post #181 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweElite View Post

Regarding to engineers at Monitor audio and Canton they wrote to me when i asked that it was not primarly the "extra power" that gives the biggest improvement but rather that you actually separate the bass and the highs. Then both wrote that bass signals offen affect mid and tweeter signals. Thererfore they recomended me to atleast try it.

(sorry for my bad english)

It's still the same signal being fed to both inputs... the separation happens regardless, achieved with the internal speaker crossover if not bi-amping.

For clarity, what you can achieve is more efficient use of the amp. But once again, depending on what type of crossover you are using, the efficiency of the speakers, the design of your speakers, etc. the benefits may or may not be audible.

In addition, when using a sub and bass managing the speakers, the "benefits" also decrease, as you aren't relying on the amps to deliver as much power to the lowest octaves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTracy3 View Post

Regarding the Sirius internet feature..does anyone know if I'm already subscribed to Sirius/XM internet, that there won't be any additional charges beyond what I'm already paying? Am torn between the new 55 and a great price on a 35, but since I'm already a sirius customer that feature on the 55 might make the difference (adding a home antennae apparently jacks up the subscription price beyond the internet pricing). And does anyone have thoughts on a 35 vs 55? We're talking about twice as much.

If you currently use Sirius Online/Internet, you would access it through HMG (requires network connection), not the Sirius input. That is used with an external antennae and would be the same as activating a radio.
post #183 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithapprentice View Post

Picked up the SC-57 last night at Best Buy. Even got to use the 10% off 1 item coupon. Plan on hooking it up today. This will be my first Pioneer receiver, as for the past 10 years I have bought Denon products.. Looking forward to hooking it up.

First - how are guys getting these new SC units from Best Buy? I was at my local store (w/ Magnolia) and had the kid look them up - nothing in the system. Search bestbuy.com and come up with nothing!

Ok, on to the "what's your opinion" part - I currently own the older Denon POA-8200 & 8300 (2 & 3 ch) power amps. Was thinking of pairing them up with the VSX-53. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the VSX-53 has pretty much the same processing as the SC-55 & 57, so I'm thinking of using it as a pre-amp/processor (except for the rear surrounds). Or do you think the SC-55 would be better alone than the VSX-53 w/ my external amps?

For reference, my speakers will be Atlantic Technology's System 450.
post #184 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Ok,

If Walkamo es reading this.

I have 2 request

1.- Universal power supply : 120V and 220V
2.- Option to metric system in speaker distance (other brands have this)
post #185 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray105 View Post

First - how are guys getting these new SC units from Best Buy? I was at my local store (w/ Magnolia) and had the kid look them up - nothing in the system.

i think the 'kid' made a mistake as my BB magnolia had them on the computer and in fact, had a SC-55 in stock and that was a week ago
post #186 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, regardless, unless you live in a major metropolitan area, us ruralites will have to wait a little longer......maybe make a call to a BB Dallas store.....only 4 hours away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #187 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First - how are guys getting these new SC units from Best Buy? I was at my local store (w/ Magnolia) and had the kid look them up - nothing in the system. Search bestbuy.com and come up with nothing!
Have them look up the SKU. The SKU for the 57 is 2769319. I don't know the SKU for the 55. They also need to look at the warehouse, and not the website.

Got my 57 today after ordering it last week. Now to hook it up.

Ed

Ed Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
Well, regardless, unless you live in a major metropolitan area, us ruralites will have to wait a little longer......maybe make a call to a BB Dallas store.....only 4 hours away.
Now I wouldn't call Knoxville, Tennessee a huge urban area, but we had two SC-57's in stock as of last Wednesday (and I used them both up).

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #189 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hello,
Being from Knoxville, but not living there since I graduated from High School, I am actually quite impressed at how much better Knoxville has gotten. Statement Audio really is amazing. At least it was when at Downtown West. I heard they reopened, but do not know if they have the same caliber of equipment.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #190 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post
FilmMixer

I see you have am Anthem MRX for sale. I have heard that ARC is a very good room correction system.

How do you compare it with the Pioneer SC-57?

I am debating between the 2 or may be an Onkyo 809

Thanks a lot for your answer
I'm also considering both the MRX700 and the SC-57. My speakers will be 3xCT7.3 and 4xCT7.5 from BW with a DD15+ from Velodyne.
From the first tidbits of info I've been able to gather so far, it looks like the Anthem is more geared towards "quality" and the pioneer towards "features". I know it's a bit simplified but what do you guys think?
post #191 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corentin View Post
I'm also considering both the MRX700 and the SC-57. My speakers will be 3xCT7.3 and 4xCT7.5 from BW with a DD15+ from Velodyne.
From the first tidbits of info I've been able to gather so far, it looks like the Anthem is more geared towards "quality" and the pioneer towards "features". I know it's a bit simplified but what do you guys think?
Chris.. the I would say that those descriptors are correct.

They are indeed different beasts.. different room corrections, way different feature sets...

ARC does wonders for the sub.. since MCACC has no real sub-EQ solution, I use the built in processing that my sub has and it works well.

MCACC adds time domain processing which I thinks really locks in the imaging, which in my less than ideal live, not treated room, helps immensely.

I'm a big tweaker, so I really like that I can change most of the EQ settings on the 57, along with Phase Control on or off, etc and store them in the 6 memory slots.

I think the video processing in the SC is really good, but these days, with so much of our content HD anyways, the point becomes moot for most.. both units offer true "bypass."

I am really happy with the 57 so far.. and was really happy with the MRX...

I don't think you can go wrong with either... it just depends on where your priorities are...

Sorry to be so noncommittal.. I'm just not sure if I could pick a "winner..."

For a well built/treated room, I'd give the edge to the MRX for pure sound quality out of the box, but you also give up a lot of flexibility and features... and once again, I am only in the initial stages of evaluating the 57, so take it with a grain of salt.
post #192 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Thanks a lot for your input.
As regards room correction, well I will be using the bluit-in EQ in the DD15+ so if sub EQ is the only feature that the Anthem has over the pioneer...
You do mention quality out of the box though, so are the DACs and amps that much better than what you get with the SC57(from whatever little experience you may have had with both units)?
post #193 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corentin View Post

You do mention quality out of the box though, so are the DACs and amps that much better than what you get with the SC57(from whatever little experience you may have had with both units)?

It's not a great difference.. I'm highly attuned to subjective differences in gear due to my line of work...

I think the MRX is a little closer to what someone who would shop for more "audiophile" gear out of the box, whereas the Pioneer is a more typical home theater AVR..

ARC and MCACC, along with the other technologies and features, would guide my decisions... both are great sounding units.

As a side note and continuing discussion, I spent a couple of hours with the 57 today listening to music streamed through Airplay (not audiophile, but most of my library is Apple Lossless...)

What struck me most was the immediate ability to hear the differences in production/mixing techniques in each song...

The 57 really is smooth, but with tons of detail (especially in terms of small and large dynamic changes....)

Based on my past experiences with the 09, 27 and 37, this seems to be a defining characteristic of MCACC Phase Control.
post #194 of 4006 Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
Being from Knoxville, but not living there since I graduated from High School, I am actually quite impressed at how much better Knoxville has gotten. Statement Audio really is amazing. At least it was when at Downtown West. I heard they reopened, but do not know if they have the same caliber of equipment.
Cheers,
AD

Huh, I've never heard of it. I'm a little new to the town, so I'll check it out.

post #195 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 AM

Is the SC-57 can drive 4 Ohm speakers

IF NOT
I can set two front speakers + Center to 6 Ohm
And the rest 8 ohms
post #196 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

It's not a great difference.. I'm highly attuned to subjective differences in gear due to my line of work...

I think the MRX is a little closer to what someone who would shop for more "audiophile" gear out of the box, whereas the Pioneer is a more typical home theater AVR..

ARC and MCACC, along with the other technologies and features, would guide my decisions... both are great sounding units.

As a side note and continuing discussion, I spent a couple of hours with the 57 today listening to music streamed through Airplay (not audiophile, but most of my library is Apple Lossless...)

What struck me most was the immediate ability to hear the differences in production/mixing techniques in each song...

The 57 really is smooth, but with tons of detail (especially in terms of small and large dynamic changes....)

Based on my past experiences with the 09, 27 and 37, this seems to be a defining characteristic of MCACC Phase Control.

Again, thank you for the very interesting information.
If it's a tough call between the two, I'll probablly go for the Pio since it has more features and most important, it will be much more powerfull in a seven speakers configuration (I saw a review of the MRX700 where it was tested at 7x43w...).
post #197 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdeep1 View Post

IF NOT
And the rest 8 ohms

I think it can drive 4 ohm speakers.

I don't have one, pero I do own a SC-37 and it can drive 4 ohm speakers without any problems.
post #198 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

Huh, I've never heard of it. I'm a little new to the town, so I'll check it out.

I have been to many AV Stores over the Country and honestly, Statement was as good as any I have seen. When I used to frequent it, they carried Revel, Mark Levinson, Theta, Loewe, Lexicon, Proceed, Thiel, and countless other Brands.

Even better, when they dropped a Brand, they would utterly blow them out the door. I got a pair of CS 1.5's for 75% off and Straightwire Maestros for 80 Dollars for a Pair. I sold the Maestros for 4 times the amount I paid for them.

For a time, they closed down, but my friend said they are back. If so, it is definitely worth a visit.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #199 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Yes.. and it will do a great job.

So, I purchased a SC-55 yesterday. I like it but I don't see any difference regarding the upscaling on my Cable TV to 1080P. U-verse HD channels is so compressed that it is painful to watch. You mentioned that Vita have more features to compressed signals? Would Vita be better for my needs? because I felt that Marvell didnt do much.
One other Thing, I am really disappointent about that the AV doesnt have Wireless Buit-in. The only store that sell the AS-WL300 is 50 miles away from my house. Is there any other way to use Airplay and Ipad Control App without the AS-WL300? Does Best buy sells them??
post #200 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I think it can drive 4 ohm speakers.

I don't have one, pero I do own a SC-37 and it can drive 4 ohm speakers without any problems.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/46868534.png/
only 8 & 6 Ohm Impedance Select
for sc-57 and sc - 37
post #201 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

I am driving Epos M16i 4 ohm speakers without any problems
post #202 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

I am driving Epos M16i 4 ohm speakers without any problems

But it's not like it
Pioneer write only for 6 or 8 ohm

That you hear does not mean that quality
post #203 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Disclaimer: I do not own a 55/57.

Pioneer does not rate for 4 ohms but many people are driving 4-ohm speakers just fine. Quality shold be unchanged except at the very highest volumes; I sincerely doubt anybody will notice any lack of quality. The usual reason for not including a 4-ohm rating is because the power supply and/or thermal (cooling) system cannot handle the load, at least not enough to gain FTC certification. In the real world, with the class-D amps, you are unlikely to have any issues.

IMO - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #204 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Liked: 13
The lower settings in the past protect the receiver by current-limiting the output. At least that is what they did in the past.

Going by past history and comments from linked articles, I think the 57 will handle 4ohms without a problem.
post #205 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IF NOT
And the rest 8 ohms

I'm running 4 ohm speakers on my 57 without a problem.

Quote:

for sc-57 and sc - 37

Note to you guys: Select the 8 ohm setting unless driving 6 ohm speakers. Note below

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

The lower settings in the past protect the receiver by current-limiting the output. At least that is what they did in the past.

Going by past history and comments from linked articles, I think the 57 will handle 4ohms without a problem.

This review of the SC-07 (same amps as 37) says it has trouble on the bench with 4 ohm loads, but that it doesn't make a difference in real world usage. As I said, my 57 runs 4 ohm speakers fantastically.

post #206 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

for sc-57 and sc - 37

You can choose a ohms setting in the SC's?

home theater addict
post #207 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

You can choose a ohms setting in the SC's?

There is no mention of a manual select in the manual, nor could I find one in the unit's menu...

I suspect either the spec sheet is wrong..

Regardless, based on other AVR's that let you pick (i.e. Yamaha's) I would always recommend that users leave the setting at 8 so as to not have the unit limit current.
post #208 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 PM

FYI! Just picked up new SC-57 from BB using 12% mobile coupon. Have not hooked it up yet but decided to upgrade after having the VSX-52 for a few weeks. Nice sound but felt like something was missing versus my old SC-27.
post #209 of 4006 Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Was looking for a Denon 4311 receiver, they had none. The Best Buy employee then said they just unloaded some new Pioneer Receivers off the truck. That was on Monday in South Texas.
post #210 of 4006 Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq2110 View Post

Nice sound but felt like something was missing versus my old SC-27.

Hi

What's missing? Do you feel the sound is very diffrent from SC-27?
What about the power?, do you feel this is less powerful or the same as your old SC-27? I got a SC-37, and maybe look to change it with a SC-57/SC-55.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page