Official NAD T 757 AV Upgradeable Surround Sound Receiver Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #271 of 286 Old 10-04-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I just setup a NAD T 758 and I am having an issue with Audyssey. The front left speakers distance and crossover are WAY off, even when I have the right speaker playing during the left speaker test. I have swapped speakers, moved the mic around, reset the receiver and nothing I do helps. The first time I ran Audyssey everything was fine but I decided to move the speakers around and run it again, now it is consistently off. I want to try to reapply the 1.44 firmware but I can't find a download of it anywhere. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 286 Old 10-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Firmware update tool

Firmware update tool for TXX7 and T758: www . fluii.dk/TXX7_T758_upgrade_17_20140402.zip

Use at your own risk!

(remove space in link, because i'm not able to post real link)
nakkiran likes this.
post #273 of 286 Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluii View Post
Firmware update tool for TXX7 and T758: www . fluii.dk/TXX7_T758_upgrade_17_20140402.zip

Use at your own risk!

Thanks! Much appreciated.
post #274 of 286 Old 11-26-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I just picked up a new (factory refurbished) T758 yesterday and read through this thread. Interesting stuff, for sure.

When I installed my new unit, I set it up as 5.1 and the rear surround channels to bi-amp the L-R mains. The speakers were all set to small and crossover level to 80Hz. O then ran the basic Audessey that it comes with and checked the results. It nailed the speakers as all within +/- 1dB, except the sub which is up @ +7. I manually knocked it back to +3dB because it did seem a little over the top.

Now with having gone thru that and in consideration of the unit coming from an authorized NAD dealer in a sealed, factory-packed box with all the bits & bobs in the plastic baggies, should I be concerned about a firmware version? This thing sounds GREAT, and a noticeably warmer yet accurate and clear sound profile than the Anthem MXR510 I'd auditioned the day before. Absolutely better than my outgoing Denon AVR-1912 in every way, sonically. Very happy.

How does one check the firmware version loaded, and is the RS-232 port the only way to update if it's not current?
post #275 of 286 Old 01-12-2016, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluii View Post
Use at your own risk!

Did the update on my 757v2 yesterday: the Main and Video firmware were outdated, while the DSP was the same version.

After the update was successful, I did a hard reset as recommended.

I then proceeded to re-do the setup, which is a real PITA, and noticed straight away that based on the different presets, the volume level indicator is at a different position. For example, on my 5.1 present, the volume at -44dB is around the middle, but on my stereo-only preset, this is around 1/3 of the indicator bar. I'm fairly sure this was not the case before.

HDMI switching also appears to be a bit more elegant, previously there used to be momentary green screen when switching my set-top box on & off, this does not happen any more.

Power on with my Samsung remote also does not work (someone posted it would), maybe I should re-do the remote control setup on the TV to see if it works.

feedback from anyone else on this update?

Setup: NAD T757v2, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Last edited by nakkiran; 01-12-2016 at 01:42 AM.
post #276 of 286 Old 01-13-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
When I installed my new unit, I set it up as 5.1 and the rear surround channels to bi-amp the L-R mains.

Ken, please will you detail how you did this, thanks.

Setup: NAD T757v2, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub
post #277 of 286 Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It's in the owner's manual. I don't recall much of the details but it's simple from the main on-screen menu. You go into the section for "Amplifier Setup" and there's a toggle for selecting three possible options, "Main Back" for rear surround duties (default), "Main Front (Bi-Amp)" or "Zone 2".

Choose Main Front and hook up the wires from rear surround to the other set of terminals on you speakers, pay close attention to how your PSB speakers want the jumper arranged or removed.

If at all worried you might screw something up, don't bother. It's really no worthwhile advantage. A separate, more powerful power amp for the front mains and using the preouts from the receiver is far more effective.
nakkiran likes this.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #278 of 286 Old 01-13-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
It's in the owner's manual. I don't recall much of the details but it's simple from the main on-screen menu. You go into the section for "Amplifier Setup" and there's a toggle for selecting three possible options, "Main Back" for rear surround duties (default), "Main Front (Bi-Amp)" or "Zone 2".
Choose Main Front and hook up the wires from rear surround to the other set of terminals on you speakers, pay close attention to how your PSB speakers want the jumper arranged or removed.
If at all worried you might screw something up, don't bother. It's really no worthwhile advantage. A separate, more powerful power amp for the front mains and using the preouts from the receiver is far more effective.

Yep, setting the amp is the easy part, wiring up the speakers is what I was not too clear about. However, I found a nice explanation on YouTube courtesy of Onkyo, so that's sorted.

Are you saying it makes no difference to the sound? What about the amp efficiency? My thinking is that by using 2 amps to power the speakers, the AVR will be under less 'strain'?

post #279 of 286 Old 01-13-2016, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
Yep, setting the amp is the easy part, wiring up the speakers is what I was not too clear about. However, I found a nice explanation on YouTube courtesy of Onkyo, so that's sorted.

Are you saying it makes no difference to the sound? What about the amp efficiency? My thinking is that by using 2 amps to power the speakers, the AVR will be under less 'strain'?

You'd be using more of the total available power of the NAD receiver to bi-amp, and where you need more power the most (high volumes) you can't magically get more watts than the receiver can give now.

Yes, definitely a second amp takes the load of the most demanding speakers in a 5.1 system (or most any), the main front pair. That would allow your remaining speakers to go just a wee bit louder or the receiver to run just a little cooler.
nakkiran likes this.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #280 of 286 Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 AM

Got a new PSB Image C5 centre speaker and also got AudioQuest cables. Spent the day re-wiring and adding banana plugs. I also bi-amped the fronts.

C5 turned out to be too heavy for the glass shelf, so I had to move the PS3 up and the AVR to the right. This is temporary until my new AV stand is built.

post #281 of 286 Old 02-02-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
Power on with my Samsung remote also does not work (someone posted it would), maybe I should re-do the remote control setup on the TV to see if it works.

happy to report that Power ON now works for the AVR after re-doing the ARC setup on my TV

post #282 of 286 Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a pretty setup. With the PSB speakers being rear ported, is it an issue being right up against a wall or do you have the ports plugged?

I have my KEF R500 speaker setup as bi-amped from my T758 and can tell you it makes very little to no difference. Perhaps when I listen in 2.1 I can get just a little more out of the highest volumes and avoid protection mode, but clearly there's more marketing hype to this than substance. I know if I simply want more power to the front mains the right approach is using the pre-outs of the receiver to a 150w or better amp.

post #283 of 286 Old 02-02-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty setup. With the PSB speakers being rear ported, is it an issue being right up against a wall or do you have the ports plugged?

TBH, I haven't tried playing with the port plugs, although I know I should, because the confined space can make the bass very 'boomy'.

On some music, the bass sounds very punchy/boomy instead of smooth, in which case I switch to a preset of F+R+sub crossed over 60Hz, and that seems to do the trick. I guess that really depends on the quality of the recording - some stuff from HDtracks plays amazingly well just as F+R.

I really love the flexibility of the NAD AVR: being able to switch speaker presets on the fly is a great feature!

you are quite right about the bi-amping, I haven't really noticed a difference. The cables & banana plugs did make a small improvement.

post #284 of 286 Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am not sure I am in the right forum. I want to upgrade my t757 to make it 4K compatible. Which VM should I get?
post #285 of 286 Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 PM

I contacted NAD about the 4k module for the T758 and they said it is not available and will be out "soon". I'm not sure if that applies to the T757 as well.
post #286 of 286 Old 03-25-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it would apply to the T758 and T757. And when NAD says soon, you can bet that means "whenever we feel up to it" and not a moment sooner.

They indicated to the dealer I bought my T758 from (Spearit Sound) that it would be in spring 2016, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it or hold my breath waiting. Rather, it should be right around the same time the new 8K TV's start shipping for the masses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page