The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread
FilmMixer's Avatar FilmMixer 06:27 PM 11-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkotch1 View Post

Has anyone else had a problem trying to playback 5.1 sa/cd or dvd-audio via HDMI?

I'm in mid setup (sc-55) and everything is going fine except for my pioneer dv-48av which i only use for sa/cd and dvd-audio. I can't get the receiver to recognize anything but 2 channels (LR). Nothing has changed in my settings (although i did go back and double check and try them all on the dvd player) and it all worked fine with my previous onkyo receiver (805).

Is there a setting i'm missing on the sc-55? Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

Make sure the DV is set to output video at either 720 or 1080...

edkotch1's Avatar edkotch1 06:45 PM 11-05-2011
thank you.

But i'm afraid I wasn't thorough enough though in my description. Video works fine. It's purely an audio issue.

I can't get the receiver to detect anything but 2 channel audio. SR, SL, and SW won't show up. Even when i selected HDMI auto output on the DV, and even when i selected HDMI LPCM 5.1 specifically.

I'm wondering if there's a setting i'm missing on the sc-55 or some way to force select it to multichannel hmdi?

or is this any sort of known issue (i looked around the threads and didn't see anything, doubly bizarre to me that it with another pioneer unit).
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 06:49 PM 11-05-2011
^^^

the avr only will take what you give it... it doesn't say "give me mch"... it's passive in this sense...

do what filmmixer suggested... many players will not output mch audio via hdmi unless set to a "hd" video resolution output...
purdyd's Avatar purdyd 06:56 PM 11-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkotch1 View Post

thank you.

But i'm afraid I wasn't thorough enough though in my description. Video works fine. It's purely an audio issue.

I can't get the receiver to detect anything but 2 channel audio. SR, SL, and SW won't show up. Even when i selected HDMI auto output on the DV, and even when i selected HDMI LPCM 5.1 specifically.

I'm wondering if there's a setting i'm missing on the sc-55 or some way to force select it to multichannel hmdi?

or is this any sort of known issue (i looked around the threads and didn't see anything, doubly bizarre to me that it with another pioneer unit).

It could be in stereo mode
edkotch1's Avatar edkotch1 07:06 PM 11-05-2011
you guys rock. it was the 1080p setting even though it's only a 480p dvd player (which i never would have suspected.)

oddly the onkyo took the signal but whatever. it works. thank you!
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 08:49 PM 11-05-2011
^^^

cool! glad you are up and running...
bnewt's Avatar bnewt 06:18 AM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Check to make sure that the HDMI Output cable from the receiver to the TV is plugged in on both ends. Make sure the TV input is tuned to the correct input.

On the receiver, go to the input setup and make sure that HDMI 1 is still routing to HDMI 1.

One thing you might consider in your setup (not that this has anything to do with your problem) is what I do: I plug the cable box directly into the TV, not the receiver. On the few occasions when I want the TV show sound to go to the receiver, it's handled via the audio return channel of the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. If you turn on the control functions it works really well - if you shut off the receiver or change inputs, the sound automatically shifts back to the TV. The only disadvantage is that you can't use the TV analog audio inputs on the receiver if you use the ARC. But if your only other input is the BD player, that won't matter anyway.

Did the SC35/37 have this feature?
nbarco's Avatar nbarco 01:56 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio777 View Post

PIONEER CUSTOMERS, LET'S MAKE A LITTLE LIST OF ISSUES AND CONCERNS ABOUT THE PIONEER ELITE SC-57,

HERE'S SOME **ROUGH** NOTES AND POSTS
LET'S SEE HOW MANY ISSUES WE CAN FIX OR DISCOVER WORK AROUNDS.

SC-57 ISSUES
1. USB FIRMWARE UPDATE - DOES NOT WORK, O.K. IN SOME CASES IT HAS
2. DISTORTION AT -10db THRU B & W CM9'S, AT BB
3. 2 BAD SC-57'S IN A ROW, COLTSFREAK

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1352164&page=5

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...352164&page=13

4. POWER RATING IS IN 1kHz, RATINGS AT 1 kHz ARE BAD THEY NEED TO BE DONE IN 20 TO 20,000 Hz, SO THE ABOVE 140 IS MORE LIKE 90 THE STATED 9 CH'S X 90 = 810W total power

5. I have tried too set the Home Media Gallery on Direct Stream or Pure Direct Stream, then
send a DTS CD from my iTunes, my iPad, or even from my Apple TV1. There is an initial less than 1 second white noise that starts off as the SC-57 realizes that the stream is not standard PCM (presume it also recognizes that it is a DTS stream). Then the airplay stream is totally muted and nothing plays through the receiver.

It seems to me that it could be a simple fix on Pioneer's part to allow decoding of DTS encoded CD streams through Airplay since it apparently already recognizes the stream as different and mutes it when the Home Media Gallery is set to Direct Stream or Pure Direct Stream.

6. The zip file is good - you would not be able to unzip the contents without warnings at minimum.

Also I downloaded it three browsers: firefox on Linux (OpenSUSE, 64-bit), firefox on Windows 7 (x64), and MSAHHHHIEEE, er MSIE on windows 7 (x64), and used unarc on Linux and 7zip on windows and all produced the same result. As pointed out by someone else I went way, /way/ beyond any efforts any nontechnical consumers would be capable of- I'd expect that most elite buyers would not know an MBR from a video codec.

As far as the contents are concerned? If the .mem file is corrupt it would indicate poor release engineering and crappy quality assurance methods on Pioneer's part.

You would think that at least one of the release or quality assurance engineers would be running a retail unit at home and would use the same method to upgrade that end users do.

Obviously since the product was released with a fatal defect the folks at pioneer aren't eating their own dog food!

----

7. Another gripe, Also, I finally sourced a PAL-to-F adapter for the antenna (surprisingly, You-do-It was cheaper than Amazon for once - but the clerk I spoke to never heard of the connector but eventually found it) -- /why/ did pioneer release the receiver to the American market with a connector almost never used in the US? BNC, F, or even screw or spring terminals would make more sense in this market given that practically no one sells antennae, adapters or interconnects with PAL terminators here in the USA!
8. Ok, this is my first Pioneer receiver (always had been onkyo before but due to three receivers, 906, 907, 5007) all with failed HDMI boards, giving up on that.

Ok - I use zone 2+3 line level out, connected to an amp. With every onkyo (and yamaha for that matter), you can control zone 2+3 volume, IE, the line level is variable or fixed.

I hooked up my SC-57 to my amp and it is clipping, too high volume. I tried everything but it appears zone 2+3 is only fixed out, is that correct? If that is the case, I think it is a major short falling to not allow a fixed or variable out for zone2+3...

Anyone using zone 2 and/or 3 with an external amp, but controlling the zone 2+3 volume with SC-57? If so, HOW?????

8.5 A SC-57 CLIPPED AT BB -15db THRU B & W'S , SALE PERSON COULDN''T
FIGURE IT OUT . NOT GOOD

9. Can you adjust the 9 band EQ and listen to music or audio as you do it?
Answer: Nope you can't.

The cool remote on the SC-37 is gone on the new 55/57 models.

10. Your formats out of date Examples:

LPCM- Maximum 48 khz 2 ch 20 bit (in your sc- 57 )
When there are newer Format to "lpcm " 96 khz 8 ch and 24 bit
How can I pay a FOR receiver $ 2,100 with old technology?
Can you fix it with " firmware" ?

AAC – Maximum 48 khz 2 ch 16 bit (in your sc- 57 )
When there are newer Format to " AAC AND HE-AAC " Why not you give us new formats ?
AAC supports up to 96 kHz
aacPlus - Bitrate of 448kbps for 5 channel surround
Can you fix it with " firmware" ?

WAM 9 - Maximum 48 khz 2 ch 16 bit (in your sc- 57 )
When there are newer Format " Windows Media Audio Professional"OR
Windows Media Audio Lossless
support audio resolutions of up to 96 kHz and up to eight discrete channels (7.1 channel surround).

Why should I pay $ 2,100 on a new receiver with older formats

11. kimvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo
I understand your complaint. Supporting NTFS is very difficult since our receivers run a unique operating system (Not linux or windows).
FUSE and NTFS-3G are open source and have been ported to several platforms. . . If your OS implements an API even remotely similar to Unix it should be fairly easy to port, or at least code a clean-room reimplementation. The difficult part will be sorting out patent issues with Microsoft. (on that note: damn software patents to hell)
Quote:
Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics
Sure! Before you continue development work on next year's models, how about fixing the firmware upgrade issue we're hitting? I'm hitting it on the SC-55 and others here on the SC-57, and if you scroll back in the thread you will see what I did in my efforts to install the upgrade.

Also, for next year, could you make the flagship's features a little more compelling? I really wanted the SC-57, but the feature set offered so little over the SC-55 that I just could not justify even the small price premium for the 57. Same amps, MCACC flexibility, and so on were so similar in capability that I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $200-$300 (real-world price) over the 55. Even keeping the RF remote with the flagship would have tipped the scale for me, but the flagship lost even that.

How about including a USB-programmable RF/IR remote with the receiver, similar in princple to a Harmony, only better, and offer it as an added-cost accessory for the lower-tier elites? I like the Logitech Harmony principle, but the implementation is pretty poor since you only get a subset of the OEM remote functions. Having a fully programmable AVR remote would be a big win. Also, how about a software suite, full web interface, or even an API that can provide crestron-like control (including sending remote codes to other components through the remote ports) over ethernet (rather than just RS-232) from a Mac or PC?

THE SC-57 HAS HUGE POTENTIAL.

A YAMAHA RXV-3900 THAT BENCHES AT 100 WPC, 8 OHMS, FIVE CHANNELS DRIVEN, AT 20 TO 20K KHz, HOLDS IT'S OWN NEXT TO A SC-37.

THESE AVR'S ( 3900, SC-37, SC-57) ARE ALL IN THE SAME LEAGUE. EXCELLENT VIDEO AND AUDIO QUALITY.

THE SC-37 RF REMOTE IS FANTASTIC.

POWER EQUALS CLARITY, USUALLY, AT HIGHER VOLUMES, THAT'S ONE REASON WHY PEOPLE BUY EXTERNAL AMPS.

LISTEN TO A SC-57 AND THEN TO A SC-37, WHAT EVER YOU PERSONALLY LIKE BEST, IS THE WINNER.

You stated that the power output rating at 1kHz is bad in comparison to a traditional 20-20,000 kHz rating. This is incorrect. The reason this receiver is rated at 1kHz is because distortion is higher at lower and higher levels, while almost non-existent at the 1kHz level. The D3 amplification in this receiver was designed to reduce the THD at the reference listening levels versus scaling up from 20kHz. This is a more realistic measurement as it takes into consideration the listening at realistic levels. So 1kHz is the belly of the curve and the distortion climbs from there.

I just purchased one of these units and it is amazing. In comparison to the unit it replaces a vsx-92txh, the SC-55 has better processing and richer sound. Now, the 92txh at a comparable decible output is much louder. In my 25 x 35 room the 92txh at 0db was unbearably loud, while the SC-55 sounds tolerable and great at this level. Also, the app cpntrol with the iPhone is awesome.

I give it 5 stars. Runs amazingly cool, too.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 02:00 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarco View Post

You stated that the power output rating at 1kHz is bad in comparison to a traditional 20-20,000 kHz rating. This is incorrect. The reason this receiver is rated at 1kHz is because distortion is higher at lower and higher levels, while almost non-existent at the 1kHz level. The D3 amplification in this receiver was designed to reduce the THD at the reference listening levels versus scaling up from 20kHz. This is a more realistic measurement as it takes into consideration the listening at realistic levels. So 1kHz is the belly of the curve and the distortion clibs from there.

I just purchased one of these units and it is amazing. In comparison to the unit it replaces a vsx-92txh, the SC-55 has better processing and richer sound. Now, the 92txh at a comparable decibel output is much louder. In my 25 x 35 room the 92txh at 0db was unbearably loud, while the SC-55 sounds tolerable and great at this level. Also, the app cpntrol with the iPhone is awesome.

I give it 5 stars. Runs amaizingly cool, too.

the first part is an interesting theory, but a little off base...

the part i bolded is physically impossible.... distorting to give the illusion of "too loud" maybe, but dbs are dbs...
nbarco's Avatar nbarco 02:15 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancel View Post

Has anyone compared the sc-55 and 57 side by side? Was there any difference in sound?

No difference in sound as they ahve the same amplification core and wattage. The main difference is that the 57 has 192kHz/32 bit DACs vs. 192kHz/24 bit DACs, precision distance, and weighs a little more. Both have the shi....st power cords I have ever seen, in fact they fit so loose that if it moves a little it will disconnect.

My honest thoughts, after listending to both and getting the SC-55, don't spend the extra $400. Also, the remote is garbage, the old 92txh I replaced had a better remote.
nbarco's Avatar nbarco 02:17 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the first part is an interesting theory, but a little off base...

the part i bolded is physically impossible.... distorting to give the illusion of "too loud" maybe, but dbs are dbs...

Maybe I explained incorrectly. The display at -17 on the 92 txh is as loud as -5 approximatley on the SC-55.
kimvette's Avatar kimvette 02:18 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:

the dB scale on an AVR volume control can't be compared model to model; it refers to relative power output. In fact, it doesn't even coincide with the actual SPL changes in your room, if you check with a sound meter. A volume change of .5dB to 1dB on the AVR volume control is readily audible, but by definition a 1dBa change in SPL would be only barely audible. Now, this can vary depending on the efficiency and impedance of your loudspeakers; there could be a case where an increase of 1dB, 3dB, or whatever happens to scale exactly in coincidence with the SPL produced by the loudspeakers, but I think that would

In other words, comparing a "unity" (0dB) amplifer gain (volume) setting between an SC-57, SC-37, SC-09, and $foomatic AVR does not really mean much. 0dB is merely the "reference level" or "unity" (as in no gain nor attenuation of the input signal; that is, the signal of the input from the source device is theoretically the same as the output of the preamp - but it doesn't always mean that either!!!) setting of the gain control on an amplifer, mixer, recording device, etc. - and not necessarily an industry-standard reference level (such as THX) but what that manufacturer's engineering department considers reference level for a given model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...t-1144106.html
http://ask.metafilter.com/168339/Why-so-negative
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 02:28 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:

Maybe I explained incorrectly. The display at -17 on the 92 txh is as loud as -5 approximatley on the SC-55.

then one of the two is calibrated incorrectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post

the dB scale on an AVR volume control can't be compared model to model; it refers to relative power output. In fact, it doesn't even coincide with the actual SPL changes in your room, if you check with a sound meter. A volume change of .5dB to 1dB on the AVR volume control is readily audible, but by definition a 1dBa change in SPL would be only barely audible.

see above... sorry, but no... with a correctly calibrated avr and a logarithmic volume control, "0" reflects reference, the rest of the scale follows logarthmically from there... x db's off of refernce is x db's off reference, no matter which way you cut it...

if you raise the volume control 1db, the difference in spl will be 1db...

if it was absolute (and linear), then yes, you couldn't compare...
dancel's Avatar dancel 03:24 PM 11-07-2011
Can anyone recommend a good power cord replacement for the sc-55/57? One that will hold better, well just actually better than the it comes with.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 04:20 PM 11-07-2011
any cable with the correvt iec connector will work... monoprice has them cheap...

alternatively, live with it... is it falling out?
patwho's Avatar patwho 04:27 PM 11-07-2011
Hello Do the 55 and 57 have the macc and amps? Some one was saying that the 57 weighed a little more and the macc was different between the two. Thanks
bsoko2's Avatar bsoko2 04:54 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by patwho View Post

Hello Do the 55 and 57 have the macc and amps? Some one was saying that the 57 weighed a little more and the macc was different between the two. Thanks

Read the first post of this thread!
Zaxdad's Avatar Zaxdad 04:59 PM 11-07-2011
Hi All.
Been out of the HT arena for a while. Based on info on AVS I purchase a SC-07 a few years back. Bought it refurbed from Pioneer for great price. I have Mirage
omd 15s a omd 2 c center. An entry level SVS sub with an anti-mode sub eq. Would upgrading Would a sc-57 or a 4311 make a worthwhile difference? My room is modest in size.14 x 22 with a symmetrical slanted ceiling.
Thanks for any input.
patwho's Avatar patwho 05:01 PM 11-07-2011
I'm sorry I did but the points I brought up were said in this thread some where. Thanks
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 05:11 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post

Hi All.
Been out of the HT arena for a while. Based on info on AVS I purchase a SC-07 a few years back. Bought it refurbed from Pioneer for great price. I have Mirage
omd 15s a omd 2 c center. An entry level SVS sub with an anti-mode sub eq. Would upgrading Would a sc-57 or a 4311 make a worthwhile difference? My room is modest in size.14 x 22 with a symmetrical slanted ceiling.
Thanks for any input.

well

according to some in this thread that have owned the SC37 and now the SC37

they say the SC57 sounded better to them

I used to own a SC07 and now own an SC37

I think the SC37 sounds better than the SC07 did...less bright sounding

so..if those are indicators

I would say you are in for a definite upgrade going from the SC07 to the SC57

Warren
dancel's Avatar dancel 06:05 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:

any cable with the correvt iec connector will work... monoprice has them cheap...

alternatively, live with it... is it falling out?

not falling out, just looking for a secure cord thats all.
Swamibob's Avatar Swamibob 07:50 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancel View Post

Can anyone recommend a good power cord replacement for the sc-55/57? One that will hold better, well just actually better than the it comes with.

You don't need to replace it. Unplug it, wrap around it 2 or 3 times with electrical tape, and re-insert. It will be tight as you want it and will not just fall out any more if you are moving cables. The cord AWG is plenty for the current draw; the plug end just isn't quite big enough for the hole.
Swamibob's Avatar Swamibob 08:02 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:

When my SC-55 auto calibrated, it set the reference to 70db instead of 75db, at least according to my decibel meter in the manual speaker setup area. I think it is normal for this amps auto adjustment. I think if you manually readjusted it to 75dB in the speaker setup they will be a lot closer. Most people say it doesn't really matter, so I didn't adjust it. Some people say the mic that comes with it is better than a hand held db meter which is another reason I didn't adjust it louder manually. The only problem I have is sometimes I have to turn it all the way up to 0 to get it as loud as I want it and i have it to max at 0 for safety sake when playing dlna to it. When I play my PS3 on it 0 is not even quite loud enough, at least not on gran turismo 5, so I think I may go and bump them up to read 75db manually.
moparfan's Avatar moparfan 08:42 PM 11-07-2011
I can't get close to being in the same room anywhere close to 0 with movies or music.

92db speakers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post

When my SC-55 auto calibrated, it set the reference to 70db instead of 75db, at least according to my decibel meter in the manual speaker setup area. I think it is normal for this amps auto adjustment. I think if you manually readjusted it to 75dB in the speaker setup they will be a lot closer. Most people say it doesn't really matter, so I didn't adjust it. Some people say the mic that comes with it is better than a hand held db meter which is another reason I didn't adjust it louder manually. The only problem I have is sometimes I have to turn it all the way up to 0 to get it as loud as I want it and i have it to max at 0 for safety sake when playing dlna to it. When I play my PS3 on it 0 is not even quite loud enough, at least not on gran turismo 5, so I think I may go and bump them up to read 75db manually.

bsoko2's Avatar bsoko2 11:36 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post

My 57 came in at 72 Db. I checked the speakers with a spl meter and the mains, center, and wides came in at 72 Db with all surrounds at 71 Db. Perfect sound!
Swamibob's Avatar Swamibob 11:41 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

I can't get close to being in the same room anywhere close to 0 with movies or music.

92db speakers here.

Mine are 90.5db speakers, av123 rockets RS850's and bigfoot for the front stage. Bluray movies and music are loud enough for sure but sometimes tv (not the commercials) or ps3 i'm pushing it close to 0 if not.

Should I actually adjust to 75db manually? All of mine read 70db all the way around, including the surrounds.
iknown's Avatar iknown 11:18 AM 11-08-2011
I am currently upgrading my speakers to KEF Q900 and Q600 (for center). Could anyone please share their experience on using Pioneer Sc-57/55

The dealer was recommending to take the Marantz route and I am wondering anyone tries KEFQ900 with Pioneer SC-57/55.

-iknown
Allen Hallada's Avatar Allen Hallada 12:01 PM 11-08-2011
Hey Folks,
I'm not new to the forum, just haven't been here in years. Just upgraded to Pioneer Elite SC57 and Elite 70" LCD TV. I'm trying to get the ARC to work but haven't had any luck yet. I called Elite TV tech support and have things set up on their end. I'm plugged into HDMI 1 of the TV as they said and changed the link settings on the TV to allow for ARC. I'm plugged into the receiver's HDMI output (control) #1. Is there a setting on the receiver I need to make a change to in order to get it to work?

Thanks a bunch!

Also I called Pioneer Elite Receiver tech support on the two HDMI outputs capability and the tech support person said it will only mirror to another monitor from one source through the second HDMI output. The second HDMI output only does video mirroring according to him and not audio. Good to know.

Allen
Allen Hallada's Avatar Allen Hallada 01:13 PM 11-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hallada View Post

Hey Folks,
I'm not new to the forum, just haven't been here in years. Just upgraded to Pioneer Elite SC57 and Elite 70" LCD TV. I'm trying to get the ARC to work but haven't had any luck yet. I called Elite TV tech support and have things set up on their end. I'm plugged into HDMI 1 of the TV as they said and changed the link settings on the TV to allow for ARC. I'm plugged into the receiver's HDMI output (control) #1. Is there a setting on the receiver I need to make a change to in order to get it to work?

Thanks a bunch!

Also I called Pioneer Elite Receiver tech support on the two HDMI outputs capability and the tech support person said it will only mirror to another monitor from one source through the second HDMI output. The second HDMI output only does video mirroring according to him and not audio. Good to know.

Allen

Ok, got it figured out on the ARC. Need to go into System Setup/HDMI Setup/TV Audio/change to via HDMI.

Thanks to Pioneer Customer Service for the fast service!
Jim Clamage's Avatar Jim Clamage 01:38 PM 11-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hallada View Post

Hey Folks,
I'm not new to the forum, just haven't been here in years. Just upgraded to Pioneer Elite SC57 and Elite 70" LCD TV...
Allen

Hi Allen, I recently upgraded to the SC-57 and Elite 70 as well and am thoroughly enjoying both. How's your experience been so far?
Tags: Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop