post #2791 of 3997 Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

But in my opinion (and I'm an ex-recording engineer), I think sub-woofer EQ might be overrated. It's just not that broad a frequency band to require EQ. If it's too loud, either turn it down via its volume control or if it doesn't have one, turn it down via the Pioneer manual setup settings. The one exception to that is if it resonates at one particular frequency. If that's the case, then EQ actually would be helpful, although a well-designed sub-woofer shouldn't have that problem.

your opinion in this case would be incorrect...

in the great majority of home environments, subwoofer eq is the most important part of an eq'ing scheme... that is where most of the problems live...

as far as the "hear it as the engineer intended it"... that is what room correction attempts to achieve... by using it, you ameliorate the effects of your room on the signal, thus making what hits your ears "more accurate"... not using rc will rarely result in "more accurate" sound..

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3997 Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I haven't listened to the 4311, because I got burnt by Denon some years ago and I won't go back there, so I don't know whether it sounds better or worse than the Pioneer.

But in my opinion (and I'm an ex-recording engineer), I think sub-woofer EQ might be overrated. It's just not that broad a frequency band to require EQ. If it's too loud, either turn it down via its volume control or if it doesn't have one, turn it down via the Pioneer manual setup settings. The one exception to that is if it resonates at one particular frequency. If that's the case, then EQ actually would be helpful, although a well-designed sub-woofer shouldn't have that problem.

that is heresy in this forum,

Didn't you know this is the really the Denon 4311 forum and to say you don't think subwoofer equalization is needed will get you a mandatory tongue lashing?

It doesn't matter if it is true or not and there is no way you could enjoy listening to your music without having that feature.?
post #2793 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

didn't you know this is the really the denon 4311 forum and to say you don't think subwoofer equalization is needed will get you a mandatory tongue lashing?

It doesn't matter if it is true or not and there is no way you could enjoy listening to your music without having that feature.?

:d:d:d
post #2794 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Didn't you know this is the really the Denon 4311 forum and to say you don't think subwoofer equalization is needed will get you a mandatory tongue lashing?

Too funny!!!!!
post #2795 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Walkamo should shake your hand and use your quotes in a testimonial. Also, since I see that the newest Pioneer AVRs (non-Elite; the VSX-122) on the US Pioneer site have actual firmware updates, Purdyd should be a happy man and have his faith restored. Maybe there's an SC-61 in his future:-)

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #2796 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

the newest Pioneer AVRs (non-Elite; the VSX-122) on the US Pioneer site have actual firmware updates

A miracle has happened!

- Improve the stability of HDMI connection.
- Improve the stability of NETWORK features.
- Other improvement.

Bug fixes...better than nothing

Steve
post #2797 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

A miracle has happened!

- Improve the stability of HDMI connection.
- Improve the stability of NETWORK features.
- Other improvement.

Bug fixes...better than nothing

But it IS a firmware update. The Audio Gods must be smiling down on Pioneer.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #2798 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Liked: 11
i came home today and my sc55 doesnt seem to be sending hdmi signal to tv anymore. any suggestions ? it worked fine for weeks...just all of a sudden it wont send signal

thanks
post #2799 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Walkamo should shake your hand and use your quotes in a testimonial. Also, since I see that the newest Pioneer AVRs (non-Elite; the VSX-122) on the US Pioneer site have actual firmware updates, Purdyd should be a happy man and have his faith restored. Maybe there's an SC-61 in his future:-)

Just because I disagree at times with you and a couple of other extremely vocal posters does not make me a Pioneer zealot.

And if Pioneer really wants to impress me, they would update ALL elite pioneer receivers, not just the ones released this year.
post #2800 of 3997 Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Just because I disagree at times with you and a couple of other extremely vocal posters does not make me a Pioneer zealot.

And if Pioneer really wants to impress me, they would update ALL elite pioneer receivers, not just the ones released this year.

Point taken, on both fronts.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #2801 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 AM

On the Zone 2 -- thank you. ended up using RCA's to "CD" and can run it from that fine. Appreciate the help.

Sound is still bright, but I'll keep working through it. My guess is that it is just a lot of tweaking that needs to happen.
post #2802 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK, so for me, SC-55 is really bright. Very clear and crisp but too bright. How do you all suggest to "warm" the sound a bit. I tried using the X-Curve feature but that seems to deaden the sound more than anything else. I then tried using the equilizer on the iPad app and I guess that sort of works. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Chris Blount
post #2803 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

OK, so for me, SC-55 is really bright. Very clear and crisp but too bright. How do you all suggest to "warm" the sound a bit. I tried using the X-Curve feature but that seems to deaden the sound more than anything else. I then tried using the equilizer on the iPad app and I guess that sort of works. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Have you tried engaging the THX Cinema mode? This will re-equalize your system to curb the highs and give it a more "warm" sound.
post #2804 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post

Have you tried engaging the THX Cinema mode? This will re-equalize your system to curb the highs and give it a more "warm" sound.

I will give that a shot. Thanks.

Chris Blount
post #2805 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

I will give that a shot. Thanks.

The other thing you can look at are the DAC filter settings. They can adjusted under the audio parameters IIRC:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=270

I think 'slow' is supposed to have warmer sound than 'sharp' or 'short'

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #2806 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Audio Parameters try using the Tone controls. Boost the bass 1 or 2 db.
post #2807 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Hello!

Very new to this forum. Lots of great info and enthusiasm here. Just got the SC-55 over the weekend and am loving it so far. The Airplay feature is excellent with the Ext.Stereo feature on and we're loving the iControl app when watching TV. Just had 2 quick questions for any SC-55 experts out there.

1) I have all of my HDMI components (DirecTV, BluRay, XBOX 360, Apple TV, etc) going into the receiver with one high quality HDMI cable going into the TV. I've noticed a slight color shift on the TV now. Nothing dramatic but wondering if this is normal when not running your HD cable service right into your TV. Is it worth getting re-calibrated now that its running into the receiver first? Has anyone else experienced a degradation of signal? Maybe I'm crazy but the color seems a bit off now.

2) I have a fairly inexpensive Crosley turntable that I tried running into the Phono input last night but got an incredible amount of distortion. The Crosley doesn't have a ground, whereas the phono input does. Wondering if the distortion would be normal in this case or if there might be an issue with that input. Any ideas?

Any advice is much appreciated. Much to learn on this receiver!

Thanks,
Carey
post #2808 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc1971 View Post

i came home today and my sc55 doesnt seem to be sending hdmi signal to tv anymore. any suggestions ? it worked fine for weeks...just all of a sudden it wont send signal

thanks

I have the same problem. My SC-55 worked great for a month then my TV stopped working but my projector works great.
post #2809 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Is sub EQ over rated? I am not sure... There are usually only a few modes below Pioneer's LF EQ, and it is hard to do anything with nulls using EQ anyway, so it might be less important than some believe. I do not know. That said, one difference between XT32 and MCACC is the number of filters, and I strongly suspect the much greater number of filters in XT32, many of which are used in the bass (not neccessarily subwoofer) region, are behind much of the perceived and measured improvement in the bass FR.

The assumption is XT32 does indeed have many more filters; I don't know for sure. Does MCACC only use the nine EQ bands and three PEQ ("standing wave") bands shown? Compared to hundreds with XT32...

All IMO - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2810 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Man View Post

I have the same problem. My SC-55 worked great for a month then my TV stopped working but my projector works great.

did you ever figure what to do ? Is it a defect ?

thanks
post #2811 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:

did you ever figure what to do ? Is it a defect ?

thanks

I am still working on it. I had a Pioneer expert look at it and he couldn't fix the problem. He thinks that it is my TV's Hdmi board but I don't agree. I have a Pioneer 1130 HD and no problems until my purchase and use of the Pioneer sc 55. My projector outputs 1080p and my TV outputs 1080i so I think it's a resolution and handshaking problem that I don't know how to fix. Every source including cable, ps3, xbox360, apple tv and my blue ray works perfectly through my projector.

This site is supposed to be about helping Pioneer Elite SC 55/57 owners address set up problems but most of the dialogue is about Denon, Audessey and other topics. Give me a shout if you solve your problem and I will do likewise.

I might hook an old receiver up and see if the problem remains. I tried it with my 1080p kitchen tv and it worked fine.

D
post #2812 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM

[quote=Remote Man;21915086]I am still working on it. I had a Pioneer expert look at it and he couldn't fix the problem. He thinks that it is my TV's Hdmi board but I don't agree. I have a Pioneer 1130 HD and no problems until my purchase and use of the Pioneer sc 55. My projector outputs 1080p and my TV outputs 1080i so I think it's a resolution and handshaking problem that I don't know how to fix. Every source including cable, ps3, xbox360, apple tv and my blue ray works perfectly through my projector.

This site is supposed to be about helping Pioneer Elite SC 55/57 owners address set up problems but most of the dialogue is about Denon, Audessey and other topics. Give me a shout if you solve your problem and I will do likewise.

I might hook an old receiver up and see if the problem remains. I tried it with my 1080p kitchen tv and it worked fine.

D[/QUOTE

Sounds like a pile a crap from Pioneer. I just connected all my devices direct ti tv and everything is ok. Problem is in the SC55...What a pi$$ off.I just got rid of my Onkyo due to all the issues,...now this 3 months into owning it...grrrrr
post #2813 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@remoteman...

your tv "outputs" 1080i? no... your tv is a 720p set... it "accepts" 1080i...

unfortunately, the knowledge base for pioneer units rests primarily with some of us who no longer use pioneer equipment... we can still help, if you like, as it appears that the current owners are better at complaining than explaining...

my initial guess is that you are trying to force 1080p... what do you have the video settings in the avr set to?

step 1: turn OFF video processing in the avr (as well as hdmi control on ALL devices)... see what that gets you... then we can go from there...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #2814 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=tmc1971;21915136]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Man View Post

I am still working on it. I had a Pioneer expert look at it and he couldn't fix the problem. He thinks that it is my TV's Hdmi board but I don't agree. I have a Pioneer 1130 HD and no problems until my purchase and use of the Pioneer sc 55. My projector outputs 1080p and my TV outputs 1080i so I think it's a resolution and handshaking problem that I don't know how to fix. Every source including cable, ps3, xbox360, apple tv and my blue ray works perfectly through my projector.

D[/QUOTE

Sounds like a pile a crap from Pioneer. I just connected all my devices direct ti tv and everything is ok. Problem is in the SC55...What a pi$$ off.I just got rid of my Onkyo due to all the issues,...now this 3 months into owning it...grrrrr

nope, you can't draw the assumption that the problem is with the avr... simply connecting directly to the display and having it all work does NOT imply that the issue is with the repeater, it could be (and is, in most cases) the source and/or the sink not playing nice with a repeater in the chain...

- chris

post #2815 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM

[quote=ccotenj;21915143]
Quote:

nope, you can't draw the assumption that the problem is with the avr... simply connecting directly to the display and having it all work does NOT imply that the issue is with the repeater, it could be (and is, in most cases) the source and/or the sink not playing nice with a repeater in the chain...

thanks...ill keep that in mind...im just ticked off...just put finishing touches on my system 2 weeks ago
post #2816 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourminutesong View Post

Hello!

Very new to this forum. Lots of great info and enthusiasm here. Just got the SC-55 over the weekend and am loving it so far. The Airplay feature is excellent with the Ext.Stereo feature on and we're loving the iControl app when watching TV. Just had 2 quick questions for any SC-55 experts out there.

1) I have all of my HDMI components (DirecTV, BluRay, XBOX 360, Apple TV, etc) going into the receiver with one high quality HDMI cable going into the TV. I've noticed a slight color shift on the TV now. Nothing dramatic but wondering if this is normal when not running your HD cable service right into your TV. Is it worth getting re-calibrated now that its running into the receiver first? Has anyone else experienced a degradation of signal? Maybe I'm crazy but the color seems a bit off now.

2) I have a fairly inexpensive Crosley turntable that I tried running into the Phono input last night but got an incredible amount of distortion. The Crosley doesn't have a ground, whereas the phono input does. Wondering if the distortion would be normal in this case or if there might be an issue with that input. Any ideas?

Any advice is much appreciated. Much to learn on this receiver!

Thanks,
Carey

If anyone is reading this for newbies - is anyone having receiver menu and remote problems? I have to press the video (or audio) parameter button about a dozen times for the menu to actually work. I can see it flickering between the tuner and the audio parameters until it actually sticks on the right menu. It does this for every other menu as well. On top of this it is skipping to 2 integers instead of 1 - as in, when going from Tuner presets and trying to go from 1 to 2 to 3 it just goes 1 to 3 to 5 and so on.

Seems very temperamental. Wondering if its a software issue or if I've got a lemon? The remote and receiver and on screen menus do not seem to be good friends.

Thanks.
post #2817 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:

If anyone is reading this for newbies - is anyone having receiver menu and remote problems? I have to press the video (or audio) parameter button about a dozen times for the menu to actually work. I can see it flickering between the tuner and the audio parameters until it actually sticks on the right menu. It does this for every other menu as well. On top of this it is skipping to 2 integers instead of 1 - as in, when going from Tuner presets and trying to go from 1 to 2 to 3 it just goes 1 to 3 to 5 and so on.

Seems very temperamental. Wondering if its a software issue or if I've got a lemon? The remote and receiver and on screen menus do not seem to be good friends.

Thanks.

Anyone?
post #2818 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriumTremens View Post

On the Zone 2 -- thank you. ended up using RCA's to "CD" and can run it from that fine. Appreciate the help.

Sound is still bright, but I'll keep working through it. My guess is that it is just a lot of tweaking that needs to happen.

Sorry, there are a lot of posters on here who don't own these receivers and would rather tell you why you should have bought another brand

Again, I would play with the digital filters, Page 62 dfilter, but default is short which is supposed to be warm

Also I assume you ran mcacc and are playing with it on?

The default mcacc can tend to reduce the bass as the measurements are made after the bass has had time to echo around

You need to look at the reverb graphs and see if that is happening

The solution is to run mcacc and specify the delay time, 50 msec is a good place to start but again, you need to see the reverb graph

Here is a reference that explains this

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0708.pdf
post #2819 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone?

Sounds like a bad remote

Do you have any other remotes you can program to control the receiver?
post #2820 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@remoteman...

your tv "outputs" 1080i? no... your tv is a 720p set... it "accepts" 1080i...

unfortunately, the knowledge base for pioneer units rests primarily with some of us who no longer use pioneer equipment... we can still help, if you like, as it appears that the current owners are better at complaining than explaining...

my initial guess is that you are trying to force 1080p... what do you have the video settings in the avr set to?

step 1: turn OFF video processing in the avr (as well as hdmi control on ALL devices)... see what that gets you... then we can go from there...

Thanks for responding. I turned off video processing and HDMI control with no change.

D
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page