The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #991 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a sc-25, do the new units have any sub eq In The mcacc?also anyone have issues with it dropping dolby when watching tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 02:47 AM

Liked: 12
I'm considering upgrading to the 55 from a 94. My front speakers are biamped using a Yamaha m 1. When I upgrade I want to still biamp. Would you recommend instead of the Yamaha a pioneer elite m90 or emotiva upa 5? My speakers are klipsch epic cf 3's and I plan on having a 9.2 system. Thanks!
post #993 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney76 View Post

I have a sc-25, do the new units have any sub eq In The mcacc?also anyone have issues with it dropping dolby when watching tv?

no sub eq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post

I'm considering upgrading to the 55 from a 94. My front speakers are biamped using a Yamaha m 1. When I upgrade I want to still biamp. Would you recommend instead of the Yamaha a pioneer elite m90 or emotiva upa 5? My speakers are klipsch epic cf 3's and I plan on having a 9.2 system. Thanks!

i suggest you not bother bi-amping... i would also suggest that even a bargain basement avr will EASILY drive your speakers to ear bleeding levels, and that any additional amplification is merely jewelry...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #994 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

no sub eq.

i suggest you not bother bi-amping... i would also suggest that even a bargain basement avr will EASILY drive your speakers to ear bleeding levels, and that any additional amplification is merely jewelry...

I've notice an improvement with biamping currently , just trying to get an opinion on whether I should upgrade my Yamaha amp to a pioneer or emo when I go from the 94 to 55.
post #995 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

even if you choose to ignore the first part of my post, the second part answers your question...

but i doubt that will change your beliefs, either....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #996 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

My second biggest disappointment is home media gallery (hmg)

As far as I can tell it is 720x480 4:3 and there is no way to display a 1920x1080 jpeg directly onto a 1080p display

The dlna client in hmg is very primitive searching for music is time consuming and visually it is very spartan

The pause function doesn't work when streaming from a dlna server

Now I can understand pioneer's decision to have limited graphics in the receiver since there is icontrolav2

But that app does nothing to improve on the limitations of hmg and in fact is worse since it does not display as much information on songs as even the very primitive hmg onscreen display

Which leads to disappointment 3, icontrolav doesn't do everything that the remote does

And I would say the only way to find this out is to buy these things and use them as the documentation is almost completely lacking
LL
post #997 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

I think icontrolav is the future

If you don't have an iPad with this receiver you are really missing out

Wow, that looks far more useful and less gimmicky than the iPhone version.
post #998 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

^^^

even if you choose to ignore the first part of my post, the second part answers your question...

are you saying that because of his speakers...or
generally speaking?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #999 of 3997 Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post

Wow, that looks far more useful and less gimmicky than the iPhone version.

Just for zone control it is worth using icontrolav2

The graphics are good but they didn't use all that room effectively, in particular for hmg

Viewing calibration data is really cool feature but you can't actually run mcacc from the iPad
LL
post #1000 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

I don't know what that means; if it means bi-amping, then yes, but if it means tri-amping (I get that from the t), then no.

Are you saying that you don't have front height or front wide channels?
The front height channel is used to bi-amp the front speakers in a 7.1 channel, the front wide outputs bi-amp the speaker B selection, and the surround back channel bi-amps either the center channel or the surround channels. Your speakers MUST be bi-ampable and have two sets of red/black speaker connectors (one high and one low). If your front height channel connectors are free, then you can connect those to the fronts and bi-amp them through the setup menu.

Technically, bi-amping does not double the power output; it does increase it, and it helps the crossover very much.

Sorry.

First, congratulations to all of the forum and excuse me for the english.
I began to read this threadd because i was interested in buying a new receiver to replace my very old Pioneer. I have just been ordering the SC-57 but i still have not received it (live in Brazil ... rs).
I want to make biamping in the frontal speakers of two systems, that will receive the same source. 5.1 system A and a couple of stereo B. By which i could understand of the manual, i can use any of amplifiers available to make the biamping.
For example: with the front speakers A connected in Front, would use Front Height for biamping and in set B connected in Front Wide, would use Surround Back. Am I correct?
My doubt, is how the receiver will know who is the set A and set B, if i put the B in Front Height? Is this possible?
Please to meet you.
post #1001 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

are you saying that because of his speakers...or
generally speaking?

Warren

Since I'm the poster I'm curious too.
post #1002 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 AM

I am new to this forum so if not posted to the correct location, please point me in the right direction.

I would like to use my Denon AVR 5600 as an external amplifier to drive some outdoor speakers I have.

I have already connected seven speakers to my SC-57 in my main listening area plus a pair of speakers in zone 2 (dining room) and zone 3 (kitchen). I know there are several pre-out jacks but they seem designed to provide addtional power to existing speaker selections.

Is there a way to add my Denon to this system so I can drive 2 or more sets of additional speakers while using the Pioneer as the source for whatever input I choose?
Thanks for any help you can provide
post #1003 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post

Since I'm the poster I'm curious too.

Yea, ME TOO!
post #1004 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

The problem with the remote. Is that it really needs twice as many keys and doesn't have a display or feedback from the receiver

I think icontrolav is the future

If you don't have an iPad with this receiver you are really missing out

Yes, but buying a $500 iPad increases the cost of the receiver by a third. I don't want to have to spend that kind of money just for a better remote. While i appreciate that it's supported, Pioneer still needs to improve its own physical remote and the overall UI of the receiver. Besides, if you carry the iPad with you and you have a family, then you have the "remote" if they're home and want to watch/listen (or vice-versa).

In fact, I think the screen on the Pioneer itself should be a small bitmapped display (perhaps iPhone sized). I bet it would add only around $100 to the cost of the receiver. Maybe it even pops out to become the remote. That would provide a better UI and it would be upgradable.
post #1005 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv573 View Post

I am new to this forum so if not posted to the correct location, please point me in the right direction.

I would like to use my Denon AVR 5600 as an external amplifier to drive some outdoor speakers I have.

I have already connected seven speakers to my SC-57 in my main listening area plus a pair of speakers in zone 2 (dining room) and zone 3 (kitchen). I know there are several pre-out jacks but they seem designed to provide addtional power to existing speaker selections.

Is there a way to add my Denon to this system so I can drive 2 or more sets of additional speakers while using the Pioneer as the source for whatever input I choose?
Thanks for any help you can provide

You can use the VCR out jacks to drive the Denon. But (AFAIK) it would be the same signal you're listening to on the main system. You couldn't, for example, be watching a movie in the house and listening to a CD via the Pioneer for the outdoor speakers. But if that's what you want to do, just hookup a CD player to the Denon and keep the systems separate. Frankly, I've never understood this great desire to use Zones if you have to add another amplifier anyway.
post #1006 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Yes, but buying a $500 iPad increases the cost of the receiver by a third. I don't want to have to spend that kind of money just for a better remote. While i appreciate that it's supported, Pioneer still needs to improve its own physical remote and the overall UI of the receiver. Besides, if you carry the iPad with you and you have a family, then you have the "remote" if they're home and want to watch/listen (or vice-versa).

In fact, I think the screen on the Pioneer itself should be a small bitmapped display (perhaps iPhone sized). I bet it would add only around $100 to the cost of the receiver. Maybe it even pops out to become the remote. That would provide a better UI and it would be upgradable.

You can use an iPod or iPhone too or any number of android solutions, in my house there are two iPods,an iPhone, and iPad, if You weren't going to take advantage of AirPlay you should have got yourself one of the smoking deals on the sc37s

And as far as 'taking the remote with you" that it why there is the cheap current remote

You want pioneer to develop a remote that is just like an iPod only cheaper? It ain't going to happen

Just look at the cost of the wifi adaptor

You can buy an rf remote for your receiver, it is last years sc37 remote, of course it will set you back $300 and it doesn't have a screen

The sc57 cheaper this yea than the sc37 and I am guessing that remote is a big reason

So if you were willing too pay $100 more just for a screen, that would have been hard to see anyway, go fork over $200 for an iPod and you can stream music all day long over AirPlay
post #1007 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

Chris...I concur. I've tried bi-amping with two sets of different speakers, with two different AVRs/amps. No improvement. Matter of fact, less wiring is always better than more.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1008 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borda View Post

First, congratulations to all of the forum and excuse me for the english.
I began to read this threadd because i was interested in buying a new receiver to replace my very old Pioneer. I have just been ordering the SC-57 but i still have not received it (live in Brazil ... rs).
I want to make biamping in the frontal speakers of two systems, that will receive the same source. 5.1 system A and a couple of stereo B. By which i could understand of the manual, i can use any of amplifiers available to make the biamping.
For example: with the front speakers A connected in Front, would use Front Height for biamping and in set B connected in Front Wide, would use Surround Back. Am I correct?
My doubt, is how the receiver will know who is the set A and set B, if i put the B in Front Height? Is this possible?
Please to meet you.

It appears you can not biamp front and speaker b

Check the diagrams in the us manual and see if one of them matches what you need

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions060711.pdf
post #1009 of 3997 Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Chris...I concur. I've tried bi-amping with two sets of different speakers, with two different AVRs/amps. No improvement. Matter of fact, less wiring is always better than more.

That is because your cables weren't resolving enough. You need something like Audioquest WEL signature cables at 11k for a 3ft run! The issue arises where now your cables are TOO resolving for the speakers holding the biamping back so you then have to upgrade your speakers to something like a Wilson Audio AX at a bare minimum, but then the electronics... OH WHAT A VICIOUS CIRCLE!

post #1010 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 03:52 AM

Hello, I need some help. I want either the 55 or 57. I have a 5.1 system and will not be upgrading any time soon. What are the differences between the two. What is the ten speaker config. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Are the amps the same? Thanks Pat
post #1011 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patwho View Post

Hello, I need some help. I want either the 55 or 57. I have a 5.1 system and will not be upgrading any time soon. What are the differences between the two. What is the ten speaker config. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Are the amps the same? Thanks Pat

Most of those questions are answered multiple times in this thread already - there is a lot of great info here and you would do yourself well to read through it.

As far as the 10-speaker layout, here is what the AVR supports:

(1) front center
(2) front wide
(2) front height
(2) front mains
(2) surround
(2) rear surround
(2) LFE (subwoofer)

So there is a total of 11.2 (-2.0) you can select from, since this AVR is limited to 9.2 channel processing.

Check out pp 13-15 and 17-21 of the manual* for info on speaker configurations.

* downloadable here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions060711.pdf - both the SC-55 and SC-57 are covered in the same user manual.
post #1012 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Amps are rated the same power, but the 55 is THX select certified, and the 57 THX ultra certified. Don't really know why since they both are rated at 140 watts.

The only other differences I know of are in the fine adjustments for exact speaker settinges, which down to .5" is close enough for me. The auto room correction is supposed to be slightly better on the 57 also. It wasn't worth another $400 to me so I went with the SC-55 and I love it.
post #1013 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

Filmixer went through both recievers at the start of this tread, go there!
post #1014 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Over the weekend, I replaced my SC-37 with the SC-57. All I can say is "Wow", big difference.

Bill
post #1015 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Hello, Thank you all , I did read but I guess I'm a newbie I did not really understand so thanks again!!
post #1016 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

That is because your cables weren't resolving enough. You need something like Audioquest WEL signature cables at 11k for a 3ft run! The issue arises where now your cables are TOO resolving for the speakers holding the biamping back so you then have to upgrade your speakers to something like a Wilson Audio AX at a bare minimum, but then the electronics... OH WHAT A VICIOUS CIRCLE!

I knew it was something I was overlooking.

PS....need an opinion here. I've decided to sell my slightly (and I do mean slightly) used SC27. Suggestions on if AVS or eBay is better?

post #1017 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

selling it to fund those cables?

ime, i've had good luck selling quite a few things here... might get a few less dollars for it, but that's likely made up by not having to pay fleabay fees...

- chris

post #1018 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

selling it to fund those cables?

ime, i've had good luck selling quite a few things here... might get a few less dollars for it, but that's likely made up by not having to pay fleabay fees...

Chris...kind of leaning towards selling it here. At least it would have a dedicated audience vs the "will it fit in my trunk to power my '82 Honda's speakers?" group that could turn up on "fleabay".

I've only sold one thing here. Turned out well. Probably give it another shot.

The SC27 is an excellent AVR (as are all the SCs). My Denon 4311 fits perfectly for what I'm using it for (especially Audyssey XT32 and dual sub integration).

Now, I have to take pics and put it "for sale".

post #1019 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

might as well... you don't HAVE to sell it (shame on you for not adding on to the land of misfit a/v equipment btw ), so if it sits for a few weeks, it's no biggie...

yup, it is a great avr... you should have no problems selling it for a decent price...

i see you are liking life on the dark side...

- chris

post #1020 of 3997 Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 PM

Does anyone know how to force the sc-57 to output rgb 16-235? Out of the box the only mode that looks correct with my PRO141-FD is YUV 4:4:4. From my calibrators recommendation its probably best that i leave my Kuro's colorspace hard coded to 16-235. Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page