Android App iTunes Control Shootout: Pioneer 1021, Denon 1912, Onkyo 609 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm down to these 3 receivers, but I'm stuck as to their functionality via Android. I hope to connect these via ethernet to my home network and access my iTunes library on the Mac Mini. I hoped to control this iTunes access, at times, with my Droid X as it appears all three have some solid Droid apps (both official and not so official).

The Denon app seems to incorporate the iTunes control into its Android app which I view as a plus, but of course the price point is a bit higher there too.

My main goal is to be able to sit in my kitchen, grab my phone, and using the Droid app turn on my Zone 2 and play any given track via my Droid X. I'd complain about all this Apple software integration if I wasn't already using iTunes myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Neither the Pioneer nor the Onkyo are going to EQ the sub. Give Electronics Expo a call and ask for their best price and you will likely be pleasantly surprised.

For more information on the Denon XX12 model AVRs, click on the link in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm less concerned with the sub EQ than the functionality of using the networked portion of these AVRs. Apple was smart to jump in bed with Pioneer and Denon early on, but I've yet to see or hear how the Android apps for these AVRs work vis a vis controlling iTunes on another machine in my network. I really don't want to have to get into my Mac Mini play a song, turn on Air Play to the AVR, and get out again for Zone 2 stuff. Just sounds like a tremendous hassle.

Or is it as simple as opening the Android app for the AVR, selecting the Mac Mini/HTPC as a source, and then controlling the songs/playlists/etc. from within that app. If that is true of any/all of these, I'm sold.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Pioneer and the rep said that the iOS iControlAV2 app controls iTunes on another network device (read Mac Mini HTPC), but that the Android version does not. That doesn't make any sense to me... can anyone verify this?

I'm guessing that since the Android app is so new that they haven't had a chance to make sense of it all and haven't trained their customer service reps, but I could be wrong...
post #5 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Looks like this thread didn't make much progress but this is something I am currently faced with. After owning a Denon 1912 for about 3 weeks I have come home, for the second time, with a Pioneer 1021. With the Denon all I have figured out how to do is stream mp3s from my android phone to the receiver. I can't seem to get my SiruisXM app, Tune in, or Winamp to stream to the receiver. In addition the to upscaling feature, I was hoping there would be a clear cut way via of streaming my radio apps to the 1021. I almost bought a Onkyo 609 last weekend because it have built in SiriusXM internet capabilities.

I really need to figure this out.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Look into the Yamaha network receiver. Their iOS/android apps do this...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Look into the Yamaha network receiver. Their iOS/android apps do this...

Yamaha does seem to be the best well rounded. Wish I could have gotten a 671 but didn't see any in my price range locally. Settling for the Pioneer 1021 it seems.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

Yamaha does seem to be the best well rounded. Wish I could have gotten a 671 but didn't see any in my price range locally. Settling for the Pioneer 1021 it seems.

have you given any thought about a logitech remote? I have one for my system and it works great.

Jacob
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page