AVS Forum banner

The Official Onkyo TX-NR1009 Thread

50K views 356 replies 86 participants last post by  ebefspz 
#1 ·
I haven't seen any threads about the TX-NR1009 so im going to start one.

It looks like everybody went for the 809.

Question for the owners of the NR-1009.

How good it sounds?

How good upconverts to 1080p?

How hot it gets?

How much is the diference between XT and XT32?

How much are you paying for the electric bill with this bad boy?

It is like paying for 1 ton of air conditioner when u have turn on the amp?

See less See more
#2 ·
Came from a denon avr-888 to this

Just got mine, did the speaker setup with the new Audassey,

Running L/C/R 8" monoprice kevlar fronts behind my 110" screen

RS/RR/LR/LS 8" monoprice kevlar in cielings

Klipsch RW12D sub, looking for an other though

it added sooo much more to my theater experience. im sad i didnt make this jump at the 1007/8, very happy with the 1009, no complaints at all.

I also have my video gear downstairs and it runs a secondary 40" led on my main floor using the Gear4 iphone ir controller.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by relizondov /forum/post/20757766

How good it sounds?

How hot it gets?

The receiver and my Definitive Technology speakers sound good. The receiver upconverts to 1080p very well (for me personally that's only 480p for Wii and 720p here and there, everything else I have outputs 1080p either native or converted internally).

As for XT and XT32 I know with XT you can measure 8 positions and with XT32 you can measure 32 positions. I'm sure there are other benefits also.

The amp does get hot at higher volumes. I've seen videos of the 1009 on YouTube that show 2 large fans on the bottom of the unit that I didn't know about before.

#4 ·
I'll throw the 1008 in here, as it's not much different. While I haven't tested this AVR in a dozen ways it's capable of performing, I have ti say I'm damned impressed with the coolness of it while being challenged with high volume listening. The heat sinks inside are well designed and worthy. I cranked some tunes for a while (no processors, no EQ, etc..) and when I expected to have my fingers singed when I touched the top...holy $hit...it was actually freaking cool! Seriously, the top (right over the amp area) was barely past warm. I must say, that despite the bad things I've been hearing about modern day AVRs (this is the first upgrade in nearly 10yrs for me) and their inherent flaws (especially w/Onkyo HDMI CX's, etc..) this AVR impressed the hell out of me.

No, I still haven't tested it for "all it can do", and hell...I might not ever get into that (I just can't find the time these days), but if it performs in just two CH mode like it does now? I'm good. I actually purchased this unit just to be a "head unit" (pre-outs) for some older amps I've had. And I always knew this was overkill, but hell....I'm rethinking this now. I will probably still connect a dbx BX-3 (350x2@8) for the mains for 2CH listening, but I may well dump my overkill plan to have 3 additional dbx BX-2's (250x2@8) for other channel drivers.

I'm glad I've had time in making this decision, because I can always sell my other amps. I'm thinking about traveling lighter these days (long story), and this AVR helps make that a real possibility for my audio equipment. I will still use external processors for 2CH listening, but will probably defer to what appears to be superior DSP (Audessey, etc..) changes since my last purchases.

Sorry I haven't been specific, but to recap: I can only vouch thus far for the NR1008's (sorry, not 9 series) awesome design to power well and stay very cool. This in itself is hard to find. Or so I found the past two decades when anything over 90wpc was involved.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by relizondov /forum/post/20757766

How good it sounds?

How hot it gets?

I have had my 1009 for about month now connected up to a bunch of polk tsi speakers. It sounds great and has plenty of power for me, I moved up from a 606 which was definitely underpowered for my application.

My biggest complaint is that even though this thing has 9 amps for 9.2 you can't have a powered zone2 active and use 7.1 at the same time. For some crazy reason as soon as you activate zone 2 it drops you to 5.1 in the main room. Very dumb design decision.

Also it seems that the net features like Pandora can lock up when listening and using the iphone remote like oremote. This has been discussed in the 809 thread as well. I saw this problem twice a couple nights ago. This was another main reason I bought this unit, I wanted two of the extra amps to drive some outdoor deck speakers while using my iphone to control the net music features. Neither option seems to be panning out very well.

#8 ·
So...my TX-NR1007 was in the shop since October, and Onkyo sent me a TX-NR1009 as a replacement These are my impressions so far:

The video quality is amazing! It's like I have a new plasma! The colors are more vibrant, the picture is sharper, to summarize, more pop and sizzle.

The Audyssey set up was 10 minutes faster for 8 positions.

The clicking is gone when switching sources and sound modes.

As far as sound quality, it's a slight step down. Not quite as ballsy, brighter on the top end.

The menu is slightly more refined, very easy to set up, didn't need to read the manual.

The build quality seems better, and I like the looks better too.

I hope this newer generation proves to be more reliable.

In closing, I highly recommend this series. If you can step up to the 3009, that would be the best, if not, this unit is quite good.

#9 ·
I just got a tx-nr1009 and it clicks only when switching between sound fields

like when you switch from direct to pure now is it suppose to do that? This

is an big upgrade from my 705 which I know made those sounds when switching through direct ,mono,pure I hope my unit isnt defective
I need to know asap its killing me

#21 ·
I'm in the market for possibly a new AVR, and just noticed this thread, as the 1009 looks to be a good AVR for what I'm looking for. So I saw this thread, and I thought to myself "Cool, a 1009 Owners thread." but I'm a bit shocked to say the least that this thread only has like 18 posts in it? I realize that the 1009 was one of the last 2011 Onkyo AVR's to be released, but come on... only like 18 posts in this thread? LOL?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.