Why do you tell her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 3997 Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should have considered finding a woman who is also an audiophile from the beginning.
post #1593 of 3997 Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM

I am in the process of designing a Theatre room for the basement in our new home. The space for the room is approx 16.5 w x 9 h x 23 l and will be adjusted as necessary to try to get a semi optimal space for acoustics. I was looking for a dual output receiver and was put on to the 55 or 57 as a possible fit.

I have a DEN directly above the HT with a samsung 55 inch LED smart tv (3D). currently I am doing HDMI over dual cat6 to the HT space and have all my components in the HT.

I need a receiver that will run my HT as well as the TV in my den. I didn't want to have to bother with 2 receivers, DVD etc but rather hoped I could run my XBOX, bluray, and 2 timeWarner Cable DVRs into the new receiver and have it independently control both rooms video signals. for instance: watch a DVD in HT and DVR in Den at the same time. Or watch a movie in the HT and mirror it on the tv in the Den. The TV in the DEN has a samsung sound bar so I have no need of the amped audio just the HDMI signal.

I also was optionally hoping to run audio from the receiver using a third zone to the yard/patio if possible.

Is this doable with the 55 or 57? If not, any others that I might consider?

Lastly, after reading this forum I am still having a hard time justifying the 57 over the 55. Anything I should really consider for the 57?

Thanks
post #1594 of 3997 Old 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

nope... no avr will do what you want to do...

you would need to use a matrix switch for the video...

and it's a no-go on hdmi audio to zones as well... again, nothing will do that (the yammy aventages will do it in "party mode", i.e. main and zones 2/3 getnthe same thing...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1595 of 3997 Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

You're missing the point, guys... If it looks the same to her as the old one, you can upgrade anytime without ever saying a word! Get a universal remote to keep it the same, and you're done fighting about upgrades.

y'know, you are a smart guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post

You should have considered finding a woman who is also an audiophile from the beginning.

that was my solution...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1596 of 3997 Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

nope... no avr will do what you want to do...

you would need to use a matrix switch for the video...

and it's a no-go on hdmi audio to zones as well... again, nothing will do that (the yammy aventages will do it in "party mode", i.e. main and zones 2/3 getnthe same thing...

So if I go with something like the 4 x 2 HDMI Matrix Switch from octavainc.com and put the AVR on one output and the 2nd room tv on the other.. I could achieve at least the dual control.

I suppose I could get away with a much simpler AVR then the 55 or 57 since I will only be utilizing a single input in this case?

Or should I just give up on it and get 2 receivers and 2 bluray players and put them all in the rack together, one set for each room....
post #1597 of 3997 Old 12-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Snowboardheathen,

Quote:
Or should I just give up on it and get 2 receivers and 2 bluray players and put them all in the rack together, one set for each room....

That looks like the Solution to me.
You want a lot more flexibility than today's standalone single A/V Receiver is going to give to you.
Then you are trying to fix it with $300.00 plus switchers, exotic wiring, etc..

In fact, two fully independent setups was and is the Solution that I used, it just seemed to me, to be a "No Brainer"!
Room 1: Pioneer VSX 1021, HTPC (with Blu-Ray player-Streaming Content) and Time Warner Cable DVR.
Room 2: Pioneer Elite VSX 53, HTPC (with Internal Writer / Player Blu-Ray-Streaming Content) and Time Warner Cable DVR,

For the price of the SC 55 and definitely the price of the SC57 you could easily buy two Pioneer VSX 1121's,
or two Elite VSX 52's or combination of your choosing, you can find very decent Blu-Ray players in the $100.00 range.
Hook up your two Cable boxes, one to each location and you have all of the flexibility of Cable, Blu-Ray, HDMI Full Audio that you want!
Then run your Zone 2 etc. from whichever location works out to be the easier choice.

Sometimes the "One Solution" / "All in one Box" Scenario is just not the best one! Not in 2011..Not Yet.

Independently though you are FREE to Look at each location as it's own and what you want and expect from that location, FREE to put it together exactly the way that you want!
No Switchers, No fancy mess, No Stress, just easy and straight forward!
No matter where you sit down with your Popcorn, Beer, Coffee or whatever, you will be good to go!
Now don't you feel like a weight was just lifted off of your Home Theater Shoulders? LOL!
A lot more fun to, because you really can set them up, exactly as you want!

Go forth and when it comes to "Home Theater" Multiply Independently! LOL! I crack myself up!
Have fun with whatever solution that you choose, there are options though, that is what I am trying to say.

Enjoy!

Bud B
post #1598 of 3997 Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

agreed... even though i do use zone processing, it only really gets used for sirius, as it wouldn't make sense to have multiple subscriptions... i tried to make stuff work all off of one avr, and it was simply too much of a headache... it's like trying to stuff 25 pounds into a 5 pound bag...

everywhere else has it's own avr/integrated, with an airport express for streaming duties, and a cd player in two of the other locations for spinning disks.... kitchen tv and wife's office tv have their own cable boxes...

all of the stuff in the zones (with the exception of her precious space heater, otherwise known as a tube integrated ) was bought used and cheaply... for example, you can pick something up off of craigslist for your outdoor speakers for around 25 bucks... cd/dvd players are commonly available at yard sales for 10 bucks... etc.

and if you want to control everything from one place, that's easily (well, not "easily", but it's not difficult), you can do so with programmable rf remotes... both my remotes can control everything in the house, no matter where i am...

a lot of this stuff is only limited by your creativity (and available funds)...

- chris

post #1599 of 3997 Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

You're missing the point, guys... If it looks the same to her as the old one, you can upgrade anytime without ever saying a word! Get a universal remote to keep it the same, and you're done fighting about upgrades.

I never told her about it. I went out bought it. She noticed the old receiver as I was hooking up the old one. I had no intentions of telling her. She caught me red handed. No big deal.
post #1600 of 3997 Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Ive been through three receivers in 4 years trying to approximate the sound I used to get from my two channel rig in a dedicated listening room. When that room became a baby room, I was relegated to the receiver for my listening. Never been the same. Now I have this receiver and Dolby plii-music sounds better than direct stereo. What gives? Have I lost my way? My roots? My mind? Love how the soundstage has been opened up. Wonderful transparency. Still running the front three channels to an outboard amp as I tried without and the slam was gone....

a.pelc
oppo bdp 93
pioneer sc-55
emotiva xpa3
audiolab 8200dq
littledot mk3
monitor audio rx silver
sennheiser 558
epik legend sub
post #1601 of 3997 Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp74 View Post

Ive been through three receivers in 4 years trying to approximate the sound I used to get from my two channel rig in a dedicated listening room. When that room became a baby room, I was relegated to the receiver for my listening. Never been the same. Now I have this receiver and Dolby plii-music sounds better than direct stereo. What gives? Have I lost my way? My roots? My mind? Love how the soundstage has been opened up. Wonderful transparency. Still running the front three channels to an outboard amp as I tried without and the slam was gone....

The Pioneer is a great AVR. I love the way EXT STEREO sounds. I also like DDPL2 with panorama on.

MCACC Workflow tips <-- Click here
post #1602 of 3997 Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 230
The change in room is the likely culprit...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1603 of 3997 Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 AM

Question:

My center channel is rated 36hz-22khz. However, during MCACC I notice there is very little bass coming out of it; it almost seems like there is a high pass being applied in the 150hz range even though I have the crossover for the subwoofer set at 80hz.

Is there some setting which might be causing the center channel not to receive low frequencies? Even my surrounds, which are smaller speakers of the same make and product line seem to be reproducing much stronger bass.

Suggestions appreciated.
post #1604 of 3997 Old 12-18-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarwings View Post

Question:

My center channel is rated 36hz-22khz. However, during MCACC I notice there is very little bass coming out of it; it almost seems like there is a high pass being applied in the 150hz range even though I have the crossover for the subwoofer set at 80hz.

Is there some setting which might be causing the center channel not to receive low frequencies? Even my surrounds, which are smaller speakers of the same make and product line seem to be reproducing much stronger bass.

Suggestions appreciated.

Read this

MCACC Workflow tips <-- Click here
post #1605 of 3997 Old 12-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has pioneer finally put an OSD in their avrs? It was the point that drove me to Denon for my last avr and I grew up on Pioneer as a child so it was a very hard turning point for me. I'd love to get back to pioneer but they've got to put this in for me to change back. I can't see the volume on my avr from the distance I sit from my entertainment center so I have to be able to see the volume overlay on the tv when I change it. Thanks guys.
post #1606 of 3997 Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronleaker View Post

Has pioneer finally put an OSD in their avrs?

No.
post #1607 of 3997 Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronleaker View Post

Has pioneer finally put an OSD in their avrs? It was the point that drove me to Denon for my last avr and I grew up on Pioneer as a child so it was a very hard turning point for me. I'd love to get back to pioneer but they've got to put this in for me to change back. I can't see the volume on my avr from the distance I sit from my entertainment center so I have to be able to see the volume overlay on the tv when I change it. Thanks guys.

At least with the RF remotes for the 37's U can see ALL the front display info. on the remote itself.
post #1608 of 3997 Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillCall View Post

At least with the RF remotes for the 37's U can see ALL the front display info. on the remote itself.

Thar RF remote works with all the newer SC's.
post #1609 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Has anyone heard anything about Pioneer's best Elite models for 2012. New features, etc.?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a SC-55, but don't want 'buyer remorse' if the 2012s are substantially different from 2011. I know, I'm not being very realistic.
post #1610 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Ok, I'm completely lost.

I'm looking for an AVR upgrade and I'm considering the SC-57. However the one thing holding me back is that it does not have Audyssey room correction which everyone seems to love.

Therefore I'm leaning more towards the Onkyo TX-NR5009.

However it seems the Onkyo's have issues with making "clicking" noises when changing channels as well as a high failure rate.

Has anyone compared Pioneer's MCACC vs Audyssey's MultEQ XT32?

Also, my speakers are Paradigm Studio 60's (v5) as mains a CC-590 as my center.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am 100% focused on blu-ray movies. (Don't care about music or tv.)

Thanks!
post #1611 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradson View Post

Quite a few can probably help -

ccotenj
graphicguy
FilmMixer

for starters

I haven't even though I've been a Pioneer owner a very long time. But I will soon be integrating an audyssey based sub equalizer along with MCACC so will have some thoughts but not the same as someone who has compared the full-range effectiveness.

Steve
post #1612 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Did anyone compare the Pioneer SC-55/57 with the Marantz SR7005? Opinions?

Is it true the Pioneers SC receivers are not network-ready without the additional $150 AS-WL300 accessory?
post #1613 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok, I'm completely lost.

I'm looking for an AVR upgrade and I'm considering the SC-57. However the one thing holding me back is that it does not have Audyssey room correction which everyone seems to love.

Therefore I'm leaning more towards the Onkyo TX-NR5009.

However it seems the Onkyo's have issues with making "clicking" noises when changing channels as well as a high failure rate.

Also, my speakers are Paradigm Studio 60's (v5) as mains a CC-590 as my center.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am 100% focused on blu-ray movies. (Don't care about music or tv.)

Thanks!

if you search this thread for posts containing "a100" or "4311" by me, you'll find some commentary... feel free to fire away with questions...

- chris

post #1614 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityMerchant View Post

Is it true the Pioneers SC receivers are not network-ready without the additional $150 AS-WL300 accessory?

if you are considering the sr7005, you can do your wallet a favor and look about for last year's denon 3311...

- chris

post #1615 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Quite a few can probably help -

ccotenj
graphicguy
FilmMixer

for starters

I haven't even though I've been a Pioneer owner a very long time. But I will soon be integrating an audyssey based sub equalizer along with MCACC so will have some thoughts but not the same as someone who has compared the full-range effectiveness.

Welllllllll....being a long time Pio 'ho, I obviously like MCACC. It does have some downfalls, however. Pioneer forces you to adopt a universal crossover, for example. But, the biggest omission is the sub integration that XT32 allows (and does a great job of). But, you've got that covered.

If you're asking me which I prefer, given I'm running a 4311 in my HT currently, I'd say go with a Denon (not Onkyo). However, since your sub is already utilizing automatic integration, flip a coin.

No bad answers with Pio Elite....particularly the SC series. And, MCACC is the real deal when it comes to speaker/room integration.

How's that for being ambivalent?

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1616 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityMerchant View Post

Concur with Chris....throw the Denon 3312 into that mix, too.

There was a point that Marantz was doing their own thing, and Denon was doing their own thing, even though they've been owned by the same company (D&M) for awhile.

Now, there's some sharing going on where the SR7005 is a practical clone of the Denon 3312.

I used a Marantz SR7005. Nice piece. My biggest beef was the little porthole window that made it next to impossible to read what the AVR was doing given it's teeny size and lack of information (have to drop down the front panel to get more info, but still with teeny lights).

You're better off with a 55/57. But, as mentioned above, I'm a Pio Elite SC 'ho.

If you were to move up a little higher, I'd prefer the Denon 4311 over any of them, though.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1617 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks graphic. Much appreciated.

This might be a dumb question, but does the Denon not being THX certified factor in at all?
post #1618 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM

Oh and 1 more thing. (Sorry I'm still learning all this stuff.)

I'm not quite sure what you guys mean by the Sub EQ?

I have an old sub now, but I plan on getting the Paradigm Sub 12. Will that work well with the SC-55's MCACC?
post #1619 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

not for me... i didn't use the thx modes on my pios when i had them...

thx certification is paid for (although it does "guarantee" for you that certain performance parameters will be hit)... because a piece of equipment isn't thx certified doesn't mean it couldn't hit those parameters... it means that the cem chose not to pay for it...

i agree with gg, the 4311 is really the way to go...

- chris

post #1620 of 3997 Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh and 1 more thing. (Sorry I'm still learning all this stuff.)

I'm not quite sure what you guys mean by the Sub EQ?

I have an old sub now, but I plan on getting the Paradigm Sub 12. Will that work well with the SC-55's MCACC?

"sub eq" = subwoofer equalization...

sure, since mcacc does not eq the sub... imo/ime, it's one of the major drawbacks of the pio, as the low frequencies are almost always the place that needs the most amount of work in a home environment... many people after running sub eq will complain "where did my bass go?", because the big ol' peaks they were used to are now gone (or at least ameliorated somewhat)...

imo/ime, that's the big benefit of the 4311, and it cannot be underestimated... the sub eq (and mains integration) of xt32 is well worth it...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page