The Official Onkyo TX-NR1009 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 350 Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did you ever figure out how to get your lights to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 350 Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayfiend777 View Post

lion are u kidding right below the flipdown piece those dashes below each input lightup you didn't know that?

These I mean...
post #63 of 350 Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nope oh well I dim the front panel to one below the lowest setting anyway so all is good
post #64 of 350 Old 01-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Here's a review of the similar TX-NR809:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/recei...-receiver.html
post #65 of 350 Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 PM

Hey 1009 owners!,

Not that there seems to be many around?

Just picked up a 1009 for Christmas ... overall pretty please with the receiver! I mainly wanted a decent sounding 5.1 with powered zone 2 and zone 3 for kitchen / pool.

I paired it with some little Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.0 speakers and a chunky Yamaha Sub, plus some Yamaha outdoors and in ceilings for the zone 2/3.

I bought the receiver as an long overdue upgrade from my 68cm CRT and an Ipod Radio! ... So while I was at it I grabbed a Samsung D7000 55" LED TV, PS3 and Foxtel HD IQ2 cable, Merry Christmas to me!, and yes my wife tried to kill me.

It certainly does the job! (kids were stoked on Blueray Starwars over Christmas!), and im pretty much on top of my settings/config now (I think).

Only thing thats bugging me is the Zones and the delay or echo effect between zone 2/3 and the main zone. I know its related to the processing of the 5.1 zone ... and If I switch to direct it does go away ... but that just rubbish as my beautiful sub is wasted and the main zone just sounds bunk on direct out of 2 speakers. I have noted that the delay doesnt seem as bad on some config setting, like THX Music ... or other random attempts ... but maybe im just imagining things now.

Maybe I can hassle Onkyo to try and sort this in a firmware update?, i.e. if its even addressable in software? ... yeah right.

Overall I'm happy pretty happy with the all the gear to be honest, although each component has minor flaws that keep them from perfection ... what do you do.

Onkyo Android App is pretty awesome too!, I use it alot over the standard IR remote.

Anyway ... just thought I share and if anyone has any suggested settings or tweaks and tips for the Receiver/TV/PS3/Foxtel setup im all ears!

Thanks!

Cheers Rhett
post #66 of 350 Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had the 1009 since last July, running in a 9.2 config (front heights and rear surrounds), and it's been great. I have an external fan on it (plugged into rear USB port) and I have seen no significant heat from the unit. Still working on finishing my HT so I've only done a quick Audyssey calibration but I can't complain.

I love the 9-ch sound, especially for things like concerts where the crowd and ambience really sounds great. So far I have preferred the DSX modes over Neo:X for surround processing.
post #67 of 350 Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 AM

I second that! I'm running 5.1+ heights, and I prefer DSX too.

I've only had the receiver for three weeks, but I am enjoying it quite a bit!

I've only listened a little bit to the "Net" stations, but what I've heard I like. Most of the time my sources are: Blu-ray, Netflix streaming, and music and movies from my NAS drive.
post #68 of 350 Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem View Post

I've had the 1009 since last July, running in a 9.2 config (front heights and rear surrounds), and it's been great. I have an external fan on it (plugged into rear USB port) and I have seen no significant heat from the unit. Still working on finishing my HT so I've only done a quick Audyssey calibration but I can't complain.

I love the 9-ch sound, especially for things like concerts where the crowd and ambience really sounds great. So far I have preferred the DSX modes over Neo:X for surround processing.

I installed an external fan in by HDTV stand that is also connected to the 1009 via the USB port which really came in handy.

Note too that there are two fans on the bottom of the 1009.
post #69 of 350 Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Its runs cool for onkyo guess cause the dual fans !!! My old 705 I had plenty of ventilation but still every now an then the internal fan would turn on an man that thing would get hot but now no more worries
post #70 of 350 Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Home Theater Magazine just reviewed the TX-NR1009:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...rk-av-receiver

They praise it as much as the Elite SC-57 (keeping in mind that it is, rather, the Elite SC-55 the more obvious competitor specs and $$$$ wise), but if you compare their lab measurements the TX-NR1009 seems to hold the edge on audio clarity and fidelity, so maybe Pioneer's latest class D implementation is not yet good enough for primetime? The only obvious plus for these class D amps is their power consumption, at least as stated on the user manuals' spec sheets, but do they really only burn 370 watts of mains power to provide the same amount of amplification as the TX-NR1009 does while burning 830 watts?

I bought mine sight (and mayor reviews) unseen, and was a little worried that I had pulled the trigger too hastily after the fact (I later realized that the Elite SC-55 could have been a good purchase, too, and perhaps a better match to the dozen Pioneer SP-BS41-LR speakers I bought), but this review and the fact that I paid for the TX-NR1009 at least a full Benjamin less than what the Elite SC-55 would have cost me do reasure me that I did indeed made a good buy. Bugger that I still have not moved in to my new apartment so I have yet to begin to enjoy my new home theater ensamble, which has now spent 3 months packed in their boxes already...
post #71 of 350 Old 01-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Does anyone know how to get this reciever to default to CBL/SAT? Every time I turn mine on it goes to TV/CD and I'm not sure why?
post #72 of 350 Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetail View Post

Home Theater Magazine just reviewed the TX-NR1009:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...rk-av-receiver

They praise it as much as the Elite SC-57 (keeping in mind that it is, rather, the Elite SC-55 the more obvious competitor specs and $$$$ wise), but if you compare their lab measurements the TX-NR1009 seems to hold the edge on audio clarity and fidelity, so maybe Pioneer's latest class D implementation is not yet good enough for primetime? The only obvious plus for these class D amps is their power consumption, at least as stated on the user manuals' spec sheets, but do they really only burn 370 watts of mains power to provide the same amount of amplification as the TX-NR1009 does while burning 830 watts?

I bought mine sight (and mayor reviews) unseen, and was a little worried that I had pulled the trigger too hastily after the fact (I later realized that the Elite SC-55 could have been a good purchase, too, and perhaps a better match to the dozen Pioneer SP-BS41-LR speakers I bought), but this review and the fact that I paid for the TX-NR1009 at least a full Benjamin less than what the Elite SC-55 would have cost me do reasure me that I did indeed made a good buy. Bugger that I still have not moved in to my new apartment so I have yet to begin to enjoy my new home theater ensamble, which has now spent 3 months packed in their boxes already...

Thanks for the link! A nice review of our receiver.
post #73 of 350 Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Hey all

Just bought this beauty. I've placed this in an open tv stand on the bottom shelf . It clears top and bottom glass shelves by 1 inch. ? Is that enough air flow?
post #74 of 350 Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothbrave View Post

Hey all

Just bought this beauty. I've placed this in an open tv stand on the bottom shelf . It clears top and bottom glass shelves by 1 inch. ? Is that enough air flow?

I would say that 1" is not enough space for proper airflow. Onkyos guidance (see below) seems quite conservative but I would definitely leave more than 1" above the unit unless you have ventilation holes in the shelf above to allow warm air to escape.

Quote:

If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation, such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate ventilation. Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape.

post #75 of 350 Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM

Yeah I read that too and it seemed quite a bit of space needed. Just wondering if others have less that this and if it then runs hot.

I can't place the receiver any where else on the stand. How about running an external fan but where would be best to place it? Back, sides or on top of the receiver?
post #76 of 350 Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 PM

I'm thinking of either having a fan blow cool air acroos the top or reverse it and pull hot air away. Which is better? Plus will it be fine to use the usb port for an external fan ?
post #77 of 350 Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothbrave View Post

I'm thinking of either having a fan blow cool air acroos the top or reverse it and pull hot air away. Which is better? Plus will it be fine to use the usb port for an external fan ?

That's what I did. I got a fan from Coolerguys and plugged it into the rear USB port. I mounted the fan to a rear hole in my HDTV stand to pull air across and away, out from the stand. There are also cross sectional ventilation/cable holes to get hot air way from game consoles and a satellite DVR. Having the fan come on with the receiver works well for my setup as I use the receiver for everything anyway. As I've mentioned in a few post before, there are two fans on the bottom of the unit but I don't think they are meant to overcome small enclosures. Also note the recommended space is large but the smaller the space the hotter the unit will run.
post #78 of 350 Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Got a speedy reply back from Coolerguys and they recommended for my setup their blower fans such as this

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556094272.html paired with any of their power supplys.

Seems like a good option but how may would be enough? I'm thinking two. Where are the critical hot spots on the receiver ?
post #79 of 350 Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I used a similar setup with my previous receiver with two fans blowing out on top of it. I wired a AC converter to power them (didn't know about cooler guys at the time).
Worked VERY well for the receiver.

For the Onkyo I wanted large and quite. I went with:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090595.html
I got a few but installed just one for now to see if one is enough. So far it seems to be. Their similar dual fan mount would fit but I wanted more flexibility.

For the Onkyo, the center of the rear seems to get the hottest even at low volumes. As with most receivers, the higher the volume, the higher the power used and of course the hotter they get.
post #80 of 350 Old 02-02-2012, 01:48 PM

When was the 1009 released? When are the 2012 models releasing? I have only owned one Onkyo before and it had a slight hum that could be heard at low volume.Drove me nuts!So after alot of troubleshooting the tech said it was do to with a cheap power supply. I don't really belive that, but I sold it and bought a HK that has no hum in the same setup. So I would like to get this 1009 but am a little hesitant.
post #81 of 350 Old 02-04-2012, 07:47 AM

The power supply in the 1009 is pretty big, I don't think you need to worry about that. Mine doesn't hum in at all.
post #82 of 350 Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I used a similar setup with my previous receiver with two fans blowing out on top of it. I wired a AC converter to power them (didn't know about cooler guys at the time).
Worked VERY well for the receiver.

For the Onkyo I wanted large and quite. I went with:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090595.html
I got a few but installed just one for now to see if one is enough. So far it seems to be. Their similar dual fan mount would fit but I wanted more flexibility.

For the Onkyo, the center of the rear seems to get the hottest even at low volumes. As with most receivers, the higher the volume, the higher the power used and of course the hotter they get.

Thx Wesley,

I haven't picked up the fans yet as i'm not sure why a thermally controlled fan would be of benefit to me as I just want a fan to turn on for when the receiver is turned on (w/o me getting off the couch to do so).

I'm thinking a smart power strip would solve this but depends if I can get one cheap enough.

Another topic- what is the preferred method to updating the firmware? Usb or hardwired?
post #83 of 350 Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Coolerguys gives a USB powered option so you can connect any fan to the Onkyo's rear USB port. It will power the fan on and off with the receiver.

I've only used a hardwired gigabit connection for firmware updates. It's always worked so far (about 3 times since purchase). A couple of times it appeared to fail but retries worked correctly. USB will be more steps but should work just as well or better.

Here is another review of the receiver: click here

I wish this review had come out last summer instead of last month. My Sony 780 (I thought at the time) was putting out a dark image that I had to adjust in-player for (never had to adjust player settings before). Turns out it was the Onkyo and a firmware update fixed it. By that point, I had purchased two other Blu-ray players to test. Later, connecting the 780 back up, it worked fine. I never knew exactly how the dark image got fixed until reading this article.
post #84 of 350 Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM

I would consider the usb fan but is there a potential problem with using power from the receiver? One fan should be enough you think ?

thx
post #85 of 350 Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The fan I'm using is 120mm x 120mm x 25mm in size, consumes 3.5 - 5 VDC with 20 db of noise.

However, I do understand not using USB power based on what I just read in the manual under firmware updates.

Operation is not guaranteed for all devices which includes the ability to power them. (I assume that includes the iPod and iPhone too).

No worries with a fan about data loss but still makes you wonder if the USB standard is being fully followed and if not why.

Onkyo takes no responsibility whatsoever for the loss or damage of data resulting from the use of a USB device with the AV receiver. (again this is talking about firmware precautions but seems to include the iPod and iPhone also.)

If you connect a USB hard drive to the USB port, and Onkyo recommends that you use its AC adapter to power it. (again with the power)

USB fan - YMMV
post #86 of 350 Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM

I've been using the 1009 since July with a USB laptop cooling fan with no issues whatsoever. Barely even gets warm. Note that mine is currently not in a cabinet, it is on top of an old TV stand until I can get shelving built, so I have perfect airflow.
post #87 of 350 Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my fan later. It's been in use for at least 4 months without an issue.
post #88 of 350 Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM

discovered this morning that zone 3 will work with a bi-amped 5.1 setup. i'm not sure whether this is well-known or not, but after not being able to decipher exactly what the description in the manual meant, i spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it out online without being able to get any clarity.

i finally looking at the settings menu and seeing that, although zone 2 was greyed out, zone 3 was selectable. oddly, it doesn't allow certain control (like selecting anything in spotify with the android remote - you have to go through the main zone menu to select). so, my one gripe with this receiver has been resolved. pretty happy with the upgrade from my previous tx-sr606.
post #89 of 350 Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Well I'm excited to say I'm a new owner of the 1009! I think I did pretty good on it too. 1150 CAN. What do you guys think?
post #90 of 350 Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 AM

1200 CAN here. Under a grand would be a steal but considering I won't need to upgrade for some time
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page