1Likes

post #541 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

long misinformed yelling rant... doesn't play well with others... etc.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post
Does he even own one? This posting masturbation is just strange to me.
Dunno......

Frankly, if there's a manufacturer, or model that I haven't found to my liking, I just don't spend my money with them.

There certainly plenty of other models and manufacturers out there to choose from.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #543 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
ss9001,

I posted a list of issues and potential concerns which is a compilation from this thread and was met with talking points with no substance from long term members as if it were a used car sales convention.
Far from Audio Video Science.

If you don't have anything good or constructive to write then don't write.

I have no beef with Pioneer they make some fantastic products.

I don't send, nor do I read or reply to PM's, I sated this long ago, have some thing good to say, write it here.

In my country, typing in all caps is whispering.
post #544 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

long misinformed yelling rant... doesn't play well with others... etc.

The information in that post was drawn from previous posts that are from this forum.

The long post of numbered issues was to be addressed to resolve or discredit issues that are false or non existent. I went through most of them already.

You all took that post, which it's not a rant, the wrong way. That's what happens when others take info. out of context and don't really read the content of the post. I see it happens a lot here.

You are on my ignore list also, ccotenj, and personal attacks are not welcome and if you are inciting a flame, your intentions are futile.
post #545 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Settle down, guys.

Opinions are fine but insults and trolling are not. If either of the two continue don't expect to stay in this thread.

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #546 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost80 View Post

Sometimes i wish i was born in America .

You don't have to born here, you just have to live here.

But Amsterdam is nicer than most of the U.S. anyway. My brother married a Dutch girl and they're planning to eventually move back to Amsterdam.
post #547 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post

18 pages and no one I could find has actually said how this unit sounds. Anyone?

I have only had the opportunity to audition it briefly in 2 channel mode, and my reaction was favorable. The fact that the on board power amp section doesn't sound as good as a stand alone $7K power amp is to be expected. More interested in sound processing capabilities as I'd use it as a preamp only.

Looking at this unit in place of a Cary Audio unit that has driven me crazy but sounds very good.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think it sounds that great. It sounds fine for movie soundtracks, but for CDs (whether listening via analog or HDMI), vinyl, FM and Pandora via the Blu-ray player, I actually think it sounds inferior to the 30-year-old stereo system it replaced: an Apt-Holman preamp, a Crown D75 power amp and a Sony STJ75 tuner (although maybe I'm just too used to the sound of the old system). I'm still using the same speakers: DCM Time Windows.

While it's much quieter than the previous system and probably has lower distortion, it's far less crisp and IMO, it has little definition and no personality. I will admit to being kind of disappointed. I thought this was going to blow my old system away. If I was listening to this system in a blind test, I would have identified it as a $200 receiver.
post #548 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

If I was listening to this system in a blind test, I would have identified it as a $200 receiver.

blind tests often provide results that are quite surprising to the test taker...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #549 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 211
zoetmb. The SC57 sounds bad because it has no ICEamps.

I kid, i kid.

Not gonna pretend that i don't thank god i got the SC37 though.

home theater addict
post #550 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM

I auditioned the SC-57 thru B & W's, twice, I'll put it this way,

saprano, +1
post #551 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio777 View Post

I auditioned the SC-57 thru B & W's, twice, I'll put it this way,

saprano, +1

I was only joking because they removed what made these receivers different. Heck, Year after year since SC-05/07, the elites were the only AVR's to bench test close to their rated power with 7 channels. I seen no other receiver do that.

Filmixer.

Better amp power gives you more headroom correct? I was comparing my 37 to my old onkyo 705(i randomly tinker with my equipment sometimes) and what takes, say, -15 on the onkyo to get really good sound, only took about -23 on the pioneer. Sound just effortlessly pours out my speakers.

home theater addict
post #552 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

more amp power gives more headroom...

that being said:

1) on a correctly calibrated pair of avrs, you should get the same spl from the same volume number... assuming both are using a relative volume scale...

2) the difference in spl between 100 watts and 150 watts (for example) is very small... keep in mind that it takes twice as much power to increase spl by 3db...

most users don't use nearly as much power as they think they do...

- chris

post #553 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I found that after running MCACC the receiver ended up calibrating all channel levels too low. I have to add 1.5db to each channel in order to read almost 75db on my SPL meter.

Anyone had this issue? Or may be is better to just adjust the main volume control a little louder?
post #554 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I was only joking because they removed what made these receivers different. Heck, Year after year since SC-05/07, the elites were the only AVR's to bench test close to their rated power with 7 channels. I seen no other receiver do that.

Filmixer.

Better amp power gives you more headroom correct? I was comparing my 37 to my old onkyo 705(i randomly tinker with my equipment sometimes) and what takes, say, -15 on the onkyo to get really good sound, only took about -23 on the pioneer. Sound just effortlessly pours out my speakers.

Of course to your headroom point..

In regards to the SC 57 to the other SC's that came before them, to my ears, in my system with the same speaker setup, the 57 sounds better to me than the SC 27 and 37's I owned on films that I mixed (which is always my benchmark...) And I loved the SC 37... I just like this better (and as you know, I'm not one to settle.)

The amps sound more like what I am used to listening to all day, which is effortless dynamics and clarity without strain, crunch or distortion...

Glad you are enjoying the SC-37... it's a fantastic unit.

And they are still different... just not ICEPowered, but D3 powered (which is a different ball game than anyone else out there.. but I think I got your point, even if the other poster didn't .
post #555 of 3999 Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Another member pointed out this Audioholics "First Look" article on the SC's from two weeks ago... some cool information..

I've copied some of the more interesting sections below.

Looking to get some clarification from Chris Walker about the Pre Amp Mode section... seems a bit nebulous to me..

I am sure we all eagarly await to see what the bench tests show...

Enjoy!

Audioholics SC Series First Look

Quote:

We spoke with Pioneer about the concerns we had with past products using the ICE modules (ie. SC-07) when driving 4 ohm loads and they claimed these their new D3 module is much more robust at handling low impedance loads. This is something we look forward to bench testing via a formal review. Both models are rated at 140wpc x 9 (1KHz) with an estimated power consumption of 370 watts (which is likely a 2 channel driven estimate).

The new Class D3 amplifier technology built into the SC receivers illustrates Pioneer's engineering capabilities and further proves our expertise in the home theater space, said Chris Walker, director AV marketing and product planning for the home division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. These receivers can truly reproduce the dynamics of uncompressed audio soundtracks from sources such as Blu-ray.

Class-D3 Power Statement

The Class D3 amplifier is said to deliver extremely fast response (speed) rate, provide exceptionally detailed midrange frequencies, and generate high dynamic range with all channels driven. Pioneer's Class D3 amplifier features include:

Power Efficiency - The Class D3 requires much less energy to produce more continuous power output per channel. The design of the amplifier assures high dynamic range from any source, lower impedance capability, and exceptional high fidelity sound, even in multi-zone mode.

Improved Thermal Dissipation - Redesigned from previous generations, the large aluminum heatsink is top mounted to achieve 360 degrees of heat dissipation. The technique enables heat generated during use to radiate from the top and bottom of the unit to increase reliability and high performance at any volume level.

Direct-Thru Signal Path - The amplifier section was reconfigured to achieve a much shorter audio signal path. A third shorter than last year's design, audio signals are directed one-way from the audio input side to the power supply, eliminating any looping through the circuit board or the need for a loop circuit which can cause feedback, noise, and ringing, especially in the high frequency audio band.

THD Improvement - The Direct-Thru Signal Path design combined with a less circuitry design resulted in improved switching characteristics. The amplifier produces virtually no noise with a total harmonic distortion (THD) rating of .003 percent (rated at 100W).

Pre-Amp Mode - The SC receivers feature advanced preamp processors supporting the latest surround formats such as DTS NeoX, sound enhancements, network content and network control. Users can take advantage of its full multi-zone capabilities assigning the preamp and speakers outputs independently. When channels are set to the off position, the power supply and associated components are shut down for efficiency and to reduce heat production.

Air Jam - Encouraging social connectivity via entertainment devices, Pioneer's free Air Jam App is available from the Apple App Store on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch or at www.apple.com/appstore/. Compatible with both SC models, the app allows pairing of up to four devices via Bluetooth (optional AS-BT200 Bluetooth adapter required). Once linked, each individual can cue songs from their own music library to create a shared playlist to play back on the AV Receivers. Each connected device also displays the list of songs added by all the users and which device a song is playing from. The Air Jam App conveniently stores the lists of songs created for each session for future purchases at the iTunes Store.

Our Initial Impression

Pioneer has seemed to come a long way since their first generation of Class D ICE powered A/V receivers. From their press release, spec sheets and interviews with their tech staff at CEDIA, it was clear to us that Pioneer has taken our constructive criticism and praise of their predecessor products we reviewed quite seriously by significantly upping the ante in both performance, efficiency and durability. Packed with the latest in A/V processing and functionality, these products appear to be a trend setter in the upscale A/V receiver marketplace. We are quite excited to learning more about these products with a detailed evaluation forthcoming.

post #556 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think it sounds that great. It sounds fine for movie soundtracks, but for CDs (whether listening via analog or HDMI), vinyl, FM and Pandora via the Blu-ray player, I actually think it sounds inferior to the 30-year-old stereo system it replaced:

I have pretty much given up on finding an AV preamp or receiver that is as good sounding as hi fi separates. I run a dual purpose system with a different amplifier path for the CD and vinyl playback - much of my listening is vinyl based.

I have been impressed with the sound of the Cary I have been auditioning - much better than the previous Lexicons I have used, and wanted the newer sound decoding capabilities, but I'm not prepared to put up with some of the idiosyncracies of the Cary - muting for 4 secs. plus whenever you change a track so that you end up starting a song in a concert DVD part way in, for instance.

It seems counter-productive to pay for (in the case of the Pioneer) 9 channels of power amplification I will never use, and I wish they just made an AV preamp I could insert in my existing system.

Maybe the SC-57 isn't the solution for me, but I am open to any suggestions of what might be - good sounding, no obviousl glitches, preferably preamp only......help!!!
post #557 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you could look into the marantz av7005...

note: i'm not really one who falls into the "separates are intrinsically better" camp though...

- chris

post #558 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Pre amp

May be this one?

http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm
post #559 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post

I have pretty much given up on finding an AV preamp or receiver that is as good sounding as hi fi separates. I run a dual purpose system with a different amplifier path for the CD and vinyl playback - much of my listening is vinyl based.

I have been impressed with the sound of the Cary I have been auditioning - much better than the previous Lexicons I have used, and wanted the newer sound decoding capabilities, but I'm not prepared to put up with some of the idiosyncracies of the Cary - muting for 4 secs. plus whenever you change a track so that you end up starting a song in a concert DVD part way in, for instance.

It seems counter-productive to pay for (in the case of the Pioneer) 9 channels of power amplification I will never use, and I wish they just made an AV preamp I could insert in my existing system.

Maybe the SC-57 isn't the solution for me, but I am open to any suggestions of what might be - good sounding, no obviousl glitches, preferably preamp only......help!!!

If you are going to keep the external amp(s), may I suggest you also look into Integra. If you are not familiar with them, they are the upper line (much like Elite is to Pioneer) for Onkyo. The a great pre-amps and have balanced pre-outs as well, all the same features as their receivers minus the amps...
post #560 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions (I need a prepro so the Emotiva isn't a solution) I'll look at both Marantz and Integra. So hard to be able to audition this sort of thing in any meaniungful way - the vendors here hardly want to bother taking them out of the box and think you should be buying based on the spec list - after all, they all sound the same, right....
post #561 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well... not to open a huge can of worms, but yea, run flat, thay likely pretty much all sound the same...

ime, with "any decent modern equipment that works right", it's really the flavor of room correction that differentiates how stuff "sounds"...

ime/imo/ymmv...

- chris

post #562 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

^^^

well... not to open a huge can of worms, but yea, run flat, thay likely pretty much all sound the same...

Yeah, probably not a discussion worth pursuing. I do indeed hear differences in many different units, sonically speaking - the Cary is far better than either Lexicon unit I had, for instance. I'm not a geek that likes listening to wires, BTW, just a hobbyist that is focused on 2 channel, looking for a little of the magic you can create with the right gear in that setting.

I'll look seriously at the Marantz; the Integras don't seem to be represented in Canada.
post #563 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

gotcha... no worries from me there...

yea, check out the av7005... i was rather fond of mine when i had it... rock solid from day 1, no quirks and rather attractive sitting in a rack...

- chris

post #564 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

This Marantz may be is good but is UGLY!

Just my opinion, of course
post #565 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol... well, i thought it was rather attractive... but then again, it replaced a dog ugly integra 9.9, so it's possible i was damning with faint praise...

- chris

post #566 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Filmixer.

I know you were kiddin'. The SC-57 sounds good, but that set up at BB must have been trash, cause compared to the SC-35 that one day it was so weak, gotta be set up user errors or something and especially cause it clipped at -15db, definitely something wrong there. I can't wait to see a bench test on it from Audioholics.

"The SC-57’s Class D3 9-channel amplifier is the most powerful amplifier of any multi-channel A/V receiver Pioneer has ever produced. Keeping the new audio formats of the Blu-ray Disc format in mind, Class D3 takes high-resolution multi-channel audio to a whole new level of immersive performance

Rated at 140 watts x 9 channels is a lot of power but is not the whole story. Where the SC-57 really shows its unprecedented power output capability is when driving multi-channels simultaneously without losing significant per-channel output. Class A/B amplifiers simply cannot match the efficiency of Class D3 as their power output per channel diminishes rapidly when more channels are added to the work-load. This kind of unprecedented power capability allows you to appreciate the full dynamics from any media source in a way never before possible. The ability to drive more channels, simultaneously, means you can fully reproduce all of the dynamics and impact of high definition multi-channel Dolby and DTS soundtracks with up to 9 channels of the highest quality power output available today."

They aren't going to market it as sounding worse than ICE or A/B's
post #567 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

^^^

lol... well, i thought it was rather attractive... but then again, it replaced a dog ugly integra 9.9, so it's possible i was damning with faint praise...

I still think Pio Elite SCs are the nicest looking AVRs on the market.

The newer Marantz is nice....just hard to see what it's doing from across the room.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #568 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i can't disagree with that... although my current unit is pretty snazzy looking too...

- chris

post #569 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 PM

I saw someone mentioned Pioneer appeared to have fixed it. I downloaded the firmware again; it was the same filename(s) but the contents were different. This time the AVR recognized the firmware and it's updating; as I type this it just made it to 100% and rebooted. Within two minutes I'll know.

. . . and sure enough the firmware update fixed the Rhapsody sign-in issue. I like Rhapsody for my iPhone, but it's disappointing on the AVR; the low bitrate is very apparent on the few tracks I tried so far.
post #570 of 3999 Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM

hello every one here it gos
first im looking at getting a pioneer sc-55 9.1 but i was wondering if i use a 2 channel amp also if i will get the front high and wide and have a 11.1 system

2nd i have 1 pair of pioneer s-iw50 there 6in speakers and 1 s-iw531-lcr
and 3 pair of the s-iw851-lr to get the 11 speakers i need two more.

should i use the s-iw50 for the front highs or wides our use them for the rears.

and should i use the s-iw851-lr for the front, sides and rear and the s-iw531
for the center.or should i get a s-iw551 for the center and get one more s-iw531 and use them for the fronts or sides or front sides. our just get one more pair of the s-iw851-lr and use them for the front sides thank all of you for your help
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page