The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #211 of 1576 Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all, is anyone else using a Harmony One remote with their Elite 52/53?

I'm having an issue with my "PS3 activity", that includes tv, ps3, avr to power on. Once everything powers up...and the AVR goes to the BD input and i think it's all good...bam......it switches to my TV input on the AVR. I even went back and added another step for the remote to wait 5 seconds and switch to the BD input again, but even then it switches back to TV input. (i am able to press help on my remote and it fixes it, but doing that every time defeats the purpose.)

This might belong in a different section, but because it deals with the Elite vsx 52/53 i wanted to post it here.

anyone experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1576 Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

turn off hdmi control on all your devices...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #213 of 1576 Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 AM

I have the SC-55 and it's also made in Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi joepags,

Wow, I have not checked that..Let me look...

OK, my Pioneer VSX 1020K was made in China and my Pioneer Elite VSX 53 was made in Malaysia.
I do not know where the Elite SC Series are Manufactured.

You could ask that over at the SC55 & 57 Owners Thread.

Bud B

post #214 of 1576 Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 AM

You might check your BD player to see if it has settings other than bitstream. I think there is an uncompressed raw format that is very 'audiophile' and I think it comes across as PCM. If you want Dolby TrueHD, you should probably be seeing 'Dolby TrueHD' on your receiver. Are you playing BD encoded in TrueHD, and are you playing the TrueHD track?

I don't think there is any negotiation. If it can't decode it, no sound will come out. I don't think it can change the format or even request a format change of the BD player.

Signature.
post #215 of 1576 Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

turn off hdmi control on all your devices...

that did it. thanks!
now if only i can figure out how to get HDMI passthrough to function correctly, i'd be in business,
post #216 of 1576 Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Me too. I think I've tried every combination, but I don't think the standby HDMI pass-through works with every TV. It probably only works with the discontinued Kuro line, just the like the volume overlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhat View Post

that did it. thanks!
now if only i can figure out how to get HDMI passthrough to function correctly, i'd be in business,

post #217 of 1576 Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyeB View Post

You might check your BD player to see if it has settings other than bitstream. I think there is an uncompressed raw format that is very 'audiophile' and I think it comes across as PCM. If you want Dolby TrueHD, you should probably be seeing 'Dolby TrueHD' on your receiver. Are you playing BD encoded in TrueHD, and are you playing the TrueHD track?

I don't think there is any negotiation. If it can't decode it, no sound will come out. I don't think it can change the format or even request a format change of the BD player.

It was the bd player. I had to change the audio settings to hdmi audio
post #218 of 1576 Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Hi all,

I just recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-52 and the AS-WL300 and the Bluetooth option and I spent a few hours last night trying to get the AS-WL300 to pop on my network, I have an older Linksys 802.11n routers but all of my wifi device (including my new Panasonic TV plasma), can connect to the network without issue.

I've done some searching here on the forums and the only thing I've seen is that setting the IP address statically may resolve the issue which I've tried without much success.

I thought it originally acted as a bridge so I'd have to have two separate subnets one to connect to the wifi network at home and one between the AS-WL300 and the receiver over ethernet but that doesn't seem to work either.

I haven't tried updating the firmware of my VSX-52 yet but I'll take any suggestions. The firmware readme doesn't say anything about any fixes other than fixing some Rhapsody issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
bzabber
post #219 of 1576 Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi bzabber,

Did you go to the OP Manual and on page 71 go down the list of instructions for "Network Setup Menu" to get your WL300 working?
The connection of the WL300 to the E52 on Page 23 of the OP Manual.

Bud B
PS. As I have not set one of these up before, I will bow to hopefully someone who has experience with this.
There is always a call to Pioneer Support if all else fails.
Good Luck!
post #220 of 1576 Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Hi bzabber,

Did you go to the OP Manual and on page 71 go down the list of instructions for "Network Setup Menu" to get your WL300 working?
The connection of the WL300 to the E52 on Page 23 of the OP Manual.

Bud B
PS. As I have not set one of these up before, I will bow to hopefully someone who has experience with this.
There is always a call to Pioneer Support if all else fails.
Good Luck!

Bud B,

I haven't tried that yet but I know the page you're referring to. I've seen a few posts on on either easy or difficult it was to setup but that's about it. Once I figure it out I'll post what I did.

It should be straight forward one would think.

Thanks Bud B, stay tuned.

bzabber
post #221 of 1576 Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM

I figured out the IR input pinout. Its a stereo input.

The sleeve or the base part of the connector is the ground.
The ring or middle part of the connector carries the IR signal.
The tip, I don't know what it's for but I'm not using it. I don't see any voltage on it.

Using the IR in on the back, I no longer have the issue of the receiver getting confused by receiving 1 IR signal directly and 1 from the IR blaster.

Happy Camper.

Signature.
post #222 of 1576 Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzabber View Post

Hi all,

I just recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-52 and the AS-WL300 and the Bluetooth option and I spent a few hours last night trying to get the AS-WL300 to pop on my network, I have an older Linksys 802.11n routers but all of my wifi device (including my new Panasonic TV plasma), can connect to the network without issue.

Thanks in advance,
bzabber

I wasn't going to pay $$$ for teh adapter so I bought an old Linksys router off ebay for $20 and loaded it with DD-WRT which is a third party firmware that will work in most routers. It allows the router to work as a bridge - I actually have 4 routers now in my set up.

Anyway, hooked up the 53 to the router and it works like a charm.

FYI for those thinking of buying that Pioneer dongle. Plus, I now have my Sonos and PS3 plugged into the router rather than working wirelessly.
post #223 of 1576 Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Hi StevefromMD

Quote:

I wasn't going to pay $$$ for the adapter so I bought an old Linksys router off ebay for $20 and loaded it with DD-WRT which is a third party firmware that will work in most routers. It allows the router to work as a bridge - I actually have 4 routers now in my set up.

Such as this...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...reless-bridge/

So in essence you are using the Ebay Linksys Router as a Wireless Bridge to connect the Pioneer to the Web rather than use the Wireless LAN Converter AS-WL300.

I will probably try that myself because my E53 is in the living room where I have no cabling, the HP HTPC Computer that I also use in the Living Room came with WiFi built in.
My main Belkin N1 Router is in my bedroom, this will now let me connect the E53 to the Net and do it inexpensively.

I looked on the Web page that I attached, that lists both Compatible Routers and Incompatible Routers that can be used with the DD-WRT firmware.
As a Follow up-Which Linksys Router did you use and how did you Flash the Firmware to it?

Thanks very much for the FYI!

Have a Great Weekend!

Bud B
post #224 of 1576 Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Can I use a Linksys Bridge to connect the VSX-52 wirelessly to my network or do you have to buy the pioneer adapter?
post #225 of 1576 Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 PM

hi!

can i play FLAC from usb stick or streaming from PC with the vsx-53?
thanks
post #226 of 1576 Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 PM

I have a switch in my cabinet that all my devices connect to. So having a dedicated wifi adapter on any of my devices would be silly. BD player, TV, Roku Soundbridge, Wii, and VSX-53 all hit the switch. If you have a wireless router, you are definitely better off I think. You probably get get bridge mode without the custom firmware.

Signature.
post #227 of 1576 Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzabber View Post

Bud B,

I haven't tried that yet but I know the page you're referring to. I've seen a few posts on on either easy or difficult it was to setup but that's about it. Once I figure it out I'll post what I did.

It should be straight forward one would think.

Thanks Bud B, stay tuned.

bzabber

Bud B,

I did follow the instructions on page 23 and I did follow the steps on page 71. It seems that the adapter never comes out of a disconnected state but it does detect my wifi network when I do a site survey so it's odd it won't connect. I do have one of the draft N Linksys routers from when the 802.11n standard was just about ratified so I thought that might be the problem and I don't see it at all from the router.

I also updated the VSX-52's firmware via USB to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.

I haven't had any success in connecting it using a static IP either. I may be placing a call tomorrow to Pioneer's tech support to see if they can come up with any other suggestions short of shipping it back and getting refunded. :P

Would Apple's Airport Express or Linksys WET610N be a better route to take?

Bzabber
post #228 of 1576 Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Hey guys, I have the vsx-50 but the question should be generic through out the threads....

I have an old pair of pioneer HPM-900 from the 80's. These things are big and loud. How can I wire them into this vsx-50 say on speaker B? I currently have them on the front right and left but it's lacking the bass. Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #229 of 1576 Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Hi StevefromMD

Such as this...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...reless-bridge/

So in essence you are using the Ebay Linksys Router as a Wireless Bridge to connect the Pioneer to the Web rather than use the Wireless LAN Converter AS-WL300.

I will probably try that myself because my E53 is in the living room where I have no cabling, the HP HTPC Computer that I also use in the Living Room came with WiFi built in.
My main Belkin N1 Router is in my bedroom, this will now let me connect the E53 to the Net and do it inexpensively.

I looked on the Web page that I attached, that lists both Compatible Routers and Incompatible Routers that can be used with the DD-WRT firmware.
As a Follow up-Which Linksys Router did you use and how did you Flash the Firmware to it?

Thanks very much for the FYI!

Have a Great Weekend!

Bud B

I bought a old WRT-54G2 (Version 1) and used TFTP which is on the DD-WRT site to flash it.

Do your research. It is different with each router. For mine, you have to first load a kill program to the router and then the DD-WRT. This wan't the first time for me, I have three bridges now so it took me literally 10 mins to flash and 3 mins to set it up as a bridge.

Everything you need is at the DD-WRT site.
post #230 of 1576 Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A Dionne View Post

Can I use a Linksys Bridge to connect the VSX-52 wirelessly to my network or do you have to buy the pioneer adapter?

Yes, hardwire your VSX to a bridged router. You do not need the megabuck Pioneer dongle adapter thing.

Works like a dream and you can hook up any other devices that need access - I have my PS3 and one of my Sonos Zone Players wired up to it.

Upstairs, I have another one with a TV, BluRay, and 2 Sonos boxes

On the top floor I have anothe BluRay player and a SOnos box all wired.

The three bridges all talk to my main router which has nothing plugged into it lol.
post #231 of 1576 Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Is just purchased the vsx 52! Awesome. I have a a samsung 46' 3d borderless tv. The trouble I'm having is when the amp is off/stdby I have no picture. Everything is hooked up with hdmi and hdmi control on. What am I missing. I'm sure it's something easy that I have overlooked.
post #232 of 1576 Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 AM

Does the VSX-52-53 allow for Airplay steaming into different zones? I would like to hear the audio on my outdoor kitchen area which will soon be my Yamaha RX 995 (no hdmi) i'm using now, but also listing to it on the VSX in the main room. I'm also looking at the AppleTV b/c it has video. I'll be running a 50FT Shielding RCA cable from one of the zone outs, and 50FT HDMI cable to the TV out there from the second HDMI port on the VSX. The HDMI will go straight to the TV and the RCA's to the yamaha. This leads me to my second question, if it's HDMI out then I have read that analog audio via my RCA's will not be converted. Besides getting a HDMI extractor someone mentioned in another post, could i run the HDMI to the Outdoor TV (Visio 42" 1080P) , then from the TV, using the fiber optic out, run it back to the RX995 input for TV sound? Sounds confusing...:-).

I'm test driving a Sony STRA-DA4600ES now that was on clearance at Best Buy, I got it for $499, originally $1499, so i couldn't resists, but i'm running into some limitations with it, e.g. Multizone can't play what is being played in the main room, iPhone app does not work, and in standby it runs very hot and sucks up 80watts, presumably because of the 4 port Ethernet. Even though it sounds pretty good, I think I would rather spend the extra $$ for the PIO.
post #233 of 1576 Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM

The information about authorized dealers is confusing. Why does the Pioneer website list Amazon as an authorized online dealer, in that case?
post #234 of 1576 Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi guys. Was wondering if anyone has listened to the VSX-52 vs.The Integra 40.3 If so, what do you think? Thanks.
post #235 of 1576 Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc41 View Post

Is just purchased the vsx 52! Awesome. I have a a samsung 46' 3d borderless tv. The trouble I'm having is when the amp is off/stdby I have no picture. Everything is hooked up with hdmi and hdmi control on. What am I missing. I'm sure it's something easy that I have overlooked.

If you are running your inputs through the 52 it has to be on to pass them to the TV. No power to 52 no TV.
post #236 of 1576 Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

If you are running your inputs through the 52 it has to be on to pass them to the TV. No power to 52 no TV.

Are you sure about that? Its supposed to have HDMI passthrough.

Signature.
post #237 of 1576 Old 10-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Hi dkamens2,

You asked,
Quote:

The information about authorized dealers is confusing. Why does the Pioneer website list Amazon as an authorized online dealer, in that case?

Because Amazon IS an Authorized "On-Line Dealer."
For everything except Elite's!
The Elites cannot be purchased On-Line from anyone or the Warranty is Void.
However some will do it and then purchase a third party Warranty.

The Pioneer website on the Elites states:
Quote:

*Pioneer does NOT authorize any dealers to sell Elite-branded products on the Internet (only in-store sales are permitted). Therefore, any Elite-branded product purchased on the Internet is NOT authorized, which means that it does NOT carry the manufacturer's limited warranty and does not qualify for any manufacturer's rebate.

Web Page Link to this is here:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ternet+Dealers

I hope that helps ease your confusion...most Pioneer products are available On-Line, but just make sure that it is a Pioneer On-Line Authorized retailer.
Sometimes on Amazon you will see a product that states that is being sold on Amazon via a selected dealer "Not Amazon Direct" this is where it can get hairy!
Yes you purchased it through Amazon but not From Amazon!

You can see this for a Pioneer VSX 1021:
Quote:

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Or you could see this for a Pioneer Elite VSX 53:
Quote:

Ships from and sold by, "Your Deal"

In the first one your receipt would be from Amazon.com and that's OK with Pioneer.
In the second one your receipt would be from: "Your Deal" not Amazon and Very much NOT OK for Pioneer!
Amazon is just the middle man if you will for the "Your Deal" Purchase.
Amazon may be directing you to this vendor but wants you to clearly know..It's "Your Deal!" LOL Buyer Beware!

Later,

Bud B
post #238 of 1576 Old 10-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Hi dnoyeB,

You said,
Quote:

Are you sure about that? Its supposed to have HDMI passthrough.

In those words sits the 650 pound Gorilla in the room or the $64,000.00 dollar question!
It seems that no one (in here) has actually gotten the "HDMI Pass Through" to work! LOL!
I have mentioned calling Pioneer and specifically asking them, What's up with this new HDMI Pass-Through because I can't figure it out!
Plus I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 53 and the Pioneer Kuro Plasma HDTV, so I am ALL Pioneer and I still have not gotten it to work.

However in my defense...I would NEVER have my Kuro ON without the Elite VSX 53 being on! What's the point of that?!
I did not buy the E53 to listen to my TV Speakers in a Pass Through situation!
Not to mention that the Sound Bar that sits under and used to be connected to my Pioneer Kuro, is now my Center Channel Speaker from the E53, which really works and Sounds Great!
But because of that I do not even have a Speaker connected to my Plasma anymore.

The only time that I have really seen discussions about HDMI Pass-Through in here, was to be used so the Wife could be able to turn on the TV, without the receiver and watch regular TV and not complain because she is Technically Challenged and cannot figure out that new Fangled Receiver!
"I just want to Watch TV Bla Bla Bla!"
I heard this for the first time when I was at my Brothers helping him set up his new receiver, his wife (My Wonderful & Loving Sister In Law) complained the whole time..
Quote:

"I don't want all that Stuff, I just want to be able to turn on my TV and Watch it! Grrrr!

My Brother,
Quote:

But Honey, it will be so much nicer when you can hear it through these speakers, and it will be so easy to do......."

LOL!
My Poor Brother had no chance of Winning that Argument and just looked at me, I tried to give him the look on my face like, "Don't Worry Brother, I understand ...Trust me, I really Understand!"
I even tried to put my best spin on it, but with a look, I knew.."Don't Go There!" LOL
God, I thought, please just get me back to my E53 and my Wonderful Surround! LOL!
I am obviously not Married but in blissful Divorce status with no kids.
When Girlfriends are over, I have the Controls! LOL!

So, anyway that's my HDMI Pass-Through Story!
If you do call Pioneer and get it worked out...Please share it with the others in here, so far I don't need it!
If my relationship status changes though, I may need to get it worked out! LOL! God, I Crack myself Up!

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #239 of 1576 Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 AM

I just bought a vsx-52, and I cannot figure out how to get the HDMI input to default to my cable box when powering on everything. I have tried different hdmi input ports to plug the cable box into, but none seem to "stick" the next time I power on. I have to use the input selector on the 52 remote to select the hdmi port the cable box is plugged into. Any help here?

John Groves
post #240 of 1576 Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyeB View Post

I figured out the IR input pinout. Its a stereo input.

The sleeve or the base part of the connector is the ground.
The ring or middle part of the connector carries the IR signal.
The tip, I don't know what it's for but I'm not using it. I don't see any voltage on it.

Using the IR in on the back, I no longer have the issue of the receiver getting confused by receiving 1 IR signal directly and 1 from the IR blaster.

Happy Camper.

What ir system are u using that works with the rear input?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors