post #361 of 4004 Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wseight View Post

Hi!
I am considering to purchase a SC-55 and bring it with me to Europe.
To do so I need to be able to hook it up to a 220V 50 Hz power supply.
Converting the power from 220 to 110 V for the receiver is no problem, but it is a bit more troublesome to convert the frequency from 50 to 60 hz.
Does any of you know if the sc-55 receiver is capable of handling a power supply at 50hz without modification?
Would it even be able to handle 220v input, I know some devices do.

This is just an educated guess, but since they specifically state 120V ~60Hz in both the documentation AND on the unit itself, there is really no way that they actually mean "120V ~50-60Hz"

I think you're out of luck without conversion or a different unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4004 Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

The frecuency doesn't matter, it is only a problem with motors, but not with electronics.

I am using an SC-37 in south america (220V 50Hz as well) for a year now without any issues.

I just bought an SC-57 and is in his way here now.

I own a 120V Pioneer Kuro too... go figure....
post #363 of 4004 Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

For the record, my SC-57 has a loose power cord.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #364 of 4004 Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi all,

For those with Power Cord issues, I noticed this on my Elite VSX 52 and 53.
I had posted on the VSX 52 Owners Thread and also wrote that all I had was an old Computer 3 prong Grounded computer Power Cord!
No 2 prong IEC Power Cord.
Someone responded, use it, the ground will just not have anything to connect with, it does not make any difference!
I felt like an idiot and not seeing the forest for the trees!
So, I plugged in an old IEC Power Cord and it went in nice and snug.

So give it a try, if you have an old Power cord, Grounded or not!
Like I said it does not really matter if there is a ground, it's just the 2 conductors.
Plus with a grounded plug at the wall, surge protector, wherever the receptacle, it is always plugged in correctly.

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #365 of 4004 Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

My receiver, for some unknown reason, is really glitching with HDMI right now. I turned it on tonight to watch directv...no picture. Ok, so I made sure the input was correct and that the directv would play if connected directly to the tv, which it did. I connected a new HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv, and that did nothing. As such, I became concerned and began to try other sources. Blu ray didn't work, neither did ps3, comcast, or xbox.

At this point, I'm really concerned. The tv won't even display the settings menu, and when it does intermittently it becomes all red and noisy. The same thing happens with the second HDMI out and with every input on my tv (pio pro-151FD). it also won't playback audio, except when I manually start the MCACC. And it won't pass through either video or audio when I set the receiver to passthrough. I checked all of my settings, made sure HDMI-cec was off on both the receiver and the tv. I tried different HDMI cables, different inputs on the receiver, different outputs on the receiver, and different inputs on the tv. Nothing works, and I'm mad. Is there anything I should do before a complete factory reset, and, if that fails, a replacement or repair. At this point, however, if this turns out to be defective, I might not replace it with the same model because I already replaced my first SC-57 due to a faulty speaker terminal. Incidentally, my iPad is no longer able to connect to my receiver through the internet when the receiver is in standby; however, that should be a settings issue.

post #366 of 4004 Old 08-29-2011, 11:23 PM

Sounds good! Let me know how you get along when you get your unit(just to make sure there is no issues with the new model)
I'm a couple of weeks away from ordering the unit anyway.

Are you using a voltage converter 220->110V or do you just plug 220v into the (110V)receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

The frecuency doesn't matter, it is only a problem with motors, but not with electronics.

I am using an SC-37 in south america (220V 50Hz as well) for a year now without any issues.

I just bought an SC-57 and is in his way here now.

I own a 120V Pioneer Kuro too... go figure....

post #367 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

I am using a voltage converter of course
post #368 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The SC-55 does not allow multi-channel in while the sc-57 does. Look at the shot of backs of each component. This is important for most people.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #369 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

My receiver, for some unknown reason, is really glitching with HDMI right now. I turned it on tonight to watch directv...no picture. Ok, so I made sure the input was correct and that the directv would play if connected directly to the tv, which it did. I connected a new HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv, and that did nothing. As such, I became concerned and began to try other sources. Blu ray didn't work, neither did ps3, comcast, or xbox.

At this point, I'm really concerned. The tv won't even display the settings menu, and when it does intermittently it becomes all red and noisy. The same thing happens with the second HDMI out and with every input on my tv (pio pro-151FD). it also won't playback audio, except when I manually start the MCACC. And it won't pass through either video or audio when I set the receiver to passthrough. I checked all of my settings, made sure HDMI-cec was off on both the receiver and the tv. I tried different HDMI cables, different inputs on the receiver, different outputs on the receiver, and different inputs on the tv. Nothing works, and I'm mad. Is there anything I should do before a complete factory reset, and, if that fails, a replacement or repair. At this point, however, if this turns out to be defective, I might not replace it with the same model because I already replaced my first SC-57 due to a faulty speaker terminal. Incidentally, my iPad is no longer able to connect to my receiver through the internet when the receiver is in standby; however, that should be a settings issue.

Did you try turning power cycling the Pioneer set and AVR for a few minutes and then rebooting? I used to have an Elite Pro-1130HD set a few years back, and it was VERY tempramental about HDMI handshakes. Every so often it would lose the HDMI connection from my Denon DVD-5910, and reseating cables, swapping cables, or trying a different HDMI-enabled device on the port didn't help.

The same thing happened with our Tivo Series 3 connection to the Pro-1130. If a cable got loose, I'd have to reboot the Pioneer for an extended period, or it would never recover the handshake. And even then, the problem would resurface every few months. I finally ditched the Pioneer and got a Panasonic when we bought a Blu-Ray player (obviously a last resort, given the quality of Kuro). But we haven't had nearly the same kind of HDMI issues since.

Have you tried turning off PQLS as well? Or trying a different display?

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #370 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Power cable:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm

14 ga: 17A

110V * 17A = 1,870 watts
120V * 17A = 2,040 watts

I don't see why the 14ga cable they provide would be inadequate (aside from loose cord issues; mine isn't loose BTW).
post #371 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post

The SC-55 does not allow multi-channel in while the sc-57 does. Look at the shot of backs of each component. This is important for most people.

Multichannel analog input may be important to a few people, but it is not important to "most people."

HDMI input can replace all or nearly all applications that previously required multichannel analog input. Even those few users seemingly wedded to older DVD-A/SACD universal players that lack HDMI output would be better served to replace them with HDMI equipped universal players, which can be had for ~$150.

AJ
post #372 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post

I'm having audio gaps with certain programming on my AT&T U-Verse box via HDMI and optical. It seems to be real common for some reason with audience applause segments, like during The Daily Show on Comedy Central or The Soup on E, but also was happening tonight on the MTV Video Music Awards during some of the louder commercials.

I thought it was the same HDMI problem that the U-Verse box is known about, but hooking it up via optical on my Denon corrected it. It still happens even with optical on the SC-57. It also happens with both HD 5.1 and standard programming.

Update: Ok... it seems to be happening with 2 channel digital sources. For tonight's MTV Awards, the commercials said they were 2-channel digital input and the audio gaps would happen, but as soon as awards came back to DD 5.1... audio was fine.

I had the same problem with AT&T Uverse and an Onkyo NR3008--frequent and constant audio drop outs, in both HDMI and optical, and it was especially bad during the Daily Show. It actually wasn't as bad during 5.1 DD broadcasts. You can "fix" this by changing your Uverse digital audio output option from "surround" to "stereo." Of course, you have to constantly change it back when listening to a 5.1 source. My fix? I switched back from Uverse to DirecTv. TV service providers are like the long distance carriers from 15 years ago--they offer lots of freebies to switch back (although now I'm locked into DirecTV for 2 years).
post #373 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Multichannel analog input may be important to a few people, but it is not important to "most people."

HDMI input can replace all or nearly all applications that previously required multichannel analog input. Even those few users seemingly wedded to older DVD-A/SACD universal players that lack HDMI output would be better served to replace them with HDMI equipped universal players, which can be had for ~$150.

AJ

New bluray players will play dvdaudio over hdmi? With correct bass management?

post #374 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New bluray players will play dvdaudio over hdmi?

Yep, where have you been? For at least the past three years, numerous BD universal players and DVD universal players have allowed DVD-A and SACD playback over HDMI. (Some output SACD as native DSD, some as decimated LPCM, while some offer the user selectable option of either DSD or LPCM.)

Quote:

With correct bass management?

The AVR or pre/pro is responsible for bass management, which is almost always performed in the digital domain. That is why HDMI connection makes so much more sense.

AJ
post #375 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. Cool. Color me impressed. But can you give me a few besides the Oppo?

post #376 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM

post #377 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

post #378 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Did you try turning power cycling the Pioneer set and AVR for a few minutes and then rebooting? I used to have an Elite Pro-1130HD set a few years back, and it was VERY tempramental about HDMI handshakes. Every so often it would lose the HDMI connection from my Denon DVD-5910, and reseating cables, swapping cables, or trying a different HDMI-enabled device on the port didn't help.

The same thing happened with our Tivo Series 3 connection to the Pro-1130. If a cable got loose, I'd have to reboot the Pioneer for an extended period, or it would never recover the handshake. And even then, the problem would resurface every few months. I finally ditched the Pioneer and got a Panasonic when we bought a Blu-Ray player (obviously a last resort, given the quality of Kuro). But we haven't had nearly the same kind of HDMI issues since.

Have you tried turning off PQLS as well? Or trying a different display?

How do you turn off pqls? And yes, I will try a different display next. I tried power cycling, factory resetting, and everything else, nothing.

post #379 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Careful. Few if any Denon/Marantz universal DVD-A/SACD players can output SACD playback as high res audio via HDMI. Most require a proprietary Denon Link connection for DSD output, and/or they do output SACD playback via HDMI but downsample DSD to CD quality 16 bit 44.1 kHz LPCM.

So, the presence of HDMI on a universal player does not automatically imply the capability to output DVD-A and/or SACD as high res audio via HDMI.

AJ
post #380 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

How do you turn off pqls? And yes, I will try a different display next. I tried power cycling, factory resetting, and everything else, nothing.

Put remote in receiver mode, then press home, select #4 System Setup, then e. HDMI setup and set control to OFF. Exit the menu by pressing Home again, and see if that resolves it.
post #381 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Before I drive myself crazy with more Googling, I'll just ask if my expectations are simply unreasonable. Can I not pair an HDMI video source with optical audio? Both work separately, but as soon as I add video to audio or vice versa, the optical drops out.

If this isn't possible, is this common across manufacturers? This is my first HDMI receiver, and with the secondary output, I was counting on it replacing the splitter I've been using.
post #382 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post

Before I drive myself crazy with more Googling, I'll just ask if my expectations are simply unreasonable. Can I not pair an HDMI video source with optical audio? Both work separately, but as soon as I add video to audio or vice versa, the optical drops out.

Yes, you can run S/PDIF alongside HDMI but you can run into audio/video sync issues on occasion.
post #383 of 4004 Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post

If this isn't possible, is this common across manufacturers? This is my first HDMI receiver, and with the secondary output, I was counting on it replacing the splitter I've been using.

No... and I have to ask why you would want to and how it related to the secondary output (i.e. what exactly are you trying to accomplish?)

Both video and audio are encoded on the single stream, which is why you cannot strip one from the other.
post #384 of 4004 Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

HTPC is doing DisplayPort to HDMI with no audio on that cable. I split this to the kitchen along with the analog audio from the PC to mirror what's in the living room. Just thought I'd have been able to simplify things a bit.
post #385 of 4004 Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
Careful. Few if any Denon/Marantz universal DVD-A/SACD players can output SACD playback as high res audio via HDMI. Most require a proprietary Denon Link connection for DSD output, AJ
i'm not a Denon die hard but isn't Denon Link going away? and ilink for that matter?

i notice this new Denon universal player doesn't have it and claims DSD over HDMI

page 52

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...ENG_IM_001.pdf
post #386 of 4004 Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post
Put remote in receiver mode, then press home, select #4 System Setup, then e. HDMI setup and set control to OFF. Exit the menu by pressing Home again, and see if that resolves it.
Already done on both the display and receiver.

post #387 of 4004 Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM

I wanted to give an update since I posted that my SC-55's center channel failed. I took it to Magnolia Audio Video in Bellevue, they verified that the center channel wasn't working, and then gave me a new one. Great service.

One thing that may have contributed to the problem - just a guess. I didn't set the speaker settings of the unit before using it as it was getting late and my wife wanted to watch a movie. The unit defaults to 9.x channel mode, but I only have 5.1 channels. I also plugged my rear surround speakers into the SURROUND BACK posts instead of the SURROUND posts.

With the new one I configured it before doing anything else and then I ran Full Auto MCACC. Plus I plugged the rear speakers into the SURROUND posts like the manual says . I don't know if this had anything to do with the failure of the first one, but I thought I'd mention it because this time around everything seems to be working just fine.

My recommendation is to make sure you configure the unit before you do anything else. Oh, and if you only have one set of surrounds, plug them in to the SURROUND posts, not the SURROUND BACK posts.
post #388 of 4004 Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 256
That would not cause your failure (oh, could have caused problems if you had shorted the terminals, but the AVR would have said so and shut down). Be not concerned, and enjoy the new toy!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #389 of 4004 Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Hello I have a SC 27 and was wondering if upgrading to the Sc 55 would be better. Please talk me out as the upgrade bug is with me. Thanks
post #390 of 4004 Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

i'm not a Denon die hard but isn't Denon Link going away? and ilink for that matter?

i.Link, yes, it has mostly fallen out of favor. But Denon shows no signs of abandoning Denon Link, as Denon introduced its latest version, Denon Link 4th edition, just two years ago and continues to include it on some current AVRs and BDPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

i notice this new Denon universal player doesn't have it and claims DSD over HDMI

Recall what I wrote: "Few if any Denon/Marantz universal DVD-A/SACD players can output SACD playback as high res audio via HDMI." The 2012UDCI is one of those few (maybe the only?). It does not have Denon Link because it is only an entry level to mid range Denon player.

AJ
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page