post #2821 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourminutesong View Post

If anyone is reading this for newbies - is anyone having receiver menu and remote problems? I have to press the video (or audio) parameter button about a dozen times for the menu to actually work. I can see it flickering between the tuner and the audio parameters until it actually sticks on the right menu. It does this for every other menu as well. On top of this it is skipping to 2 integers instead of 1 - as in, when going from Tuner presets and trying to go from 1 to 2 to 3 it just goes 1 to 3 to 5 and so on.

Seems very temperamental. Wondering if its a software issue or if I've got a lemon? The remote and receiver and on screen menus do not seem to be good friends.

Thanks.

Disclaimer: I do not own a 55/57 (mine is the 27).

It is possible the remote or receiver in the AVR is bad. I do not know if you have RF or IR. If IR, there are a few things I would do (most also apply with RF):
1. Replace the remote's batteries.
2. Clean the remote and AVR covers.
3. Try in a darkened room with the remote right at the receiver (within 1" - 3").
4. Try from different angles, making sure the remote is pointed at the AVR's receiver.
5. If you bought locally, try a different remote.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 3997 Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. Trying a UR that seems to be helping. Separate question though - did you ever notice your video signal degrading a bit when running all HDMI through your receiver?

Thanks,
Carey
post #2823 of 3997 Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourminutesong View Post

Thanks for the advice. Trying a UR that seems to be helping. Separate question though - did you ever notice your video signal degrading a bit when running all HDMI through your receiver?

Thanks,
Carey

I'd check cabling, swap them around, and again turn video processing off
post #2824 of 3997 Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Thanks. I had turned the video processing off. I'll check the cables again but I'm using a brand new, expensive "chocolate" cable from Magnolia so I'm guessing its not that. I'll keep trying though. Had a weird thing happen this morning where the input keeps changing on its own. Seems like there might be a ghost in the machine.

On another note, I have a fairly inexpensive Crosley turntable that I tried running into the Phono input but got an incredible amount of distortion when playing a record through it. The Crosley doesn't have a ground, whereas the phono input does. Wondering if the distortion would be normal in this case or if there might be an issue with that input. Any ideas?
post #2825 of 3997 Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Man View Post

I am still working on it. I had a Pioneer expert look at it and he couldn't fix the problem. He thinks that it is my TV's Hdmi board but I don't agree. I have a Pioneer 1130 HD and no problems until my purchase and use of the Pioneer sc 55. My projector outputs 1080p and my TV outputs 1080i so I think it's a resolution and handshaking problem that I don't know how to fix. Every source including cable, ps3, xbox360, apple tv and my blue ray works perfectly through my projector.

This site is supposed to be about helping Pioneer Elite SC 55/57 owners address set up problems but most of the dialogue is about Denon, Audessey and other topics. Give me a shout if you solve your problem and I will do likewise.

I might hook an old receiver up and see if the problem remains. I tried it with my 1080p kitchen tv and it worked fine.

D

I unplugged the HDMI from sc55 to tv over night and this morning for fun plugged it in and did a reset....and everything is working again. Strange occurrence. I am wondering if maybe the 3rd gen apple tv caused an issue since it was the only new item on the setup and 2 days later issues occurred. I am hoping this is the last of that problem.
post #2826 of 3997 Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc1971 View Post

I unplugged the HDMI from sc55 to tv over night and this morning for fun plugged it in and did a reset....and everything is working again. Strange occurrence. I am wondering if maybe the 3rd gen apple tv caused an issue since it was the only new item on the setup and 2 days later issues occurred. I am hoping this is the last of that problem.

it would be interesting to know if unplugging the power cord and plugging back in 'fixes' the issue.

Especially if you have network standby set to on.

It appears if network standby is on, at least the network firmware does not reset when the receiver is turned off.

So when I do get an issue like icontrolav won't work, cycling power through the remote is won't work.

I have either a) unplug and plug back in or

b) turn network standby off, turn off, turn back on, and turn network standby on

network standy is needed if you want to turn on the receiver remotely either through icontrolav or airplay
post #2827 of 3997 Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM

As per previous posts I am having the same problem and find unplugging cable from back of the unit for just 10 seconds fixes the problem as well! Very Strange!
post #2828 of 3997 Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_NZ View Post

As per previous posts I am having the same problem and find unplugging cable from back of the unit for just 10 seconds fixes the problem as well! Very Strange!

i wonder if it is hdmi out 1 or out 2?

and it would be nice if everyone started listing TV make and model

has anyone tried turning pqls off?
post #2829 of 3997 Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

For me it's HDMI 1 and 2 to my tv. My projector works perfectly through either 1 or 2. I will try pqls off.
post #2830 of 3997 Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:

My Tv is Pioneer 1130 HD which outputs 720p.
post #2831 of 3997 Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Man View Post

My Tv is Pioneer 1130 HD which outputs 720p.

So do you have the output resolution set to auto and have you tried explicitly setting the output resolution to 720p on the receiver?
post #2832 of 3997 Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 PM

My issue is now fixed thanks to Mike at Pioneer Support. He walked me through a number of steps and then figured out that I needed to change my Pioneer 1130 HD's input from 1-3. Everything works well again. It was not my receiver but my TV that had a problem with HDMI input 1.

Thanks for all of the helpful hints by Forum members and other 55/57 owners.

Happy times are here again. I watched Ghost Protocol using Thx Cinema and the sound was awesome.
post #2833 of 3997 Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Just realized that "virtual depth" for the audio is a default with the SC-57. How stupid is that? I would say that most people who have a SC-57 do not have a projector and have a big screen TV. My mains and center are in front of the TV so I have no need for virtual depth. Anyway, I turned it off and it made a big difference with the front stage.
post #2834 of 3997 Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Just realized that "virtual depth" for the audio is a default with the SC-57. How stupid is that? I would say that most people who have a SC-57 do not have a projector and have a big screen TV. My mains and center are in front of the TV so I have no need for virtual depth. Anyway, I turned it off and it made a big difference with the front stage.

Look on page 57 of your manual. All Virtual Depth controls are default to "OFF". Maybe you accidentally turned this on?
post #2835 of 3997 Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post

Look on page 57 of your manual. All Virtual Depth controls are default to "OFF". Maybe you accidentally turned this on?

My bad! Probably happened when I started using my iPad for a remote and virtual depth had been on for some time. Did a check for default settings in video paramter. Need to do this more than once every 4 months or so.
post #2836 of 3997 Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Hey im thinking of the SC-LX85 now that my second Yamaha RX-A3010 has proven to be faulty.

Can someone tell me what their experience is with this receiver? Is it worth it over its brother SC-LX75? Is the fan noisy? Does it run all the time?
post #2837 of 3997 Old 04-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindrian View Post

Hey im thinking of the SC-LX85 now that my second Yamaha RX-A3010 has proven to be faulty.

Can someone tell me what their experience is with this receiver? Is it worth it over its brother SC-LX75? Is the fan noisy? Does it run all the time?

If you need multichannel analog inputs or want to biamp all three front channels yes

Yes, the fan is on all the time and I didn't even know it had a fan until last week, so it does seem pretty quiet
post #2838 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 AM

I'm considering between the pioneer sc57 and the Onkyo 5009. Which is the better receiver? Has anyone demoed these two? Appreciate your thoughts.
post #2839 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Hello all. New to this thread. Former Integra DTR-9.9 user having a frustrating problem with a new SC-57. Here is the admittedly narrow scenario. Hope someone can help with the diagnosis.

I have the AVR connected using only HDMI to a Pro-150FD plasma, a DCX-3400 STB, a Roku 2, an Oppo BDP-83 and an HTPC. HDMI control is off and I'm using Monoprice high speed connectors. I am also using a hardwired network connection to my access point.

I will frequently listen to music streaming from my iPhone via AirPlay. When in this state, all connected devices are off so no HDMI connections are in use. Only the AVR is on. If I shut down the music and turn off the AVR, which I usually do with the iControlAV2 app when finished with AirPlay-only use, I notice that it sometimes takes a long time for the AVR to shut down. Then if I try to turn it back on, I cannot get any of the HDMI connected devices to connect. No blue light on the right hand side, no picture, no sound. Changing inputs does not work. Power cycling does not work, either in whole or in part. I can power cycle everything, power cycle just the AVR, just the display, in different combinations. Nothing works. The only thing that does work (and it always works but is a pain particularly for other family members) is unplugging the AVR, waiting a few seconds, and then plugging it back in. Then all is well until I use just AirPlay again prompting another power cut and reconnection.

I'd really like to not have to keep reaching behind my cabinet to cut the power. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I have replaced a few of the cables already but all worked fine with the Integra. I am trying to figure out whether I simply have a flaky HDMI handshake issue I just have to live with or I have a bad HDMI board. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. Starting to make me a little crazy.
post #2840 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

Hello all. New to this thread. Former Integra DTR-9.9 user having a frustrating problem with a new SC-57. Here is the admittedly narrow scenario. Hope someone can help with the diagnosis.

I have the AVR connected using only HDMI to a Pro-150FD plasma, a DCX-3400 STB, a Roku 2, an Oppo BDP-83 and an HTPC. HDMI control is off and I'm using Monoprice high speed connectors. I am also using a hardwired network connection to my access point.

I will frequently listen to music streaming from my iPhone via AirPlay. When in this state, all connected devices are off so no HDMI connections are in use. Only the AVR is on. If I shut down the music and turn off the AVR, which I usually do with the iControlAV2 app when finished with AirPlay-only use, I notice that it sometimes takes a long time for the AVR to shut down. Then if I try to turn it back on, I cannot get any of the HDMI connected devices to connect. No blue light on the right hand side, no picture, no sound. Changing inputs does not work. Power cycling does not work, either in whole or in part. I can power cycle everything, power cycle just the AVR, just the display, in different combinations. Nothing works. The only thing that does work (and it always works but is a pain particularly for other family members) is unplugging the AVR, waiting a few seconds, and then plugging it back in. Then all is well until I use just AirPlay again prompting another power cut and reconnection.

I'd really like to not have to keep reaching behind my cabinet to cut the power. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I have replaced a few of the cables already but all worked fine with the Integra. I am trying to figure out whether I simply have a flaky HDMI handshake issue I just have to live with or I have a bad HDMI board. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. Starting to make me a little crazy.

Next time it happens, instead of reaching behind and unplugging,

Grab the remote control and turn network standby off, turn off the power wait ten seconds and turn on again. The turn network standby on

You might consider using a fixed ip address Aton the receiver,

I would disconnect all hdmi devices and see if problem goes and the connect each device one by one

There are settings associated with control through hdmi and power off pass through on hdmi as well as pqls

Refer to page 53 of the manual and turn all the control features off
post #2841 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Grab the remote control and turn network standby off, turn off the power wait ten seconds and turn on again. The turn network standby on

I would disconnect all hdmi devices and see if problem goes and the connect each device one by one

There are settings associated with control through hdmi and power off pass through on hdmi as well as pqls

Thanks for the response. Last two are not the issue. HDMI control is off so none of the HDMI control issues are in play. I'll give the other ideas a shot. A fixed IP is easy enough. I already reserve addresses for other devices. Wasn't sure how to accomplish the first idea since I can't get a connection to the display but then I forgot the panel display on the AVR. I hadn't thought about this potentially being a network connection issue. Thanks again.
post #2842 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok. I think you may have isolated the problem. I started with the fixed ip solution first because it was easy. Didn't solve the problem. When the HDMI locked up again, I tried the first solution. I grabbed the remote, turned network standby off and then powered down. I noticed that it took a looooooong time to turn off fully. But when I powered back up, the HDMI reengaged just like it was supposed to without having to disconnect the power. Great call. Seems to have something to do with the network connection not releasing cleanly. Would never have guessed it would have anything to do with HDMI.

Now on to the next question. The workaround is almost as cumbersome as unplugging. Any thoughts on how to proceed with a fix? Am i doing something wrong when i exit AirPlay that I souldn't be doing that's causing the lock up? Or is it just a bug? Bad NIC and it needs to be serviced? I'm curious as to what aroused your suspicion and if you have a fix in mind.

Thanks again for your help.
post #2843 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Does anyone know when Pioneer is rolling out their next AVR flagship; where can I get specs. on it?
post #2844 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpob69 View Post

Does anyone know when Pioneer is rolling out their next AVR flagship; where can I get specs. on it?

My dealer checked for me about a month ago when I bought my SC-57 and his information is that the new flagship is tentatively due out at the end of June. But he couldn't access any specs.
post #2845 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok. I think you may have isolated the problem. I started with the fixed ip solution first because it was easy. Didn't solve the problem. When the HDMI locked up again, I tried the first solution. I grabbed the remote, turned network standby off and then powered down. I noticed that it took a looooooong time to turn off fully. But when I powered back up, the HDMI reengaged just like it was supposed to without having to disconnect the power. Great call. Seems to have something to do with the network connection not releasing cleanly. Would never have guessed it would have anything to do with HDMI.

Now on to the next question. The workaround is almost as cumbersome as unplugging. Any thoughts on how to proceed with a fix? Am i doing something wrong when i exit AirPlay that I souldn't be doing that's causing the lock up? Or is it just a bug? Bad NIC and it needs to be serviced? I'm curious as to what aroused your suspicion and if you have a fix in mind.

Thanks again for your help.

When the avr is in network standby and you turn it off, it really doesn't go off.

That is why you can remotely turn it on over the network.

If you turn network standby off, when you turn off the avr, it truly turns off and so I believe when you turn it on it resets all the hardware and software.

My bet would be a firmware bug. I have spent a good portion of my life tracing down and eradicating such vermin.

In my line of work, anything that requires cycling of power and won't work 24/7 is completely unacceptable

So you are saying even with everything disconnected and all the hdmi control features turned off it still locked up?
post #2846 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My dealer checked for me about a month ago when I bought my SC-57 and his information is that the new flagship is tentatively due out at the end of June. But he couldn't access any specs.

The sc55/57 came out at the end of july.
post #2847 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Its hard to judge the quality of this receiver from all the mixed reviews around here. Not to mention im finding it really difficult to find a pro review other than a regurgitation of the specs.

I made a thread earlier, but got no replies so ill ask here. For the same price, would u rather have the SC-55 new or the Yamaha RX-A3000 refurbished? What is your opinion of the A3000?

post #2848 of 3997 Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Its hard to judge the quality of this receiver from all the mixed reviews around here. Not to mention im finding it really difficult to find a pro review other than a regurgitation of the specs.

I made a thread earlier, but got no replies so ill ask here. For the same price, would u rather have the SC-55 new or the Yamaha RX-A3000 refurbished? What is your opinion of the A3000?

No question in my mind because I have had Yamaha's before this year and the sound that I am getting with my SC 55 is the best. I am hearing audio in some movies that I did not know was there.
post #2849 of 3997 Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When the avr is in network standby and you turn it off, it really doesn't go off.

That is why you can remotely turn it on over the network.

If you turn network standby off, when you turn off the avr, it truly turns off and so I believe when you turn it on it resets all the hardware and software.

My bet would be a firmware bug. I have spent a good portion of my life tracing down and eradicating such vermin.

In my line of work, anything that requires cycling of power and won't work 24/7 is completely unacceptable

So you are saying even with everything disconnected and all the hdmi control features turned off it still locked up?

Makes sense. These receivers behave more and more like computers every day. NIC usually doesn't power down on the motherboard when you shut off a computer. Problem is, when you have a flaky NIC, the issue is usually a driver. And Pioneer hasn't released any fixes since the Rhapsody fix last year. Maybe I'll call customer support and describe the problem (and the fix) and gauge their reaction.

I never had HDMI control activated. I learned from my Integra that HDMI control generally creates more problems than it's worth. I have not yet attempted to replicate the problem having all the HDMI cables detached. Didn't strike me as necessary since the computer (I mean, receiver) connected up, HDMI and all, as soon as I cleared network standby and restarted as you recommended. It would never clear with just a power cycle before. But I agree it is probably worth trying.

Thanks for helping me think through this.
post #2850 of 3997 Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Makes sense. These receivers behave more and more like computers every day. NIC usually doesn't power down on the motherboard when you shut off a computer. Problem is, when you have a flaky NIC, the issue is usually a driver. And Pioneer hasn't released any fixes since the Rhapsody fix last year. Maybe I'll call customer support and describe the problem (and the fix) and gauge their reaction.

I never had HDMI control activated. I learned from my Integra that HDMI control generally creates more problems than it's worth. I have not yet attempted to replicate the problem having all the HDMI cables detached. Didn't strike me as necessary since the computer (I mean, receiver) connected up, HDMI and all, as soon as I cleared network standby and restarted as you recommended. It would never clear with just a power cycle before. But I agree it is probably worth trying.

Thanks for helping me think through this.

The reason I suggest disconnecting the hdmi connections is that while I have had issue with the network connection, I have not seen what you are describing where the hdmi stops working

Perhaps that can help you isolate the offending component

What is you standby through setting? Page 53

And yes, I would contact pioneer customer service
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page