AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi again,

Well, Technically everyone refers to their remote as a universal..even the remote for the Pioneer Elite VSX 53.
They call it a "Illuminated Learning Remote Control"
But yes, it is NOT what you would consider a true Universal Remote...Sorry about that..I was stretching the truth a bit.

Going to BB today and check out the Harmony One and the 650, they are on sale and I have $60.00 in BB Rewards Zone Certificates.

So, I may have one or two Universals by the days end.

Later, Bud B

Hey Bud,

I have to ask you, with the new integrated ipad control, why would you consider a different type of remote? Unless you don't like the large touch pad size, could be too cumbersome, maybe a old-school type of programmable type remote would be great, ease of use, easy to customize, etc?

So how you lovin your vsx-53? I've been playing the waiting game, looking to see how everything is playing out between you and the others in the game, vsx-52, 1121 etc.
I don't like to see this about the HDMI pass through, thought this was taken care of, guess not? Hows the Zone2 / Zone3 capability with the 53? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1576 Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran into another issue besides the pass through thing last night. A friend of mine brought over a FLAC copy of a dvd I had been wanting. recorded at 192/24 which I thought was supposed to play on the receiver. I download the files to my NAS drive and went to receiver to play them. They started to play for about 20 sec then a pause, then play a bit... then pause?

I went upstairs and played them on the PC with no problems?

I did notice these FLAC files are a LOT larger then the usual ones I had been doing from CD's being at 96Kz...

I am wondering if its a network issue then why am I able to play the files on my PC without any hickups?

Any thoughts? The NAS is hooked to my network via a gigabit switch and has no problems streaming HD video to the PS3 right next to it...

Thanks...

Frank
post #153 of 1576 Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
who here is using an ipad to control the unit? are you also controlling the cable box, blu-ray, and other components with it? sounds like a sweet feature i need to upgrade to ASAP.
post #154 of 1576 Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Hi there ive recently purchased a vsx poineer 1020k, ive set my amp so i have a 5.1 playback playing in my main room and have connected and another pair of speakers which i am using as zone 2. i cant seem to find the bass and trebal setup for these speakers and was wondering how i could increase them features for better playback.

Ajay
post #155 of 1576 Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi browntrash,

One last thing to look for...
Usually speakers are connected with Crimp On Connectors.
I have seen where over time a connector can come loose and drop off of a speaker terminal.
The speaker could also be bad and needs to be replaced.
It could of course be the amp but to find that out you could pull the speaker and if you have a speaker sitting around plug it in and just try it at low volume.

So rather than totally DEAD, there are some other options, you just confirmed that the feed is OK.

I might have gone the route specified but also if you had a Boom Box or any other System with a Aux In, you could have ran the Sub RCA from the receiver, and see if you are getting a Feed from your receiver.

If your Sub is a decent Sub and worth some further investigating, I would go for it and see exactly what happened with your Sub.
Open it up and take a look.
Most Subs have easily replaced parts that is cheaper than a new purchase.
Of course that is thinking that you were initially happy with the Sub, instead you may be thinking, "Aw shoot, I have to get a new Sub, Grin, Grin"
If the latter is the case, get Happy and get a new Sub! LOL!

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #156 of 1576 Old 09-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Hi TheaterChad,

Quote:

Hey Bud,
I have to ask you, with the new integrated ipad control, why would you consider a different type of remote? Unless you don't like the large touch pad size, could be too cumbersome, maybe a old-school type of programmable type remote would be great, ease of use, easy to customize, etc?

Because the Harmony 650 is $60.00 and the Ipad is $800.00!
I would Love to have an Ipad but after my recent purchases, I just don't want to get further back with the purchase of an Ipad.
Knowing me I will want the best Ipad 2 with all of the Bells and Whistles and beside the E53 Remote capabilities, I just have not found enough other reasons to talk myself into one!
Eventually I think that I will get one but it may be Ipad 3 by then.
The Harmony 650 is good for now and especially in the living room..I would not want a bunch of people playing with my Ipad, but the 650, anyone can play with it! LOL!

Quote:

So how you lovin your vsx-53?

I am really happy with my E53, it sounds good and when I add a Sub it will sound Great!
Two thumbs Up and no Complaints!
My sisters just came for a visit from Florida and was really enjoying the Surround!
Freaking out a bit and laughing as sounds whipped around their heads!
Of course my Sisters listen to their TV's with the TV Speakers, so the E53 was a real treat for them!
It was worth it's money just for that!

There have been many Layoff's where I work (how Surprising!) and I could still return the E53 and my new B&W 685's to BB (Silver Rewards=45 days return policy) but I'll be damned about that!
I may lose my Job but the E53 and my new Bowers & Wilkins 685's are going home with me to Florida!!
As I hunt for a new Job and come home and drop into my chair, like the Maxell Guy catching the Wine Glass on the Table, that will be me with my E53 and B&W 685's!!
I deserve It!

My hope is that I can get everything paid for before I get a Pink Slip LOL!
Plan for the Worst and Hope for the Best!
That's Life in the new Millennium!
Good Luck to Us All, that we can still Work to afford and Enjoy Our New Toys!

Bud B
post #157 of 1576 Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM

question...pretty sure i have it all right, just need an affirmation.

elite vsx-51, hooked up to ps3 for blu-ray via hdmi. receiver says "pcm" even though game or blu-ray are dolby truehd or dts-hd ma.

ps3 video settings for blu-ray/dvd are hdmi linear PCM.
ps3 audio settings for blu-ray/dvd are hdmi linear PCM.

even tho receiver says PCM, i am receiving dolby true-hd or dts-hd ma, since the ps3 is doing the decoding for the receiver, correct?

thx
post #158 of 1576 Old 09-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Regarding the optical Toslink output on the VSX-53, I have a question that I hope someone here can answer, I have searched high and low and read the Pioneer manual, but it is still not clear to me how this output behaves/works.

I have an HDMI (Sony VPL-HS51) projector and older (non-HDMI) Sony receiver in another room. I want to supply HDMI video, and Toslink optical 5.1 audio, to this room. This is why the VSX-53, with it's dual HDMI outputs, appeals to me.

Will the VSX-53 send out 5.1 multichannel audio from the "optical out" jack on it's rear panel? Or, is that output "dumbed down" to plain 2-channel audio? (Or does it output nothing at all, if the audio is being supplied via one of the six HDMI inputs)?

Lastly, if the VSX-53 won't do this, would a device such as the one linked below, work?

It claims to be able to extract a bitstream from the HDMI and provide an optical toslink multichannel (5.1) output:

http://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Digi.../dp/B005COKXCO

post #159 of 1576 Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Browntrash,

Quote:

ps3 audio settings for blu-ray/dvd are hdmi linear PCM.

I have seen this discussed and I believe that it goes like this..

1) LPCM and the PS3 is decoding the Audio and sending it to the Receiver or HDTV Via HDMI

2) Bitstream Audio out and the AV Receiver is doing the processing.

In the days before the AV receivers of today you would use LPCM but today's receiver's have the processing power, so you set the PS3 Audio out to BitStream.
You want the Pioneer doing the Audio Decoding, that's why you bought it!

Try it and I think that you will like it..

Bud B
post #160 of 1576 Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Hi rwhite692,

Quote:

I want to supply HDMI video, and Toslink optical 5.1 audio, to this room.

Then you are out of Luck.
Look on page 20 of the OP Manual "Connecting Other Audio Components"
This is the only setup where I saw the "Optic Out" used.
Under the diagram you will see it states...
"You can't Hear HDMI Audio through this receivers Digital Out Jack"

Maybe you might need that extractor from Amazon.

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #161 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I currently have a vsx21txh and I wonder if an upgrade to vsx53 or even SC-55 would worth it. I have a Rotel Rb1080 to drive my main, so I'm not sure if I need the 140w classD of the SC series. Power rating is at 560W (vs 400W for my vsx21) so I guess it would do fine to power my center/suround/back (7.1)

also, $80 difference between the vsx-52 and 53 worth it ?

Any advice?

Thanks
post #162 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Vric, I think that essentially the main thing you get by moving up from the 52 to the 53, is the secondary HDMI output, which, as it turns out in my case (see above posts), is only partly useful.
post #163 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

Hi Browntrash,

I have seen this discussed and I believe that it goes like this..

1) LPCM and the PS3 is decoding the Audio and sending it to the Receiver or HDTV Via HDMI

2) Bitstream Audio out and the AV Receiver is doing the processing.

In the days before the AV receivers of today you would use LPCM but today's receiver's have the processing power, so you set the PS3 Audio out to BitStream.
You want the Pioneer doing the Audio Decoding, that's why you bought it!

Try it and I think that you will like it..

Bud B

for (what seems like) the umpteenth million time recently...

it does not matter where you unpack a lossless codec, you will get exactly the same thing... "lossless" is "lossless"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #164 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM

That is pretty much what I figured, Bud.

Would like to hear from any folks who have had success extracting a 5.1 audio bitstream (toslink out) from HDMI, using one of these converters.

I have to think that I am not the first person to run into this problem, LOL.
post #165 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post

Vric, I think that essentially the main thing you get by moving up from the 52 to the 53, is the secondary HDMI output, which, as it turns out in my case (see above posts), is only partly useful.

Thanks,

There's also the "full band" phase control and the aluminum face plate that might be worth $80 to me. Is it true the 52 ans 53 doesn't share the same front?
post #166 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Regarding the VSX-53, I have a question related to the secondary HDMI Output.

The "primary" HDMI output has ARC (audio return channel), which is important in my case, since the Sony NX720 series TV which will be connected at that output, has streaming services built in (Netflix, etc).

Say I am streaming Netflix on the NX720 TV, which is connected to the "primary" HDMI port. Audio is getting back to the receiver via ARC. Great.

Question: Will the audio and video that I am streaming on the TV connected on the "Primary" HDMI port, be replicated and output at the secondary HDMI output?

**EDIT** I think I answered my own question, after thinking about it, it wouldn't work, since the streaming video is never getting to the receiver, in the first place....
post #167 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM

I finally figured out how to stream sirius...

Click on HMG, then settings then sirius. enter sirius username and password.
Then click on HMG again and then Sirius. Voila. Sirius connected via internet.
post #168 of 1576 Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post

**EDIT** I think I answered my own question, after thinking about it, it wouldn't work, since the streaming video is never getting to the receiver, in the first place....

bingo... you answered your own question correctly...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #169 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Vric,

First off, Nice Home Theater Setup!

Quote:

I currently have a vsx21txh and I wonder if an upgrade to vsx53 or even SC-55 would worth it.

I downloaded the OP Manual for your VSX21TXH and you would gain quite a bit with an upgrade.

Compared to the Elite VSX 52 your VSX211 does not have:
1) Home Media Gallery
2) Air Play & Air Jam (Air Studios in SC's)
3) DLNA 1.5 Certified
4) HDMI 1.4
5) Full Ipod, Ipad, Iphone
6) iControlAV2 (iPad, iPhone, Android)
7) Supported Apple Devices: 4th gen Nano and above / iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4 / iPad, iPad2
8) Pandora Radio
9) Rhapsody Music Service
10) Manual MCACC
11) Network Audio Formats: LPCM, WAV 192kHz, MP3, ACC, WMA, FLAC 192kHz
12) 3-D Ready
13) Video Scaler: Marvell Qdeo up to 1080p / 24fps
14) Video Parameter Adjustments: Advanced Video Adjust - HD Sources Progressive Motion - YNR, CNR, BNR, MNR, Detail, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Black level
15) Ethernet Input
16) No Sub Out

There are many more Advancements and Feature Changes between your 2009 VSX 211THX and the 2011 VSX 52 and the newer SC 55 and 57's.
I would also expect that there will be many changes between today's Pioneers and the Future 2013/14 Receivers.
The Great thing is that your 2009 $800.00 receiver is still pretty much available with the above enhancements in the $900.00 Elite VSX 52.
At a $100.00 increase over 3 Years, not bad!

If it was me, I'd say that it might be time for an upgrade or at least get one in and see what you think, if your not impressed in 25 days, Return it!
I'm sure that I will be looking at the new 2013 or 2014 models myself.

Lastly a lot of the changes such as the Apple enhancements, Rhapsody and Pandora Music...The Network/Ethernet capabilities, you know if these are things that excites you in 2011.
You should at least download the OP Manuals for the models that you are interested in and have a look for yourself!
If your Happy today, there is always 2012, you could buy a receiver and enjoy it while you are waiting for the end of the World! LOL!

Whatever you do, with a Home Theater setup like you have, I know that you will Enjoy it!
I'd Love to watch NFL games or anything on that setup..WOW!
Ahhh what Dreams are made of...Put a Pop-Up Bed in There! LOL!

Have a Great Weekend!
Bud B
post #170 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 AM

On my VSX-52 I have my Marantz UD5005 Bluray connected via hdmi. If I watch a movie the VSX-52 lists the audio, on the front of the VSX-52, as "Stereo" and not "PCM". I go into the setup of the actual movie, in the title menu, and I see that the movie shows playing in the correct audio format. Once I hit "Menu" on the VSX-52 remote, the tv screen shows the VSX-52's, on screen menu, then hit "Return" on the VSX-52 remote, the VSX-52 shows the correct audio on its display as "PCM". Any ideas why this happens?
post #171 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the great reply Bud B.

For me, the Airplay was the main feature I wanted since I try to move all my home on airplay (I have a couple B&W Zeppelin, iPad, iPhone and few touch that I only use as remote)

But since 3D projectors are getting cheaper, that my 6100 is hitting his 2000th hours soon and since I saw the new lineup of Epson 3D projector coming, I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a VSX-53 (for around $750 shipped)

It will be the first upgrade to make my theater 3D ready for the next spring. : )

I also came to the conclusion that the SC-55 was overkill since I already have GREAT movie experience and for stereo music, the Rotel that can push nearly 250W into my rti9 do a better job than what any Pio would.

Thanks again for the post, I wasn't aware of all the change since my 2009 model.

P.S. I need to take new picture of my setup. It was updated quite a bit since 2 years.. Damn AV world it never end!
post #172 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Hi sw51,

Quote:

On my VSX-52 I have my Marantz UD5005 Bluray connected via hdmi. If I watch a movie the VSX-52 lists the audio, on the front of the VSX-52, as "Stereo" and not "PCM"

Quote:

I go into the setup of the actual movie,

If you go to page 38 in the OP Manual and under "Audio Output" look under HDMI and you will see....

Bitstream
For selecting when the device connected to the unit supports
Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Digital or DTS-HD/DTS Digital
Surround. The output format is automatically selected according to the
audio format or the number of channels supported by the connected
HDMI device.

PCM : For selecting when a device connected to the unit does not support
Surround.

Off : For outputting no audio signal from the HDMI output terminal of the unit

From the three choices "Bitstream" is supposed to be the default setting. This lets the E52 be in charge of the processing, or something like that..I think!
Also Page 49 in the OP Manual has some further information about Audio Output via Bitstream and PCM.

Is the Audio Output still set to Bitstream or another setting?
I would think that because the E52 shows PCM that your Marantz is no longer set to "Bitstream" as it's Default setting.
Do you have the Blu-Ray player going into the HDMI BD Input on the E52 or one of the other HDMI connectors?
If it's not going into the E52 at the BD HDMI, try that.

Let us know more..

Later,
Bud B
Link to OP Manual: Under Downloads..
http://us.marantz.com/documentmaster...en_ug_v00a.pdf
post #173 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

the avr is never in charge of what the player sends... the avr makes it's edid information available to the player when the handshake is negotiated (i.e. the avr tells the player "this is what i can take")... the player is what determines what gets sent...

- chris

post #174 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hi ccotenj ,

Quote:

the avr is never in charge of what the player sends..

But if it is the AVR that tells the Player (at Handshake)
Quote:

this is what i can take"

And then the Player sends that, didn't the AVR just control the Player's Sent Info, post Handshake?

I always thought it was more like the player saying, (When set to Bitstream) "This is what I'm sending to you (the AVR) so I hope that you can take it!
If not, then someone should tell me (the Player) so that I will treat you like a dummy (with no Processing) and I will do the intelligent work myself!"

Am I wrong about this analogy?
I am always willing to learn if so...

Later,

Bud B
post #175 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbragin View Post

I'm about to get the VSX 52. The Magnolia guy was pushing the Control 4 remote system. But with this receiver, can't I just use the iPhone and/or iPad app? I know the included remote is supposed to be too unwieldy with the small buttons, but do I really need an expensive remote system if I have an iPhone? What are all of you using? Is it easy and convenient to use the iPhone app (i.e. wife-ready?)

Quote:

Hi sw51,

If you go to page 38 in the OP Manual and under "Audio Output" look under HDMI and you will see....

Bitstream
For selecting when the device connected to the unit supports
Surround. The output format is automatically selected according to the
audio format or the number of channels supported by the connected
HDMI device.

PCM : For selecting when a device connected to the unit does not support
Surround.

Off : For outputting no audio signal from the HDMI output terminal of the unit

From the three choices "Bitstream" is supposed to be the default setting. This lets the E52 be in charge of the processing, or something like that..I think!
Also Page 49 in the OP Manual has some further information about Audio Output via Bitstream and PCM.

Is the Audio Output still set to Bitstream or another setting?
I would think that because the E52 shows PCM that your Marantz is no longer set to "Bitstream" as it's Default setting.
Do you have the Blu-Ray player going into the HDMI BD Input on the E52 or one of the other HDMI connectors?
If it's not going into the E52 at the BD HDMI, try that.

Let us know more..

Later,
Bud B
Link to OP Manual: Under Downloads..
http://us.marantz.com/documentmaster...en_ug_v00a.pdf

Thanks Bud. I will try that
post #176 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Bud B,

You sold me on the Pioneer. I did return my 52, but pulled the trigger on the SC-55. I always enjoyed Pioneer's power, clarity, and efficiency, but found it hard to use and slow when accessing my network. I decided I can live with the limitations since I can access my network using the WD Live Hub. Since the settings should be pretty close to the rxv series, I'll ask my technical questions here because you really know your Pioneer settings.

Ali
post #177 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Greetings

I'm moving up to a 3D ready HDTV (Samsung PN59D8000) and all the associated regalia and as a long time Elite fan I'm looking into getting the VSX-52. I currently have the VSX-84TXSi which has been superb but I need HDMI 1.4. Anyway, one of the audio modes I'm kind of spoiled on is 7 channel stereo which is great when listening to straight stereo broadcasts or radio. I've downloaded the owners manual for the VSX-52 and, after a quick scan, 7-channel stereo does not appear to be present but I was wondering what "neural surround" is and if it might be the same thing.

Thanks!

Paul
post #178 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi ccotenj ,

But if it is the AVR that tells the Player (at Handshake)
And then the Player sends that, didn't the AVR just control the Player's Sent Info, post Handshake?

I always thought it was more like the player saying, (When set to Bitstream) "This is what I'm sending to you (the AVR) so I hope that you can take it!
If not, then someone should tell me (the Player) so that I will treat you like a dummy (with no Processing) and I will do the intelligent work myself!"

Am I wrong about this analogy?
I am always willing to learn if so...

Later,

Bud B

yes, you are wrong with that analogy...

- chris

post #179 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hi CobelAli,

I appreciate your Support
There is a Thread for the SC 55 and 57...Link Here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1352164

I think that when you spend the big bucks and get into the SC receiver class, that even Pioneer has a rep that sits in on the Forum.
You would never see him here LOL!

So check it out and it will be very informative for ALL questions about your new SC 55. Congrats on your purchase..It should treat you right!

Bud B
post #180 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Hi ccotenj,

Quote:

yes, you are wrong with that analogy...

Well no one is perfect! If that's my one omission, I can live with it!

I just know that in the various threads and for whatever analogy, Bitstream seems to be the Audio choice over PCM.

I have a Gateway HTPC that uses Cyberlink's PowerDVD10 Ultra Mark II and one of it's latest improvement's has been in it's ability to improve it's lossless Bitstream capability.
With it and my Radeon HD5770 Video Card, I use HDMI to my Pioneer VSX 1020 and the Audio has been much improved via Cyberlink for my Blu-Ray and all Audio Content.
My Pioneer display will change per Blu-Ray disc and Audio format used.

My HP HTPC has Media Smart for it's Blu-Ray Player Software, which does use an older PowerDVD 8 version but I cannot get into the Software
to adjust it's Audio capabilities, like I can with my other Gateway HTPC and PowerDVD10.
So on my Pioneer Elite VSX 53 I Just see "Stereo" no matter what Blu-Ray disc I play and the Audio is nothing like my Gateway PowerDVD10 HTPC Setup in my bedroom!
A disc like Avatar for an example, is Night and Day Audio wise, from one HTPC to the Other!

For what it's worth......

I have been on the HP Forums and there is no way for me to get into the Software and adjust the Audio settings to my Elite VSX 53 so I am stuck!

So use any analogy that fits but it looks like I will have to remove HP's proprietary Software and Install PowerDVD 10 and then bitstream the Audio to my E53 for a decent Audio in my living room!
I did this once before when the Media Smart software went buggy and I uninstalled it and downloaded PDVD 10 into my HP and Audio was just like my other HTPC,
then I found through the HP Forums of an Upgraded Media Smart Software..SO..What did I do, you got it...
I uninstalled PDVD 10 and Installed HP's MediaSmart Software, only to discover, "Hey, what happened to my Audio and what's with the "Stereo" on my E53!"
I was not Happy and I have just not done the whole un-install re-install PDVD 10!

So, I don't know the Analogy, just know what works and that's what counts!
I usually do not see PCM advised, especially in conjunction with not only the new Pioneer AV receivers but most of the receivers of today.

Later,
Bud B
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page