The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2881 of 3997 Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I also contacted pioneer support and they explained it the same way. I have that now. I am now trying to figure out the icontrol 2 app. i have it on my iphone but it is telling me there is a network error. I am on my home wifi, and I was not sure if i need to manually enter my ip address. I didnt have to do any of that for the receiver at initial intstall it did it automatically. Having trouble finding any setup info online . I just dont want to get everything screwed up. I have everything working now afraid to start punching buttons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3997 Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF66 View Post

Thanks. I also contacted pioneer support and they explained it the same way. I have that now. I am now trying to figure out the icontrol 2 app. i have it on my iphone but it is telling me there is a network error. I am on my home wifi, and I was not sure if i need to manually enter my ip address. I didnt have to do any of that for the receiver at initial intstall it did it automatically. Having trouble finding any setup info online . I just dont want to get everything screwed up. I have everything working now afraid to start punching buttons.

No, I think it is a bug in the receiver because the other network functions including AirPlay still work.

You wont screw anything up, punch away.
post #2883 of 3997 Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV Boy View Post

My SC-55, which is working well generally, has repeatedly (every couple of days) refused to respond to the iControl AV2 app on various of my IOs Apple devices, an iPhone 4, an iPhone 3 GS, and 2 iPads, 1 first generation, and the other an iPad 2. I get an error message code 57113 and "check your device" message and cannot reconnect until I go to the receiver, pull the power cord or hold the power button for about 10 seconds, then turn the receiver back on. Anyone know what the bug is? and, of course, how to fix it. Very annoying to have the machine repeatedly lose remote connectivity. The receiver is connected to my home network via ethernet and two hubs back to my Apple Time Machine Station/Router.

Also, I could not get the Zone 2 hook-up to run for more than about 20-30 minutes without shutting off when I was connecting the Front Wide speaker outs via a Niles Impedance compensated speaker switch and volume control with two sets of small 8 ohm bookshelf speakers. It continued to shut down even after I changed the hook-up to one using my vintage MacIntosh 2100 power amp connected to the ZONE 2 Pre-amp outs on the SC-55. There must be some thermal overload circuit to prevent you from conncecting more than one set of speakers to any Zone 2 configuation. It's kind of ironic, too, because my old Integra AV amp, jury-rigged to switch component video through a Zector a/v switch would run all day via its multi-source pre-amp outs connected to multiple speaker pairs via the Niles. Not so, for the Pioneer in Zone 2. When I switched the MacIntosh to the ZONE 3 pre-amp outs, the system plays perfectly, with no shut-offs. Anyone know why this is?

Any help or advice about the repeated IOS remote app problem would be helpful. Is this problem wide-spread with Pioneer Air Play receivers. Also, the receiver won't play any podcasts, even though the web site lists hundreds you can connect to. Why is this? The internet radio stations play OK, though.

Try rebooting your I device. I have basically the same setup that you do and it works for me. Also, I unplug my time capsule about once a week for five minutes.
post #2884 of 3997 Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Well, i ended up buying the SC-55 tonight from an online dealer. I'm really excited for it to come and a little nervous as well. The unit is brand new in box, but according to pioneers website since the company is "unauthorized" i have no warranty. Has anyone dealt w/ service from pioneer on "unauthorized" products and are they really strict about not covering it or are they lenient?

If you are concerned about a warranty, try squaretrade.com. They will cover you for the next 3 years.

Chris Blount
post #2885 of 3997 Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK so here's the deal. Earlier in the thread I posted how bright the sound is from the SC-55. A few of you gave me some very good suggestions (switching to THX mode, etc) which somewhat worked but the sound was still a bit too bright.

The other day just for kicks I went into MCACC settings to see how MCACC equlized the speakers. Turns out that it basically lowered the volume on the lower frequencies (around 2K and below) and turned up the 5K band setting above all the others. I flattented out the equlizers for all speakers and Voila!, nice warm and full sound.

On all of the other Pioneer receivers I've had, I don't think I've ever seen the MCACC get it this wrong for my room. Really weird.

In any case, now my SC-55 sounds like it should and much better than my last Elite receiver.

Chris Blount
post #2886 of 3997 Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

OK so here's the deal. Earlier in the thread I posted how bright the sound is from the SC-55. A few of you gave me some very good suggestions (switching to THX mode, etc) which somewhat worked but the sound was still a bit too bright.

The other day just for kicks I went into MCACC settings to see how MCACC equlized the speakers. Turns out that it basically lowered the volume on the lower frequencies (around 2K and below) and turned up the 5K band setting above all the others. I flattented out the equlizers for all speakers and Voila!, nice warm and full sound.

On all of the other Pioneer receivers I've had, I don't think I've ever seen the MCACC get it this wrong for my room. Really weird.

In any case, now my SC-55 sounds like it should and much better than my last Elite receiver.

May be a bad mic. Do you still have any of your old receivers? If so, maybe you can try an older mic from one of your previous receivers.
post #2887 of 3997 Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

Did you read the advanced mcacc manual? Did you look at the reverb graphs?
post #2888 of 3997 Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I really think this MCACC stuff is for the birds. Trust your ears, take some time, and it will work out, Grasshopper!
post #2889 of 3997 Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post

I really think this MCACC stuff is for the birds. Trust your ears, take some time, and it will work out, Grasshopper!

I agree. It's amazing what your ears can tell you.

Chris Blount
post #2890 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

How do i set up 9.1?

I already have the 7.1 setup and i'm adding 2 more speakers, but not exactly sure on their placement. How far above the L/R channels should they be and approx how many degrees from center?

Ahh, i'm getting so impatient! Nothings worse than seeing it "out for delivery" and waiting for that knock on the door!

post #2891 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 AM

Finally have the bugs worked out with my icontrol 2 and noticed that my zone 2 keeps shutting down. I had main zone and zone 2 working at the same time and about like clockwork zone 2 would shut off and I would have to turn it back on. I also operated zone 2 independently and it still shut off. I was wondering if there was some selection on the set up that I need to adjust. I was listening to internet radio I didnt try another audio source.
post #2892 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Mcacc,ypao and Audysey all get it wrong. Too bright and they suck the life out of the midrange area. I had my system professionally calibrated by Umr,Jeff Meier and I can tell you that it makes a huge differrence. I attached a graph of what "pocket rta" app showed me on my ipad after he calibrated (pocket rta set to no weighting). I did this playing pink noise from an avia II audio test disk from all 5 speakers just like he did with his own test disc and equipment. The attached graph shows the results. This is what a professional cal job with professional equipment looks like using pocket rta app.

If you dl pocket rta on your device, play back pink noise on all 5 channels, you can manually adjust your receivers EQ to emulate my graph. This will be a very good approxiamation of a pro calibrated system. Much,much better than its built in auto cal system.

Remember, he manually calibrated the system with his equipment. All I did was measure his results with my equipment ( pocket rta and avia2 disc). Set pocket rta to "no weighting" to get the your EQ results to look like this. I tried this on my sons system and it worked beautifully . We a/b'd audyssey results vs. our manual settings for hours. Just smoked the auto cal results. Everything more natural and pleasing .If you listen to a variety of material (cd,vinyl,movies)and have a good ear, you will discover the same thing.

I hope someone tries this and posts their impressions.
LL

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #2893 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

If you dl pocket rta on your device, play back pink noise on all 5 channels, you can manually adjust your receivers EQ to emulate my graph. This will be a very good approxiamation of a pro calibrated system. Much,much better than its built in auto cal system.

no comment any part of post except the bolded part... i seriously doubt that jeff would agree with your conclusion...

i think that jeff would laugh himself silly at the thought of accomplishing the bolded part with an idevice microphone and a crude rta iapp...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2894 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

no comment any part of post except the bolded part... i seriously doubt that jeff would agree with your conclusion...

i think that jeff would laugh himself silly at the thought of accomplishing the bolded part with an idevice microphone and a crude rta iapp...

I disagree. Jeff has been to my home 6 times and on several of them ,i ran my app as he was doing his calibrations to compare differences just for grins. Turns out,the differences aren't all THAT diff. He was even impressed. Granted, the 1/6 octave pocket rta eq is no match for his 1/24 octave, but it tracked well enough to impress.

All I'm suggesting is that you will get a very good approx. of pro cal. Not outstanding,not excellent,but very good. It could get to be excellent with some final tweaks,but for sure very good. Point being it will be much better than any auto cal that I've ever tried. Jeff doesn't have anything good about them either ,for the most part.

post #2895 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

All I'm suggesting is that you will get a very good approx. of pro cal. Not outstanding,not excellent,but very good. It could get to be excellent with some final tweaks,but for sure very good. Point being it will be much better than any auto cal that I've ever tried. Jeff doesn't have anything good about them either ,for the most part.

Is this with your Onkyo NR906? If so, the limiting factor is not the RTA. Rather, it is the seven band manual EQ built into your AVR. You are free to prefer whatever you like, but you are crazy if you think that a seven band EQ can even approach the level of correction that Audyssey offers. You have shown your low res Pocket RTA screenshot, but I would love to see a higher res waterfall plot of your system in your room. The amplitude vs frequency and time performance may not be nearly as good as you believe it to be.

Furthermore, not to impugn Jeff Meier, but he has a vested interest in manual calibration, as auto EQ programs compete against his services.

AJ
post #2896 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Is this with your Onkyo NR906? If so, the limiting factor is not the RTA. Rather, it is the seven band manual EQ built into your AVR. You are free to prefer whatever you like, but you are crazy if you think that a seven band EQ can even approach the level of correction that Audyssey offers. You have shown your low res Pocket RTA screenshot, but I would love to see a higher res waterfall plot of your system in your room. The amplitude vs frequency and time performance may not be nearly as good as you believe it to be.

Furthermore, not to impugn Jeff Meier, but he has a vested interest in manual calibration, as auto EQ programs compete against his services.

AJ

Actually, I now have the Onkyo Tx-nr 5008. Same 7 band Eq.

What I am saying is very simple. Manual calibration from Jeff using the 7 band eq in my receiver (along with my velodyne sms-1 for sub) resulted in significantly better audio across the board. It just simply sounds correct. I never ever feel the need to adjust or re-adjust any settings after his audio calibrations. Auto cal systems sound harsh in comparison.all of them! For cuasal listening,I think they are fine,for critical listening,forget it.. My manual calibration of my sons system using my graph produced equally superior results than Audyssey. We got tired of trying different mic placements with Audyssey hoping for some significant improvement. None equaled the manual calibration. As a side note,I calibrate video and audio as a hobby for friends and family with similar results. I have been an audio/video hobbiest since the seventies and I trust my eyes and ears. I calibrate them often by going to the movies and live concerts. Btw,just had a hearing test and they are still going strong with only the slightest of dips in the 3-4k area. Audioligist was even impressed lol.

Jeff does have a vested interest in manual calibration. It stems from his 30 years of audio engineer experience and his personal observations listening to and analyzing auto cal results. They just don't produce nearly as good results as his manual calibrations. He always tells his clients,that if you do not like the results, I will return to your settings and not charge you. His fee for audio calibration is very reasonable and I consider it a steal given the results.

post #2897 of 3997 Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Hey,

I've had the same problem with my unit (LX-75 which is the 55 over there), as well as the whole HDMI handshake not working - pulling plug out for 10 seconds to fix - then finally nothing connecting for 3 days so took it back and Pioneer are looking into it for me now while I use a loan identical unit. I don't know what is causing this, but it seems to be several people having the same problems!

I double checked in the menu and Zone 2 auto shut down is off (This turns it off automatically if no signal is received) but mine shuts down mid song like yours but had to check as that was the only thing I could think of in the menu that would cause this problem.

I will let you know what Pioneer down here in New Zealand say is causing this, if they can work it out! As this is the 3rd unit I've sent back and the others they said had no problems at all!

Quote:

Finally have the bugs worked out with my icontrol 2 and noticed that my zone 2 keeps shutting down. I had main zone and zone 2 working at the same time and about like clockwork zone 2 would shut off and I would have to turn it back on. I also operated zone 2 independently and it still shut off. I was wondering if there was some selection on the set up that I need to adjust. I was listening to internet radio I didnt try another audio source.

post #2898 of 3997 Old 04-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Liked: 12
Any SC-57 owners out there driving a Monitor Audio 5.1 Gold or Silver system with their AVR?

If so, what's your impression been - is the AVR providing plenty of power and driving the speaker comfortably? Any issues? Finding it a good match?

Cheers,
JD
post #2899 of 3997 Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For zone 2 powering off, see page 81 auto power off, turn zone 2 to off. If you read the section very carefully about 20 times you will understand
post #2900 of 3997 Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_NZ View Post

I double checked in the menu and Zone 2 auto shut down is off (This turns it off automatically if no signal is received) but mine shuts down mid song like yours but had to check as that was the only thing I could think of in the menu that would cause this problem.

Actually, zone 2 shuts down automatically even if it receives a signal, unless you turn auto shutdown for it off
post #2901 of 3997 Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM

Yes the Auto shut off is set to off, as above, but it still shuts down by itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

Actually, zone 2 shuts down automatically even if it receives a signal, unless you turn auto shutdown for it off

post #2902 of 3997 Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is a new firmware out! V.0215

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
post #2903 of 3997 Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM

Does anyone know when Pioneer is scheduled to come out with the replacements for the SC-55 and SC-57? I am curious to see what the new features are before I pull the trigger. Hoping for a recessed control panel and analog inputs on the 55 series..

Anyone ?
post #2904 of 3997 Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

there will likely be some type of announcement soon...

if the 55 does not currently have mch analog inputs (which i'm surmising is what you are asking for), i would not hold my breath waiting for the replacement to have them added on...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2905 of 3997 Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM

probably right, my biggest hang up is i wish the front panel door was flush with recessed controls. i know i can't have everything but for a receiver of this price range i think it would look much better. The others do but the sc-55 sure does sound better than the yamaha marantz and onkyo in my opinion
post #2906 of 3997 Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM

This is my first post to this forum, which I've found to be a real education. I just got an SC-57 on the advise of a local HT store as having the best change of handling the Martin Logan reQuest hybrid electrostats I inherited from my dad, for under $2K. A storm a month ago fried my entire AV system & the refrigerator (but the speakers survived), despite a MonsterPower HTS5000 protector. I was previously using a Pioneer VSX816K, and sending the pre-amp out to my father's Krell 250 wpc amp which bi-amped the speakers. This was capable of being painfully loud without trouble (and the Krell kept the room warm in the winter).

When I got the SC-57 I set it up as "7.2 channel surround system & Front Bi-amping," as per page 18 in the manual. The center and surround speakers are small old book-shelfs (college tuition comes first). With all channels running (but no subwoofer) after the MCACC, I tried a Star Wars DVD (Samsung BDD5500 player) and was woefully disappointed in the limited volume. When I had the volume over -10dB, the receiver would shut down at loud passages (which weren't so loud), which I presume is a self-preservation behavior. This problem applied to 2 other Star Wars DVDs and I was ready to take the unit back and get the cheaper SC-55 plus an outboard 2ch amp (I'd like to stay within the insurance company's reimbursement).

The next day on a whim I tried the Avatar BD, and the SC-57 rattled the floor and my gonads! I'd like to hear an explanation for this phenomenon; is it the DVDs, the blue-ray disc player, or the receiver, responsible for this behavior? For the meantime, I've set the SC-57 to limit the volume to -10dB to avoid the issue as I don't know if there's any chance of this damaging the speakers when the SC-57 shuts down.

I'd also like advise on whether I just have to buckle down and get an outboard 2ch amp to drive the speakers. Alternatively, is the problem one of some setting or incompatibility between components (I can get a Pioneer BD player if need be at your advise) such that I can keep the SC-57? I desperately want to keep using the Martin Logans, both for their wonderful sound stage and as they are a fond reminder of my dad for the entire family.
post #2907 of 3997 Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 AM

Liked: 11
Don't know.

But not the first time I've seen and read of a SC-57 clamping (shut down) with similar volume setting.

Exchange it and see if another SC-57 does it, it might not
post #2908 of 3997 Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideyes View Post

This is my first post to this forum, which I've found to be a real education. I just got an SC-57 on the advise of a local HT store as having the best change of handling the Martin Logan reQuest hybrid electrostats I inherited from my dad, for under $2K. A storm a month ago fried my entire AV system & the refrigerator (but the speakers survived), despite a MonsterPower HTS5000 protector. I was previously using a Pioneer VSX816K, and sending the pre-amp out to my father's Krell 250 wpc amp which bi-amped the speakers. This was capable of being painfully loud without trouble (and the Krell kept the room warm in the winter).

When I got the SC-57 I set it up as "7.2 channel surround system & Front Bi-amping," as per page 18 in the manual. The center and surround speakers are small old book-shelfs (college tuition comes first). With all channels running (but no subwoofer) after the MCACC, I tried a Star Wars DVD (Samsung BDD5500 player) and was woefully disappointed in the limited volume. When I had the volume over -10dB, the receiver would shut down at loud passages (which weren't so loud), which I presume is a self-preservation behavior. This problem applied to 2 other Star Wars DVDs and I was ready to take the unit back and get the cheaper SC-55 plus an outboard 2ch amp (I'd like to stay within the insurance company's reimbursement).

The next day on a whim I tried the Avatar BD, and the SC-57 rattled the floor and my gonads! I'd like to hear an explanation for this phenomenon; is it the DVDs, the blue-ray disc player, or the receiver, responsible for this behavior? For the meantime, I've set the SC-57 to limit the volume to -10dB to avoid the issue as I don't know if there's any chance of this damaging the speakers when the SC-57 shuts down.

I'd also like advise on whether I just have to buckle down and get an outboard 2ch amp to drive the speakers. Alternatively, is the problem one of some setting or incompatibility between components (I can get a Pioneer BD player if need be at your advise) such that I can keep the SC-57? I desperately want to keep using the Martin Logans, both for their wonderful sound stage and as they are a fond reminder of my dad for the entire family.

I have heard a lot of negative things about passive bi-amping, but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem. Have you tried setting up your system using a normal 9.1 configuration (no bi-amping) and seeing if you can replicate the problem?
post #2909 of 3997 Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Does anyone know how to turn off the video out while using Airplay?

I want to watch TV while listening to music.

Thanks.
post #2910 of 3997 Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM

That's exciting!! :-) Is there somewhere we can see what the update does/problems it fixes?!!!! I'm hoping beyond hope that this might fix the HDMI handshake and Zone 2 shut down problems that I (and others) have been having!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

There is a new firmware out! V.0215

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page