AVS Forum banner
538K views 4K replies 456 participants last post by  narcismun 
#1 ·
The 2011 Pioneer Elite 9.1 SC-55 and SC-57 AVR's have hit dealers.

MSRP FOR THE SC-55 is $1700.00 and the SC-57 is $2100.00.

PRODUCT PAGES:

Pioneer SC-55

Pioneer SC-57

NOTE THAT THERE ARE A COUPLE OF VIDEOS ON THE PRODUCT PAGES THAT SHOWCASE THE TECHNOLOGY AND FEATURES

These AVR's use a new digital amp design that Pioneer has coined D3.

Quote:
An amplifier for the power hungry

The SC-57’s Class D3 9-channel amplifier is the most powerful amplifier of any multi-channel A/V receiver in the industry. Keeping the new audio formats of the Blu-ray Disc format in mind, Class D3 takes high-resolution multi-channel audio to a whole new level of immersive performance

Rated at 140 watts x 9 channels is a lot of power but is not the whole story. Where the SC-57 really shows its unprecedented power output capability is when driving multi-channels simultaneously without losing significant per-channel output. Class A/B amplifiers simply cannot match the efficiency of Class D3 as their power output per channel diminishes rapidly when more channels are added to the work-load. This kind of unprecedented power capability allows you to appreciate the full dynamics from any media source in a way never before possible. The ability to drive more channels, simultaneously, means you can fully reproduce all of the dynamics and impact of high definition multi-channel Dolby and DTS soundtracks with up to 9 channels of the highest quality power output available today.

LINKS FOR THE PRODUCT SHEET AND OWNERS MANUALS (note these are direct links to the PDF downloads):

SC-55 Product Sheet

SC-57 Product Sheet

SC-55/57 Owners Manual

Both AVR's are compatible with the iPad App iControl AV2, which gives fairly complex control oner the operation and setup of the receivers.

Pioneer iControl AV2 Product Page (which includes link to app at iTunes Store)

In addition, both the SC-55 and SC-57 are compatible with the RF remote system RF-CU100 (which uses an LCD screen which essentially mimics that front panel LCD on the remote.)

SPECS AND DETAILS:

New and/or notable features are in bold:

Details for the SC-55:

Class D3 AMPLIFICATION

140 W x 9 (1 kHz, THD 0.08% @ 8 ohms FTC)

› Multi Channel Simultaneous Drive Capability Total 720 W (8 ohms, 1Hz,THD, 1%)

› 8 & 6 Ohm Impedance Select

BUILD

› 3D Space Frame Construction

› Aluminum Front Panel

› Advanced Direct Construction

› Trans. Stabilizer

AUDIO FEATURES

› AIR Studios Monitor Certification

THX® Select 2 Plus

› Dolby® TrueHD / Dolby Pro Logic® IIz / Dolby Pro Logic IIx / Dolby Digital EX / Dolby Digital Plus

› DTS-HD® Master Audio / DTS Neo:X - 9.1 Channel Surround / DTS Neural Surround / DTS-ES

› Dual TI “Aureus” 32-Bit Digital Core Engine

› 192 kHz / 32-bit Digital to Analog Converter

› 192 kHz / 24-bit Analog to Digital Converter

› Pioneer Advanced MCACC Room Calibration

• 3D Time Axis Measurement

• Polarity Check

Reverb Before and After Calibration Results (OSD and iPad)

• Standing Wave Control

› Pioneer Sound Enhancements

• 32-Bit High Bit Sampling

• Full Band Phase Control

• Phase Control Plus

• Virtual Depth, Height and Surround Back

• Optimum Surround - Auto Bass, Dialog, and Surround Balancing

• Jitter Reduction

• PQLS Bit-stream

• Auto Sound Retriever (Multi)

• Sound Retriever AIR / Sound Retriever Link

• Front Wide Surround Movie & Music

• Auto Level Control (Multi)

• Advanced Surround (15 Mode DSP)

• Front Stage Surround

• Headphone Surround

VIDEO FEATURES

› Marvell QdeoTM 1080p/24fps Video Scaler

› Advanced Video Adjust

› Stream Smoother / Stream Smoother Link

› Triple HD Noise Reduction

› Video Conversion to HDMI

› HDMI® Features

• 3D Ready (Blu-ray Disc®, Broadcast and Game)

• Audio Return Channel

• Deep Color and x.v.ColorTM

HOME NETWORK FEATURES

AirPlay

› DLNA Certified® (1.5)

› Internet Radio with vTuner

› PANDORA internet radio

› Rhapsody® Music Service1

› Sirius® Internet Radio1

› Windows® 7 Certified

› Home Media Gallery

› FLAC 192 kHz / 24-bit Audio File Playback via Network

› WAV 192 kHz / 24-bit Audio File Playback via Network

CONNECTIVITY

› Made for iPod®, iPhone®, iPad®

• Charges iPhone, iPad, iPod

• Combination USB / Composite Video Cable Supplied

• iPhone, iPad, iPod Stored and Streaming Audio & Video with Album Art

› Memory Audio Playback (MP3/WMA/WAV) › Pioneer Air Jam App

• Connects via Bluetooth® to Share Music and Create Playlists (With iPod touch, iPhone, iPad)

• Free via the App StoreSM (Optional AS-BT200 Bluetooth Adapter Required)

› HDMI Inputs (7 In (6 Back, 1 Front) / 2 Out)

› Front USB Input

› Ethernet Terminal

› Wireless LAN Ready (Optional AS-WL300 Wireless LAN Converter Required)

› Phono Input

› Sirius XM Radio Ready2

› Adapter Port (Optional AS-BT100 or AS-BT200 Bluetooth Adapter Required)

› Component Video Inputs (3 In / 1 Out)

› Digital Inputs (2 Coaxial, 3 Optical)

› Analog A/V Inputs (4 A/V, 1 Audio)

› 11.2 Assignable Pre-Outs for up to 9.1 Channel Playback

› 7 Mode Speaker Assignment

› Large Speaker Terminals (9 Channels Assignable)

CUSTOM

› Pioneer iControlAV2 App

• A/V Receiver and Blu-ray Disc player Control From iPod touch, iPhone, iPad • Free via the App StoreSM

› IP Control with Full 2-Way Feedback

› AVNavigator System Set-Up (CD-ROM Included for PC) › Full Color Graphic User Interface (GUI)

› Zone 2 AV with HD Component Video Output

› Zone 3 AV

› RS-232C

› 12v Trigger (2 Out)

› SR In/Out

› IR(2In/1Out)

› HDMI Standby Through for Low Power Consumption

› Detachable Power Cord

› Auto Power Down

› Illuminated Learning Remote Control

____________________________________________________________ __

Additional features of the SC-57 over the SC-55:

› Gold Pin Plug

› Selected Skeleton Speaker Terminals

› THX® Ultra 2 Plus

MCACC Features:

> Precision Distance

Pioneer Sound Enhancements:

> Front, Center, Surround, B-Speaker Bi-Amp

Connectivity:

> Multi Channel Analog Input (7.1)

> 10 Mode Speaker Assignment

REVIEW LINKS

Home Theater Magazine Oct 11 Review

See less See more
#1,782 ·
I didn't need to turn anything on. It's possible I told Windows to make an exception for iTunes when I installed it long ago, I can't recall. What is very important is that the streaming device be connected to the same wireless network as the receiver. If the device doesn't connect to your network, no go. Trying to do it over, say, a 3G (cellphone) network won't work either. Same goes for the remote app.

#1,783 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd /forum/post/21416605

There is really nothing special to turn AirPlay on

You do need to make sure there isn't a router between your wireless access point and the rcvr

In my case, the PC, modem, wireless router

are in another room. This is about 20 feet

away. No interference with that set up, right?

Also, I am a little confused by the

official list at Vann's of "9.1".

Is this truly 9.1 or 9.2? I have two

SW's in my main room. Thx ahead.

#1,784 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noncom23 /forum/post/0

In my case, the PC, modem, wireless router

are in another room. This is about 20 feet

away. No interference with that set up, right?

Also, I am a little confused by the

official list at Vann's of "9.1".

Is this truly 9.1 or 9.2? I have two

SW's in my main room. Thx ahead.

How will the receiver be connected to the wireless router?

There are two sw outputs on the back

#1,785 ·
I have an Internet router from Rogers that has built in wifi. I am able to control the sc 57 via the icontrolav2 app. I can connect to the Internet and Sirius radio but on none of my other devices-laptop, iPad, iPhone 4- do I see the airplay logo - all are on the same wireless network and running ios5 and iTunes 10.5. I have tried everything I can think of. Anyone who can help me setup the airplay would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#1,786 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboutdt /forum/post/0

I have an Internet router from Rogers that has built in wifi. I am able to control the sc 57 via the icontrolav2 app. I can connect to the Internet and Sirius radio but on none of my other devices-laptop, iPad, iPhone 4- do I see the airplay logo - all are on the same wireless network and running ios5 and iTunes 10.5. I have tried everything I can think of. Anyone who can help me setup the airplay would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just to be clear, you don't see the AirPlay option as shown in the image below

How is the receiver connected to the router

Is network standby on or off if it is on try unplugging and plugging back in the receiver as well as the router

It might be your wireless router

Attachment 232370

#1,790 ·
I have an apple airport extreme hooked to my cable modem via Ethernet cable. I added an apple airport express which has an Ethernet port on it and connected it to my SC55 via Ethernet cable. AirPlay works like a charm with my ipad2 and iphone 4S and I am using icontrol2 on both devices. Hope this helps.

#1,792 ·
I've been running my HT with an SC-57 for over 3 months. HDMI connections to DirecTV DVR, Pioneer Blu-Ray, Pioneer Kuro display, AppleTV (1st gen) and analog audio connects with CD changer, Olive music server, and SACD player. Also I have been using Sirius internet radio and Airplay from my iPad no problem.

Yesterday morning we watched a DVD (on the Blu-Ray player) and DirecTV, and listened to a CD. Late afternoon we turned on the SC-57 and now there is no sound and no video from any connected device, analog or digital. There is also no sound from Sirius internet radio. I've unplugged the SC-57 three or four times in an attempt to reset it, but no change: still no sound, no video.

We still get all the usual info on the display; no warnings or anything out of the ordinary. Switching from one input to another is now sometimes oddly delayed; switching inputs sometimes makes the usual deep mechanical click, but sometimes doesn't. On/Off switch now behaves strangely as well -- a firm press sometimes turns the unit on (or off), but sometimes doesn't. Also, one time when I turned it on, the TV screen was completely red for a few seconds and then turned black (no signal). Otherwise, the TV has been black at all times and for all inputs.

The only unusual event before this was in the morning. Listening to an often-played CD, the sound was sometimes scratchy in all speakers (this had never happened before, with this or any other CD) and when it was, the OVER light on the display flashed. After checking the manual, I hit the A.ATT button on the remote to turn on the input attenuator, and the scratchiness went away. We watched satellite TV and a DVD after this no problem. The issue occurred later in the day, when we turned it on after a few hours of inactivity.

I'd like to think otherwise, but I assume this is something only a technician can repair. Any thoughts or advice or possible techniques for jolting the unit back to life?

#1,793 ·
I'm asking for some help from some of you with way more audio experience than myself...hopefully I can pass it on someday soon

I just ordered an Elite SC-55 for $1079, but I've been on the fence between this one and a VSX-1121 ($495 on Amazon). I still may cancel the order before shipping, so hopefully someone could help me with this decision.

So, on paper, the big differences are 110 watts/channel (1121) vs. 140 watts/channel (SC-55), and 7.1 channels (1121) vs. 9.1 channels (SC-55). Now I'm sure the SC-55 has a few more airplay and DLAN networking features too.

I'm getting a set of 5 Infinity Primus 150 watt speakers and 2 floorstanding 200 watts for my 7.1 system, so I'm not sure whether the difference in sound (and extra zone capabilities) from the SC-55 will justify an extra $600.

I currently have a Pioneer VSX-516 and am upgrading to an HD compatible receiver for my new Mitsubishi WD-82740.

Thanks so much for any help!

#1,794 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintypes /forum/post/21430438

I've been running my HT with an SC-57 for over 3 months. HDMI connections to DirecTV DVR, Pioneer Blu-Ray, Pioneer Kuro display, AppleTV (1st gen) and analog audio connects with CD changer, Olive music server, and SACD player. Also I have been using Sirius internet radio and Airplay from my iPad no problem.

Yesterday morning we watched a DVD (on the Blu-Ray player) and DirecTV, and listened to a CD. Late afternoon we turned on the SC-57 and now there is no sound and no video from any connected device, analog or digital. There is also no sound from Sirius internet radio. I've unplugged the SC-57 three or four times in an attempt to reset it, but no change: still no sound, no video.

We still get all the usual info on the display; no warnings or anything out of the ordinary. Switching from one input to another is now sometimes oddly delayed; switching inputs sometimes makes the usual deep mechanical click, but sometimes doesn't. On/Off switch now behaves strangely as well -- a firm press sometimes turns the unit on (or off), but sometimes doesn't. Also, one time when I turned it on, the TV screen was completely red for a few seconds and then turned black (no signal). Otherwise, the TV has been black at all times and for all inputs.

The only unusual event before this was in the morning. Listening to an often-played CD, the sound was sometimes scratchy in all speakers (this had never happened before, with this or any other CD) and when it was, the OVER light on the display flashed. After checking the manual, I hit the A.ATT button on the remote to turn on the input attenuator, and the scratchiness went away. We watched satellite TV and a DVD after this no problem. The issue occurred later in the day, when we turned it on after a few hours of inactivity.

I'd like to think otherwise, but I assume this is something only a technician can repair. Any thoughts or advice or possible techniques for jolting the unit back to life?

Sounds like this shouldn't be happening with a Flagship receiver. Have you tried finding out any other special ways Pioneer has besides unplugging to do a factory reset? Otherwise, if factory reset doesn't work, if it was me, I would just default to either returning it for a replacement or warranty repair. Man, sorry for the bad experience on such a high end component.

#1,795 ·
Ok, so I am 55 pages through the thread, and not quite caught up.

I cannot tell from the manual or from the thread if an sc-55 or 57 will support my scenario. Could someone chime in who's in the know?

Goal:

I will use the sc-55 as a primary in my great room - which has 5.1 setup. Cable box, dvd, and xbox via HDMI as sources.

I would like to have a 'zone 2' power 2 speakers in the kitchen. I would like to have a 'zone 3' power 2 speakers on the patio. THis appears manageable via diagram 'g' in the manual.

However - all I want to do is be able to output whatever signal is on the main zone in the other zones. Basically 'party mode' that Yamaha offers. The scenario is that we have a superbowl party and want to have the audio of the game going in all 3 zones...

Unfortunately, I think my reading tells me this is not possible. But I cannot imagine that is the case with this receiver?

Can someone help?

#1,796 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCruiser /forum/post/0

Ok, so I am 55 pages through the thread, and not quite caught up.

I cannot tell from the manual or from the thread if an sc-55 or 57 will support my scenario. Could someone chime in who's in the know?

Goal:

I will use the sc-55 as a primary in my great room - which has 5.1 setup. Cable box, dvd, and xbox via HDMI as sources.

I would like to have a 'zone 2' power 2 speakers in the kitchen. I would like to have a 'zone 3' power 2 speakers on the patio. THis appears manageable via diagram 'g' in the manual.

However - all I want to do is be able to output whatever signal is on the main zone in the other zones. Basically 'party mode' that Yamaha offers. The scenario is that we have a superbowl party and want to have the audio of the game going in all 3 zones...

Unfortunately, I think my reading tells me this is not possible. But I cannot imagine that is the case with this receiver?

Can someone help?

If the audio is coming thru hdmi, no

If you are streaming or playing thru the USB port, yes

I typically play using AirPlay or home media gallery in two zones

I have not tried optical or analog inputs, but believe that will work also

#1,797 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiejoe2 /forum/post/21430515

So, on paper, the big differences are 110 watts/channel (1121) vs. 140 watts/channel (SC-55), and 7.1 channels (1121) vs. 9.1 channels (SC-55). Now I'm sure the SC-55 has a few more airplay and DLAN networking features too.

I'm getting a set of 5 Infinity Primus 150 watt speakers and 2 floorstanding 200 watts for my 7.1 system, so I'm not sure whether the difference in sound (and extra zone capabilities) from the SC-55 will justify an extra $600.

I currently have a Pioneer VSX-516 and am upgrading to an HD compatible receiver for my new Mitsubishi WD-82740.

Either AVR will work for you. I would stay with the SC-55. You're looking at A/B amps (1121) versus the energy saving and better sounding Class D amps (SC-55).

#1,798 ·
I got my new SC-55 hooked up this past weekend. I also integrated a Velodyne SMS-1 for bass management at the same time. Here is a brief account of the process.

I bought the SC-55 to replace my Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver that I was using. I was interested in some of the new features that the Pioneer had, including the Class D amps, Airplay support, Sirius/XM online steaming capabilities, more sophisticated auto calibration, better video processing and THX Cinema mode.

I run a fairly straight forward setup with Definitive Technologies bipolar speakers (5.3). The front left and right channel have built in powered subs, as dose the large center channel. With the Yamaha I did not run seperate LFE feeds, but rather just had standard speaker wire and set to large.

I also run two speakers in Zone 2 (bedroom) and two speakers in Zone 3 (patio).

Since I was now integrating the SMS-1, I ran a single LFE cable from the SC-55 to the SMS-1. The SMS-1 supports up to 3 subs, so I then ran LFE cables from the SMS-1 to each of the front speakers (L, R, and center).

The additional HDMI inputs that the SC-55 had over the RX-V2700 meant I didn't need my HDMI switchbox anymore. I hooked up the Xbox 360, PS3, Sony Blu ray changer, Directv DVR, and Boxee Box via HDMI. The Wii hooked up through component, the Logitech squeezebox via RCA L/R (analogue so I can send to Zones 2 and 3), and the SMS-1 throught the composite video input (used for set up). I also ran the HDMI output to my Panasonic plasma and then fed an optical cable from the Panny back to the SC-55. I hooked up a Cat5E network cable as well.

With all the connections made I powered up. Initially I had some problems. Although I could see the onscreen menu's from the SC-55 on my plasma display, I couldn't get any other HDMI to connect properly (Directv, Boxee box). I was worried something was wrong with the HDMI switching in the receiver but after installed the app on my Android phone and trying again, all of a sudden the Directv signal click on and was displayed on the plasma. Weird, but it was late, so I just watch a bit of tv and went to bed.

The next morning I powered things up again and again couldn't get an HDMI signal to pass. Tried the phone app, but also no luck. I then tried installing the software on my laptop that came on the CD and went through the setup. It locked up in Firefox but worked fine in IE. This seemed to do the trick and I again had a signal and was able to get the HDMI devices to work.

After doing the Pioneer audio calibration, I then calibrated the SMS-1 using the quick set up.

That night I watched several Blurays - Mission Impossible I and II and Columbiana. I used mainly THX Cinema mode, but jumped around between modes a little. I also tried turning the "Loudness" setting on and off in the THX menu, as the recent review of a lower model Pioneer receiver in Home Theather magazine had the reviewer raving about this setting. I actually preferred it off but I was running the volume pretty high.

The Pioneer needs to be turned up higher to match the volume of the Yamaha. My friend who switch from a Yamaha to a Denon receiver had commented on the same thing at the time. Both the RX-V2700 and SC-55 are 140 watts per channel, but it did seem like the Yamaha was louder at similar volume settings. That being said, the overall the sound quality seems better on the SC-55. Not sure if it is simply that the calibration is better, but everything sounds crisper and cleaner. Dialogue is easier to understand. Explosions sounded good, but with the SMS-1 the subs sound much tighter. I am interested in trying something like U-571 to see how the depth charges sound or Master and Commander, which has some great audio with a lot of bass. Something like Transformers should also give it a good work out.

The SC-55 is running a lot cooler than the Yamaha. Some of this may be due to the fact I was running all my speakers set to LARGE with the Yamaha, but now I've switched to SMALL and pass the LFE signal on to the SMS-1 and subsequently to the powered subwoofers.

The SC-55 seems to be picky about the order I switch things on for the HDMI switching to work properly. Turning the receiver on first, followed by the HDMI source (eg. Directv DVR) and then finally the television seems to work best. Once I program my Harmony remote, I may need to program in some delays.

I tried Airplay briefly off on of my PC's. iTunes running on the PC immediately showed the SC-55 available and I simply selected it and it started playing. I tried to get Zone 2 to play as well but wasn't successful. I selected HMG for Zone 2 but initially had no audio. I tried again a little later and then it worked. Not sure what I did different but I may have had the volume too low the first time. However when I turned Zone 2 off, Airplay stopped playing on Zone 1 as well. Going back to the computer and stopping and restarting the stream fixed it. Not sure if this is a known issue, but will need to experiment some more.

I still have lots to try. I'm eager to see how the video processing. Right now I let my Panasonic Plasma handle any upconversion to 1080p. From what I've heard the processing on the SC-55 is very good and I may let it handle upconversion from non-1080p sources.

I do miss the front panel analogue inputs which I occasionally used to hook up the audio out on my Droid phone. I guess I could try the optional bluetooth adapter and use that to hook up the phone. Any experience with how the sound quality is that way?

Overall my initial experience is good. This receiver definitely packs a ton of features and it will take a while to explore them all. Sound quality, coupled together with the Velodyne SMS-1, is excellent. The HDMI switching seems a bit finicky (ie. what order equipment is turned on) but as long as it works consistently I can live with it. I'll post some follow up comments after I've lived with it for a while.

#1,799 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintypes /forum/post/21430438

the suggestion to do a reset (look in the manual) is a good one

you might also try running full auto MCACC and see if any sound comes out

#1,800 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter /forum/post/21435198

However when I turned Zone 2 off, Airplay stopped playing on Zone 1 as well. Going back to the computer and stopping and restarting the stream fixed it. Not sure if this is a known issue, but will need to experiment some more.

I do miss the front panel analogue inputs which I occasionally used to hook up the audio out on my Droid phone. I guess I could try the optional bluetooth adapter and use that to hook up the phone. Any experience with how the sound quality is that way?

i'll have to check again but in my experience, turning off zone 2 in airplay does not shut it off in the main zone or from the source

using the remote for zone control can be very confusing, you should download the icontrolav2 app for your android phone as that makes zone control very straight forward

also, you should be able to stream music via wifi from your phone to the SC-57 using DLNA so you don't need blue tooth, of course, that assumes your phone has wifi

#1,801 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd /forum/post/21435290

i'll have to check again but in my experience, turning off zone 2 in airplay does not shut it off in the main zone or from the source

using the remote for zone control can be very confusing, you should download the icontrolav2 app for your android phone as that makes zone control very straight forward

I only played with the Airplay a little bit, so maybe it was a fluke that it turned off. I did try the icontrolav2 app, and I agree that it makes things a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd /forum/post/21435290

also, you should be able to stream music via wifi from your phone to the SC-57 using DLNA so you don't need blue tooth, of course, that assumes your phone has wifi

To stream the music off the Android phone - is there a specific app I need on the phone to set it up as a DLNA server? This would also assume I have the mp3's files on my phone itself.

I'm using mainly the Amazon mp3 cloud app as well as Spotify when I play music on the phone - any idea if these would work over Wifi or Bluetooth.

My phone is a Droid Charge - so it was Wifi and Bluetooth.

#1,802 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter /forum/post/21436471

I only played with the Airplay a little bit, so maybe it was a fluke that it turned off. I did try the icontrolav2 app, and I agree that it makes things a lot easier.

To stream the music off the Android phone - is there a specific app I need on the phone to set it up as a DLNA server? This would also assume I have the mp3's files on my phone itself.

I'm using mainly the Amazon mp3 cloud app as well as Spotify when I play music on the phone - any idea if these would work over Wifi or Bluetooth.

My phone is a Droid Charge - so it was Wifi and Bluetooth.

yes, you need an app for your phone you will have to do a search for it - i am not an android expert - "dlna android app" pops up quite a few

i know spotify on ios devices you can stream from wifi to the receiver over airplay - if you subscribe

i am guessing someone has figured out how to reroute sound in android to a dlna player

if you have a dlna server on your network, you can also use your phone as the remote to send stuff from the server to the receiver

or you can get an rca to 3.5mm stereo cable and plug it into the back of the receiver and just leave the 3.5mm jack sitting out to the side

#1,803 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd /forum/post/21436546

yes, you need an app for your phone you will have to do a search for it - i am not an android expert - "dlna android app" pops up quite a few

i know spotify on ios devices you can stream from wifi to the receiver over airplay - if you subscribe

i am guessing someone has figured out how to reroute sound in android to a dlna player

if you have a dlna server on your network, you can also use your phone as the remote to send stuff from the server to the receiver

Thanks. I will investigate. Sounds like a lot of good (ie. fun) options to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd /forum/post/21436546

or you can get an rca to 3.5mm stereo cable and plug it into the back of the receiver and just leave the 3.5mm jack sitting out to the side

Lol... yep - that would be the easiest solution but the least fun...

#1,804 ·
I'd like to set up my SC-55 for bi-amping my B&W CM9s. I am aware that there is some debate over wether or not this is worth the effort, but I would like hear for myself. With this in mind, the documentation I've read (one of which is the Pioneer wiring navi tool in the AV Navigator app) says to simply use the front and front height channels. However, it does not clearly state which channel would be connected to which pair of binding posts. Does it matter? Thanks in advance for the help!