how can i connect my monitor that has hdmi,vga,and dvi inputs to my reciver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i need to connect my xbox 360 which only has red blue and green aka component video cables, to my av receiver , then to my monitor?

what i think i figured out so far is that i can plug the 360's video cable into the component input on the back of the av receiver. but as far as i know component inputs cant pass through my hdmi out cable that i have running from my receiver to my monitor for picture ( tried to, but when i switch inputs on the receiver i just get a blue screen.).

so i need someway to get it setup were the component out on my av reviver is going to either my vga or dvi input on the back of the monitor.

at least that what i think has to happen.

the monitor i have is an Asus VE248H

and my av receiver is the one that comes with onkyos ht s3400 system.

please help, i really want to be able to play my 360,ps3, and wii (i have the 3 in 1 component cable set that has inputs for all 3 systems that i plan to use.) with my monitor and av receiver.

also for further info, i have the old xbox 360 with no hdmi cable input, and my ps3's hdmi input is broke, so thats why i need to use the component input on the back of my av receiver. also my hdmi out on the av receiver and the hdmi input on the back of my monitor is already being used, so not sure if that will help you but there it is anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-01-2011, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

bump

im going to bed now i check back again tomorrow
post #3 of 25 Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

and my av receiver is the one that comes with onkyos ht s3400 system

And there is your problem right there. Your Onkyo receiver doesn't have analog to HDMI conversion. You'll need to run a component video cable from the output of your Onkyo 3400 directly to your monitor.

Use either component to VGA cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Or component to DVI cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Afro GT
post #4 of 25 Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

thank you very much, i was hoping that a component to vga or dvi would work but i wasn't sure.

so if understand right, then the component to dvi cable will work right? if that's the case then that great.

also while im at it, what kind of adapter would i need to use with my headphones to connect to the bigger headphone jack on the front of the receiver
i know i said i was going to bed the last post but this problem has been on my mind all day.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I would order both those cables I linked since they're so cheap and one may work better than than the other with your monitor. Ya never know.

Headphone adapter
http://deepsurplus.com/Home-Theater-...apter-Bag-of-2

you can usually find those at your local radio shack.

Afro GT
post #6 of 25 Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 AM

If your monitor has all those inputs it must have a component input. I would just run component from the onkyo to the TV as mentioned above.

The headphone adaptor needs to be an 1/8" stereo to 1/4" stereo adaptor.
radio Shack should have them for an astronomical price.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM

A component to VGA cable should work, since both component and VGA are analog connections. The older xbox 360 had a vga adaptor cable that you could use instead of the supplied component, so I don't see an issue with this kind of component to vga cable.

The component to DVI might not work. There are basically 3 types of DVI connections. There is DVI analog, DVI-D digital, and DVI-I that accepts both. DVI-I is basically DVI-D with VGA built in. The pins of these different DVI connections is different, so you have to be careful. DVI-I is a master subset of the three, so if the port on the monitor is DVI-I, then it will take a DVI-D cable or DVD-I cable. If the port is DVI-D, then it will not accept a DVI-I cable, since it doesn't have the necessary pins. Considering the monitor has a seperate VGA connection, I doubt that DVI port will be DVI-I.

The monoprice cable is component to DVI-I, so it will carry the anlog component.

If your monitor accepts only DVI-D (digital), then a component to DVI-I cable won't work.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #8 of 25 Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

If your monitor has all those inputs it must have a component input. I would just run component from the onkyo to the TV as mentioned above.

I think he is using a computer monitor. They do not have component inputs, though a component to vga adaptor/cable will work.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #9 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

ok so now i hooked up the cable to my receiver and to my monitor,

problem is though when i switch my monitors input to vga i get no signal, as in i cant even use the on screen receiver menu.

i have the component cables plugged into my component out on my receiver, and i have the vga end plugged into my monitor.

any help please?
post #10 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM

I looked at the user manual for your Onkyo HTIB.

Your problem could be due to the following:

1. Incorrect receiver setup of component inputs
2. Incompatibility of monitor with signal resolution

Forgive me if you've tried this already, but it looks like you have to assign the receiver input to the component input you used at the back. If you plugged the xbox 360 component cable to component input 1, you have to assign one of the receivers inputs (BD/DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, GAME, AUX, TV/CD, or PORT) to the component input (IN1, or IN2).

The default assignment is BD/DVD is tied to IN1, CBL/SAT is tied to IN2. If you have NOT reassigned these two inputs, then try setting the input selector on your receiver to either of these two inputs.

If you have re-assigned these inputs to other components, then you'll have to get in to the menu system to reassign the inputs.

Unfortunately, the manual states, "The on-screen setup menus appear only on a TV that is connected to the HDMI OUT. If your TV is connected to
the MONITOR OUT V or the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT, use the AV receiver's display when changing settings."

Once you have your receiver configured correctly so that the input you choose is tied to the component input (IN1 or IN2) you've used on the back of your receiver for the xbxo360, check if you get a picture.

If you don't get a picture, try playing with the signal resolution you are sending out of the xbox 360. Your monitor might not accept 1080i (which should be 980x540 going to the monitor). Try 720p out of the xbox. This should be a standard resolution that a 1080p monitor can accept.

Good luck!

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #11 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

edit: disregard whats below, i managed to fix it, turns out i put the blue cable in the teal cable slot and vise vers for the component out. i feel like such a jackass, considering im pretty good with this type of stuff, i mean i even build my own custom computer lol.

thank ferrethunter, i tried everything you said, but i still get no signal.

when i switch my monitors input to vga, the monitor flashes "no vga input" just once then my screen goes black, and the power led turns orange on the monitor as if there no connection at all.

if it helps my monitor is an asus ve248h
post #12 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Glad you got it working!

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #13 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

A component to VGA cable should work, since both component and VGA are analog connections. The older xbox 360 had a vga adaptor cable that you could use instead of the supplied component, so I don't see an issue with this kind of component to vga cable.

The component to DVI might not work. There are basically 3 types of DVI connections. There is DVI analog, DVI-D digital, and DVI-I that accepts both. DVI-I is basically DVI-D with VGA built in. The pins of these different DVI connections is different, so you have to be careful. DVI-I is a master subset of the three, so if the port on the monitor is DVI-I, then it will take a DVI-D cable or DVD-I cable. If the port is DVI-D, then it will not accept a DVI-I cable, since it doesn't have the necessary pins. Considering the monitor has a seperate VGA connection, I doubt that DVI port will be DVI-I.

The monoprice cable is component to DVI-I, so it will carry the anlog component If your monitor accepts only DVI-D (digital), then a component to DVI-I cable won't work.

Ferret-I've got an older Planar monitor with a DVI-D input and can't get the following cable to work with it--could it be an HDCP issue?? I'm getting picture when using component from a DTV box connected to the display but nothing with the HDMI-DVI cable below.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #14 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Ferret-I've got an older Planar monitor with a DVI-D input and can't get the following cable to work with it--could it be an HDCP issue?? I'm getting picture when using component from a DTV box connected to the display but nothing with the HDMI-DVI cable below.

Might be an HDCP issue. But it could also be the resolution you are sending over DVI.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 3250 that I'm using for HD channels. When the HDMI handshake doesn't work, it will display a message on the screen that the display is not HDCP compliant. So you should have gotten a message on your monitor at least.

It could also be resolution. What signal is being sent out of your component output? You monitor obviously accepts it. It might not accept the same signal over DVI though. You'd have to check your monitor user manual to see if the signal you are sending over DVI is accepted.

What is the model number of your planar monitor?

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #15 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Might be an HDCP issue. But it could also be the resolution you are sending over DVI.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 3250 that I'm using for HD channels. When the HDMI handshake doesn't work, it will display a message on the screen that the display is not HDCP compliant. So you should have gotten a message on your monitor at least.

It could also be resolution. What signal is being sent out of your component output? You monitor obviously accepts it. It might not accept the same signal over DVI though. You'd have to check your monitor user manual to see if the signal you are sending over DVI is accepted.

What is the model number of your planar monitor?

Thanks for getting back to me. The model is Planar PDP42b and it was given to me without the manual, and I can't find much documentation for it online. IIRC the error message I'm receiving onscreen is "signal not supported." I'll have to check the resolution my DTV box is set to output when I get home tonight, but I believe I checked all the boxes except 1080p.

It's possible that certain resolutions can pass via component but not via HDMI-DVI?

post #16 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks for getting back to me. The model is Planar PDP42b and it was given to me without the manual, and I can't find much documentation for it online. IIRC the error message I'm receiving onscreen is "signal not supported." I'll have to check the resolution my DTV box is set to output when I get home tonight, but I believe I checked all the boxes except 1080p.

It's possible that certain resolutions can pass via component but not via HDMI-DVI?

I found your manual on line at:

http://www.planar.com/support/suppor...lcdtv_archive/

If it is the PDP42BK, it looks like it is a 852x480 native resolution plasma panel.

It looks like the component inputs will accept 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

It looks like the DVI input unfortunately will only accept a handful of resolutions:

640x480
720x400
800x600
1024x768

The manual states "If any signal of unsupported resolution is input, the "Out of Range" message appears."

The manual doesn't make mention of HDCP. I'd be surprised if it did support that. You can try sending a query to Planar.

So it looks like you have two issues:

The resolution you are sending through the DVI connection is unsupported. And your monitor isn't HDCP compliant, in all likelihood.

Try setting your DTV box to output 480p. You might then get as far as seeing a message indicating your monitor is not HDCP compliant.

Component cables can carry up to 1080i resolution signals, while HDMI/DVI can carry up to 1080p resolution. What is actually sent and received is up to the receiver and monitor.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #17 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I will set the box for 480p tonight and see what happens. I appreciate you looking into this for me.

I have a weird feeling I'm overthinking this entire thing. All I'm really trying to do is connect an Oppo (and DTV box) to my AVR via HDMI for SACD/DVD-A playback on a 2.1 system, while at the same time view the video output of the Oppo on the display (for disc menus and Oppo settings). Obviously if I have the Oppo and DTV box connected to the AVR via HDMI I can't output the video via component to the display because of HDCP.

post #18 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Considering your tv looks like it is 852x480, I wonder what advantages can really be had by trying to send digital high def signals over analog?

Maybe the easiest solution for you is to just use component output of your Oppo and DTV box?

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #19 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear what you're saying about the resolution of the display, but I was actually quite shocked when I saw how good the quality of it was. Myself and two buddies bought these recently for $100 each when a major Hollywood studio did some renovations, and the guy who originally bought them said they were top of the line in their day and $3500 each.

Anyway, looking over the manual I noticed I was incorrect about the connection being DVD-D. It's actually DVD-I.

post #20 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I hear what you're saying about the resolution of the display, but I was actually quite shocked when I saw how good the quality of it was. Myself and two buddies bought these recently for $100 each when a major Hollywood studio did some renovations, and the guy who originally bought them said they were top of the line in their day and $3500 each.

Anyway, looking over the manual I noticed I was incorrect about the connection being DVD-D. It's actually DVD-I.

Can't beat $100 for a plasma, regardless of resolution!

I'm a believer that contrast ratio is the most important aspect of a good picture. I've had 1080p tvs that couldn't hold a candle to my 1366x768 Pioneer plasma (and that was the year before the Kuro technology). I'm not surprised with your findings.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #21 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can't beat $100 for a plasma, regardless of resolution!

I'm a believer that contrast ratio is the most important aspect of a good picture. I've had 1080p tvs that couldn't hold a candle to my 1366x768 Pioneer plasma (and that was the year before the Kuro technology). I'm not surprised with your findings.

Yep, fellow plasma lover as well. So considering this Planar has DVI-I and not DVI-D, it sounds like I should just go component all the way, huh?

post #22 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I think he is using a computer monitor. They do not have component inputs, though a component to vga adaptor/cable will work.

The only way that will work is if the VGA input can accept component video.

Just plugging in an HD15 to component will not work.It like plugging in anHD15 to a computer and pluggin in the RCA's to a component video input ona projector. Ive tried it time and time again and a cable cannot just chage the sync between componet video and RGBHV ( VGA )..the HD15 input has to be able to be configured to VGA or Component on the monitor its self as the syn for VGA is not the same as component. Whats happening is the HD15 end of the cable problably has missing pins or even open connections were the H and V sync are. For component to work the sync is on green so the HD15 end is wired so the sync ( composite sync) is on the green signal.
Computer montitors may have that option if they have evey other type of input....Look in a set up menu to configure the input.
Pioneer plasma monitors were a great example of this as they were basically giant computer monitors.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

The only way that will work is if the VGA input can accept component video.

Just plugging in an HD15 to component will not work.It like plugging in anHD15 to a computer and pluggin in the RCA's to a component video input ona projector. Ive tried it time and time again and a cable cannot just chage the sync between componet video and RGBHV ( VGA )..the HD15 input has to be able to be configured to VGA or Component on the monitor its self as the syn for VGA is not the same as component. Whats happening is the HD15 end of the cable problably has missing pins or even open connections were the H and V sync are. For component to work the sync is on green so the HD15 end is wired so the sync ( composite sync) is on the green signal.
Computer montitors may have that option if they have evey other type of input....Look in a set up menu to configure the input.
Pioneer plasma monitors were a great example of this as they were basically giant computer monitors.

You may very well be correct.

I've never tried the configuration you've mentioned (vga out of a device feeding in to a component input of a display device). I can see the sync issues happening as you've mentioned.

I've only done it the other way (component out of a device feeding in to the vga input of a display device). I've done it in two configurations, and both worked for me. I've enjoyed many a movie with component video out from a WD TV box into the vga input of an older Samsung monitor.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #24 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Yep, fellow plasma lover as well. So considering this Planar has DVI-I and not DVI-D, it sounds like I should just go component all the way, huh?

I think if you change your DTV box to output 480p, you'll at least rule resolution incompatibility out of the equation. If the tv is HDCP compliant, you should get a picture.

I would try this and compare with 1080i component and go with the one that gives the best picture.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #25 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think if you change your DTV box to output 480p, you'll at least rule resolution incompatibility out of the equation. If the tv is HDCP compliant, you should get a picture.

I would try this and compare with 1080i component and go with the one that gives the best picture.

I tried switching to 480p to no avail, but thanks for all your help. Must be an HDCP issue so I'll try to figure out a workaround.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page