Old 10-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi jgroves1945,

Quote:

I just bought a vsx-52, and I cannot figure out how to get the HDMI input to default to my cable box when powering on everything. I have tried different hdmi input ports to plug the cable box into, but none seem to "stick" the next time I power on. I have to use the input selector on the 52 remote to select the hdmi port the cable box is plugged into. Any help here?

If each time you turn on your E52 and it goes to "TV/SAT" then you probably have HDMI Control on.
Switch "HDMI Control" OFF and it should then turn on to whatever your last Input selection was when you turned the E52 OFF.

Good Luck,

Bud B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
I have a VSX-50 but since there's no thread for that, I'll try my luck here. It seems like a simple problem.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have the video and audio be on two different sources. I want to watch TV from the DTV box and listen to Sirius. It seems that because I'm running the DTV box through the receiver, the picture/video source feed stops when I switch to listen to Sirius.

Any ideas? The manual is wholly unhelpful.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 PM

Hoping to get some advice, insight and recommendation on the Pioneer vsx 50 and 52

At the moment I have a an old pioneer d709s that I have been using to power 2 front JBL Studio 312, a JBL studio center and some crappy Sony B1000 for the rears (i plan on upgrading them soon). The Pioneer d709s is rated at 100w per channel but only at 1khz range, im unsure for the 20 - 20 as its not specified in the manual. Id like to stick with pioneer, my current receiver has lasted 8 years and is still going strong but im planning to use that in another bedroom. Right now Im trying to decide between the Pio elite vsx-50 or the vsx-52.

So far differences Ive noticed are preouts, upgraded amp and video processing. Im wondering if its really worth the extra money for the preouts which im not sure if I need for my speakers. Also there is a 20 watt upgrade in the amp, Im not sure if thats worth the upgrade either. Also I have a question about the direct energy amp. The Vsx-50 is listed to have a Direct Energy Amp while the vsx-52 is listed to have an Advanced Direct Energy. What is the difference between these two types?

Another difference I have noticed is the video processing. The 52 has Marvell Qdeo and the 50 has Anchor Bay, is there a big difference between these two to warrant the upgrade.

I really just want to make sure im not going to be underpowering my jbl studios with the vsx-50 and suffer clipping during certain loud scenes of movies. I dont listen to music or movies very loudly as this setup is going to be in a relatively small bedroom, my optimal distance from the TV will be around 12 feet. The Jbl's have a 92db sensitivity, from what Ive read online this means that I will need less watts to power them to achieve the same volume as a less sensitive speaker.

Im sorry if most of these questions seem dumb, thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks. I got a refurbished Linksys bridge and it works great. Internet radio is pretty neat although I have only listened to a couple of stations. Nice to be able to listen to music on my network server through my VSX-52.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Blackwaltz,

You asked,
Quote:

Hoping to get some advice, insight and recommendation on the Pioneer vsx 50 and 52

The best thing that I would have you do if you have not done so already is to go to the Pioneer Website and Compare the VSX 50 to the VSX 52..
The Link is here..

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

To hit a few items..

Handheld and Internet:
1) Pandora, Rhapsody and Sirius / Not listed for the VSX 50
2) FLAC 192kHz / VSX 50 has 96kHz.
3) USB Formats: WAV, MP3, WMA, iPod Digital, JPEG / VSX 50 does not show the iPod Digital.

Decoders & Formats:
4) THX™ Certification: Select 2 Plus / VSX 50 is not THX Certified

Soundfield Calibration
There are no Differences between the VSX 50 and the VSX 52

Listening Modes:
5) Optimum Surround / Not listed for the VSX 50 ( I usually Use ALC but it is there if I needed it)
6) Virtual Depth / Not listed for the VSX 50

Audio Features:
7) Tone Control: Multi-Channel / VSX 50 is 2 Channel ( I cannot Compare because I do not have a VSX 50)

Video Processing:
8) Video Scaler: Marvell Qdeo up to 1080p / 24fps / VSX 50: Anchor Bay up to 1080p (Again I have not seen these side by side.)
I have seen Good Things written about the Marvell Qdeo Video Processing and not just from Pioneer, other receivers also use Marvell Qdeo.
I will say that I did notice an Improvement in my Kuro's display when I connected the Pioneer in Line and I have read this in previous post in this thread.
But again, I do not have the VSX 50 to compare to.
9) Video Parameter Adjustments for the VSX 52: Advanced Video Adjust - HD Sources Progressive Motion - YNR, CNR, BNR, MNR, Detail, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Black level
9) Video Parameter Adjustments for the VSX 50: Advanced Video Adjust - SD Sources Progressive Motion - YNR, Detail, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Black level

Connectivity:
10) HDMI Input / Output: VSX 52 has 7 In / 1 Out / VSX 50 has 4 In / 1 Out
11) Composite A/V Input / Output: VSX 52: 4 In / 1 Out / VSX 50: 5 In / 1 Out
12) Analog Audio Inputs / Output: VSX 52: 2 In / VSX 50: 2 In / 1 Out
13) Digital Inputs / Output: VSX 52: 5 In / 1 Out / VSX 50: 3 In / 1 Out
14) Pre-Amp Outputs: 7.1 Channel (9.2 Terminals) / VSX 50: .1 (Sub) You spoke about this, I do not use the Pre-Outs but I guess I have the option in the future.
15) Front A/V Inputs: VSX 52: HDMI / USB / Composite Video / VSX 50: USB / Composite A/V

Installation:
16) Zone 2 Sources: VSX 52: DVD / TV / Sat / DVR / Video / Home Media Gallery / iPod USB / CD / Tuner / Adapter Port / Sirius
16) Zone 2 Sources: VSX 50: DVD / TV / Sat / DVR / Video / CD / Tape / Tuner / Adapter Port / Sirius
17) Multi-Zone On-Screen Display: VSX 52: Yes / VSX 50: No

Lastly which is actually listed first is Power:
18) Amplifier Design: VSX 52: Advanced Direct Energy / VSX 50: Direct Energy (I am not sure what the Advanced Is)
19) Power Output: Watts per Channel: VSX 52: 110 x 7 (20 Hz - 20 kHz) / VSX 50: 90 x 7 (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (Not a huge difference of 20 Watts)

There is also the Product Sheets:
The correct progression would be to go from the VSX 50 to the VSX 51 and Then the VSX 52, because each Product Sheet shows in BOLD the Differences or Advancements if you will,
from the previous model. So the VSX 51 will show the changes from the VSX 50 and the VSX 52 will show the changes made from the VSX 51.....
Have a look...

The VSX 50:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

The VSX 51:
The VSX 52:

Hopefully this will help you and others that are in the same place as you are.
You just need to decide if any of the changes from one model to another is something that you would use and like to have, compared to the increased cost.
It is a Trade Off!
If you were to ask me if the VSX 52 is worth the extra $300.00 from the VSX 50, I would of course say YES!
I have the VSX 53, which is $500.00 more than the VSX 50, because I thought that the VSX 53 was almost twice the receiver of the VSX 50.
The Looks alone are worth $100.00 more, C'mon, the front Pull Down Door! LOL!

Good Luck on your Search..
I am very Happy with my VSX 1020 (Bedroom) and VSX 53 (Living Room) and you just need to be happy on your final decision as well.

Bud B
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi Blackwaltz,

You asked,

The best thing that I would have you do if you have not done so already is to go to the Pioneer Website and Compare the VSX 50 to the VSX 52..
The Link is here..

Yeah Ive taken a look at the website and done the comparison, what ive seen that really stands out is the watts per channel, video processor, thx certification and advanced direct energy.

Do you know the difference between direct energy and advanced direct energy, I know neither of these are class d amps but im trying to figure out if this difference warrants the extra money when paired with the speakers I have. Thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Wow thank you very much for the detailed comparison, quite a bit to think about, I think at the moment I am leaning toward the 50 but i'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks again

P.S. I have to agree with you about those looks though, the pull down door is nice lol
Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Hi again,
Quote:

i'll have to give it some more thought.

It really comes down to what you need from your receiver.
When I was at the local Best Buy Magnolia store where the Elites are located.
I told the Salesman that the next step is to have each receiver be able to connect to an HDTV, so you can see the quality or lack thereof of the Video as well as the GUI from the receiver.

In their Receiver / Speaker Studio room, they had Avatar playing on a 50" HDTV, but the only thing that you could do from receiver to receiver, was to switch around to different speakers!
That was fine in the old days when there was just Audio Receivers, but today is the day of the A/V Audio/Video receivers!
You should be able to SEE the Video as well as HEAR the Audio!

Later,

Bud B
Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

What ir system are u using that works with the rear input?

Anyone successfully getting an ir system to work w the rear ir input?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Winston9332,

Go back to page 7 and about the 8th post down from "dnoyeb"
he starts a discussion on a IR Blaster...Then you can read the posts forward from there....

Quote:

I have a VSX-52. I am trying to use an IR repeater.
I can not get the IR in port on the back of the receiver to accept and act on the data I send to it. Strangely, if I put an IR Emitter in the receivers IR out port, and dangle that emitter in front of the receiver, it will accept the signals.
So the IR signal is going into the receiver, but not used, then that same signal I can send out the IR out port and it works!?!
Why does the receiver refuse to act on the signal? Its like its locked in on the front sensor and refuses to acknowledge the input on the back.

Then on page 8 about 11 posts down his last post on it, he says...

Quote:

I figured out the IR input pinout. Its a stereo input.
The sleeve or the base part of the connector is the ground.
The ring or middle part of the connector carries the IR signal.
The tip, I don't know what it's for but I'm not using it. I don't see any voltage on it.
Using the IR in on the back, I no longer have the issue of the receiver getting confused by receiving 1 IR signal directly and 1 from the IR blaster.
Happy Camper.

I'm not sure if that will help you or not...

Good Luck,

Bud B
Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Well HOLLY CRAP !!!!!!!

Thanks Bud B,, after getting on here and doing more research for my next avr , I almost made a BIG boo boo!

See I like the Idea of what Pionner has to offer in the Elite line, and I found a killer deal for a E52 @ $619 shipped, new.

From a Amazon dealer!

Well Crap.

I have also looked into the Onkyo 609, found it online new for $379 shipped.

Then read about all the crap people have with these on here!

Well now im back to the drawing board!

I want to have a new avr with hdmi connects to replace my non hdmi Yamaha, that I have had for 11 years with ZERO Issues!!!

I just want to have better sound with hdmi, along with what im missing playing BlueRays.

And more than that I want to use my Android or Iphone to play Pandora or Sirius thru my cell phone! I dont have internet or a pc at home. But I did more homeowrk and found out I can get a network at home and have all the features that this beloved Pioneer offers!

But nope! And Iam very very iffy about getting onboard with a Onkyo 609!! I dont need those Fing headaches! No way

I want a good quality avr to play pandora and sirius and Rhapsady, ect.

I have found Integra, which is a upper brand of Onkyo. Its a 20.3. I cant get it for $540,, 3 yr warrenty. I only need a 5.1 , as Im not looking to o any more than that.

My system is......

Vandersteen 1B's 15 yrs old and perfect
Klipsch rear speakers mounted and wired in wall
Blose front speaker
Paradiam 10" Sub.

Can one of you please point me in the right direction for a trouble free quality avr that will last me as long as my perfect Yamaha?

And also, can android cell phones plug into all these avr's as easy as iphones can? All I see is Iphone friendly ones ,,, umm I did just pick up the new
4s Iphone, pretty much for this reason,,, but man I miss my htc EVO!

Thanks a bunch in advance!!!!!!

Looking at $500-$600. Aslo Looking at buying online AND NOT HAVING MY WARRENTY VOIDED!!!

Wow,,,, thanks for the BIG heads UP Bud B!!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post

Well HOLLY CRAP !!!!!!!

Thanks Bud B,, after getting on here and doing more research for my next avr , I almost made a BIG boo boo!

See I like the Idea of what Pionner has to offer in the Elite line, and I found a killer deal for a E52 @ $619 shipped, new.

From a Amazon dealer!

Well Crap.

I have also looked into the Onkyo 609, found it online new for $379 shipped.

Then read about all the crap people have with these on here!

Well now im back to the drawing board!

I want to have a new avr with hdmi connects to replace my non hdmi Yamaha, that I have had for 11 years with ZERO Issues!!!

I just want to have better sound with hdmi, along with what im missing playing BlueRays.

And more than that I want to use my Android or Iphone to play Pandora or Sirius thru my cell phone! I dont have internet or a pc at home. But I did more homeowrk and found out I can get a network at home and have all the features that this beloved Pioneer offers!

But nope! And Iam very very iffy about getting onboard with a Onkyo 609!! I dont need those Fing headaches! No way

I want a good quality avr to play pandora and sirius and Rhapsady, ect.

I have found Integra, which is a upper brand of Onkyo. Its a 20.3. I cant get it for $540,, 3 yr warrenty. I only need a 5.1 , as Im not looking to o any more than that.

My system is......

Vandersteen 1B's 15 yrs old and perfect
Klipsch rear speakers mounted and wired in wall
Blose front speaker
Paradiam 10" Sub.

Can one of you please point me in the right direction for a trouble free quality avr that will last me as long as my perfect Yamaha?

And also, can android cell phones plug into all these avr's as easy as iphones can? All I see is Iphone friendly ones ,,, umm I did just pick up the new
4s Iphone, pretty much for this reason,,, but man I miss my htc EVO!

Thanks a bunch in advance!!!!!!

Looking at $500-$600. Aslo Looking at buying online AND NOT HAVING MY WARRENTY VOIDED!!!

Wow,,,, thanks for the BIG heads UP Bud B!!!!!

If the price is cheap enough, don't worry about the Pioneer warranty and instead get your warranty from Squaretrade. That is what I did. You will probably still be ahead $100 to $150 bucks. Besides, if the AMP is going to be defective, it will probably be so immediately, and in that case, you can just return it most likely to the person you bought it from. Amazon protects you in that case.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Learning more ,,, i guess that goes for any brand if its sold buy an non authorized dealer ,, no warrenty. This guy even said that , if its sold under msrp, they can non warrenty the item.

He did offer me a 4 year warrenty from CPS for $129. He said then it gets sent to a Pioneer repair shop. And that is how Pioneer fixes broken Elites.

619+129 = 750.......... Thats not as good a deal as I thought.

That Integra 20.3 is looking better and better at $540.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Silvrevo,

Just an FYI, you should download the OP Manual of the VSX 52 and the Integra 20.3 and compare features.

Since you are such an Apple fan, the 20.3 does not have:
1) Air Play (which people seem to really like)
2) iPad and iPad2 (the 20.3 does not offer the iPad and again people say that using the iPad's and the Pioneers is the Bomb!)

Also you need to get to the 40.3 before you get Zone 2 Video, which the VSX 51, 52 and 53 has.

Quote:

He said then it gets sent to a Pioneer repair shop. And that is how Pioneer fixes broken Elites.

I would be concerned about this, if an Elite is sold On-Line or from a non Authorized dealer, the Warranty is Void.
Does this dealer have an actual Brick and Morter facility where they say you bought it from and you can call Pioneer and ask them or check thier website as to their Authorized Status.
But again there are third party Warranty companies.

Another thing that I see mentioned with the Onkyo and Integra using Audyessy, is that you cannot go in afterwards and literally change every setting.
The Elite VSX 52 and many other Pioneers via MCACC lets you Manually Tweak it's setting's.
I believe from the quick look that I saw of the 20.3 OP Manual is that you have Sub changes that can be made but not much other.

If you read through some posts you will find this.

The Integra may be the "Bomb" for you...and Holy Crap as you say! LOL
BUT...make sure that you are comparing Apples to Apples!

Some Links...
Review..
http://www.slashgear.com/pioneer-eli...more-08157966/

VSX 52 OP Manual...
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions051911.pdf

VSX 52 Videos..Over View... There is also a Video for "iControlAV2 for Android"
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ceivers/VSX-52

Integra 20.3 OP Manual...
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...26a9111c4b6165

Good Luck,

Bud B
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hi again Silvrevo,
This is from RexCarson in the MCACC Thread...
Quote:

Thumbs up MCACC over Audyssey, Yep, I've found not everybody is happy with Auto-EQ of *any* type.
That's a BIG reason why I much prefer MCACC over Audyssey based receivers.

Why Pioneer and MCACC over Audyssey equipped receivers like Onkyo and Denon? Here's why:

Quote:

On the Audyssey equipped system, you can run an Audyssey EQ setup to provide room & speaker calibration using Audyssey filters which provide much higher resolution than a simple EQ. Of course, there are plenty of complaints on the Audyssey thread and elsewhere from people stating that Audyssey isn't getting things right... too much bass, or too little, or too much high-end roll-off, etc. Well, fortunately, to make adjustments for that, you can switch to manual, and tweak your settings with 5 or 7 bands of EQ, sometimes 9 bands as with a 1909, so you can imagine I was pretty excited about the possibilities. I like to tune the EQ when listening to different content/sources, so this would be the best combination of auto room correction combined with my manual EQ tweaks. Heaven right? Unfortunately, NO!! The devil is in the details, and you can verify what I'm about to say from the Denon 1909 manual among others (even in the Audyssey & Denon 1909 threads, and the Audyssey FAQ.) If I was to do what I just told you, and tweak the EQ setting to my tastes or depending on the content, I would LOSE all Audyssey filters, calibrations, and correction, along with losing Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume capabilities when using a manually tweaked EQ. All you are left with is a basic graphic EQ which provides no room correction and will not address issues in the time domain. Why is that you ask? Because you must switch from Audyssey mode to Manual mode to make ANY EQ adjustment. Suddenly, hundreds of time domain Audyssey correction filters lost! And as if that wasn't bad enough, you cannot configure more than one custom EQ preset, so if you want to change it, you have to go into setup, and change it manually for each and every channel/speaker. Again, you will lose all Audyssey capabilities and will not have Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume capabilities by making any changes to the EQ. OK, so you decide you will leave Audyssey EQ set rather than making your preferred EQ tweak, because you want the Audyssey room & speaker calibration, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume capabilities, and you decide you will just use bass/treble controls to adjust the tone to your preference. Another big problem here. Not only does this limit your tweaking to a couple broad frequency ranges, but if you are using Audyssey Dynamic EQ, you can NOT adjust the tone controls either! You will run into the same limitations on other receivers with Audyssey outside of high end stuff using the expensive Audyssey Pro kit and license, which still doesn't make it quick and easy to tweak your EQ curves. Audyssey doesn't want you to be able to tweak the EQ/tone to the content, your hearing, or your tastes.

Compare that to the Pioneer 1018, or the VSX-01TXH. The Pioneer lets you run MCACC on your room environment as a starting point, and then make tweaks to the MCACC settings using 9 bands of EQ, and save this to a an MCACC preset. Not just 1, but 6 MCACC/EQ presets that you can preconfigure! And you can switch between the 6 presets quickly during playback as desired. Unlike Audyssey equipped systems, you still retain your full MCACC calibration & room correction in the time domain. You do not lose functionality of the DRC (Dynamic Range Compression), mightnight, dialogue enhancement, Auto Level Control, THX Loudness Plus, or what have you. Of course, you still have phase control, standing wave control, bass management, etc as well. And from what I understand, the tone controls are still available, although manually tweaking the EQ is much more precise anyway. So if you like to control or tweak your sound, even if just a little bit, in addition to the automatic room & speaker calibration, environmental acoustic correction in the time domain, and without losing other functionality on your receiver, you are much better off with Pioneer and MCACC. Pioneer VSX-1018 and all of the current Elite models are the only ones that handle this the way the tweakers prefer and lets you have the "final" word on how it sounds after all the auto room EQ & calibration has run. Now, finally a match made in heaven.

Now I can just kick back and relax to some great calibrated & tweaked audio just to my liking

The MCACC thread Link is here..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1112470&page=9

MCACC Page One
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112470

You may also want to check the Audyessy thread here.. (There are over a thousand pages.)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

You want info..You got Info..
This should keep you busy for awhile! LOL!

It's just that the Pioneer and Onkyo-Integra-Denon..do things very different from each other!
It is definitely not Apples to Apples as far as setup is concerned!

Also do yourself a favor and find a Best Buy Magnolia store or a dedicated AV Store in your area and go see these in person and listen to them..Get a "Hands On!"

Later,

Bud B
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM

That is the main reason I prefer MCACC and why I own a Pioneer.

Signature.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Help! I purchased an Elite 52 over the weekend, and my HSU Enthusiast system came in and I've tried running Full Auto MCACC. After the setup completed, EVERYTHING appears to be much more quiet. The receiver isn't showing the full 5.1 system on the front either. Also, my gigantic subwoofer isnt even outputting any bass! Any thoughts as to why the levels are so significantly lowered?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hi jch1,
Quote:

Subwoofer isnt even outputting any bass! Any thoughts as to why the levels are so significantly lowered?

When you setup your E52 did you set your Speakers to "Small"?
If they are set to Large then they will take your Sub's Levels.

In a post above I added a link to the Owners MCACC Thread, you should start on page one and scan through it.
You should be able to find answers to every question that you have.
You will probably need to do your MCACC over again but do some reading first.

Good Luck and Congrats on your VSX 52 purchase.

Bud B
Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi jch1,

When you setup your E52 did you set your Speakers to "Small"?
If they are set to Large then they will take your Sub's Levels.

In a post above I added a link to the Owners MCACC Thread, you should start on page one and scan through it.
You should be able to find answers to every question that you have.
You will probably need to do your MCACC over again but do some reading first.

Good Luck and Congrats on your VSX 52 purchase.

Bud B

Hey Bud-

The first thing I made sure of was that the speakers were set to THX, thus being the small setting. When running MCACC, it told me that I needed to turn the subwoofer level down, so I did. Maybe I'll just re-run MCACC. Any idea why I can't modify any settings post-MCACC? Should I not do the Full Auto mode?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Furthermore, I have found the page with all the 'speaker settings,' but they will not allow me to modify anything (e.g. changing the speaker size or x-over).
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

I know that it seems strange but when you go into Manual MCACC and you click on something that you would like to change, it seems as though it is going to do the whole test over
but it just starts and then lets you go in and manually make the adjustments.

I would really check out the MCACC Thread, I know that no one wants to actually "Read" the Owners Manual or Read a MCACC Thread but in the long run it will ease your frustration
and give you good results and that is after all what you want.
I would also jump around in the thread until you see a discussion that relates to you.
Because the Thread is so old most of the links at the beginning don't work.

I have never done the THX MCACC because I do not have THX speakers.
And yes try it without the full Auto Mode.

What I did with my VSX 1020 and my new VSX 52 was to set the Reference mic close to where my head or listening area was going to be.
I also tried it in the center towards the back part of my room, where people would sit, but I think that if that gets too close to a rear wall for instance, then the reverbs from the wall may play with the reference mic.
It is easy to try a few settings until you get one that you like.
I also leave the room while it is taking place or as in my living room I sat up my stairs and watched my Plasma and listened as it went through it's thing.

You will of course select your speaker setup and a big mistake that I made and others have as well is that your rear Surround speakers connect to the Surround Right and Left and not Surround BACK Left and Right.
Unless you actually have both Surround Sides and Back speakers.

The diagram on page 14 of the OP Manual is the best and it will show the Surround Left and Right and the Surround BACK are only used in 6.2 or a 7.2 setup,
but not in a 5.1 setup.

Once you get a pretty much satisfactory sound that could use a few tweaks, go into the Manual MCACC and play around.
Like speaker levels, you click it and like I said it seems to do the test with pink noise but stops and you can go in and actually adjust the dB for each speaker.
You can go into the EQ and because at this time I do not have a Sub, I raised the lower EQ's just a but to give some more Bass to my speakers.
My speakers in my living room are separated to my Left and Right corners rather than sitting right next to my HDTV and corners are a no - no.
When the MCACC was done, my Front Right speaker was always just a tad lower than my Front Left speaker, I went into the speaker levels and raised the volume just a bit on my Right speaker and now the separation is perfect!
It is little things like that that can be done with the Pioneer and the MCACC and not in Audyssey.

But the MCACC did it's job and overall everything was fine but a few tweaks.
If yours is really whacked then you will probably want to play with it a bit .
But the Mic placement is a big key as to the results that you will get.
Remember that there are 6 save points for the MCACC, so when you do it over you can start on say number 3 as an example and not overwrite your previous attempt, then you can compare these on the fly afterwards.

Good Luck,
Bud B
Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Thanks Bud- I actually am one who tends to read everything before setting everything up. I realized late last night that going into the manual settings allows you to maintain the MCACC calibration while adjusting levels. looks like this VTF3-MK4 was worth it!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,

Good to see that you are getting it worked out, I have bo doubt that you will get your system sounding Great!

Later,

Bud B
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Went to local BB and listened to the Elite 52 very very nice nice, thet had it for $899 a little over my budget, so I think if the VSX 1121 is simmilar i would be happy withn that, so now I'm off to search(online). Any one know where I can purchase the Elite 52 for under $899 from an authorized dealer. I can purchase today replacing an Onkyo 605.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2006 View Post

Went to local BB and listened to the Elite 52 very very nice nice, thet had it for $899 a little over my budget, so I think if the VSX 1121 is simmilar i would be happy withn that, so now I'm off to search(online). Any one know where I can purchase the Elite 52 for under $899 from an authorized dealer. I can purchase today replacing an Onkyo 605.

Unfortunately, there are no authorized Elite online dealers.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM

What about ones I could call and purchase over the phone?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:37 PM

on Amazon a VSX 52 can be purchased at a store front "your deal" for $679.00. Anyone have any thoughts going that route?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefromMD View Post

I wasn't going to pay $$$ for teh adapter so I bought an old Linksys router off ebay for $20 and loaded it with DD-WRT which is a third party firmware that will work in most routers. It allows the router to work as a bridge - I actually have 4 routers now in my set up.

Anyway, hooked up the 53 to the router and it works like a charm.

FYI for those thinking of buying that Pioneer dongle. Plus, I now have my Sonos and PS3 plugged into the router rather than working wirelessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefromMD View Post

I bought a old WRT-54G2 (Version 1) and used TFTP which is on the DD-WRT site to flash it.

Do your research. It is different with each router. For mine, you have to first load a kill program to the router and then the DD-WRT. This wan't the first time for me, I have three bridges now so it took me literally 10 mins to flash and 3 mins to set it up as a bridge.

Everything you need is at the DD-WRT site.

Hi All,

So after a few failed attempts at calling Pioneer Electronic Canada's Support number I finally got a hold of someone and they were very friendly and we walked through the scenarios I tried. He suggested finally that I try to setup the AS-WL300 closer to the Wifi AP. So I tried that and it worked. The strange thing is I had less signal strength moving close to the AP than when I was further away (go figure). The key thing is that it connected and I even hesitated on disconnecting it from my laptop when the window closed because the Site Survey showed that it was successfully connected so I'm not even sure if the timing of disconnecting it from the laptop made a difference.

The real test came after I connected it to the VSX-52. I turned off the receiver, plugged in the AS-WL300 and turned on the receiver and waited.

I went to the menu and checked the Network Information and I noticed that it had a valid IP from my home network, good so far. Next I check the IP configuration of the WLAN Adapter, this too was looking good (Still had the .249 address but I wasn't worried). Next I tried to update the firmware from the Internet, this was a good test to see if I could at least get out to the Internet. This too worked.

I haven't tried AirPlay yet but it doesn't work with iOS5 on my iPhone but I'll try iTunes this weekend and I can't get iControlAV2 to work despite entering in the right IP address, this will be my next challenge but the AS-WL300 now works.

Thanks for all your great suggestions folks.

-bzabber
Old 10-22-2011, 12:29 AM

I'm new to this forum and just got the pioneer VSX-52 about a week ago.
Had some question that I hope someone here can answer as I cannot seem to to find an answer to two issues I am having.
first one, is there any way to make is to the volume is more level? meaning that right now some parts are really soft and all of a sudden its loud.
second one, my DTV and plugged into the BDR/DRV and everytime I turn on the system it seems to go to the SAT/TV input instead. I cannot seem to find the setting to change this.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 AM

jag- sent you a PM. You can definitely get the 52 for well less than MSRP.