The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #181 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I scanned through that forum thread and while I'm sure there are informed members posting on that thread, I didn't see your name very often. I know I can count on you with some of the more complicated settings (and won't give me a hard time for not reading the manual from beginning to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi CobelAli,

I appreciate your Support
There is a Thread for the SC 55 and 57...Link Here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1352164

I think that when you spend the big bucks and get into the SC receiver class, that even Pioneer has a rep that sits in on the Forum.
You would never see him here LOL!

So check it out and it will be very informative for ALL questions about your new SC 55. Congrats on your purchase..It should treat you right!

Bud B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:

I have been on the HP Forums and there is no way for me to get into the Software and adjust the Audio settings to my Elite VSX 53 so I am stuck!

Just a question, why don't you use another software? HTPC are flexible. I personally have a 12TB HTPC running on XBMC and it works great with my Elite. (HD audio included)
post #183 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Vric,
I have 12TB myself 6TB on each of my HTPC's, Gateway and HP.
I am very Happy with Cyberlinks PowerDVD Software on my Gateway HTPC and soon on my HP HTPC.
I just need to put it on my HP HTPC which feeds my Elite VSX 53 and get rid of the HP Media Smart Software!
I have seen the Freeware XBMC with it's different Skins but I have had PowerDVD for Years and Years, back when XBMC was just part of X-Box.
You are the first that I have heard uses it.

With Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10 Ultra I have three choices of Audio...

1) PCM decoded by PowerDVD: this mode creates a digital representation of an analog signal. Select this option if your external decoder (AV receiver) does not support Dolby Digital or DTS to produce a digital sounding output for your audio.

2) Non-decoded Dolby Digital/DTS audio to external device: this mode passes compressed audio through to your external decoder (AV receiver). Select this option if your amplifier/receiver supports Dolby Digital or DTS to enable either during playback, when available.

3) Non-decoded high-definition audio to external device (HDMI 1.3 only): this mode passes lossless audio through to your external decoder (AV receiver). Select this option if your amplifier/receiver supports high definition audio to enable either during playback, when available.

This last option # 3 is what I use and also when I will see on my Pioneer VSX 1020 with Avatar: DTS HD Master.
HP Media Smart just gives me PCM at Stereo and that is why I need to replace it!
I have the Software, I just need to do it....maybe tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bud B
post #184 of 1576 Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Hi again CobelAli,

I will of course be happy to help you with whatever learning curve you may have.
I posted in their Forum awhile ago but it was about going with the SC55 or staying where I was with my VSX 53.

Though I would have liked to go with the SC55, I needed a Sub and Speakers and felt as did they in the Forum, that I had additional places where my money could be better spent.
Not to mention that I live in an Apartment both here in Rochester and Ft. Lauderdale, the VSX 53 has more than enough power to get me into trouble with my neighbors! LOL!

Enjoy your new SC 55.

Later,

Bud B
post #185 of 1576 Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Hi sw51,

If you go to page 38 in the OP Manual and under "Audio Output" look under HDMI and you will see....

Bitstream
For selecting when the device connected to the unit supports
Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Digital or DTS-HD/DTS Digital
Surround. The output format is automatically selected according to the
audio format or the number of channels supported by the connected
HDMI device.

PCM : For selecting when a device connected to the unit does not support
Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Digital or DTS-HD/DTS Digital
Surround.

Off : For outputting no audio signal from the HDMI output terminal of the unit

From the three choices "Bitstream" is supposed to be the default setting. This lets the E52 be in charge of the processing, or something like that..I think!
Also Page 49 in the OP Manual has some further information about Audio Output via Bitstream and PCM.

Is the Audio Output still set to Bitstream or another setting?
I would think that because the E52 shows PCM that your Marantz is no longer set to "Bitstream" as it's Default setting.
Do you have the Blu-Ray player going into the HDMI BD Input on the E52 or one of the other HDMI connectors?
If it's not going into the E52 at the BD HDMI, try that.

Let us know more..

Later,
Bud B
Link to OP Manual: Under Downloads..
http://us.marantz.com/documentmaster...en_ug_v00a.pdf

Bud,

Thanks for the info. I went into the BD player setup and changed the audio to bitstream from pcm and it worked. Looks like the VSX-52 was setup correctly.
post #186 of 1576 Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy,

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I went into the BD player setup and changed the audio to bitstream from pcm and it worked. Looks like the VSX-52 was setup correctly.

Glad to help and that your Audio is now Cooking!

It just seems that the Pioneer's like Bitstream!
I have it set that way on all of my external equipment and Software.

Now just Enjoy!

Bud B
post #187 of 1576 Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Hi browntrash,

One last thing to look for...
Usually speakers are connected with Crimp On Connectors.
I have seen where over time a connector can come loose and drop off of a speaker terminal.
The speaker could also be bad and needs to be replaced.
It could of course be the amp but to find that out you could pull the speaker and if you have a speaker sitting around plug it in and just try it at low volume.

So rather than totally DEAD, there are some other options, you just confirmed that the feed is OK.

I might have gone the route specified but also if you had a Boom Box or any other System with a Aux In, you could have ran the Sub RCA from the receiver, and see if you are getting a Feed from your receiver.

If your Sub is a decent Sub and worth some further investigating, I would go for it and see exactly what happened with your Sub.
Open it up and take a look.
Most Subs have easily replaced parts that is cheaper than a new purchase.
Of course that is thinking that you were initially happy with the Sub, instead you may be thinking, "Aw shoot, I have to get a new Sub, Grin, Grin"
If the latter is the case, get Happy and get a new Sub! LOL!

Good Luck,

Bud B

Thx Bud. I ended up ordering another sub (Lava LSP-12) which will be a definite upgrade from the Onkyo HTIB sub i have from 2008. I'd like to use the Onkyo sub in another room, so i will open it up and look around.

Quote:

Hi Browntrash,

I have seen this discussed and I believe that it goes like this..

1) LPCM and the PS3 is decoding the Audio and sending it to the Receiver or HDTV Via HDMI

2) Bitstream Audio out and the AV Receiver is doing the processing.

In the days before the AV receivers of today you would use LPCM but today's receiver's have the processing power, so you set the PS3 Audio out to BitStream.
You want the Pioneer doing the Audio Decoding, that's why you bought it!

Try it and I think that you will like it..

Bud B

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

for (what seems like) the umpteenth million time recently...

it does not matter where you unpack a lossless codec, you will get exactly the same thing... "lossless" is "lossless"...

True, but now i have the digital bling on the front of the receiver!
post #188 of 1576 Old 09-27-2011, 03:26 PM

I have a VSX-52. I am trying to use an IR repeater.

I can not get the IR in port on the back of the receiver to accept and act on the data I send to it. Strangely, if I put an IR Emitter in the receivers IR out port, and dangle that emitter in front of the receiver, it will accept the signals.

So the IR signal is going into the receiver, but not used, then that same signal I can send out the IR out port and it works!?!

Why does the receiver refuse to act on the signal? Its like its locked in on the front sensor and refuses to acknowledge the input on the back.

Signature.
post #189 of 1576 Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Hi browntrash,

One last thing to look for...
Usually speakers are connected with Crimp On Connectors.
I have seen where over time a connector can come loose and drop off of a speaker terminal.
The speaker could also be bad and needs to be replaced.
It could of course be the amp but to find that out you could pull the speaker and if you have a speaker sitting around plug it in and just try it at low volume.

So rather than totally DEAD, there are some other options, you just confirmed that the feed is OK.

I might have gone the route specified but also if you had a Boom Box or any other System with a Aux In, you could have ran the Sub RCA from the receiver, and see if you are getting a Feed from your receiver.

If your Sub is a decent Sub and worth some further investigating, I would go for it and see exactly what happened with your Sub.
Open it up and take a look.
Most Subs have easily replaced parts that is cheaper than a new purchase.
Of course that is thinking that you were initially happy with the Sub, instead you may be thinking, "Aw shoot, I have to get a new Sub, Grin, Grin"
If the latter is the case, get Happy and get a new Sub! LOL!

Good Luck,

Bud B

got the new sub. plugged everything in and ran advanced MCACC. wont recognize or power up the sub (dont see light on back of sub coming on in any color). I even went out and bought a new sub cable. HELP?

EDIT: fuse was blown!
post #190 of 1576 Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hi dnoyeB,

Page 24 of the OP Manual is where the instructions are for using the IR IN and OUT of the VSX 52.

I read your post over a few times trying to understand exactly what you are trying to do.

1) Which IR Repeater do you have?
2) Is your Receiver behind closed doors so you are trying to control your VSX 52?

Give a little more Info.

Bud B
post #191 of 1576 Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 PM

My receiver is low and my TV is high so I need to get the signal down near the receiver so the remote use will be easier.

All I want to do is get the unit to accept the signal from the IR extender. This works just fine if I use an IR emitter and put it in front of the receiver. Well actually it does not. When the remote signal hits both the front of the receiver AND the IR extender, the receiver does not respond. I guess the signals interfere with each other.

So I am trying to get the IR-in port on the back of the receiver to work. If I take a mono cable from my IR repeater, and plug it into the back of the receiver, that signal is ignored. Now this is the strange part I did only as an experiment.

The back of the receiver has IR-in and IR-out. The IR-out is to pass the IR-in signal along to some other unit. I took that IR-out signal and put an IR emitter on it, and put the emitter in front of the IR sensor on the front of the receiver. The receiver responds to this. This tells me that the IR signal is going into the IR-in port. Just that the receiver is ignoring it.

The unit I have is by Impact Acoustics. It claims a reception range of 34KHz to 60KHz.

Signature.
post #192 of 1576 Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Hi again,
Well it looks like you are not the only person that has problems with the IR IN & OUT of a Pioneer, here is a link to a thread ....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1084707

In essence from what I can surmise, the system that you have is not intended to be used with the IR IN & OUT on the back of the Pioneer.
It is it's own self contained unit.

In other words, if you wanted to control your receiver from another location you would place the "IR Receiver" near that location, let's say your TV and plug it into the IR Distribution block, you would then take the IR Emitter that looks like a pair of mini headphones and mount them by your receiver, making sure that they will access the remote front Sensor of the Pioneer Receiver.
Now you can point at your TV and not the receiver because the Emitter is flashing the sensor on your pioneer.

If you look on page 24 of the OP Manual, it shows an IR Receiver being connected to the IR IN of the Pioneer. The above link talks about that IR Receiver.
Do you have a IR IN or OUT on your TV?

I also have my Pioneer VSX 53 way to the side of my Pioneer Kuro Plasma and my TWC Cable box.
I have a "SR Control OUT" on my Pioneer KURO (it's called KURO Link) so I ran a Mono 1/8" cable from my Kuro's "Control OUT" and then over to my Pioneer VSX 53,
I plugged the other end into the "Control IN" on the back of my receiver.
Now I can just use my Pioneer KURO's remote front Sensor to control both.
The easy way of trying to do what you are.

I will say that except for On/Off nothing else is used Remote wise for my Pioneer Kuro HDTV, everything else is controlled via my Cable Box for Channels and my Pioner VSX53 for the Audio.
If I did not have Kuro Link, I could simply locate my Cable Box next to my VSX 53 and my remote would always be pointed there!
Run the necessary Cable to my Cable Box and I have long HDMI Cables to go to my HDTV. Problem solved!
There is always more than one way to skin a cat as they say!

I would suggest that if your cat is skinless and your IR Extender is it, then forget the IR on the back of the Pioneer and just set it up as it wants and is spec'd for.
My other suggestion, if you do not already have one, is look into a Universal Remote!
I just got a Harmony 650 and I wish that I would have done it a long time ago!

So let me know what you figure out and Good Luck!

Bud B
post #193 of 1576 Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM

I second the Harmony suggestion. These remote has 3 IR and very wide/long range. I personally have the 1100 and the One (also had the 880 and 650) always been happy.

Since your receiver seem to be in sight but just lower than your tv, these remote would work fine (in my theater, the IR signal bounce on the screen and on a coupe of wall to control the light, which is no where near the line of sigh nor direct reflection.)
post #194 of 1576 Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM

I have a universal remote. It does not solve my issue. I am trying a version of what you suggest. I don't need to control the TV at all. I only need the cable box and receiver. But they are in a position that the remote can reach only 50% of the time. That creates my problem with the IR emitter mounted on the front of the receiver. when the remote can hit the front of the receiver, it wont work with the emitter there. I could tape over the sensor, but that is ugly.

Signature.
post #195 of 1576 Old 09-28-2011, 03:44 PM

after running MCACC, it seems my sub is not as loud as i would like. Is it alright for me to turn up the volume knob on the sub, or should i try something else first, like increasing the volume thru the manual MCACC? thanks
post #196 of 1576 Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrash View Post

after running MCACC, it seems my sub is not as loud as i would like. Is it alright for me to turn up the volume knob on the sub, or should i try something else first, like increasing the volume thru the manual MCACC? thanks

Sub always was lower than I would like on my vsx21 and now is the same with the vsx53. Just turn it down before calibration, and back up after.

MCACC don't seem to lack bass. It always put -5db the 63hz of my front, which I revert back cos I use quite a bit of stereo music and it does make huge difference.

I setup my vsx53 this afternoon and maybe I'm crazy, but the main difference I saw was the video quality. It seem vivider and more contrast. I will have to make a full calibration again. I didn't try my bluray yet, only htpc and TV.
post #197 of 1576 Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric View Post

Sub always was lower than I would like on my vsx21 and now is the same with the vsx53. Just turn it down before calibration, and back up after.

MCACC don't seem to lack bass. It always put -5db the 63hz of my front, which I revert back cos I use quite a bit of stereo music and it does make huge difference.

I setup my vsx53 this afternoon and maybe I'm crazy, but the main difference I saw was the video quality. It seem vivider and more contrast. I will have to make a full calibration again. I didn't try my bluray yet, only htpc and TV.

Is your receiver set to process the video? If I'm not mistaken, your receiver uses Marvell's Qdeo chip, the same one in the SC-55/57. It's an excellent video processor.
post #198 of 1576 Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM

i have my pc hooked up to the receiver, and am running audio and video to it. From what i can tell i setup the pc to do 5.1 dolby, but I'm still getting the PCM logo on the receiver. It is definitely not putting out 5.1 Dolby. Any ideas? thx
post #199 of 1576 Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

if you are getting "pcm" on the display, that is what the avr is getting from the pc...

check the settings on your pc... it's either decoding the dd before sending it (if you are getting 5.1 when it's displaying pcm that is what is happening) or it's downmixing to 2 channel before sending it (if you are only getting a left and right signal, then it's this that is happening)...

either way, it's the pc that needs to be examined, not the avr...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #200 of 1576 Old 09-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

if you are getting "pcm" on the display, that is what the avr is getting from the pc...

check the settings on your pc... it's either decoding the dd before sending it (if you are getting 5.1 when it's displaying pcm that is what is happening) or it's downmixing to 2 channel before sending it (if you are only getting a left and right signal, then it's this that is happening)...

either way, it's the pc that needs to be examined, not the avr...

yes, the process you identified seems identical to the PS3, and i was able to address that by sending the data as bitstream for the avr to decode. I am not able to find that feature (need to search more) on the PC, but at this point it seems like it is only coming out of the L and R speakers.
post #201 of 1576 Old 09-29-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

yup... definitely downmixing...

post up your setup, i.e. video/audio card, software being used, etc. someone will chime in to point you in the right direction... sorry, i'm not much help when it comes to windows stuff...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #202 of 1576 Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Browntrash,

I have 2 Windows HTPC's....
So maybe I can help.

The Audio Feed to your receiver is both a Hardware and Software issue.
There is also a good section at the beginning of the forum which lists HTPC Questions and Answers, as well as Setups.
Link Here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You are kind of in a separate area rather than your receiver.
You previously got your PS3 working correctly with it's Audio settings, so it looks like your PC passes the 5.1 Audio.
Now you have what I think is a separate issue.
So, beside your PS3 what functions are you using with your PC that is PCM.
Is it an internal PC Program / Software such as Windows Media Player or something like that?

Chris (ccotenj) is correct in that we need to know a lot more.....
Quote:

post up your setup, i.e. video/audio card, software being used, etc. someone will chime in to point you in the right direction.

Exactly what are you trying to do that is producing PCM.

Bud B
post #203 of 1576 Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 AM

Hi -

I have a 3 year old Denon 1909 and the hdmi board just fried. Apparently the board is about $400 + labor. I'm told it's "totalled".

So now I'm in the market to replace it. I've gone to the pioneer website and tried to figure out the differences between the top of the base pioneer line (1121) and the elite 53. In addition to room correction one of the biggest features I'm looking for is multi room/ multi source. It appears that both models have these features. Can anyone help with the other major diferences and if the extra cost of the 53 is really worth it? Thanks!
post #204 of 1576 Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 AM

I've dug a little deeper and found only 2 differences between the models: full band phase control for the 53 instead of phase control bass management for the 1121. Also, the 53 has Jitter Reduction for the audio section.

Lastly the 53 is 3 zone instead of 2 zone for the 1121 (not important to me).

Other than that, they appear identical!

On the surface, it seems like a no-brainer to save the cash and go for the 1121.

Thought?

Thanks!
post #205 of 1576 Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrash View Post

I use the knob on the sub. The bass is definitely too low for playing music. its dead on for movies and TV though.

If you turn it up, the TV starts to sound strange with all the bassy breathy voices. The knob is easiest for me so far. I suppose I could get to the point of using the MCACC memories. That was one of the selling features of the unit for me.

Signature.
post #206 of 1576 Old 09-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Hi dnoyeB,

Go to the Link below and it discusses the differences between the E52 (Elite VSX 52) and the E53 (Elite VSX 53)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1344459

VSX 1121 Owners Thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20408502

I own the E53 and it also has a second HDMI Out over the E52.

The Elite's also have a 2 Year Warranty over the 1 Year Warranty of the VSX 1121.
There are also some links to Discuss the 1121.
A lot of good reading ahead..

Bud B
post #207 of 1576 Old 10-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Hi dnoyeB,

Go to the Link below and it discusses the differences between the E52 (Elite VSX 52) and the E53 (Elite VSX 53)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1344459

VSX 1121 Owners Thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20408502

I own the E53 and it also has a second HDMI Out over the E52.

The Elite's also have a 2 Year Warranty over the 1 Year Warranty of the VSX 1121.
There are also some links to Discuss the 1121.
A lot of good reading ahead..

Bud B

I studied the diff between elite and non-elite this Spring before I purchased.

One thing I remember is that the Elites were NOT made in China like the other units. Also, the Elites have a removable power cord.

But i don't care about 52 v 53. I wont even be using the 2nd zone on the 52...

Signature.
post #208 of 1576 Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hi dnoyeB,

Strike that...

I was responding to joepags and his questions..

Quote:

I've dug a little deeper and found only 2 differences between the models: full band phase control for the 53 instead of phase control bass management for the 1121. Also, the 53 has Jitter Reduction for the audio section.

Lastly the 53 is 3 zone instead of 2 zone for the 1121 (not important to me).
Other than that, they appear identical!
On the surface, it seems like a no-brainer to save the cash and go for the 1121.

Thought?

Thanks!

and this...

Quote:

Hi -
I have a 3 year old Denon 1909 and the hdmi board just fried. Apparently the board is about $400 + labor. I'm told it's "totalled".

So now I'm in the market to replace it. I've gone to the pioneer website and tried to figure out the differences between the top of the base pioneer line (1121) and the elite 53. In addition to room correction one of the biggest features I'm looking for is multi room/ multi source. It appears that both models have these features. Can anyone help with the other major diferences and if the extra cost of the 53 is really worth it? Thanks!

Sorry I pasted your name by mistake...

Later,

Bud B
post #209 of 1576 Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks Bud. Haven't found any info on where the units are made. Interesting! Do you remember where the elite models are made?

Thanks!
post #210 of 1576 Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Hi joepags,

Quote:
Do you remember where the elite models are made?

Wow, I have not checked that..Let me look...

OK, my Pioneer VSX 1020K was made in China and my Pioneer Elite VSX 53 was made in Malaysia.
I do not know where the Elite SC Series are Manufactured.

You could ask that over at the SC55 & 57 Owners Thread.

Bud B
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors