The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 4006 Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Walkamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

I'm really glad to hear all of this. After being concerned about the departure from the iceamps, I'd say most of our fears are somewhat lessened. I really like the new look (unfortunately it won't match my relatively old 151 and bdp-05 once I hook it up), and, although the rf remote was fantastic, I understand the deviation very well.

That's interesting; I always though the 35 ran pretty cool.

That's completely unfair to us.

What do you say about running 4 ohm speakers on the 57; I know at least dating back to the vsx-94txh and continuing today, with the exception of the sc-09, Pioneer has not officially supported running 4 ohm speakers. That said, myself and many others have run 4 ohm loads without a hitch. Is there any chance of the next model being "officially" capable of running 4ohm speakers. That, along with a usable OSD for volume, etc., are my only features I'd like for the future.

Thanks


I think you will be very pleased with the sound quality of the new Amps. Our resident speaker guru (Andrew Jones) was very pleased. We even have the SC-55 connected to a pair of TAD Reference ones ($70,000 a pair) that we will be listening to tomorrow.

As far as a matching Blu-ray player we have those coming as well (The are very nice, and for your reference I use an OPPO BDP-93 right now, but will soon be replacing it with our new high end model).

Let me get back to you on the 4 ohm issue. I want to confirm something.

As far as what you are calling a usable OSD Overlay, what information would you like to see?

I noticed your handle says Coltsfreak. Are you in Indianapolis? If so, will you be coming to Cedia. If you do make I would be more than happy to walk you through the booth...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics
Walkamo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 4006 Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coltsfreak18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post


I think you will be very pleased with the sound quality of the new Amps. Our resident speaker guru (Andrew Jones) was very pleased. We even have the SC-55 connected to a pair of TAD Reference ones ($70,000 a pair) that we will be listening to tomorrow.

As far as a matching Blu-ray player we have those coming as well (The are very nice, and for your reference I use an OPPO BDP-93 right now, but will soon be replacing it with our new high end model).

Let me get back to you on the 4 ohm issue. I want to confirm something.

As far as what you are calling a usable OSD Overlay, what information would you like to see?

I noticed your handle says Coltsfreak. Are you in Indianapolis? If so, will you be coming to Cedia. If you do make I would be more than happy to walk you through the booth...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics

I bet those reference ones sound fantastic; I've never been given the opportunity to hear them, unfortunately. I'm glad to hear that you are replacing that oppo, which is currently my favorite bd player, with the new pioneer.

With regard to the OSD, I'm not really sure what I'd want, besides the ability to display volume, surround mode, and the channel display (pretty much everything on the AVR front panel). All I know is that I don't like using HDMI-CEC to do that because it only gives you volume in an arbitrary number instead of a decibel reading. I don't know if they changed that in the past few years because in that room I've kept the VSX-94TXH with a kuro and haven't really worried about replacing until now. I know I could use the iPad for controlling and viewing these things, but oftentimes (as in most of the time) I won't have my iPad handy.

No I'm not in Indy; I used to live a few hours away, but I moved off to more southern places. Unfortunately, there's no way I'd make it to CEDIA; I think there is a gun show in town this weekend.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
coltsfreak18 is offline  
post #33 of 4006 Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
marine92104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

These are both 9.2 channel amps, so they will be able to do your standard 7.1 (w/SB channel) plus EITHER front wides OR front heights in addition to another subwoofer (.2).

I'm confused at your response.

Can you run the back speakers in a 7.1 setup with the front height speakers at the same time to make it 9.1?

In the previous model you couldn't run both at the same time.

Can you with this new model? Walkamo can you confirm if you can do this or not?

If not I'll stay with my SC-37.
marine92104 is offline  
post #34 of 4006 Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

I think you will be very pleased with the sound quality of the new Amps. Our resident speaker guru (Andrew Jones) was very pleased. We even have the SC-55 connected to a pair of TAD Reference ones ($70,000 a pair) that we will be listening to tomorrow.

As far as what you are calling a usable OSD Overlay, what information would you like to see?

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics

Chris.... based on my 2 days listening, I do think these amps are something special... dare I say one of the more refined, and smooth... the Onkyo 5008 was effortless, but I think these feel as powerful, without the high end tilt... really great... it's been a while since I owned my other SC's, but I think all of the speculation about the move away from ICE/B&O will be quashed by anyone who hears these... and I am sure they will test as advertised.

Not Coltsfreak, but I have been very vocal about the OSD for years.. volume when it is changed is a start.

When changing inputs, the name of the input and the incoming video resolution, along with the audio codec, and channel count, is nice.

Example:

" BLU-RAY 1080/24p
DTS-HD MA 3/4/1 DN +0 "

An additional icing on the cake would be a status button which then shows audio input/output (surround mode and dialog norm) and video in and out...

In my opinion, the current x008 Onkyo's have it right.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #35 of 4006 Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

I'm confused at your response.

Can you run the back speakers in a 7.1 setup with the front height speakers at the same time to make it 9.1?

In the previous model you couldn't run both at the same time.

Can you with this new model? Walkamo can you confirm if you can do this or not?

If not I'll stay with my SC-37.

You can run 7.1 + Heights or Wides at the same time with the 9 internal amps on the 57..

That is actually how the amp comes setup from the factory.

From page 59 of the manual:

Quote:


When you select 9.1ch FH/FW, you can select from:

! SP: FH/FW ON – Front height or front wide channels are added to the front, center, surround and surround back channels (maximum 7 channels) and a maximum of 9 channels are output. The front height and front wide channels are switched automatically according to the audio input signal.

! SP: FH ON – Front height channels are added to the front, center, surround and surround back channels (maximum 7 channels) and a maximum of 9 channels are output.

! SP: FW ON – Front wide channels are added to the front, center, surround and surround back channels (maximum 7 channels) and a maximum of 9 channels are output.

FilmMixer is offline  
post #36 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics

Hello Chris,

As long as you're asking

the previously mentioned independent crossovers per channel would be very helpful

and (hate to sound like a CD on repeat - used to say broken record )
an upgrade package for the SC-09TX/LX90 susano and if Pioneer's budget permits, a susano II model with the latest features. Just a new model alone won't help existing owners who've spent a lot on the flagship, we really could use an upgrade/update package, the minimum updates we'd want are PQLS on HDMI, Dolby PLIIz/NeoX.

Thanks for listening

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #37 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
SSaull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Bensalem, Pa.
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Frankly, I am a little disappointed to hear that the SC-35 that I purchased in January has amps that Pioneer says suffer from ringing, and are much less efficient than the ones in their new Elites. I waited 6 years to replace my VSX-54TX, always fearing that I might not be happy with anything else.
The improvement in sound quality from the 54 to the 35 was nothing short of astounding, in my opinion. Having said that, reading the marketing guy's take on the improvements in this year's models makes me wish I had waited............

SDS
SSaull is offline  
post #38 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Newbie
 
stimpy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

I wonder how you guys were able to reach such a low price without cutting corners. I'm not saying you did, but does having reduced amounts of circuitry components really cut the price as much as it seems to have? Could you disclose where most price reductions came from, or are the reductions just from advances in class D amp technology?

The reason it is so inexpensive, is because us europeans are paying over 50% more than you are for the same product. You fancy paying $3266 for the same product? Not looking so great now, is it? Oh well, maybe it's me, and it just costs $1266 to have it shipped...

This sort of practice should be made illegal.

I have an aging Pioneer AX5Ai, the last of the decent analogue amps, and was thinking about upgrading to last years model (SC-37 but the EU equivolent), but the lack of Airplay support actually put me off, as I saw this feature coming from a mile away. I was going to purchse the 57 (SC-85 in the EU), and have no problems spending over $3000 for one, it's just now I wont on principle of not wanting to be ripped-off just to help you guys in the US be able to afford yours. The whole world is in financial decline, not just the US. This kind of thing builds resentment, and now my money will not go to Pioneer. See if that helps you out...

I'm sorry for the tone of this, but when I found out the price difference (I was just going to pre-order a 57 (SC-85) today) and it just totally rubbed me the wrong way, and im really dissapointed, as I love my AX5Ai, and wanted to stay with Pioneer.
stimpy88 is offline  
post #39 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WiWavelength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy88 View Post

The reason it is so inexpensive, is because us europeans are paying over 50% more than you are for the same product.

. . .

I was going to purchse the 57 (SC-85 in the EU), and have no problems spending over $3000 for one, it's just now I wont on principle of not wanting to be ripped-off just to help you guys in the US be able to afford yours.

How do you arrive at the conclusion that for this Pioneer AVR a higher price in the EU specifically subsidizes a lower price in the US?

AJ
WiWavelength is offline  
post #40 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Senior Member
 
marine92104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

You can run 7.1 + Heights or Wides at the same time with the 9 internal amps on the 57..

That is actually how the amp comes setup from the factory.

From page 59 of the manual:

That's good news.

The way the press release for the SC-37 I thought you could run the rear speakers in a 7.1 with the front height speakers at the same time.

You couldn't. Just wanted to make sure with this receiver you could.

Thanks for verifying.
marine92104 is offline  
post #41 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coltsfreak18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post


That's good news.

The way the press release for the SC-37 I thought you could run the rear speakers in a 7.1 with the front height speakers at the same time.

You couldn't. Just wanted to make sure with this receiver you could.

Thanks for verifying.

That's what I tried, albeit a bit poorly, to explain to you in my last post. When I said both are able to output 9.2, I meant 55 and 57. The previous sc receivers ONLY could output to seven different channels plus one sub. These output to 9 channels plus two subs.

Filmmixer- If you are listening to stereo sources, can you output front, front wide, and front height at the same time in addition to two subs? That would be neat.

Ssaul, everyone suffers from buyer's remorse when new stuff arrives. Don't get hung up on it, the 35 sounds great, and if you have had it since January and not noticed any ringing, then you probably won't.

Stimpy, I'm sorry for your frustration, but most things are similarly marked up in Europe in my experience. It likely isn't, as others have said, to lower the us price, but I can understand your frustration. I've noticed pioneer Europe has long been more expensive that pio USA.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
coltsfreak18 is offline  
post #42 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

As much as I'm excited for them and their entirely reasonable price, I wonder how you guys were able to reach such a low price without cutting corners. I'm not saying you did, but does having reduced amounts of circuitry components really cut the price as much as it seems to have?

I think in the case of the 57, not including the ~$400 RF remote package as standard is a start.

I also assume there was a licensing cost involved in using the ICE Power amps from B&O.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #43 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

Filmmixer- If you are listening to stereo sources, can you output front, front wide, and front height at the same time in addition to two subs? That would be neat.

Only have a 7.1 setup. (not a big believer in heights and wides.. just my personal preference.)

The subs arene't stereo, just a mult output, which requires no additional processing.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #44 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSaull View Post

Frankly, I am a little disappointed to hear that the SC-35 that I purchased in January has amps that Pioneer says suffer from ringing, and are much less efficient than the ones in their new Elites. I waited 6 years to replace my VSX-54TX, always fearing that I might not be happy with anything else.
The improvement in sound quality from the 54 to the 35 was nothing short of astounding, in my opinion. Having said that, reading the marketing guy's take on the improvements in this year's models makes me wish I had waited............

I you go back an look at the materials you read/saw, you will see that the ringing required additional circuitry and design with the ICE modules.. it's not an audible issue.

You've had 8 months of enjoyment without waiting (and these receivers should last for years..)

You shouldn't feel any regret about owning a fantastic product.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #45 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Member
 
DavidPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bothell, WA (Seattle area)
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Denon AVR-5600 which I have loved. I am looking at the SC-55 as a replacement due to its amps and (finally) getting digital video switching . Plus the amps in the receiver driving the front left and right speakers are dying .

One question - Can these receivers output both multi-channel output and a combined stereo output at the same time? I have my system as the hub for my home theater in my family room but I feed line-levels out to a whole-house audio system with a separate switcher and amps. When I play music through my HTPC (e.g. Windows Media Center or equivalent), that channel is 5.1, which sounds great in the room. However, the sound the rest of the house gets is just the front left and right channels. I'm really hoping this receiver can output a stereo signal at the same time so I don't have to switch the audio mode in the family room.
DavidPotter is offline  
post #46 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
moparfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Perhaps you have explained this earlier, if so, just link to your previous posts.

I know you work professionally in the field, could you list what type of equipment you use?

It also seems that you are a serial receiver owner. What are you looking for in your receivers vis-a-vis what you do professionally? Basically, are you still looking for sound accuracy as referenced to what you did in the studio or are you speaking as an enthusiast (i.e. more audiophile sounding)? I just want a reference when you talk about sound.



Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I you go back an look at the materials you read/saw, you will see that the ringing required additional circuitry and design with the ICE modules.. it's not an audible issue.

You've had 8 months of enjoyment without waiting (and these receivers should last for years..)

You shouldn't feel any regret about owning a fantastic product.

moparfan is offline  
post #47 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Newbie
 
stimpy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

How do you arrive at the conclusion that for this Pioneer AVR a higher price in the EU specifically subsidizes a lower price in the US?

AJ

Because I really can't see any other reason (for such a large difference, a smaller one to allow for shipping costs etc, is expected...). Price gouging is commonplace for companies that sell goods and services globally. Higher prices in so called "richer" territories. I really don't know how some companies arrive at these conclusions. Yes, our wages are slightly higher than the US, but we pay far more tax, and tax is also applied to a wider range of items and services here, so we have about the same income/expenditure.

I simply can't believe that the reason such an already expensive item is more than 50% higher in price here, is down to different (maybe) PSU and power cable. I'm pretty sure PSU technology is not what it used to be when HiFi had a voltage selector on the back, meaning it's more than likely the same PSU as the US version.

If you have a better idea, please share it with me. I just can't imagine how you are going to justify such a crazy price difference.
stimpy88 is offline  
post #48 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WiWavelength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

If you have an iPad, download the app and use it in demo mode... but it is much cooler in actual use.

You not only get volume information on the control home page.. but codec, dialog normalization value, surround mode, access to video processing parameters, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

More information on the status page like dialog norm setting and input channel count (I see the speakers light up, but something like Dolby Digital 3/2/.1, dialog norm + 4. would be great.)

FilmMixer, can you clarify your two statements above? The first indicates that iControlAV2 does display audio status info, but the second seems to indicate just the opposite.

AJ
WiWavelength is offline  
post #49 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
moparfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Plus you guys get VAT. When I see the tons of tourists in midtown NY, that's why they are buying electronics like crazy. That said, why not start another thread?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy88 View Post

Because I really can't see any other reason (for such a large difference, a smaller one to allow for shipping costs etc, is expected...). Price gouging is commonplace for companies that sell goods and services globally. Higher prices in so called "richer" territories. I really don't know how some companies arrive at these conclusions. Yes, our wages are slightly higher than the US, but we pay far more tax, and tax is also applied to a wider range of items and services here, so we have about the same income/expenditure.

I simply can't believe that the reason such an already expensive item is more than 50% higher in price here, is down to different (maybe) PSU and power cable. I'm pretty sure PSU technology is not what it used to be when HiFi had a voltage selector on the back, meaning it's more than likely the same PSU as the US version.

If you have a better idea, please share it with me. I just can't imagine how you are going to justify such a crazy price difference.

moparfan is offline  
post #50 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coltsfreak18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I think in the case of the 57, not including the ~$400 RF remote package as standard is a start.

I also assume there was a licensing cost involved in using the ICE Power amps from B&O.

Good call on the remote; I forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Only have a 7.1 setup. (not a big believer in heights and wides.. just my personal preference.)

The subs arene't stereo, just a mult output, which requires no additional processing.

I, as well, only have 7.1 (but possibly getting another sub with the 57), but I'd bet stereo sources like music sound fantastic with 6.2 channels (LR, LW, RW, RH, LH, 2 subs). I know that the subs aren't stereo, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPotter View Post

I currently have a Denon AVR-5600 which I have loved. I am looking at the SC-55 as a replacement due to its amps and (finally) getting digital video switching . Plus the amps in the receiver driving the front left and right speakers are dying .

One question - Can these receivers output both multi-channel output and a combined stereo output at the same time? I have my system as the hub for my home theater in my family room but I feed line-levels out to a whole-house audio system with a separate switcher and amps. When I play music through my HTPC (e.g. Windows Media Center or equivalent), that channel is 5.1, which sounds great in the room. However, the sound the rest of the house gets is just the front left and right channels. I'm really hoping this receiver can output a stereo signal at the same time so I don't have to switch the audio mode in the family room.

You can have 5.1 channels in zone 1, 2 channels in zone 2, and 2 more channels in zone 3. You also can have 7.1 channels in zone 1 and 2 channels in zone 2. So yes, you can output the stereo signal at the same time while listening to a surround signal in your HT.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
coltsfreak18 is offline  
post #51 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Newbie
 
mountrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post


I understand your complaint. Supporting NTFS is very difficult since our receivers run a unique operating system (Not linux or windows).

Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics

Video switching would be great! Like having the baseball game on in the background while listening to music from another source.
mountrunning is offline  
post #52 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WiWavelength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy88 View Post

Because I really can't see any other reason...

That you assume there could be no other reason does not make it so. Rather, you need to show evidence that Pioneer decided, "Let's soak the Danes for all they've got so that we can give the Americans a nice price break." Additionally, "price gouging" is not really an economically appropriate term in this instance unless a Pioneer AVR is a necessity, we are under civil emergency, and/or Pioneer has anti competitive market share.

For an equally compelling theory to explain your higher prices, maybe Bang & Olufsen convinced the Danish government to place massive tariffs on Pioneer products because Pioneer dropped B&O ICEpower amp modules from its SC series AVRs this year.



AJ
WiWavelength is offline  
post #53 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coltsfreak18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

As far as a matching Blu-ray player we have those coming as well (The are very nice, and for your reference I use an OPPO BDP-93 right now, but will soon be replacing it with our new high end model).

Will the highest Elite player be Pioneer made or a rebranded sharp?

On a side note, somebody may want to fix the website where it says the SC-55 has more power output than the 57 (149x9 compared to 140x9)

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
coltsfreak18 is offline  
post #54 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WiWavelength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

A couple of notes.... unlike the newer Apple TV Gen 2, it appears to be streaming at 44.1 (the Apple TV sample rate converts everything to 48kHz...)

However, I still cannot play my DTS CD library like I could with my Gen 1 Apple TV.

Hmm, this is interesting. So, AirPlay (as implemented here) does not appear to be sample rate converting the audio, since it maintains the original 44.1 kHz sample rate. Alternatively, it could be sample rate converting everything to 44.1 kHz.

As for the inability to pass DTS CD WAVs, that also presents at least two possible explanations. The AirPlay data path is not bit transparent, perhaps due to aforementioned sample rate conversion. Or the path could be bit transparent, but the network receiver does not know what to do with a DTS bit stream.

AJ
WiWavelength is offline  
post #55 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Hmm, this is interesting. So, AirPlay (as implemented here) does not appear to be sample rate converting the audio, since it maintains the original 44.1 kHz sample rate. Alternatively, it could be sample rate converting everything to 44.1 kHz.

As for the inability to pass DTS CD WAVs, that also presents at least two possible explanations. The AirPlay data path is not bit transparent, perhaps due to aforementioned sample rate conversion. Or the path could be bit transparent, but the network receiver does not know what to do with a DTS bit stream.

AJ

AJ.. I suspect the later, as there is no output (i.e. undecided DTS bitstream static..)

Maybe HMG (the framework within which Airplay works) only deals with PCM.

It could also be that the Pioneer is reporting 44.1 input, but actually SRC'ing the stream..
FilmMixer is offline  
post #56 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

FilmMixer, can you clarify your two statements above? The first indicates that iControlAV2 does display audio status info, but the second seems to indicate just the opposite.

AJ

The control home page and status page are 2 different tabs/pages within the app.

The Home/Control page shows a big volume knob, and a one line display which shows Volume when changing, dialog norm offset briefly when the codec and/or value changes, and then shows the surround processing mode engaged. It also has a input selection section along the bottom (and when using a network connected BR player, controls, and when using HMG, you can expand it out to allow scrolling of the HMG options rather than using the remote.... really cool..)

The Status tab/page has an input and output column along with a graphic speaker/room layout for both input and output.

The audio status only shows codec input and fs... not channel count or DN setting. the speakers glow to show you how many channels, but it would be nice to have the actual #.

The video status gives you all the information you could want.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #57 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

Perhaps you have explained this earlier, if so, just link to your previous posts.

I know you work professionally in the field, could you list what type of equipment you use?

It also seems that you are a serial receiver owner.

I''m thinking about starting a support group called RA.

I can give you a link to my professional "home.." there is a list of the main gear on my stage.

Todd AO Studios Hollywood Stage 2

Quote:


What are you looking for in your receivers vis-a-vis what you do professionally? Basically, are you still looking for sound accuracy as referenced to what you did in the studio or are you speaking as an enthusiast (i.e. more audiophile sounding)? I just want a reference when you talk about sound.

I still haven't found the perfect receiver... I wish I could take all the little gems and make one..

My main goal is accuracy in reproduction so I can compare films on an equal footing...

I consider what I am lucky enough to work with on a daily basis to be of fairly hight quality, so I am always striving for a similar experience at home..
FilmMixer is offline  
post #58 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Newbie
 
stimpy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

That you assume there could be no other reason does not make it so. Rather, you need to show evidence that Pioneer decided, "Let's soak the Danes for all they've got so that we can give the Americans a nice price break." Additionally, "price gouging" is not really an economically appropriate term in this instance unless a Pioneer AVR is a necessity, we are under civil emergency, and/or Pioneer has anti competitive market share.

For an equally compelling theory to explain your higher prices, maybe Bang & Olufsen convinced the Danish government to place massive tariffs on Pioneer products because Pioneer dropped B&O ICEpower amp modules from its SC series AVRs this year.



AJ

Hahaha, I know what you mean I'm actually from England, so I'm looking at prices there, not Denmark. It's sometimes cheaper to drive to england and bring it back!

I totally get you about B&O, overpriced crap. But their stuff is nice if you put asthetics over SQ. Me personally, would rather spend my money on more higher quality hardware. If I had THAT kind of money

Oh well, enough of me moaning about price fixing...


FilmMixer, What are your thoughts on the SC-57 MCACC calibration, have you had chance to try it out yet? Is it the same as the previous models? And have you had the chance to flex that new D3 amp, to see what it's made of? One thing that bothers me, is that if you look at a picture of the amp PCB, the actual amp chips have no heatsinks on them. I'm sure thats fine for most volume levels, but what about when your enjoying a bit of "reference level" listening?
stimpy88 is offline  
post #59 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics

I forgot one of my long desired features that nobody offers:

A video frame buffer so we can advance the sound as well as delay it...

So much sound gets delayed in the process of production>transmission/broadcast.

A video buffer would allow you to make the sound earlier to picture..

You guys would be the first.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #60 of 4006 Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WiWavelength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

AJ.. I suspect the later, as there is no output (i.e. undecided DTS bitstream static..)

Maybe HMG (the framework within which Airplay works) only deals with PCM.

It could also be that the Pioneer is reporting 44.1 input, but actually SRC'ing the stream..

As networked audio is still in its infancy, it seems that the DSP section (which processes DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, etc.) and the network receiver (which processes MP3, FLAC, etc.) are like the proverbial right hand and left hand. The right hand often does not know what the left hand is doing and vice versa. In other words, it certainly has not been safe to say that, because an AVR can decode DTS, it can do so with a file via Ethernet or USB.

AJ
WiWavelength is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off