The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1569 Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Not sure if you still need help with this. I have VSX-1326 and I had same problem. I have connected VSX to my Sony TV's ARC (audio return channel) with an ARC HDMI. and my STB to TV with another HDMI. So this way I can watch my cable without VSX or turn on VSX to watch some cable movie thru my Bose speakers. Please note you need ARC (audio return channel) enabled TV with ARC HDMI. This way I don't hear loud bang when changing channel on my STB when VSX is turned on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1569 Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

so you made two 8 hour drives and spent probably $50.00 to $70.00 in gas.

when you could have shipped it for less than $30 at your local Fed ex....the warranty would cover the return shipping to your home

am I missing something?......thats a lot of extra time and money

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #1533 of 1569 Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

For those that might be looking for blu ray players etc

magnolia has marked down their BDP-62 to 60-70% retail...depending on the store

I bought two over the past week....sold one already and used the proceeds to make the other practically free...smile.gif

they have taken some further markdowns on the Pioneer Elite SC6x series as well....with probably another one coming right at or just after Christmas

I am eyeing a couple of SC67's to perhaps take the place of my Sc37...if I like the sound better

Though I tried the SC57 a year ago( with a firesale price from Magnolia) and actually preferred the Sc37...both in sound and build quality

It did sell quick and profitably though....smile.gif

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #1534 of 1569 Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

so you made two 8 hour drives and spent probably $50.00 to $70.00 in gas.

when you could have shipped it for less than $30 at your local Fed ex....the warranty would cover the return shipping to your home

am I missing something?......thats a lot of extra time and money

Warren

I really don't understand your reason of concern on how I chose to deliver and pick up the unit. Yes I could have chosen a cheaper method but I did not. Let's please keep this forum on the right course as I'm sure others will agree.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, Sony BDP-S6200, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #1535 of 1569 Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 590
My media server (Windows 7) reported a bad disk. I am installing Ubuntu (a LINUX flavor) right now. I wonder if the server will be able to play to VSX-53 via HDMI? Windows will be gone, and I am not sure if Ubuntu is sophisticated enough for an HDMI link.
Anybody using LINUX with the VSX?
post #1536 of 1569 Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really don't understand your reason of concern on how I chose to deliver and pick up the unit. Yes I could have chosen a cheaper method but I did not. Let's please keep this forum on the right course as I'm sure others will agree.

my questions have nothing do to do with concern...trust me

but anyway...no worries..lol

Warren

post #1537 of 1569 Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

someone obviously doesn't appreciate your contribution to the GDP
post #1538 of 1569 Old 11-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, Perhaps someone here could help me, I don't know where else to go for information regarding Speaker B / Multizone settings. I have read the majority of this thread looking for information but didn't find what I was looking for... perhaps it is there and I missed it so I apologize in advance if that is the case.

Anyway, I have a VSX 52. I have had it for a while using a 5.1 setup and it has been great. Just a normal setup with a cable box and PS3 with HDMI for all the inputs. I recently moved to a home that has a basement with two speakers already installed in the ceiling above the bar. I am trying to get some output to those speakers for regular TV and/or music via radio / PS3 / cable box but I cannot get anything to come out. No matter what I do the sound only plays in the main room upstairs. I have read the manual but for it wasn't much help for a non-expert like myself. The only way I can get sound to them is by plugging them into the front channels which is silly, but I just wanted to test the speakers.

Here is where I am confused. Should I be using multizone or speaker B? What is the difference? I have tried both with no success... probably not correctly though. The manual says to use the FH inputs for the additional B speakers. I have done that and run the Full MCACC program with the NORMAL SB/FH settings. It tests the basement speakers like the upstairs speakers and everything seems fine. But then no content will actually produce sound in the basement. I have toggled the speaker B setting on/off with no success. My impression was that if I had only speaker A on, then only the main room speakers would be on... and that if I turned on speaker B that the basement would get sound also... Is that not correct?

Ideally I would like to be able to turn the basement speakers on/off and just duplicate the output in both areas. I don't really need to play different sources in each area (which I believe multizone is really supposed to be for).

Anyone have any experience using this? I would think something that seems so simple would be easy to do for a machine that was this expensive. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

dhs135
post #1539 of 1569 Old 12-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone know what op amp is int he 52? Or where to find a schematic to find out?
post #1540 of 1569 Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody using a dedicated memory profile with different equalization for Stereo music (as opposed to default HT self calibration)?

Let me explain. Default VSX-53 self-calibration changes flat equalization to something like this:

It depends on your speakers and room acoustics, of course. I suppose this is done to minimize reverb and all other home theater interference. However, if I switch to playing Stereo music, the same equalization profile is used. It may not be optimal for Stereo. When I had a stereo system back in the days the equalization was not set like that. I would add +2 on lowest and highest bands and sometimes +1 in the 1Khz band for better vocals.

So, has anybody created a separate memory setting for Stereo sources and adjusted equalization to your liking - as you would adjust it in a Stereo external equalizer? I think this is what Pioneer had in mind when they gave us options for the 6 memory settings and one of them is M2.MUSIC, so we can change it as we want.
post #1541 of 1569 Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I created a new memory profile MUSIC and adjusted equalization as I would if I had an external Stereo equalizer.
Then I tested the sound with Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue" SACD ($227). Basically , I switched between VSX-53 full calibration (M1.MOVIE) and this new memory profile.
Here is what I heard.
The equalized music became more palpable, more present, vivid. Its like you are in a concert hall and you've changed your seat from row S to row D. The musicians are closer. This is because of the increase in midrange, between 1Khz and 3Khz. The voices and instruments became bigger. Overall, it was a change for the better until I switched back to default self calibration setting.
Back in VSX's default equalization, the first impression was that music became quieter. This is expected since MUSIC profile had midrage increased by 5dB. So, I increased volume to match the equalized profile. The musicians moved away from me by a few feet, that is how it felt. But the sound gained something. It was better soundstage and imaging in the default calibration. The voices were not as close to me anymore, but instead became three dimensional, with an airy quailty. The instrumented appeared as objects hanging in 3D space within the recorded acoustic. I was surprised by this change, so I switched back to MUSIC mode. Indeed, because of the increased lower bass, upper octave and presence midrange (none of which participate in the Stereo effects for the most part) the sound collapsed on me. It almost sounded mono. No depth whatsoever.
So, the benefit of a MUSIC equalization setting is an immediate, vivid and forward sound, but at the expense of losing perspective in the physical sense (collapsed soundstage, absence of instruments and voice positioning). Another minus is that this MUSIC setting will be somewhat fatiguing at very high volume. It will be too harsh/aggressive to tolerate longer than 5-10 minutes.
I will keep the M.MUSIC profile for occasional use (mumbling movie soundtrack or especially flat recording). But default M.MOVIES still looks like a winner here. You cannot get tired of it. It is really remarkable how well the VSX-53 designers did their job.
Still, has anybody used custom equalization in the VSX-53? Or default self calibration is all we use? Thanks.
post #1542 of 1569 Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs135 View Post

Hi, Perhaps someone here could help me, I don't know where else to go for information regarding Speaker B / Multizone settings. I have read the majority of this thread looking for information but didn't find what I was looking for... perhaps it is there and I missed it so I apologize in advance if that is the case.

Anyway, I have a VSX 52. I have had it for a while using a 5.1 setup and it has been great. Just a normal setup with a cable box and PS3 with HDMI for all the inputs. I recently moved to a home that has a basement with two speakers already installed in the ceiling above the bar. I am trying to get some output to those speakers for regular TV and/or music via radio / PS3 / cable box but I cannot get anything to come out. No matter what I do the sound only plays in the main room upstairs. I have read the manual but for it wasn't much help for a non-expert like myself. The only way I can get sound to them is by plugging them into the front channels which is silly, but I just wanted to test the speakers.

Here is where I am confused. Should I be using multizone or speaker B? What is the difference? I have tried both with no success... probably not correctly though. The manual says to use the FH inputs for the additional B speakers. I have done that and run the Full MCACC program with the NORMAL SB/FH settings. It tests the basement speakers like the upstairs speakers and everything seems fine. But then no content will actually produce sound in the basement. I have toggled the speaker B setting on/off with no success. My impression was that if I had only speaker A on, then only the main room speakers would be on... and that if I turned on speaker B that the basement would get sound also... Is that not correct?

Ideally I would like to be able to turn the basement speakers on/off and just duplicate the output in both areas. I don't really need to play different sources in each area (which I believe multizone is really supposed to be for).

Anyone have any experience using this? I would think something that seems so simple would be easy to do for a machine that was this expensive. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

dhs135

dhs135 - Take a look at page 53 of the manual - specifically the part about SP: A + B ON. My memory is a little rusty, but I think this is what you want.

However, Page 12 of the manual shows two different options for your situation: [C] and [E].

Option [C] uses the Speaker B connections. Essentially, if you hooked your basement stereo speakers up to the Speaker B posts, you could have the sound either play only play through your 5.1, only play through the basement stereo speakers, or play the audio through all the speakers (7.1). I don't know if you can adjust the volume independent of each other in this setup, but this should be what you are looking for. - MULTI-ZONE controls don't apply here.

Option [E] would require a separate 2-channel amplifier to power Zone 2. I use this option for some outdoor speakers on my VSX-53 which gives you a little more control over the audio. You can pickup an amp for around $100 (check out Amazon.com for for the AudioSource AMP-100 for example). If you go with option [E], you can't adjust the volume with the iOS/Android app though - i had to put an inline volume adjuster to fix this... - MULTI-ZONE controls do apply here.

I agree 100% with you that Pioneer's attempt to incorporate multi-zone fails - especially for such an expensive product. Denon's high-end consumer AVRs are the way to go and I regret getting my VSX-53 anytime I want to try out a new "feature" because they never work as you would expect.

Hope that helps!

-Abe
post #1543 of 1569 Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM

I posted this in the MCACC forum, but it likely belongs here.

Hello. Thought you guys could help. I have a vsx 52. All of a sudden I've been losing sound in the left or right speaker randomly.

At first I thought it was the wires. They were fine. Then I went into my account and went to manual sp level. The speaker that didn't have sound played a noise.

As soon as I exited the sound returned on that speaker. This pops up once in a while and started about 3 weeks ago. Coincidentally when I got my ps4 and I use the headphone plug in the controller. I think tat is just coincidence but who knows.

Today it happened on the right speaker. Was always left before. And no ps4 in between outages. I've seen using a new memory that I copied my settings but bumped up center channel since we have a baby and I need to run the system at a lower level.

Using directv. No changes to the system anywhere that I'm aware of.

Any thoughts?
post #1544 of 1569 Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

"3) A single loud chirping sound (independent of how low the volume was) comes out of speakers when surround modes were changing - like from a Stereo commercial to a Dolby Digital movie. This came up about 4-5 months into the ownership and stopped being an issue after I got a power amplifier."

This is happening to me as well. I sent a private message to grigorianvlad and he told me that even after getting a power amplifier this continued to happen. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this noise? Would a power conditioner help?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
post #1545 of 1569 Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbecc1 View Post

Quote:

"3) A single loud chirping sound (independent of how low the volume was) comes out of speakers when surround modes were changing - like from a Stereo commercial to a Dolby Digital movie. This came up about 4-5 months into the ownership and stopped being an issue after I got a power amplifier."

This is happening to me as well. I sent a private message to grigorianvlad and he told me that even after getting a power amplifier this continued to happen. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this noise? Would a power conditioner help?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mbecc1, one correction. I misspoke. The noise is more popping than chirping.

Here are more posts on this defect:

"Pioneer VSX-53 Popping Noise",
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443550/pioneer-vsx-53-popping-noise

“Pioneer VSX-921-K W/ TSI300 Popping/cracking",
Polk Audio Forum

Popping sound w/ “Pioneer VSX-1120”,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost ... ostcount=1

Popping sound w/ “Pioneer VSX-1020”,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost ... count=3022

Popping sound w/ “Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX”,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost ... stcount=73
post #1546 of 1569 Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

A question on wireless surround headphones connectivity.
My VSX-53 has a problem - the headphones jack doesnt work. If I connect wired headphones the AVR simply ignores them. There is no sound from the headphones, my speakers still blasting (no cut off). So, I have to use pre-outs. But they are connected to a power amplifier. So, the only connection left is optical.
I am planning to buy wireless surround headphones like these:

My question is this. Will the optical out signal as shown below retain all the audio adjustments the VSX performs (treble, bass, etc.), or will it simply send to the headphones the same signal that comes straight from the source HDMI ?

I dont want to lose the equalization and other AVR adjustments.

Thanks.
post #1547 of 1569 Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Has anybody else run into a problem where a stereo audio source (in my case a turntable) plays audio out of the center and right speakers, but not the left? I don't think I was silly enough to incorrectly wire my devices, but I'll check this when I get home. Playing on Ext. Stereo results in music out of the left speaker as well as all others.

Thoughts?
post #1548 of 1569 Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

Has anybody else run into a problem where a stereo audio source (in my case a turntable) plays audio out of the center and right speakers, but not the left? I don't think I was silly enough to incorrectly wire my devices, but I'll check this when I get home. Playing on Ext. Stereo results in music out of the left speaker as well as all others.

Thoughts?

Is this still happening? What about other stereo sources? Sounds like the center is wired to left. If you haven't corrected yet, go into the setup and output test tones for left and center before pulling the unit out of the cabinet. Ext. Stereo will result in sound from all channels as you have discovered.
post #1549 of 1569 Old 01-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiet66 View Post

Is this still happening? What about other stereo sources? Sounds like the center is wired to left. If you haven't corrected yet, go into the setup and output test tones for left and center before pulling the unit out of the cabinet. Ext. Stereo will result in sound from all channels as you have discovered.

Thanks for your assistance. Somehow the cables were switched around, which doesn't make any sense because I haven't really touched my setup in over two years, and it was fine at that time.
post #1550 of 1569 Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Is the line level audio out for Zone 2 a variable out?
post #1551 of 1569 Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Anyone know why my vsx-53 volume level will not go above -10dB ?
post #1552 of 1569 Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmars View Post

Anyone know why my vsx-53 volume level will not go above -10dB ?

That is a strange issue. So, you keep rotating the volume button to the right and it maxes out at -10? Does this happen without a sound (paused CD, for example)? After you hard restart it (unplug power and plug it back in)? Reset to default?

What is the lowest volume setting - is it -80?

I am very interested to learn more. An odd issue!
post #1553 of 1569 Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeDub18T View Post

Is the line level audio out for Zone 2 a variable out?

No.
post #1554 of 1569 Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Kudos to Pioneer support.
My remote suddenly died a week ago. I thought the batteries were drained so I replaced them. No luck. The VSX-53 doesnt respond to its own remote, but does to my ELite BD player's remote control.
I went to Pioneer support site. It asked me for some info, including the S/N and a scan of my original receipt. I upload everything and wait for a confirmation. Dont get any, even the next day. So, I call them up. They ask me for the same information. Two days later I receive an email saying the my new remote is on its way. It arrives 5 days later. Then another one two days after.
I recon this happened because my web form and phone call were treated as separate tickets. Dont understand how because the S/N is the same.
Nevertheless, I have 3 remotes now, two of them are working.

post #1555 of 1569 Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a Pioneer VSX-1326-K ( as the Title says it's really a Elite VSX-53)

Purchased receiver Boxing Day little over 2 years ago. 

Worked Great till about 4 months ago then I started receiving UE22 Error.  I didn't bother taking it in for warranty as the error would go away.

Then about one week ago I lost all audio output,  even on AMP or Through everything else is working perfect. 

I have tried the following

-  I disconnected all components and hook up just 2 working speakers and a small HDMI TV,  still no sound on AMP or Through

- I did a factor reset ,  still no sound on AMP or Through

- I tried a firemware update (hangs at 20% then finally gives Error1)  I'm left with a software version of # 1-204-087-***-094

- called pioneer support and they told me unit only has 2 year warranty even tho the website says 3 year warranty

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Home/AV-Receivers/FutureShop/VSX-1326-K.  Pioneer wants me to ship them the receiver and they will tell me how much it will cost to repair.

Does anybody have a service manual or schematics.   or has anybody heard of this problem before.

Does anybody know where I can get an Elite VSX-53 in the United States for a good price and my father could pick it up for me,, then I will have one for parts

post #1556 of 1569 Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kudos to Pioneer support.
My remote suddenly died a week ago. I thought the batteries were drained so I replaced them. No luck. The VSX-53 doesnt respond to its own remote, but does to my ELite BD player's remote control.
I went to Pioneer support site. It asked me for some info, including the S/N and a scan of my original receipt. I upload everything and wait for a confirmation. Dont get any, even the next day. So, I call them up. They ask me for the same information. Two days later I receive an email saying the my new remote is on its way. It arrives 5 days later. Then another one two days after.
I recon this happened because my web form and phone call were treated as separate tickets. Dont understand how because the S/N is the same.
Nevertheless, I have 3 remotes now, two of them are working.

My VSX-53 scared the wits out of me. I tried to use remote - it would not change volume or switch inputs. I put new batteries into the extra remote - same thing. I can switch Pioneer Elite tracks using the VSX-53 remote, but it wouldn't operate its own device. What the ... ? I tried my universal Logitech remote - same thing.
So, I am lost at this point. Then I went to Menu by pressing the button on the AVR. Checked all settings - all were fine except for Remote Extension. It was set to on. Why?
I checked the back of the receiver and realized what the problem was. I got an Emotiva XPA-5 power amplifier. It came with a remote trigger cable which I connected to the back of the VSX. I couldnt make it work. I wanted for the power amp to turn on and off when my AVR is on or off. I gave that up, but the trigger cable remained connected.
I promptly disconnected the cable from AVR and set it to Remote Extension OFF.
Now the remote works - volume, inputs, BD player, everything.
I wanted to mention this in case you guys ever encounter this issue.
post #1557 of 1569 Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been doing some browsing of this thread, and haven't found much, so here goes...

My DirecTV HR34 is hooked up to my VSX-50 via HDMI. Up until yesterday, this has worked fine. Now, for some reason, I have picture, but no sound.

I've tried changing the settings on the receiver, tried a different HDMI cable on a different input, reset the AVR, refreshed the AVR via DirecTV, pretty much everything I can think of. Still no audio.

Has anyone had this type of experience of picture but no sound with DirecTV?
post #1558 of 1569 Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGraney View Post

Been doing some browsing of this thread, and haven't found much, so here goes...

My DirecTV HR34 is hooked up to my VSX-50 via HDMI. Up until yesterday, this has worked fine. Now, for some reason, I have picture, but no sound.

I've tried changing the settings on the receiver, tried a different HDMI cable on a different input, reset the AVR, refreshed the AVR via DirecTV, pretty much everything I can think of. Still no audio.

Has anyone had this type of experience of picture but no sound with DirecTV?

Check on VSX if your HDMI isnt set to THROUGH (AMP is the correct setting).

Check on VSX if your FIXED PCM isnt set to ON (OFF is the correct setting).

Try the second HDMI monitor out jack (if this is a VSX-53, I think VSX-52 has only one).
Try a different HDMI cable
Try an optical out just as a test of your HDMI board
post #1559 of 1569 Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Check on VSX if your HDMI isnt set to THROUGH (AMP is the correct setting).

Check on VSX if your FIXED PCM isnt set to ON (OFF is the correct setting).

Try the second HDMI monitor out jack (if this is a VSX-53, I think VSX-52 has only one).
Try a different HDMI cable
Try an optical out just as a test of your HDMI board

can also try directv TV straight into the TV to test the direcTV box and the cable. if TV plays sound and video then it's something in the VSX.
grigorianvlad likes this.
post #1560 of 1569 Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB173 View Post

can also try directv TV straight into the TV to test the direcTV box and the cable. if TV plays sound and video then it's something in the VSX.

Why is it that the best ideas always occur to someone else? Yep, that would be test to begin with! Thanks, comrade KGB! biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page