The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3961 of 3997 Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just run over all possible variations and found nothing promising. When I enter any of tone controlling menus when in zone 2/3, receiver instantly switches main zone on and starts controlling it. Cant find any option to control tone in distant room, what makes this receiver useless in that aspect.

Waiting for someone to prove me wrong. Ill be happy to better find myself useless biggrin.gif

There should be my signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 3997 Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotlec View Post

Just run over all possible variations and found nothing promising. When I enter any of tone controlling menus when in zone 2/3, receiver instantly switches main zone on and starts controlling it. Cant find any option to control tone in distant room, what makes this receiver useless in that aspect.

Waiting for someone to prove me wrong. Ill be happy to better find myself useless biggrin.gif

trust me, you have more experience with multizones than I do smile.gif for all my yrs, experience & knowledge of Pioneer gear, I haven't needed to play around with this other than to say "yes it does what its supposed to do" and that was with the 68's zone 4 HDMI output to another receiver, not speakers connected to the 68 itself.

there are differences between speaker B setup and a true zone 2/3 setup and it's not always clear what they are. in true multizone configuration, the zones do work independently and the receiver main zone can remain in Standby while zone 2 is in use, but if you are using a Speaker B speaker configuration, you are probably correct that the receiver has to be literally turned On for the B speakers to work and then you would turn off the A speakers by the remote button (A, B, A+B, Off) so main zone stays powered up even tho speakers A are switched off. that actually kind of makes sense now that I think about it.

and using one of the Speaker B configurations, the adjustments may only work in the main zone. this is the part I can't help with since no way to test it for you.

can you setup your speakers in true zone 2 fashion as outlined on pg 14 in your manual, D, E, or F in the Speaker Configuration menu?. if using configuration B (7.1 + B), I think you're stuck with the zones married together. only D, E, F will get you independent multizone capability IF I understand how Pioneer implements multizones, pg 60 in the manual.

a multizone setup is different than a Speaker B setup in how the receiver works, even though both produce sound through a 2nd set of speakers in another room.

for zone 2 vs speaker B, follow the speaker connection diagrams. I didn't check to see if the 2 are different.

Steve
post #3963 of 3997 Old 03-07-2014, 01:37 PM

I was thinking the same way , that is why I have tried both A/B and multizone.

Multizone is good for listening different sources and I can understand that processor is not capable to control sound settings for other zones than main. But why it is not controlling B set of speakers , when A is off is mystery for me. The only good reason that comes to my mind is receives ability to play A and B speakers simultaneously. But anyway I would prefer to have same EQ settings for both sets of speaker than not having it for B at all.

Sad

There should be my signature
post #3964 of 3997 Old 03-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post

My SC-57 does show the center rear on the display as well as also on my iPhone app. When I play a DTS-ES DVD, such as Chicken Run.. it shows "Discreet ES" on the front display and "DTS-ES Discreet" on my iPhone app. I also tried THX and it shows THS Surround EX. I did have to go into the DVD menu and select DTS-ES as the audio.

I do get sound out the speaker depending on the playback material or listening mode. Have you tried different listening modes? Try expanded because I think that engages all speakers.

Since I have very few ES DVDs, I'm not sure if I should keep the 6.1 unless it provides some benefit.

Yeah, I found that if I play a 6.1 Blu-Ray, the rear center is active but only when you have a 6.1 source. On my SC-07 it doesn't matter if it's the Oppo, the Xbox One, the Xbox 360, or even my HD-DVD player the receiver switches to 6.1 output. I understand with a 5.1 source this is simulated but still, I found the sound of my SC-07 more to my liking than the SC-57. Currently the SC-07 is now back in the home theatre and the SC-57 has been reduced to performing as the receiver for my computer replacing an older VSX model.
post #3965 of 3997 Old 03-15-2014, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm a little put out right now and I'd like some advice. I've had my system set up in a 5.2 for some time with all as small. I just got new mains that have 2 8" drivers and a tweeter each. I want to bi amp them and use old mains as front l/r wide. So I wire everything and there is no option in the menu close to this except the [F]5.2 bi-amp with zone 2, but that surely won't make zone two wide?!? I do not want a surround back. Do you guys a have any clue what I could do to get close to what I want. Would [A] 9.1 work where I could set high and main as a faux bi amp then run wide as normal? Is this even going to remotely work? Why is this not an option.... :/

Any advice would be miraculous.

Main HT Setup
Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3 (FL&FR)
Klipsch RP-3 (FWL&FWR)
Klipsch RC-3 (CENTER)
Klipsch RS-3 (SL&SR)
Bang & Olufsen Beogram TX
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(Yamaha DVD-S1700 now removed)
XBOX-360
XBOX-ONE
post #3966 of 3997 Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 643
The advice is simple. Ignore the concept of passive biamplification. It will provide no benefit whatsoever. Congratulations on the new speakers.
post #3967 of 3997 Old 03-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

The advice is simple. Ignore the concept of passive biamplification. It will provide no benefit whatsoever. Congratulations on the new speakers.

So it's only passive? I thought since it was coming from two different speaker outs and the receiver in bi-amp mode it makes no difference? Guess I need to do more research. And thanks!

Main HT Setup
Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3 (FL&FR)
Klipsch RP-3 (FWL&FWR)
Klipsch RC-3 (CENTER)
Klipsch RS-3 (SL&SR)
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360
XBOX-ONE
post #3968 of 3997 Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
there is no crossover network, let alone an adjustable one, inside receivers to replace the one inside your speakers (separating freq's going to tweeter, midrange, & woofer) so it's passive. meaning sending the same full freq range signal to the speakers terminals. passive bi-amp is better than bi-wiring but not much.

and before you ask, the crossover that is in the MCACC calibration & speaker setup is for bass management, determining what gets sent to speakers vs a sub. not the same thing as what's needed to do active bi-amping.

active bi-amping requires an external crossover box, either analog or digital, that is used in lieu of the speaker's internal crossover circuit. active bi-amp can provide real benefits, passive not much other than to give you about 1-2 dB headroom in the most demanding passages that might drive an amp close to clipping, which you can accomplish by turning the volume up the same amount, as long as the amps aren't close to clipping. external crossovers can be inexpensive digital ones from companies like Behringer or expensive analog ones from companies like Marchand ($1200-1400), Bryston (~$3000) or Pass Labs (even more expensive) or they can be found in DSP devices such as miniDSP ($600) up to very expensive room correction/EQ devices such as DEQX (~$-5000), Trinnov ($15000) and similar. plus to do active bi-amping requires knowledge of how the speaker company designed their crossovers (type - Butterworth, etc, crossover points, slopes)

passive bi-amping in any receiver is mostly a way for the owner to feel good about using the extra amps in a 5.1 setup.
ChrisTheKid likes this.

Steve
post #3969 of 3997 Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
there is no crossover network, let alone an adjustable one, inside receivers to replace the one inside your speakers (separating freq's going to tweeter, midrange, & woofer) so it's passive. meaning sending the same full freq range signal to the speakers terminals. passive bi-amp is better than bi-wiring but not much.

and before you ask, the crossover that is in the MCACC calibration & speaker setup is for bass management, determining what gets sent to speakers vs a sub. not the same thing as what's needed to do active bi-amping.

active bi-amping requires an external crossover box, either analog or digital, that is used in lieu of the speaker's internal crossover circuit. active bi-amp can provide real benefits, passive not much other than to give you about 1-2 dB headroom in the most demanding passages that might drive an amp close to clipping, which you can accomplish by turning the volume up the same amount, as long as the amps aren't close to clipping. external crossovers can be inexpensive digital ones from companies like Behringer or expensive analog ones from companies like Marchand ($1200-1400), Bryston (~$3000) or Pass Labs (even more expensive) or they can be found in DSP devices such as miniDSP ($600) up to very expensive room correction/EQ devices such as DEQX (~$-5000), Trinnov ($15000) and similar. plus to do active bi-amping requires knowledge of how the speaker company designed their crossovers (type - Butterworth, etc, crossover points, slopes)

passive bi-amping in any receiver is mostly a way for the owner to feel good about using the extra amps in a 5.1 setup.

Thanks. Makes more sense. Did a lot of reading after your last post. yeah 1-2dB is definitely not worth it, though your comment about Headroom made me want to listen to a little Don McLean. I was thinking there would be more of a dedicated amount of power for the different drivers. But it seems you are right, not really any difference unless I was going to go crazy with cost. Thanks again

Main HT Setup
Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3 (FL&FR)
Klipsch RP-3 (FWL&FWR)
Klipsch RC-3 (CENTER)
Klipsch RS-3 (SL&SR)
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360
XBOX-ONE
post #3970 of 3997 Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 PM

Liked: 12
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on a new receiver. I haven't owned a pioneer in a long time and I'm wanting to upgrade from my Yamaha Aventage RX-A1010 to an Elite SC-55/57/65/68 etc. I am stuck at 7.2 as it stands and I can utilize front height on my Aventage but I lose rear surround in the process, hence the interest in a 9 channel model. Here is my dilemma. I can't honestly see any benefit for me in buying a SC-75/77 when I can't see there being any major difference( I have no use for a 4k scaler, I'd rather get an oled). What I'm most interested in is the 9 channel output and the Marvell/Qdeo processing. What are your thoughts on purchasing one of these over a new model? It is primarily used for DirecTV, Xbox One, and blu-rays. I don't listen to music all that much, but I do stream my mp3 and flac files occasionally. You can find the previous models online and for sale in forums for around $700-$1000 depending on how old and condition. Any feedback would be appreciated. Anyone looking to sell one?
post #3971 of 3997 Old 03-22-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I seem to have forgotten how to setup my HT gear. frown.gif I've owned the SC-57 for about 2 years now? Love it! But just recently purchased the Oppo 105D and want to use the multi-channel inputs. I think I got the multi-channel audio going correctly on both the Pioneer and Oppo. However, I can't get video. frown.gif And now I can't even get the DirectTV to work through the SC-57. So I must have switched something off when I selected multi-channel? Very frustrated.

any suggestions? Prior to using the Oppo I was all HDMI...

I guess I could do a hard reset back to factory settings?

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

Thx.
post #3972 of 3997 Old 03-23-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: I went straight from the Oppo to Projector...which is really what I wanted anyway. Using the mult-channel analog outs on the SC-57 into the Oppo 105D. All good.

But I can no longer use the SC-57 to switch my sources. DirectTV no longer works thru the Pioneer. I've obviously turned something off when I set up using the Multi-channel.

Frustrated. Will try and call Pioneer tomorrow to see if they can walk me through it.

other suggestions?
post #3973 of 3997 Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Rather intersting. I've had a 57 in my system for quite awhile now and have been pleased with the performance.

I had the chance to audition both an SC-72 and an older SC-61 and neither seem to be sonically on par with the 57. Has anyone noticed this when they listened to pater iterations?
post #3974 of 3997 Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM

It hasn't been an issue until now, but I don't seem to be able to hook things to HDMI 1 through 3. The HDMI inputs that map to BD, DVD, and DVR work fine, but none of the others. Is there a setting I'm missing, or do I need to take it in for repair?
post #3975 of 3997 Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotlec View Post

Sorry, you are correct
post #3976 of 3997 Old 04-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Help!

After owning my SC-57 for over two years I decided to hook it up to my home network in order to play flac files and video streamed from my pc. Unfortunately, I am unable to get the router to identify the receiver with either DNLA or static IP addresses. I get an activity light on my router to show the network is connected but that's it. I'm using a Linksys EA4500 WIFI router which is DNLA capable. I've tried resetting the receiver more than a few times. Tried using different subnet masks and IP's. I'm beginning to think I have a problem with the network circuitry of the receiver.

Anyone else come across this problem or have some suggestions for me. I've searched the threads but haven't found anything pertaining to my type of network problem.

Thanks

Taxpuppet
post #3977 of 3997 Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxpuppet View Post

Help!

After owning my SC-57 for over two years I decided to hook it up to my home network in order to play flac files and video streamed from my pc. Unfortunately, I am unable to get the router to identify the receiver with either DNLA or static IP addresses. I get an activity light on my router to show the network is connected but that's it. I'm using a Linksys EA4500 WIFI router which is DNLA capable. I've tried resetting the receiver more than a few times. Tried using different subnet masks and IP's. I'm beginning to think I have a problem with the network circuitry of the receiver.

Anyone else come across this problem or have some suggestions for me. I've searched the threads but haven't found anything pertaining to my type of network problem.

Thanks

Taxpuppet

Does it get an IP address assigned to it or did you statically enter in the IP address?
Can you ping the SC57?
Can you control it with icontrolAV2?
Can you telnet to it?
Can you run the setup utility from your PC?
post #3978 of 3997 Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 PM

When I try setting it up in DNLA the IP does not change. It stays as 164.254.112.202 (default).

I can change the IP manually which I assigned 192.168.1.112 subnet 255.255.255.0
My router address is 192.168.1.1 and there is no other device on that IP.

I cannot ping the receiver nor does AVNavigator connect - I get a network error message from it.
I cannot see the receiver in the device list of my router.

With icontrolAV2 I get a NETWORK ERROR -check your product Connection Status. AVR error - error code B27110.

I have changed cables with known good ones and bypassed a switch to go directly from the router with no luck.

Not sure what you mean by telnet.
post #3979 of 3997 Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 449
I need a receiver, and I found a reasonable deal on a used SC-55. The thing is, I need a receiver that will last a long time. How is the reliability on the SC-55? I don't have time to go through all 100+ pages of this thread, how frequent are problems? I need someone familiar with this model to summarize its overall reliability before I pull the trigger.
post #3980 of 3997 Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 AM

There have been no consistently reported problems with the receiver, at least on this thread.
post #3981 of 3997 Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
So far in the field our company has had no problems with any Elite AVR's in the last couple of years and only a few problems with their Blu-Ray players.
post #3982 of 3997 Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 449
That's good to hear. I have an old Elite VXT47 that I bought used some years ago. This is a model from 2001. It took a beating during shipping and arrived with a bent chassis (idiot who sent it packaged this 65 lbs behemoth in a single layer cardboard box with only a couple layers of popcorn foam!) Still, it works like a champ. This is why I am taking a liking to Pioneer. I had a Onkyo TX-SR707 which I bought new and owned for about 4 years and I babied it, took very good care, cool and dry environment, etc, and it just decided to die for no apparent reason a couple weeks ago. No more Onkyo for me!
post #3983 of 3997 Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 PM

Hello,

Have any SC-55/57 owners encountered any issues with composite video inputs, particularly with older devices, e.g., laserdisc players, vintage video consoles, etc.?  I've seen the notice about how if you use ARC with HDMI, you lose the SAT/CBL audio channels, but that's not what I'm referring to.  I'm specifically interested in how a perfectly working device can be hooked up to composite/analog connections, and the AVR being apparently incapable of detecting the incoming video signal.

(Some backstory:  I just picked up, and returned, an SC-77.  It was a lovely receiver, but I had to return it because it wasn't working with some of my composite video devices.  By not working, I mean the video wouldn't show up through the receiver.  The audio was working fine, but no video.  The devices that all had issues were on the older side (90's and earlier); the devices that were more modern (00's and later) fared just fine.  Sometimes I could get the video on these older devices to work by unplugging/replugging the cables, or by fussing with the video parameters, but sometimes, and with some devices, it wouldn't work at all.  All of these devices had worked (and still work) just fine with my VSX-32, so I don't know what the issue is.  Neither did the vendor, nor Pioneer support.  Hence my return.  I would still like to get a receiver that's capable of 9.1, and I'm fairly brand-loyal to Pioneer, but I don't know how far back this composite video bug extends.  I'm looking for information to help inform my decision:  go with an older Pioneer model, or wait for a later Pioneer model, or look toward another brand.

If you've successfully used this AVR with legacy devices (ideally multiple legacy devices) through a composite video input, or if you've encountered any issues getting said devices to work with this AVR, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

post #3984 of 3997 Old 05-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have an SC-55 and for a while was using a VHS deck and then a different combo DVD/VHS deck using the composite inputs and had no issues. Don't think I've ever had occasion to use the component inputs.

Note that if you're using component inputs, they must be assigned in the setup program (page 34 of the Manual). You should probably turn off the other inputs for the same input function. For example, the Video input function has HDMI 4, Optical 3 and Component 3 default assigned to it. If you're only using Component 3 (or if you've switched it to another Component input), change the configuration so that HDMI 4 and Optical 3 are no longer assigned to the Video input.

If you're using the component inputs, make sure you've matched the cable colors correctly on both ends.

As a test, if your TV has component inputs, go directly into the TV with the same cables to see if that works.

And at the risk of stating the incredibly obvious, make sure you're plugged into the component input and not the output on the receiver side and the output and not the input on the player side. The outputs on the receiver have the pattern imprinted into the panel. While seemingly obvious, I've seen some very smart people accidentally reverse this, thinking that when the receiver has an "output" label, it means "plug the output cable from the other device here" instead of "this is the output from the receiver."
post #3985 of 3997 Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  To confirm, I'm using composite inputs, not component inputs, and unless I'm suffering from an undiagnosed psychosis, I had (repeatedly) plugged in everything just fine.  I did an exhaustive amount of troubleshooting.  The problem followed the specific (vintage) devices, regardless of the port they were plugged into, while the newer devices worked just fine.  None of the Video Parameter settings (including setting the video resolution to "PURE") helped either.  Reconnecting everything to my tried-and-true VSX-32 got everything working fine again.  The fact that a couple of other people on this and other internet fora have reported similar issues with this line of receivers makes me suspect that it might be systematic, and that this issue is relatively quiet and unreported because most owners of these high(ish)-end AVRs aren't using vintage composite devices.

post #3986 of 3997 Old 05-30-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well as I said, I had no problem with the composite input. But I would suggest calling Pioneer tech support, even though the receiver is out of warranty. There's no reason for the composite inputs not to work. My bet is that it's an obscure setting somewhere.

The alternative would be to hook the device directly to the TV, assuming the TV has a composite input, then using ARC to get the audio to the receiver. I've done that as well.
post #3987 of 3997 Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 AM

Thanks again for the response.  The suggestion to connect the device up directly to the TV is one I hadn't considered, though it would necessitate getting another switchbox, as I have more than one device.  Something to keep in mind.

Note that (and I had mentioned this in my original post) I had already run the gauntlet with Pioneer tech support, and at the end they were stumped.  They had walked me through all the settings that I had previously played with, and the frustrating but necessary "make sure your cables are properly connected" and "maybe your cables themselves are damaged?"-type of questions, and at the end recommended that I take it back to the dealer for service.  (But being within the 15-day return period, I just returned it.)  The support guy I was emailing with even said that he didn't have older devices to test with it, and wasn't having problems with the VCRs, etc. he had on hand, but admitted that if other people were experiencing this problem then maybe we were on to something.  Seeing that others have reported similar problems, and haven't been able to fix them, I'm starting to suspect that it's not user error on my side.

post #3988 of 3997 Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM

I've been using my SC-57 with a LD player hooked up to composite with no issues as well. I did have to go in and assign the composite input for the input selection I wanted to use.
post #3989 of 3997 Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 PM

I lost my audo and video tonight. I tried unplugging all the hdmi connections and power cycling without success. No hdmi video. No hdmi audio or digital audio. It did show it was receiving digital audio (main speakers illuminated on the display). Tuner has no audio but I have also never tried it. I am going to leave it unplugged tonight and hope for the best tomorrow. Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #3990 of 3997 Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I had this happen to me on my SC-09TX...an accidental button press on remote that switched HDMI outputs from 1 to 2. took me clost to half hr to figure it out after I tried reseating cables and going into panic mode that something had failed redface.gif

try cycling thru the HDMI outputs. that just may be the answer. your manual will show the button and the choices. I think the default is All but don't quote me on that, check your manual to make sure in the HDMI setup chapter.

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page