post #451 of 4004 Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post

I compared the 2 in the store and the only difference that I thought I may use is the multichannel inputs. I am going to get a new elite blueray player when they arrive so playing dvdaudio and sacds will be covered anyways. The fine distance control is not something you would be able to distinguish sonically. I have a Harmony 890 RF remote already so that sealed the deal. I will tell you I am constantly using the airplay and remote control app from Pioneer on the ipad. It is pretty slick. For now, I am completely happy with the SC-55 purchase.

What is the size of your room? I am also considering SC-55. The only major difference i see between the both is the Select2 THX for SC-55 and Ultra2 THX for SC-57, i guess the difference between both the THX module is the size of the room. 2000 cu ft for Select2 and 3000 for Ultra THX.
Not sure if that is really important?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Liked: 10
I also just got an SC-57 Receiver, and then tried to install the firmware update and received the same error as you -

There is no update file.
Save the update file on the USB memory device.

and I have done everything to correct this as you have done - I am interested in how you solve this problem, but apparently it is not isolated to only one SC-57 unit.
post #453 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 AM

I just bought an SC-57 receiver and hooked the rear IR IN port to my Xantech IR control system The only problem with this setup is that the front IR Remote Sensor is not disabled and causes IR commends to be doubled. I solved the problem by taking an IR Transmitter and plugging it into the Pioneer IR Control In port next to the other port. With these two connections, the front IR Remote Sensor is disabled (ie - turned off).

Is there any other more elegant was to turn off the Front IR Remote Sensor other than attaching a perfectly good IR transmitter assuming that I do not want to chain the receiver to another Pioneer device through the control port.
post #454 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

What is the size of your room? I am also considering SC-55. The only major difference i see between the both is the Select2 THX for SC-55 and Ultra2 THX for SC-57, i guess the difference between both the THX module is the size of the room. 2000 cu ft for Select2 and 3000 for Ultra THX.
Not sure if that is really important?

The size of the room is just for the certification. They have the same exact amplifiers down to the letter. The only differences between the two are the things I listed already. You can't even see the THX emblems when each amp is in place anyways since it is printed on the top. I almost bought the SC-57 but I am glad I did not spend the extra money.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #455 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post

The size of the room is just for the certification. They have the same exact amplifiers down to the letter. The only differences between the two are the things I listed already. You can't even see the THX emblems when each amp is in place anyways since it is printed on the top. I almost bought the SC-57 but I am glad I did not spend the extra money.

My room is about 3000 cubic feet and the soundis amazing. The new SC is the smoothest and most effortless dynamics-capable amplifier I have ever had in there.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #456 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoulos View Post

I just bought an SC-57 receiver and hooked the rear IR IN port to my Xantech IR control system The only problem with this setup is that the front IR Remote Sensor is not disabled and causes IR commends to be doubled. I solved the problem by taking an IR Transmitter and plugging it into the Pioneer IR Control In port next to the other port. With these two connections, the front IR Remote Sensor is disabled (ie - turned off).

Is there any other more elegant was to turn off the Front IR Remote Sensor other than attaching a perfectly good IR transmitter assuming that I do not want to chain the receiver to another Pioneer device through the control port.

The most Elegant solution I was able to find:
http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.203122031.jpg

Just kidding, Sorry.
post #457 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoulos View Post

I also just got an SC-57 Receiver, and then tried to install the firmware update and received the same error as you

One more thing to try is download the file again, just in case the 1st download was corrupt.

If that one also fails, I'd put in a call to Pioneer tech support to discuss. If one poster can but 2 can't, that may indicate a AVR problem. IF you have followed the directions in the proper sequence: got inside the menu & selected "Software Update" BEFORE inserting the drive, and then select "Update via USB Memory" in the menu after you inserted the drive - and it isn't recognized, there's a possibility there's something wrong with the AVR.

In that case, you can return to dealer (within 30 days) or send to Pioneer service center. The sooner you act, then the more likely your chances of just trading it for a new one.

In fact, if it were me, I'd call ASAP & if cust support has no answer, then I'd be taking it back to the retailer/dealer immediately for a new one. Why fool with a repair when you can tell the dealer yours is defective.

One question I'd make sure to ask is WHICH USB drives have passed their compatibility testing. Since they make a point of saying some may be incompatible, how would they know this without testing?

And if they say they've done no compatibility testing, ask them do they expect the owner to just keep buying drives until they find one that works?

Frankly, I'd cut them no slack on an answer since I know of NO FAT formatted USB drives that are incompatible with a PC Also ask if there is a size limitation on the drives because if there is, Pioneer should have posted that information, too.

I can't think of any other possibilities IF both of you followed the directions to the letter. It doesn't seem likely that 2 people have tried brand name USB drives & all of them are incompatible....altho nothing is impossible, I guess.

Steve
post #458 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Does anyone know of stores in the SF Bay Area that have the SC-57 in stock? I've done some searching and so far come up empty-handed. Alternatively, a reputable online dealer. I've searched most of Pioneer's "authorized" online retailers with no success, and am a bit leery of the few that appear on Google's Shopping results page (because I've never heard of most of them before, and because I want to be sure the warranty is valid). Any help would be most appreciated. I'm new to this forum (so apologies if this question is out of line); reading the contents of this thread over the last few days has been quite an education. Thanks!
post #459 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintypes View Post

Does anyone know of stores in the SF Bay Area that have the SC-57 in stock? I've done some searching and so far come up empty-handed.

Have you checked Best Buy? Any store featuring a Magnolia Home Theater section should be able to order one for you...here in PA they are not carrying stock in any of the stores, but I was able to get one out of their warehouse in 5 days.

The product is on their website, but not always easy to find. The SKU number (2769319) may help in locating it.
post #460 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM

ARC

I have a new Viera (VT30) connected to my SC-57 via HDMI 1 on both units. I'm expecting the TV audio to pass down to the AVR using ARC, but I cannot get any sound with sources passed from the Viera. I made certain the TV sound is set to Home Theater instead of TV, so I'm expecting the problem is on the SC-57 side.

Any ideas on why the ARC is giving no love?
post #461 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintypes View Post

Does anyone know of stores in the SF Bay Area that have the SC-57 in stock?!

I got mine from the Pleasant Hill Best Buy and they had it in stock. This was a couple of weeks ago.

Like mentioned earlier, they can order and will usually have it in store within a week.
post #462 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoFreek View Post

Have you checked Best Buy? Any store featuring a Magnolia Home Theater section should be able to order one for you...here in PA they are not carrying stock in any of the stores, but I was able to get one out of their warehouse in 5 days.

I've been relying on the BB web site for stock status (which, it turns out, is not accurate for Magnolia items), and it has consistently been reporting "unavailable". On your advice I called BB San Carlos to try and order one and what do you know, they have one in stock. So I bought it. Thanks for the tip!
post #463 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm getting same "No file found" message when trying to update the FW from my SanDisk USB stick. On hold now with Pioneer.

I have a question about people's thoughts on an extended warranty for my SC-57. Tomorrow is my 30th day, so I need to decide.

I normally don't get extended warranties, but BB is offering theirs for $150 and it extends it to 4 years. What do some of you think?
post #464 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post

I'm getting same "No file found" message when trying to update the FW from my SanDisk USB stick. On hold now with Pioneer

Keep us posted on what they tell you.
A surprising situation considering their BD FW updates go so well. One would think they had checked this out thoroughly considering they're brand new models and they want to maintain the great reputation the SC's have had for reliability.

Steve
post #465 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

They had me reformat USB stick, try it on PC instead of Mac and walked me through steps with same results. They're referring this to "engineering" and I have a ticket against it.

Guess I shouldn't worry about this little bump with my 30 day return window ending tomorrow
post #466 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I don't think this has been posted yet, but I turned this up when I did a search on SC-57 info. I'm not a engineer, so I'm not sure if this plug for Class D amps is particularly informative, but the article on digital amps, followed by the more general video from CEDIA about the receiver sounds superficially good:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-more-musical/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cedia-v...-of-the-elite/

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #467 of 4004 Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM

The zip file is good - you would not be able to unzip the contents without warnings at minimum.

Also I downloaded it three browsers: firefox on Linux (OpenSUSE, 64-bit), firefox on Windows 7 (x64), and MSAHHHHIEEE, er MSIE on windows 7 (x64), and used unarc on Linux and 7zip on windows and all produced the same result. As pointed out by someone else I went way, /way/ beyond any efforts any nontechnical consumers would be capable of- I'd expect that most elite buyers would not know an MBR from a video codec.

As far as the contents are concerned? If the .mem file is corrupt it would indicate poor release engineering and crappy quality assurance methods on Pioneer's part.

You would think that at least one of the release or quality assurance engineers would be running a retail unit at home and would use the same method to upgrade that end users do.

Obviously since the product was released with a fatal defect the folks at pioneer aren't eating their own dog food!

----

Another gripe

Also, I finally sourced a PAL-to-F adapter for the antenna (surprisingly, You-do-It was cheaper than Amazon for once - but the clerk I spoke to never heard of the connector but eventually found it) -- /why/ did pioneer release the receiver to the American market with a connector almost never used in the US? BNC, F, or even screw or spring terminals would make more sense in this market given that practically no one sells antennae, adapters or interconnects with PAL terminators here in the USA!

---

On a more positive note: I could not be more happy with the sound quality of this receiver - even Dolby ProLogic decoding from stereo sources (Netflix, etc) is impressive!

---

I do have a lot of nits to pick with this receiver though - some are incidental and relate to packaging and the remote but it does impact the overall product. I will try to make the time to formulate all my thoughts into a well-written post. It won't be a full review though- all I have to say about the sound quality is that it is amazing
post #468 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post

Obviously since the product was released with a fatal defect the folks at pioneer aren't eating their own dog food!

that line almost sent coffee through my nose...

i'm stealing that one...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #469 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Chris.... Streaming DTS as Apple Lossless works fine with the first generation Apple TV, since it is, in reality, PCM data like Redbook audio.

I suppose that HMG was never really desgined to check for, or engage, a surround deocder.. which makes perfect sense since only some of.us crazy few have even tried to stream the few DTS CD's that were produced.

I agree with this sentiment. In fact, I have tried too set the Home Media Gallery on Direct Stream or Pure Direct Stream, then send a DTS CD from my iTunes, my iPad, or even from my Apple TV1. There is an initial less than 1 second white noise that starts off as the SC-57 realizes that the stream is not standard PCM (presume it also recognizes that it is a DTS stream). Then the airplay stream is totally muted and nothing plays through the receiver.

It seems to me that it could be a simple fix on Pioneer's part to allow decoding of DTS encoded CD streams through Airplay since it apparently already recognizes the stream as different and mutes it when the Home Media Gallery is set to Direct Stream or Pure Direct Stream.
post #470 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i'm stealing that one...

have to agree, it was a great line

amazing....take a brand new & otherwise good product, looks like maybe a half-as* job on posting a simple FW update.

combine this bump in the road with the drive failures in their $2000 BDP-09 BD player and makes you wonder about their QC....my own BDP-09 is doing just fine, but I don't have the big warm & fuzzy as much about it's build quality since there's a growing number of owners posting about drive problems now. Most are occurring after warranty expired...not good

this company is still a hoot to follow...good & bad

Steve
post #471 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamb View Post

The most Elegant solution I was able to find:
http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.203122031.jpg

Just kidding, Sorry.

I get the sentiment . Interestingly, Pioneer uses a translucent face plate in front of the remote sensor on the front panel to diffuse the IR signal. Placing a small amount of opaque tape (which I actually tried) over the spot where the sensor lies does not completely block out the IR sensor. Besides being unsightly, you would have to block half of the right side of the front plate to totally block IR signals from reaching the front remote sensor, or just place the receiver in a closed cabinet.

The manual (page 30) does mention that using two remote controls (at the same time) will disable the front remote sensor. I also connected a small mono mini-plug to RCA adapter (from Radioshack - about 1 inch in length) to the Pioneer Control In port with good success.
post #472 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i'm stealing that one...

"Eating your own dog food" is a common term used in tech. The reason is, using your own product on a daily basis is the best way to find the usability issues and fatal defects that product managers would otherwise consider to be "corner cases." A large part of the problem is in proprietary products developers just do their 9-5 (more commonly 8-6) job, go home and use product from other vendors (or open source) instead of their employer's own products, so they just fix the bugs assigned to them, and don't push for certain fatal defects to be bumped up in priority since PMs often consider even fatal defects to be very low priority when they are perceived as "corner cases" because they are thought to be seldomly encountered.

Using other vendors' products can be a good thing - even if a Pioneer engineer prefers Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/etc, it's a good exercise so you can see how the product you are developing compares to the competition. The problems arise when you don't use your product in the real word so you don't experiencing what end users are encountering.
post #473 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
you wouldn't by chance be a developer

it's ironic, I've just updated FW on a URC ipod dock for their hi-end touchscreen remote - from my PC to the dock over wireless LAN using the remote's software...not a hitch! And you guys are having problems from a normal stick? Not good for Pioneer's very 1st FW update on a brand new, top-of-the line model.

Over the yrs, I've done multiple motherboard BIOS updates myself, using floppy discs even, hard drive/ROM drive updates, DVD, HD-DVD & BD FW updates, including 2 Pioneer BD players, plasma TV, and NEVER had one fail or brick the device.

And Pioneer can't seem to understand how & why it isn't recognized from name brand USB memory sticks? Defies belief they allowed this to happen with brand new models and the 1st FW update - you'd think they'd be very cautious & tested the snot out of the file they posted

Just because it works on one AVR in the office doesn't mean it works on the ones sent from a different batch to retailers.

Steve
post #474 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post

On a more positive note: I could not be more happy with the sound quality of this receiver - even Dolby ProLogic decoding from stereo sources (Netflix, etc) is impressive!

---

I do have a lot of nits to pick with this receiver though - some are incidental and relate to packaging and the remote but it does impact the overall product. I will try to make the time to formulate all my thoughts into a well-written post. It won't be a full review though- all I have to say about the sound quality is that it is amazing

2 things..

The FW update fails for me also... I sent CS an email and they said I needed to call in... haven't had time yet..

Secondly... in the end, audio and video quality are the most important...

I keep trying to find the time to write up a post about the "perfect" AVR feature list that I've picked from all the other manufacturers... (i.e. Yamaha's Status GUI pop up, Denon's translucent GUI setup menu's, Pioneers iControl AV2 app, etc....)

Not one is perfect, but between the iPad app and Airplay, I am not missing the OSD GUI as much as I told myself I would (still, Pioneer, GIVE US OSD!!!!)

It is a great sounding AVR, however... liking it more and more every time I listen to it.
post #475 of 4004 Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Secondly... in the end, audio and video quality are the most important...

Agreed wholeheartedly

They still need to get their act together on providing FW updates & the other big item on your list - a for real OSD. No excuses - they're competitors' successfully been doing both for a number of yrs. Pioneer needs to step up.

Steve
post #476 of 4004 Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Bump
post #477 of 4004 Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Hello Has anyone compared the SC27 to the new sc's 55 or 57 thanks
post #478 of 4004 Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by patwho View Post

Hello Has anyone compared the SC27 to the new sc's 55 or 57 thanks

I have owned both the 27 and now the 57... it is a step up in functionality, features and video processing.

It was a long time ago with the 27, but from my recollection the audio is a step up also (the 57 is the smoothest of the Class D amps in the SC series to date, IMO.)
post #479 of 4004 Old 09-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Ok, this is my first Pioneer receiver (always had been onkyo before but due to three receivers, 906, 907, 5007) all with failed HDMI boards, giving up on that.

Ok - I use zone 2+3 line level out, connected to an amp. With every onkyo (and yamaha for that matter), you can control zone 2+3 volume, IE, the line level is variable or fixed.

I hooked up my SC-57 to my amp and it is clipping, too high volume. I tried everything but it appears zone2+3 is only fixed out, is that correct? If that is the case, I think it is a major short falling to not allow a fixed or variable out for zone2+3...

Anyone using zone 2 and/or 3 with an external amp, but controlling the zone 2+3 volume with SC-57? If so, HOW?????

Thanks a lot!
John
post #480 of 4004 Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post
I understand your complaint. Supporting NTFS is very difficult since our receivers run a unique operating system (Not linux or windows).
FUSE and NTFS-3G are open source and have been ported to several platforms. . . If your OS implements an API even remotely similar to Unix it should be fairly easy to port, or at least code a clean-room reimplementation. The difficult part will be sorting out patent issues with Microsoft. (on that note: damn software patents to hell)

Quote:
Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics
Sure! Before you continue development work on next year's models, how about fixing the firmware upgrade issue we're hitting? I'm hitting it on the SC-55 and others here on the SC-57, and if you scroll back in the thread you will see what I did in my efforts to install the upgrade.

Also, for next year, could you make the flagship's features a little more compelling? I really wanted the SC-57, but the feature set offered so little over the SC-55 that I just could not justify even the small price premium for the 57. Same amps, MCACC flexibility, and so on were so similar in capability that I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $200-$300 (real-world price) over the 55. Even keeping the RF remote with the flagship would have tipped the scale for me, but the flagship lost even that.

How about including a USB-programmable RF/IR remote with the receiver, similar in princple to a Harmony, only better, and offer it as an added-cost accessory for the lower-tier elites? I like the Logitech Harmony principle, but the implementation is pretty poor since you only get a subset of the OEM remote functions. Having a fully programmable AVR remote would be a big win. Also, how about a software suite, full web interface, or even an API that can provide crestron-like control (including sending remote codes to other components through the remote ports) over ethernet (rather than just RS-232) from a Mac or PC?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page