The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4021 of 4049 Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post
Well it appears that pioneer is upping their game and is supporting the sc55/57 with the latest icontrolav5 app for iOS

The biggest change is that you now have access to the keypad and can change the setup without the remote or having to see the screen of the receiver

I had sworn off pioneer but this is encouraging

I even bought a pio car receiver

Well done pioneer

Well gee.... FINALLY they get with the program. Proves the point I made a long time ago... backwards compatibility shouldn't have been that difficult to implement with the iControl software. Either the were being lazy or purposely avoided making it play with previous year models.

Fine and dandy... BUT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
UE22 Error in Pioneer Receivers

I have heard this error code happening with some SC-55/57 and other Pioneer receivers.

To quote David Susilo who frequently visits and comments here on AVS:

"The unit needs to go for repair. UE22 error also means that the chip which stores the firmware data is kaput".

I wonder how frequently this happens. If it happens to a Pioneer receiver that has no warranty left, how much would it cost to fix it? Perhaps it was a problem only in 2011 model year Pioneer receivers. Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks

Edit: Did some research on this issue and some claim that to get rid of this code you have to do a factory reset and that should solve the problem. Can someone verify this?

After the issue I reported in this thread back in July, it was working fine up until I got home yesterday. Fired it up only to find it blinking with this dreaded UE22 error. And no... a factory reset would not resolve it. After a hard power cycle, it no longer displayed the error. HDMI video was working, but all audio from the receiver was dead. Not even a squawk from the tuner. After some additional fiddle-farting around, I tried to flash it with the latest firmware... but it would die at 20% with UPDATE ERROR 1. Power cycle again, and right back where I started. KAPUT.

I guess I am a glutton for punishment, as I just replaced it with an SC-87. At least getting a few more months out of it I get the added features of the next generation past the SC-77 I would have been stuck with previously.

What are you gonna do, when everything seems to progress/regress into throw-away tech?!? :/

Last edited by Slackjaw747; 12-16-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4049 Old 01-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been away for a long time, but my Sc-55 is mis behaving

So sound, video from just 2 of the hdmi inputs

It was working fine, but my project today was to :
Run longer cables to tv
Fix a network issue with a component
Clean up some cabling

So I spun the rack and got to work.
During process disconnected cables from oppo and directv

Things went back together and tested my URC total control to make sure things worked before Spun things back around

Noticed the problem
Couldn't even get the OSD to display , but video from Xbox and appletv worked. Move directv and oppo to where appletv input is and see them but hdmi 1 and 2 don't work. No sound, no OSD and who knows what

Hard reset didn't help
Did what I hate to do and removed the receiver and off to shop next week
post #4023 of 4049 Old 02-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
I have been away for a long time, but my Sc-55 is mis behaving

So sound, video from just 2 of the hdmi inputs

It was working fine, but my project today was to :
Run longer cables to tv
Fix a network issue with a component
Clean up some cabling

So I spun the rack and got to work.
During process disconnected cables from oppo and directv

Things went back together and tested my URC total control to make sure things worked before Spun things back around

Noticed the problem
Couldn't even get the OSD to display , but video from Xbox and appletv worked. Move directv and oppo to where appletv input is and see them but hdmi 1 and 2 don't work. No sound, no OSD and who knows what

Hard reset didn't help
Did what I hate to do and removed the receiver and off to shop next week
Before you take the receiver off to the shop, try testing those inputs (and the output back to the TV) with shorter cables. You may have exceeded recommended HDMI cable lengths. If that's an issue, you might try either thicker HDMI cables (although be careful because those heavy cables can put undue pressure on the jacks) or an active HDMI cable.

And make sure the HDMI cables are seated properly. One failure of the HDMI plug/jack design is that there's no firm grip on the plug by the jack unlike just about every other connector type I can think of.

Also, if you've changed any of the configuration, make sure in Setup that the jacks are assigned to an input selection. If you've re-set the receiver, you may have lost that original configuration. While some inputs are defaulted, many need to be assigned.
post #4024 of 4049 Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks for reply. Nothing changed between components and receiver. All those cables are same and I could move cable of directv and oppo to hdmi and got picture. No sound for anything even tuner , but picture.

To be complete. I have component cables and audio going from tv to directv. I have hdmi from tv to receiver. Those 2 things replaced with slightly longer cables from 12 feet to 15 feet. All my stuff is in a cabinet below tv in a custom shelf unit and rolls out and rotates. The old cables were a bit too short and limited how I could move my tv on its mount
post #4025 of 4049 Old 02-04-2015, 07:03 AM

Repair shop just called. Said it needed a "software repair". Made no sense to me but pretty cheap so I am happy. I asked if in the future if this happened again is this something I could do at home? He said no, it isn't an update, the software is scrabbled and doesn't know who it is.
I have used these guys many times and is the best shop in town and pretty honest pricing, but doesn't make much sense to me.
Anyway, they are cleaning the thing and 'unscrambling ' my software for 100 bucks. At least I don't need a new receiver.
post #4026 of 4049 Old 02-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Well the software repair fixed the audio, but hdmi 1-3 are still dead. Back to shop. Guy says he tested all hdmi inputs the first time
post #4027 of 4049 Old 02-07-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
It hasn't been an issue until now, but I don't seem to be able to hook things to HDMI 1 through 3. The HDMI inputs that map to BD, DVD, and DVR work fine, but none of the others. Is there a setting I'm missing, or do I need to take it in for repair?

This sounds a lot like what is happening to me. What was the outcome for you?
post #4028 of 4049 Old 02-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
This sounds a lot like what is happening to me. What was the outcome for you?
Hi gamecock,

Can I ask you if you updated to latest firmware before this problem happened. Trying to see if there any relationship between issues happening with the SC-55/57 receivers and having an older firmware.

Seeing the previous post history of this tread I don't think anyone has ever successfully updated via internet (just never seemed to work) but only by USB stick/drive unless anyone can prove me wrong. If updates only worked by USB method I wonder why Pioneer never tested it (internet updates) before street release.

Thanks

Last edited by Edllguy; 02-08-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Additional content
post #4029 of 4049 Old 02-08-2015, 07:16 PM

The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread

Yes, I had latest firmware. There has been so few updates , I can't remember how I did it last.

I did send a PM to person who had similar issue quoted above. He did reply and didn't get it resolved. He moved it to another room that needed less inputs
post #4030 of 4049 Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, I had latest firmware. There has been so few updates , I can't remember how I did it last.

I did send a PM to person who had similar issue quoted above. He did reply and didn't get it resolved. He moved it to another room that needed less inputs
gamecock, I hope that you can get this issue resolved quickly. Hopefully your repair shop can diagnose and fix this problem as a reasonable cost.

Can you update us on the outcome. Feel for you, no one likes to have the brains of the home theater not working properly. All the best to you.

Last edited by Edllguy; 02-08-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added word.
post #4031 of 4049 Old 02-09-2015, 04:47 AM

Sure thing.
post #4032 of 4049 Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM

Well news came quick, but bad. The main hdmi board, there might have been another name (main digital video board), needs replaced. $410 bucks for part, they wouldn't charge labor.

Not sure it makes sense to spend that much vs buying something new
post #4033 of 4049 Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Well news came quick, but bad. The main hdmi board, there might have been another name (main digital video board), needs replaced. $410 bucks for part, they wouldn't charge labor.

Not sure it makes sense to spend that much vs buying something new
gamecock, sorry to hear about the outcome of your receiver issue, $410 bucks is a lot of money for a repair, whatever your decision is I just hope you get back your prior movie and music enjoyment that you enjoyed before this issue happened.

All the best.

Last edited by Edllguy; 02-09-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added words
post #4034 of 4049 Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi everyone....i have a SC-57. Haven't really set it up yet as i have been stuck in the Dedicated Theater Build Forum. Can anyone recommend subwoofers to connect to this receiver? Has anyone any tips on what to watch out for? I bought this unit prematurely when they were the big deal and apologize for not reading past posts. Thanks a million in advance.
post #4035 of 4049 Old 02-11-2015, 04:43 PM

I am not a big boomy guy. I like tight deep bass. I highly recommend the hsu uls-15. 1 is all 1 need
post #4036 of 4049 Old 02-11-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I am not a big boomy guy. I like tight deep bass. I highly recommend the hsu uls-15. 1 is all 1 need
Are the majority here using the Pioneer amp to push the subs ? I see alot of people buying Behringer INuke amps and blasting their heads off lol. I'm planning a half bar/ half theater...probably won 't need any extra push. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check them out.
post #4037 of 4049 Old 02-12-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Are the majority here using the Pioneer amp to push the subs ? I see alot of people buying Behringer INuke amps and blasting their heads off lol..
The sub outs are line-level, so no "pushing" is involved. People buying Behringer and iNuke amps are for passive subs that don't already have an internal plate amp.
post #4038 of 4049 Old 02-13-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw747 View Post
The sub outs are line-level, so no "pushing" is involved. People buying Behringer and iNuke amps are for passive subs that don't already have an internal plate amp.
Gotcha. Thanks!
post #4039 of 4049 Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Hi everyone....i have a SC-57. Haven't really set it up yet as i have been stuck in the Dedicated Theater Build Forum. Can anyone recommend subwoofers to connect to this receiver? Has anyone any tips on what to watch out for? I bought this unit prematurely when they were the big deal and apologize for not reading past posts. Thanks a million in advance.
I have recently added a pair of SVS sb2000 sealed subs.
They sound great. I bought them for music, they replaced a pair of cheaper ground firing JBL's
The JBL's were good movie subs, ported and boomy.
The SVS subs come with 500 watt amps.
I was a little concerned about the current draw from my 15 amp circuit,
but my Panamax shows plenty of head room even at high volumes.
post #4040 of 4049 Old 04-20-2015, 04:06 PM

Liked: 0
Does anybody know how to set the center channel to large on this reciever?
post #4041 of 4049 Old 04-20-2015, 06:15 PM

Liked: 0
Nvm, I didn't do anything differently (that I can tell,) and it's working now.
post #4042 of 4049 Old 04-26-2015, 10:03 AM
DTI

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Chief23 View Post
Does anybody know how to set the center channel to large on this reciever?

in manual sp setup / speaker setting
you have to set your fronts to large then that will let you change your center

diy projector dust enclosure http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7461/uZzubN.jpg
post #4043 of 4049 Old 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Zone 2 all of a sudden stopped working. I tried different configurations with Zone 2 and Zone 3 and nothing helped. I'm not trying to use a digital source, I know better than that.

I did a complete reset but no go. I went ahead and set it up as Speaker B which I guess is better since I can play all source types, but just wondering what could have happened to my Zone capabilities.
post #4044 of 4049 Old 06-04-2015, 08:23 PM

Hello fellow SC-55/SC-57 owners,

This receiver is about 4 years old now. To those that put a lot usage on this receiver is everything working as desired without any breakdowns or problems for you? Are you happy with this receiver even though it has been eclipsed by 4 generations of Pioneer receivers?

A documented complaint for this generation of receiver is the UE22 Error and when it occurs it can be a very costly repair ($400.00 to $500.00 for the part "DIGITAL MAIN ASSY-AWX9827 for the SC-57 and DIGITAL MAIN ASSY-AWX9824 for the SC-55" plus labor) if you have run out of warranty. According to Pioneer Parts this is the most expensive replaceable part out of all the parts listed for the SC-55/57. This part also has the chip that contains the firmware data and seems to be the culprit component that is failing.

I read somewhere that a calibrator that has professionally installed about 200 SC-55/57 receivers that he encountered about 4 of them failing with the UE22 Error. That's about a 2% failure rate but it could also be possibly higher.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks

Update: After some research the UE22 Error seems to be affecting 2011/2012 model years for Pioneer Receivers. I may consider starting a dedicated thread for this issue.

Last edited by Edllguy; 06-29-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added "Digital Main Assy" and part number and other minor additions.
post #4045 of 4049 Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have mine since Jan 2011, no issues, plays flawlessly. Still puts a lot of other receivers to shame.
Edllguy likes this.
post #4046 of 4049 Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
3.5 years of usage on a SC-57, no issues at all.
Edllguy likes this.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #4047 of 4049 Old 06-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Bought mine 4 years ago and it still works, knock on wood.
Edllguy likes this.
post #4048 of 4049 Old 06-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The UE22 error showed up on our SC-57 when turning it on after about 3 yrs of use. When it first showed up, it happened about 2 or 3 times a week. I could turn it off, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on and all would be well. I eventually just left it on. It worked that way for about 6 mos. when one day the UE22 showed up and wouldn't go away.

"HDTV makes today a great time to be alive"
post #4049 of 4049 Old 06-28-2015, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in OH View Post
The UE22 error showed up on our SC-57 when turning it on after about 3 yrs of use. When it first showed up, it happened about 2 or 3 times a week. I could turn it off, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on and all would be well. I eventually just left it on. It worked that way for about 6 mos. when one day the UE22 showed up and wouldn't go away.
UE22 first showed up about 3 weeks ago on my SC1527K this is a Canadian version of the SC65 - At first audio still worked with flashing UE22 and restarting would make UE22 go away, but it quickly worsened. I tried a reset and that worked for a short time but then failed; tried software upgrade via USB and net no luck. Now I have no flasing UE22 but no sound. It is a secondary receiver that I only use it for sound so I don't know about picture. Receiver is about 2 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver