box. I don't get any picture loss ever. Well, I think there was a problem I had a while back of the comcast box changing all the signals into 1080i. I made the box just pass the signals through now, and add side black bars. Otherwise, the comcast box seems a bit slow when it has to change resolutions.

Signature.
post #909 of 1569 Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Question for everyone, what is the standard volume level for normal listening on your VSX-5x?

I just wrapped up a basement remodel and over the course of the last year, I have used my VSX-53 in various temporary configurations. Now that I have everything set the way it will be going forward, I performed a factory reset and also did a fresh full auto MACC to start from scratch.

After doing the above, I noticed that my personal normal listening level is at 39.5. Considering that the scale starts at 80 (silent) , I am wondering if I need to enable some sort of "boost". I never really paid attention to what the volume was set at prior to the factory reset.

Thoughts?
post #910 of 1569 Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nope, you are fine... set the volume on whatever you like...

- chris

post #911 of 1569 Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM

I've successfully setup my VSX-52 to use Zone 2 and I was able to use the remote to control the volume on zone 2 using the zone 2 button. I'm ashamed to ask this, but how do I switch the remote back to controlling the main channel? I tried everything I could think of on the remote but no matter what I do the remote only controls zone 2 now. I saw nothing explicit in the manual to be able to switch back and forth. What am I missing?

Rich
post #912 of 1569 Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd62 View Post

I've successfully setup my VSX-52 to use Zone 2 and I was able to use the remote to control the volume on zone 2 using the zone 2 button. I'm ashamed to ask this, but how do I switch the remote back to controlling the main channel? I tried everything I could think of on the remote but no matter what I do the remote only controls zone 2 now. I saw nothing explicit in the manual to be able to switch back and forth. What am I missing?

Rich

Rich,

Did you use an external amp to power your zone 2 or did you use the speaker posts? I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to change the volume in zone 2 when using a sperate amplifier in zone 2...

Here is my setup:

7.1 - main
2.0 Stereo - Zone 2 - powered via additional amplifier

When I chose Zone 2 in the Manual SP settings, it used the speaker post connections rather than the amplifier. Here i could adjust the volume independent of the MAIN zone.

What is your Manual SP setting? Zone 2? Speaker B?

To answer your question though, did you hit the receiver button on the remote to switch it back to the main? When i had the Manual SP set to Zone 2, hitting the RECEIVER button on the remote switched me back to the MAIN.

abe
post #913 of 1569 Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman2005 View Post

Rich,

Did you use an external amp to power your zone 2 or did you use the speaker posts? I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to change the volume in zone 2 when using a sperate amplifier in zone 2...

Here is my setup:

7.1 - main
2.0 Stereo - Zone 2 - powered via additional amplifier

When I chose Zone 2 in the Manual SP settings, it used the speaker post connections rather than the amplifier. Here i could adjust the volume independent of the MAIN zone.

What is your Manual SP setting? Zone 2? Speaker B?

To answer your question though, did you hit the receiver button on the remote to switch it back to the main? When i had the Manual SP set to Zone 2, hitting the RECEIVER button on the remote switched me back to the MAIN.

abe

I just got off the phone with Pioneer and I am very disappointed at the moment. I was told that using the Zone 2 Pre-Amp and a separate amp, the volume is FIXED. WTF... The Pioneer rep said that I would need a variable volume amp.. which Pioneer doesn't have. This would be the only way I could adjust the volume. So, I contacted Crutchfield to see what they have and their rep said that they don't offer something like this. He suggested just using a separate receiver for Zone 2. The Crutchfield rep said that all other brand's receivers at the "Elite" caliber have variable volume adjustment for their pre-amps.

Overall, I can't believe that Pioneer would produce a 3 zoned "Elite" receiver with this gross oversight.

Maybe I am missing something obvious here... Does anyone else have a 7.1 main and a Pre-Amped Zone 2 - with variable volume control - up and running?
post #914 of 1569 Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daq32 View Post

Ahhhhh... Thank you so much!

I'll try this when I get back from work. My Monitor 9's do have some thump to them, but for certain songs and genres, like hip-hop, I felt like a sub was needed. I know purists say "2-channel is the way it was recorded, so its how it should be played back.". But in my situation, I feel the sound is richer on some of the other settings, even 5.1 on the "extended stereo" setting sounded better to me in some cases and dplII often was pretty good as well. Maybe I'm just not playing the music at a high enough volume to really appreciate 2.0 stereo the way I should? I also liked the extended theater setting on some songs, where the center channel comes in to play.

Curious: What setting does everyone use when listening to music?

In regards to listening in 2 ch mode...well....depending on what youre listening to, Im sorry, but a pair or 5 1/4 or 6/12 in your mains trying to play back an 808 kick drum or a stand up bass just aint gonna cut it. Theres no replacement for displacement. Sure, it may have been recorded in 2 chan, but I guarantee it sounded alot differently in person than over 2.0. Gotta add a sub to music to really hear how it was meant to be heard.

just MHO of course.

I listen in either THX (5.1) or stereo (2.1) depending on the music and whether Im sitting on my couch listening or wandering around the house doing stuff.
post #915 of 1569 Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was wondering what, if any device, you fellas use for sub eq? There's lots of choices so I was just wondering if there is a preference among pioneer owners.
post #916 of 1569 Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 AM

Can you guys please tell me what´s the FRONT PANEL finish like on both VSX-52 and VSX-53?
I understand they both should be "hairline", the one on VSX-53 should be even made of aluminium? Is that right? What´s the feel of it? Is it pretty solid to touch?
I´m asking because I have the VSX-1121, which I´m quite satisfied with (got it for 449 at Amazon), the only thing I really don´t like is the cheap plastic front panel...that´s been the thing with regular Pio AVRs for some time, though...only Elites have somewhat more solid build quality...
so I had contacted Pio US just out of curiosity, they sent me specific assembly instructions and confirmed the front panels have the same dimensions on all three; VSX-53, 52 and 1121 so they will fit on each other...
I´m just contemplating which would be the best...since I have BDP-440 with alu hairline finish, I guess I´d stick with the VSX-53´s front panel unless the VSX-52´s one is made from aluminium, too...

the price is cca 45 USD for the VSX-52´s one, 65 USD for the VSX-53´s...
I got a friend in the US at the moment so I can have it shipped to him and then he can bring it over here to the EU...
I also found Pio EU authorized store here and they said they can easily change it for me...
post #917 of 1569 Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Hi. Love this rcvr. Replaced my Denon AVR1909 with it. What I am trying to replicate from my Denon is having the 'B' speakers feed my patio. That way I can listen to teh same music inside and outside the house. But I am struggling on how to configure this on the Pioneer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #918 of 1569 Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james74 View Post

Hi. Love this rcvr. Replaced my Denon AVR1909 with it. What I am trying to replicate from my Denon is having the 'B' speakers feed my patio. That way I can listen to teh same music inside and outside the house. But I am struggling on how to configure this on the Pioneer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

James74 - it all depends on how you have your setup configured. I am not familiar with the Denon AVR1909, but with the VSX-5x you really have two options:

Option 1: MAIN 5.1 (or less) & Patio Stereo via speaker posts on the back of the receiver for Zone 2 (if i remember correctly, the surround backs are zone 2).

Option 2: Main 7.1 (or less) & Patio Stereo via pre-amp outs for Zone 2 - no direct connection via speaker posts on the back of the receiver for your patio speakers.

Going with option 1 will give you the greatest flexibility. All you have to do is read pages 53 and 69 of your manual to see the setup steps. Overall, you need to enter the setup options and enter the Manual SP menu. Select Zone 2 and you are set -- assuming everything is connected correctly. If you have an ipad/iphone/android etc, you can control the volume and source (analog only - meaning no HDMI or Optical) remotely for BOTH zones independently of each other by the iControlAV2 app- it isn't perfect, but it works.

Going with option 2, you can maintain a 7.1 in your main (note: reduces down to 5.1 when zone 2 is active); however, you need some additional hardware - 2-channel amp (I use the Onkyo M-282) and an in-wall volume controller (outdoor in your case?). The zone 2 pre-outs are NOT VARIABLE VOLUME - (pioneer is correcting this gross oversight in the 2012 VSX-60 series - they will be adjustable: Fixed, Variable, and dB limited), so no adjustment to the volume like you can in option 1; this is solved by adding the in-wall volume controller. You can still select different analog sources remotely though. To enable option 2, go into the Manual SP settings and select anything but Bi-Amp or Zone 2.

With either option 1 or 2, you need to enable multi-zone - you can find this to the top right of the directional arrow pad on the front of the receiver. If you are using the iControlAV2 app, just click the power button on the zone 2 tab. Also, if you are using the iControlAV2 app, you should have network standby enabled in the system options.

I am at work right now w/out the manual or the receiver in front of me, so if I am incorrect in one of the steps, that is my excuse. However, this should be enough guidance for you to stumble your way to patio sound.
post #919 of 1569 Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 AM

I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 receiver and I'm trying to figure out a way to power up my receiver once I turn my Directv box on. I'm trying to avoid using two remotes at all times.

I normally have my HDMI set on through as I only use my receiver to watch movies or listem to music.

I tried searching for my answer but couldn't find anything. I might be using the wrong keywords.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #920 of 1569 Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpino View Post

I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 receiver and I'm trying to figure out a way to power up my receiver once I turn my Directv box on. I'm trying to avoid using two remotes at all times.

I normally have my HDMI set on through as I only use my receiver to watch movies or listem to music.

I tried searching for my answer but couldn't find anything. I might be using the wrong keywords.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You may need to call directv tech support, but their remote is programmable. Dont know if they've got receiver codes or not.

If not, do it right and get a Harmony
post #921 of 1569 Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Ive recently put together new hi fi front channels for enjoying music. the other speakers are used for home theater and the new fronts are not powered during HT needs. These speakers absolutely blow away the pioneer driven channels. FYI the new bi-amped speakers are driven by a 6 channel ZED car audio amplifier.

My issue is that I want to use my inwall speakers as my HT Fronts while watching TV. The question is can I have both the pre outs connected to the new fronts AND the in-wall speakers connected to the front Left and Right channels. Also, most important, is there a button on the remote that can switch speakers a and b on and off????
post #922 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if anybody knows how to get the sound from a laptop to the vsx-53. I know that a I can stream wireless sound from my laptop to my vsx53, but I have noticed there's some delay... Unfourtunatly, I don't have any HDMI input on my Toshiba...

For the image, I use a vga cable that is connected to my Samsung Tv (model number lnt4661f)

Is there any way that I can connect a cable to my vsx53 from a laptop?

Thanks in advance

ps. I have look all over the internet for an answer, but haven't found anything... and I can't believe that such an expensive machine (vsx53) can't do it...
post #923 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

what audio output ports does the laptop have? connect from one of those to the appropriate jack on the avr...

i'm not sure why you think the avr has some type of limitation?

- chris

post #924 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwascar View Post

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if anybody knows how to get the sound from a laptop to the vsx-53. I know that a I can stream wireless sound from my laptop to my vsx53, but I have noticed there's some delay... Unfourtunatly, I don't have any HDMI input on my Toshiba...

For the image, I use a vga cable that is connected to my Samsung Tv (model number lnt4661f)

Is there any way that I can connect a cable to my vsx53 from a laptop?

Thanks in advance

ps. I have look all over the internet for an answer, but haven't found anything... and I can believe that such an expensive machine (vsx53) can't do it...

What audio output does your laptop have? Shouldn't be a problem to run one of those to your vsx53.

Edit: What Chris said.
post #925 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Hello again guys,

my computer has two output, one for headphone and the other one is for I microphone... If I decided to use the headphone output, where on the vsx53 I have to plug it... I think that I have tried every single input on the vsx53 without any success...

My laptop is a Toshiba L500d -oox
post #926 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the microphone is an "input", not an output...

- chris

post #927 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

the microphone is an "input", not an output...

Thanks for the clarification, but your comment doesn't give me any clue how to send the sound from my laptop to the vsx53.
post #928 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

buy one of these...

click me

stick the little end into the lappy and the two bigger ends into the analog input pair of your choice (red to red, white to white)....

choose that input on the avr...

tell your lappy to use the external output for sound...

done...

- chris

post #929 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM

I would like to have the best of both the HT world and the stereo world with one receiver. Is it possible with the VSX 52 to have preouts front channels and still use the HT settings for movies and TV? What settings are needed for this. Or am I just spinning my wheels.
post #930 of 1569 Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:

buy one of these...

click me

stick the little end into the lappy and the two bigger ends into the analog input pair of your choice (red to red, white to white)....

choose that input on the avr...

tell your lappy to use the external output for sound...

done...

Thank you, thank you! It works I plug it in the "cd" input of the vsx53. I tried first the multi zone 2, but no sound when a switch to that option. I guess that the red and white cable do not support 5.1 sound...? I might change my laptop then
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page