1Likes

post #91 of 4005 Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

An advantage of this receiver is, obviously, the 9.2 channel output. As such, more channels can be biamped (that is correct, correct?). The Sc-55/57 manual (page 14 or 15) states pretty clearly all of the biamping configurations. Note: The SC-55 does not support
these, only the 57.

You scared me on this one, so I took a good look at the manual. Some bi-amping is supported on the SC-55 (see section [F] on page 14). I was really hoping that section [J] on page 15 would also apply to the SC-55, as that is what I am doing now. The SC-55 is a terrific receiver and the $400 difference to get the SC-57 is a hard sell for me - the other features aren't as important to me. This one might swing the pendulum enough, though. Now I need to see if I can swing the extra with my wife. Ugh.

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, it only outputs the L/R channels of the 5.1 source in the second and third zone while still outputting the 5.1 in the main zone. That said, I very well may be wrong. I only use additional zones for completely different sources (e.g. outdoor music).

With my Denon, if the audio mode is set to Stereo, it down-mixes 5.1 sources into a Stereo mix. I know this because my HTPC sends a 5.1 signal over an AC3 connection and it is the only way I can listen to music played by Windows Media Center through the rest of my house with that set as the source. I'd be very surprised if Pioneer receivers did something different. Of course, my receiver is pre-HD so it's possible with HDCP and other source material that this has changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4005 Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPotter View Post

You scared me on this one, so I took a good look at the manual. Some bi-amping is supported on the SC-55 (see section [F] on page 14). I was really hoping that section [J] on page 15 would also apply to the SC-55, as that is what I am doing now. The SC-55 is a terrific receiver and the $400 difference to get the SC-57 is a hard sell for me - the other features aren't as important to me. This one might swing the pendulum enough, though. Now I need to see if I can swing the extra with my wife. Ugh.

Oh, sorry about that. I don't really get why that configuration of bi-amping is the only one the SC-55 is capable of, but whatever. I wish (always wishing) that the 57 (or future models, Chris ) had one more channel output, so you could have fronts, center, and surrounds biamped, although that might be a little tough/costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPotter View Post

With my Denon, if the audio mode is set to Stereo, it down-mixes 5.1 sources into a Stereo mix. I know this because my HTPC sends a 5.1 signal over an AC3 connection and it is the only way I can listen to music played by Windows Media Center through the rest of my house with that set as the source. I'd be very surprised if Pioneer receivers did something different. Of course, my receiver is pre-HD so it's possible with HDCP and other source material that this has changed.

I still don't know what these pioneers do, but, fortunately, most music is stereo so all the information would be in the L/R channels anyway.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #93 of 4005 Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 48
We do work a couple of years out, however we need to start finalizing next years product over the next couple of months...

I am a big fan of DLNA, just not super excited about the current crop of servers available. Need something very flexible (lots of codec support) and easily controllable.

Chris
post #94 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 AM
jrs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will Best Buys (Magnolia) in NC be getting these in?

I would like to check one out before buying.
post #95 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

Will Best Buys (Magnolia) in NC be getting these in?

I would like to check one out before buying.

Why don't you call them and ask?
post #96 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM

Liked: 11
Just in case any of you are interested...

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...neer-sc-57-pre
post #97 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM

Just got my SC-57 today at my local Best Buy. Now the fun part swapping out my Denon 4308 with my new toy.
post #98 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you are using only external amps, can you tell the pioneer where to send the pre-outs to? ( like use all pre-outs for 9.1, or use some pre-outs and some internal amps on pioneer in any configuration)?

Is there also any difference in the room EQ system as compared to earlier models?

Thanks
post #99 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib
If you are using only external amps, can you tell the pioneer where to send the pre-outs to? ( like use all pre-outs for 9.1, or use some pre-outs and some internal amps on pioneer in any configuration)?

Is there also any difference in the room EQ system as compared to earlier models?

Thanks
The website spec sheet, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf , says 11.2 assignable pre-outs. Not sure what that means, but it could refer to your situation.

As far as the MCACC, I think it has changed a little, but nothing too drastic, like adding sub eq.

post #100 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy88 View Post
Just in case any of you are interested...

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...neer-sc-57-pre
The review mentioned that SC-57 supports hdmi stand-by pass-through. Can an owner please confirm? Can it do hdmi stand-by switching like the Yamaha?
post #101 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Liked: 13
It doesn't have sub eq, if you mean it in the audyssey sense.

Quote:
As far as the MCACC, I think it has changed a little, but nothing too drastic, like adding sub eq.
post #102 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT
The review mentioned that SC-57 supports hdmi stand-by pass-through. Can an owner please confirm? Can it do hdmi stand-by switching like the Yamaha?
Page 53 of the manual says,
Quote:
7 Select the 'Standby Through' setting you want. When Control is ON, the signals of the input device or TV connected to the receiver can be transferred even when the receiver's power is in the standby mode (Standby Through mode). The power consumption in this Standby Through mode can be set to conserve energy. ! Normal - Regular mode. Power-up time from the Standby Through mode is short. ! Eco - Power consumption in the Standby Through mode is reduced. Some time is required for powering up from the Standby Through mode.
I don't really know how it decides which HDMI signal to pass through while in standby, especially if you leave a source on all the time (directv receiver), so I'd assume it'd have to have some sort of switching in it, because I hope it doesn't choose to output the first active source it sees.

Mopar, I mean the MCACC didn't change anything too much, as it would have by adding sub eq, which would've been fantastic.

post #103 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I understand your complaint. Supporting NTFS is very difficult since our receivers run a unique operating system (Not linux or windows).

Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics
1. How do you define the SC-57 sound against SC-09XL?

2. Why not replace the - SC-09XL?

3. Why are you getting quality down on "DEEP COLOER "SC-57 ?
(sc 37 have "DEEP COLOER " 48 bit )

4. Why you lost "DB" -quality IN SC-57 ? 103 db ?
( sc 37 have 117 db )
post #104 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 PM

Liked: 13
Ah, ok. Sorry I misread.

I think Pioneer should concentrate on continuing to add flexible user options to mcacc as a selling point. For whatever reason why they haven't added eq for the sub freqs, maybe they can make it switchable in/out if they ever do. Maybe MCACC might not have the technical power of the latest audyssey but they can give it some of the flexibility that aud pro offers. I like that the latest version of their phase control lets you select the offset. I really like to tinker with setting things up just right, but to tell you the truth once I get it "good enough" I'd rather watch movie or listen to music so the price jump for audyssey pro seems steep.
post #105 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Page 53 of the manual says,

I don't really know how it decides which HDMI signal to pass through while in standby, especially if you leave a source on all the time (directv receiver), so I'd assume it'd have to have some sort of switching in it, because I hope it doesn't choose to output the first active source it sees.
Thanks. Yamaha passes thru the last input port in use right before the stand-by. I am sure the Pio behaves the same. Cool thing about the yahama, I can switch to a different input to pass thru the signal even in stand-by mode without having to turn on the receiver.
post #106 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT
Thanks. Yamaha passes thru the last input port in use right before the stand-by. I am sure the Pio behaves the same. Cool thing about the yahama, I can switch to a different input to pass thru the signal even in stand-by mode without having to turn on the receiver.
That makes perfect sense.

That's an intriguing feature. I wonder if the pio would do that; doubt it, but it would be cool.

post #107 of 4005 Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics
How about adding the 5.1 Up-Mix feature (that for some reason is only available on the entry-level AVRs) to all the AVRs?
Its a really cool feature that makes a big improvement if you're running a 7.1 speaker set-up.

You are all WEIRDOS! - Sam the Eagle
post #108 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

We do work a couple of years out, however we need to start finalizing next years product over the next couple of months...

I am a big fan of DLNA, just not super excited about the current crop of servers available. Need something very flexible (lots of codec support) and easily controllable.

Chris

one solution would be to allow the receiver to be a DLNA server or the bluray player

a rear USB or esata port would be a step in the right direction - and an internal hard drive would be a nice feature, maybe just a slot on the back for sliding in a 2.5 or 3.5" drive

either way, it would have to be shareable on a network to make it easy to rip CD's or download music directly to the drive

something to work on in the out years
post #109 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:

[...] Believe it or not I am now working on next years models. Please feel free to make any requests...

Just a software feature for now: When initiating an AirPlay session, limit the volume level to a configurable maximum in order to avoid the problem noted above. If the AirPlay protocol doesn't allow for this, workaround it by ignoring volume setting signaled by AirPlay source until it has been below the max level.
Thanks,
post #110 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicey View Post

How about adding the 5.1 Up-Mix feature (that for some reason is only available on the entry-level AVRs) to all the AVRs?
Its a really cool feature that makes a big improvement if you're running a 7.1 speaker set-up.

I'm pretty sure they can do virtual surround back, and the extended stereo mode does that for 2 channel sources.

Purdyd: that's a really good idea.

post #111 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:

My feature requests...

Add me to the list of people absolutely needing OSD (over HDMI output of course) of Volume, Selected Input, and Surround/THX/Advanced Surround modes. When one of those settings changes that setting (or all settings) should be displayed for a few seconds. Should also be a remote control "Display" button to toggle them on or off. I have been a happy Pioneer Elite receiver owner for close to 20 years, my early 90's Dolby Pro Logic VSX-52 is still running in a spare room! Most recently I have been a very satisfied SC-07 owner for the past few years. I just recently made the unfortunate decision to have some new cabinetry installed and my SC-07 is now hidden from view, versus behind glass before. I did not realize how much I relied on looking at the front display of the SC-07 to get the volume and modes set to the right values for particular types of listening or viewing. I actually thought the SC-07 had an OSD mode that was disabled and was quite dismayed to find out that it didn't have such a mode and none of the newer models has it either. My bad on this cabinet design but if my frustration level continues I may have to switch to a different receiver brand. I know it sounds silly to be considering such a factor so unrelated to the basic quality of the sound in the receiver, but even I'm surprised at the usability impact of this.

If the SC-57 has not been changed to interoperate with the weird DirecTV HR-22 3D modes over HDMI, that would be another feature request. I know the SC-37 didn't work with the DirecTV 3D. My dealer wanted to upgrade my SC-07 to an SC-37 for 3D when I added an 3D display, Panasonic 65VT30 if it matters, but we found out it wouldn't work so I skipped upgrading to the SC-37. I have cabled around the SC-07 for 3D usage. Maybe the SC-57 3D support has solved this, but if not it is strongly desired feature from me.

Thanks for listening!
post #112 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they can do virtual surround back

Its not the same. All the other matrix 5.1-to-7.1 modes essentially just place the 5.1 surround channels directly into what are the 7.1 'side' channels and then create a matrixed pan effect whenever there is surround panning. The Up-Mix feature instead places the two 5.1 surround channels in between the 7.1 side and back channels, creating two stereo phantom surround channels. IMHO, using the Up-Mix feature sounds a lot more seamless than any of the other matrix modes. Honestly, I'm really surprised more AVR companies don't offer a similar feature. To my knowledge, Pioneer is the only one.

You are all WEIRDOS! - Sam the Eagle
post #113 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 60
My first question is,
If there aren't any authorized online dealers, how can you get the best deal when there's nothing to price match? Does everyone just bite the bullet, and pay list?

Second question,
I'm going to be coming from an Onkyo 5008. I decided on the 5008 vs the 3008, because I got a great deal. Now for the SC-57 vs SC-55, if I'm not going to be Bi-amping, is the price difference worth it? I know it's very subjective, I would just like some input.

Thanks
post #114 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Can't find the SC-57 online anywhere. Everyone gotten theirs from BB?

post #115 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

Ah, ok. Sorry I misread.

I think Pioneer should concentrate on continuing to add flexible user options to mcacc as a selling point. For whatever reason why they haven't added eq for the sub freqs, maybe they can make it switchable in/out if they ever do. Maybe MCACC might not have the technical power of the latest audyssey but they can give it some of the flexibility that aud pro offers. I like that the latest version of their phase control lets you select the offset. I really like to tinker with setting things up just right, but to tell you the truth once I get it "good enough" I'd rather watch movie or listen to music so the price jump for audyssey pro seems steep.

I doubt there is any "power" issue in the software, more likely that Pioneer is using hardware (processors) that are too puny for the job at hand.

Its reasons like this why in the end these AV appliances will merge with the computer market -and the vast majority of these companies making AV receviers will die off, along with their weak hardware and custom operating systems. Really all of this could be done much better from a foundation of some Linux variant plus beefier hardware.
post #116 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

My first question is,
If there aren't any authorized online dealers, how can you get the best deal when there's nothing to price match? Does everyone just bite the bullet, and pay list?

Second question,
I'm going to be coming from an Onkyo 5008. I decided on the 5008 vs the 3008, because I got a great deal. Now for the SC-57 vs SC-55, if I'm not going to be Bi-amping, is the price difference worth it? I know it's very subjective, I would just like some input.

Thanks

Hello,
No doubt that the SC-57 is a very nice AVR, but you really would be taking a sideways direction. And while MCACC is quite good, MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT is amazing. Same HDMI Spec, etc...

What about the 5008 is leaving you displeased to the point of getting a different AVR? That money would be better allocated towards better Speakers. And if happy there, Outboard Amplification.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #117 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
No doubt that the SC-57 is a very nice AVR, but you really would be taking a sideways direction. And while MCACC is quite good, MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT is amazing. Same HDMI Spec, etc...

What about the 5008 is leaving you displeased to the point of getting a different AVR? That money would be better allocated towards better Speakers. And if happy there, Outboard Amplification.
Cheers,
AD

My 5008 had the front panel failure, so I sent it back to Amazon. I'd rather not get another Onkyo to replace it.
post #118 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
That makes a great deal more sense as it appeared you had a 5008. Really have not read about many if any Display Failures since the 805/875/905 era Onkyo's. At least not on the 3008/5008.

Regardless, the 55/57 looks like a real nice AVR and I really am interested in getting everyone's impressions about the D3 Amplifier Stage. Professional Reviewers as well.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #119 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Can't find the SC-57 online anywhere. Everyone gotten theirs from BB?

So far, at least in the NJ, Pioneer only lists the Magnolia stores as being authorized, and none of them had stock. The 55 was backordered until September, and the distribution center has 14 57's in stock.

Come Tuesday, one of those 57's should be in my hands. Upgrading from a VSX-84TXsi. I'll be moving that up to my main TV.

Ed Lee

post #120 of 4005 Old 08-11-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

My 5008 had the front panel failure, so I sent it back to Amazon. I'd rather not get another Onkyo to replace it.

I had a 5008. I loved it.

But I am extremely happy with the 57
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page