AVS Forum banner

Official NAD T 757 AV Upgradeable Surround Sound Receiver Thread

Tags
nad
94K views 348 replies 79 participants last post by  toddsdonald 
#1 ·
I'm excited about the release of this new receiver and hoping to get owners' input on their experiences. One of its most notable features at its price point is the ability to essentially swap out the preamp as new technology arrives, e.g. HDMI 1.5 or 2.0.

As is customary with NAD, they disclose power output with all channels driven simultaneously, unlike most manufacturers. So you have to mentally "bump up" their figures to compare with a Denon or an Onkyo.

One notable omission I believe is Audyssey technology in the form of MultEQ flavors, Dynamic EQ, or Dynamic Volume -- someone please verify.

Here are some specs:

AMPLIFIER SECTION T 757

FTC 7 x 120W

Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously) 7 x 60W (0.05% THD, 20-20kHz)

IHF Dynamic Power 8 ohms

4 ohms

137W

243W

Total Harmonic Distortion at rated power 100dB (ref. rated power at 8 ohms, A-WTD)

>90dB (ref. 1W at 8ohms, A-WTD)
TUNER SECTION

AM SECTION

Tuning Range 530kHz - 1710kHz (120V version, 10kHz steps)

531kHz - 1620kHz (230V version, 9kHz steps)

Usable Sensitivity 30dBμV

Signal/Noise Ratio 38dB

Total Harmonic Distortion

See less See more
#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobaffum /forum/post/21660039

The pictures I've seen of the back of the 757 indicate it already has the AM200 yet it clearly does not have MultiEQ XT. I always wondered if adding that module to the 765 would upgrade the Audyssey.

The T 757 has the AM100 and the VM100 modules, not the AM200. I have seen those pics to, so needless to say I was a little pissed when I checked the back of mine and it was the AM100. Probably one of those "specifications subject to change" you sometimes see on a manufacturers website. Anyway I plan on getting rid of my NAD T 757 as I feel it is an overpriced $900 av receiver. First and Last time I ever buy a NAD product.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk akk /forum/post/21665966

The T 757 has the AM100 and the VM100 modules, not the AM200. I have seen those pics to, so needless to say I was a little pissed when I checked the back of mine and it was the AM100. Probably one of those "specifications subject to change" you sometimes see on a manufacturers website. Anyway I plan on getting rid of my NAD T 757 as I feel it is an overpriced $900 av receiver. First and Last time I ever buy a NAD product.

So you are going to get rid of it because you did not like the sound of it or because you thought it had AM200 and it does not. Just curious because a lot of people were paying that much for its predecessor the T747 and it did not have any of these features either and it did not have MDC either. Also, the MSRP for the T757 is more like $1500, unless the price has already been reduced that much - which is doubtful.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/21666040

So you are going to get rid of it because you did not like the sound of it or because you thought it had AM200 and it does not. Just curious because a lot of people were paying that much for its predecessor the T747 and it did not have any of these features either and it did not have MDC either. Also, the MSRP for the T757 is more like $1500, unless the price has already been reduced that much - which is doubtful.

I know the price is around $1,500, I paid $1,499 for mine. For the lack of features it is really overpriced, hence why I said it is a $900 av receiver. ie. no surround like hall, theater, cinema etc.. you would find on other av receivers. And yes I don't think the sound quality is outstanding on this receiver for the price you pay. Over time, listening to this, not for me.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk akk /forum/post/21668338

I know the price is around $1,500, I paid $1,499 for mine. For the lack of features it is really overpriced, hence why I said it is a $900 av receiver. ie. no surround like hall, theater, cinema etc.. you would find on other av receivers. And yes I don't think the sound quality is outstanding on this receiver for the price you pay. Over time, listening to this, not for me.

Well, I paid $1299 for a T775HD and love it. I think it is well worth the price since I paid $1000 for a HK AVR 7550HD and was not too thrilled with it. Sure the HK had more features such as internet radio, video scaler, etc, but for pure music quality I preferred the NAD. I would agree with you that $1499 is a little steep for the T757. NAD targets people that don't care about DSP effects. If you value that, Yamaha might suit you more. I personally could care less about those effects.

#32 ·
I own the T757 for about 4 weeks now. Sound is really great. There is one major issue with using digital in ; I make use of a logitech squeezebox to stream mp3/flac from my NAS. Logitech is attached through optical link to my NAD.

Problem ; MP3 starts a fraction to late, same with FLAC although the time interval seems to be slightly less. The same problem occurs with coaxial. The problem disappears when connecting through regular RCA.

I called my dealer and they had not heard of this issue before. I am sure the problem is with the T757 , I have ran MP3 files from my NAD C545BEE (which plays mp3 audio as well), the problem is the same audio starts too late.

I have logged this issue at the NAD support forum, so far without a response.

Any other people having the same issue and found a solution ? I use firmware V1.32 on the NAD.

Best regards,

Jeroen

Netherlands

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo_NL /forum/post/21755289

I own the T757 for about 4 weeks now. Sound is really great. There is one major issue with using digital in ; I make use of a logitech squeezebox to stream mp3/flac from my NAS. Logitech is attached through optical link to my NAD.

Problem ; MP3 starts a fraction to late, same with FLAC although the time interval seems to be slightly less. The same problem occurs with coaxial. The problem disappears when connecting through regular RCA.

I called my dealer and they had not heard of this issue before. I am sure the problem is with the T757 , I have ran MP3 files from my NAD C545BEE (which plays mp3 audio as well), the problem is the same audio starts too late.

I have logged this issue at the NAD support forum, so far without a response.

Any other people having the same issue and found a solution ? I use firmware V1.32 on the NAD.

Best regards,

Jeroen

Netherlands

I had the same issue with my NAD T775HD. A firmware update finally fixed it. I am running 1.34 firmware version. I am not sure if there is a firmware update for the 757. Call NAD.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4soundadvice /forum/post/21805345

Yes as well as a different HDMI input.

I spoke to a NAD tech today he thinks the 3 year old Sharp 52" it's connected to could be messing things up. Not so sure?

Your thoughts....

Well if the drop outs are very predictable, then let it play, and turn off the TV or pull the HDMI cable out of the TV. The receiver should continue playing the sound. If it still drops out, then it is not your TV.

#40 ·
Thanks for updates. I am in contact with NAD support. I find their response rate fairly slow (have been communicating with them since late feb...)

So far they have not responded yet with a resolution.

Great to hear that a firmware update resolved the T775 model, this gives hope for the 757.

#42 ·
Hi everyone,

was looking at replacing my Anthem MRX 500 with this NAD T 757 AVR so I was reading some of the reviews on it. Came across this Home Theater Review review and this paragraph stood out.

Quote:
When using HDMI for two channel audio signals, specifically those coming from my AppleTV, there was a slight delay that preceded every track resulting in a half second of silence, which was kind of annoying. This silence was not heard while watching Blu-ray discs nor when watching broadcast HD content leading me to wonder about its cause. When I connected my AppleTV to the T 757 via a pair of analog interconnects coming from my outboard DAC, the delay ceased.

this is exactly the same problem I am having with my Anthem MRX-500 although it affects all digital signal inputs (HDMI, optical or coaxial) from my Oppo BDP-83, Sony PlayStation3 and Apple TV.

Since it looks like NAD has a similar problem I don't want to trade one problem for another similar.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet in a firmware upgrade?

Thanks!

Tony

#43 ·
I'm swapping my T757 for yet another one today!

I started with two T747s that had issues, then upgraded to a 757 and this latter one became posessed a few days ago. The sound would fluctuate on it's own: at first it was shooting instantly to 0 and I'd use the remote to try to bring it back to normal, but it seemed to be fighting it. Then the total opposite happened and it shot right to the max and I had to run to the amp and unplug it urgently so it wouldn't blow my speakers!

This is my last chance. If the next one gives me grief I'm switching to another brand, most likely Onkyo.

Anyone else experience the same?

#244 · (Edited)
T757 volume problem

I'm swapping my T757 for yet another one today!

I started with two T747s that had issues, then upgraded to a 757 and this latter one became posessed a few days ago. The sound would fluctuate on it's own: at first it was shooting instantly to 0 and I'd use the remote to try to bring it back to normal, but it seemed to be fighting it. Then the total opposite happened and it shot right to the max and I had to run to the amp and unplug it urgently so it wouldn't blow my speakers!

This is my last chance. If the next one gives me grief I'm switching to another brand, most likely Onkyo.

Anyone else experience the same?
YES!
It is really annoying, have you got this solved? I have got a more recent version of firmware, which i thought solved the problem, but yesterday it was back again...

Warranty expires in a week too :/ Version 1.39 is installed and i read that 1.40 does not solve the problem either...

From a technician in Stockholm, i got the info that you should also exchange volume control. Has ayone of you got that done?

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk akk /forum/post/21161125

Hello,

Just wanted to say that I have owned the NAD T 757 for about a month. First though, I wanted to say that my previous AVR was a Harmon Kardon AVR135 rated at 40 watts per channel, 50 watts into 2 channels. rated at plus/minus 25 amps (amperes). I had used the HK since 2005 and was happy with the warm sound it produced and the good bass. No HDMI output so optical and composite were used. It is always a risk when you move from a brand you like to one you are not that familiar with but have heard good reviews about. Moving onto the NAD:

Retails for about $1,600 but got it for $1,499. My first impression after hooking it up compared to my HK was the decrease in bass. I know it is rated at 60 watts continuous per channel but for the big price this was a big disappointment. I did audition the 747 at a stereo store as they had not set up the 757 yet. Sounded good but every set up is different. Besides the bass the overall quality of sound on the NAD is very good, again not as warm as my HK, but I did have the treble in the menu cranked all the way so assuming that I lowered it, would not be as bright. Bass was cranked all the way up in the NAD menu. I used Terminator Salvation on blu ray to compare the sound with my HK which produced good bass, not so on the NAD. Overall sound quality was more defined, detailed and cleaner with the NAD. Music again lacking in bass on the NAD but the sound was more defined, detailed and clean with the NAD compared to my HK. I am not an expert, so this is just my opinion. Overall I would give the nad 3.5 to 4 out of 5. I have seen an online review give it 4 out of 5 but the lack of bass dropped my rating, otherwise a five. Good tight solid bass is important to me so I have ordered a power amplifer to hook up to the NAD, to hopefully do the trick. If you don't use or have a power amplifier and buy the NAD T 757 I would definitely recommend you use a sub with it.

Akk akk i can second that , i just got a second hand nad t747,its not the lack of bass what you hear.its the lack of deep bass ,i feel the same way you do , the bass the nad produces is too fast, doesnt remain with you ,doesnt create that deep atmosphere .The same thing goes for a sub woofer with movies , i guess it has to do with the nads internal eq .

I think you should use the auto calibration to get the eq right for your speakers.

i doubt adding more power will improve bass it has do more with the way nad is doing the sound processing .My sub was at max volume but still it had that same flat bass.

try using a source that has good built in equalization like a dac and use analog inputs on the nad.

#45 ·
I have heard the NAD T757 against $2600 Rotel receiver, Pioneer Elite and a 5 or 7 channel Rotel amp.

The T757 had better sound stage then all. The NAD was for sure not lacking in bass at all. The NAD had more open wide sound then the others.

If the NAD had any features and a better GUI I'd possibly buy one.

In my opinion I think all high priced receivers and processors kinda suck. No features. They all fall flat on their faces I think. But darn the sound is somewhat better.

I'm needing a new receiver to replace my Yamaha Aventage rxa3000 but no idea what to do since nothing other then another Yamaha x10 model has the features I want. But I don't want another Yamaha. Grr.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti /forum/post/0

i'm really confused.... would the whole bass topic being discussed above matter if someone had a nice really nice subwoofer like the SVS PC12 NSD ?

I think no. However it might only if there were 2 receivers and one had better stronger bass then the other. With sub of course. But I really don't think the T757 has any issues. At least not the one I heard and tone control was off/flat.

But with no features I don't think this receiver should even be considered unless one doesn't want any features and wants to be totally and completely ripped off.

#49 ·

Quote:

what features do you really need in an AVR...!? Also could you share why you want to change from the Yamaha A3000 ?

I'm currently confused between the T757, Yamaha A3010 & Pioneer SC-57.

Hi.

Directv has an HDMI handshake problem in their dvr firmware. My Yamaha a3000 GUI was all screwed because of the problem in the directv dvr. So I decided to get a new receiver since our integra dtr40.3 did not have an issue. Plus I was just bored and wanted something new that's all. The rxa3000 did pretty much everything I wanted. That is have scenes for one button push to saved settings. I put my center speaker next to my bed when I go to bed every time I go to bed. I turn down every channel level to lowest which is -12 in the Yamaha. -12 or -10. I turn up the center to max which again is +12 or +10. I manually shut off the power to my SVS pc12+ 525 watt sub. Sound is pro logic 2 movie. This way I don't hear any sub, no surround speakers, no front left and right. I only hear center next to my bed. Th. just relax, rest and listen t either live tv or a recorded movie. I listen maybe 30 minutes to an hr or so and then shut off the receiver to try to sleep. I do this every time I go to bed. The Amaha channel level is great. The remote has a button called level. You push it and p pops the left channel level. Then I just hit the left arrow to lower it to lowest number. I then do the same for center, only raise it, right lower, surr r lower, surr left lower. I listen to a movie quietly to help calm me down and relax me. Since I do this same routine every time I go to bed, I wanted to be ale to save this set up then push one button to enable it when I go to bed. Then when I wake up I will push one button for the normal setting which is for awake time lol. The NADT757 has pre sets which I was told can do this. However the NAD doesn't network, no Internet radio, no firmware update via the network, no streaming music from a server, low end audyssey, no overlay GUI. And. Others too. Oh yeah, when changing the channel level on the Yamaha, it doesn't play the stupid loud white noise. It just changes the vol level for each channel not touching the audio your listening to. I like this so I dont bother my parents at night when I do this.

The NAD and I believe all NADS don't have any features really. No AirPlay etc.

Ok, here's my thoughts on your choices. This is only my opinion.

Please do to get Pioneer. The GUI is horrid. Kinda ugly and you can't do everything with it that you should be able to. You must have an iOS device and Pioneer free app. That's the on,y way to fully control the Pioneers. This is inexcusable and pisses me off about Pioneer. Bought the 53 in April and couldn't do anything in the GUI unless the receiver was networked and I had their iOS app. I could not have any LAN cable there and the pioneer wifi adapter thing is a rip off. So. Couldn't even fully set up the receiver. Screw Pioneer for this in my opinion.

Got the Arcam AVR360 a few days ago. I could not do a few pbasic necessary things so I took it back and bought the Marantz SR7005 which does better for features etc then the Arcam and NAD. The sound from the Marantz is slightly better then the Yamaha rxa3000 I used to have. Tiny bit more bright and not harsh. But it doesn't have all the features I want, the Yamaha did and so do the new 10 models from last year. But no one here had the new 10 models.

If it was me I'd get the Yamaha for features and it will sound fine/good I have no doubt. The NAD T757 should sound the best of all 3 but also it's personal preference. I liked the sound overall of the vsx53 pioneer but hated the lack of any useful onscreen GUI.

#50 ·
I appreciate the detailed reply, it shows your passion and commitment to HT...

But I'm not a power user at all. Infact I only get to use my HT setup once a week for a movie. I ve setup my HT in a separate room and hence only get to use my AVR/Projector/Speakers/Sub once a week.

My bedroom has my TV setup and my stereo setup.

So what I'm trying to say is I don't really need all the features which are very important and essential to a power user like yourself & others.

What I do care about the most is "Sound Quality"....! When i do watch that one movie a week it should sound "Awesome".

So since you seem to have heard/demoed quite a few AVRs, which seems the better to you as far as "Sound Quality" goes between the T757 vs. Pioneer SC57....!?

#51 ·

Quote:

I appreciate the detailed reply, it shows your passion and commitment to HT...

But I'm not a power user at all. Infact I only get to use my HT setup once a week for a movie. I ve setup my HT in a separate room and hence only get to use my AVR/Projector/Speakers/Sub once a week.

My bedroom has my TV setup and my stereo setup.

So what I'm trying to say is I don't really need all the features which are very important and essential to a power user like yourself & others.

What I do care about the most is "Sound Quality"....! When i do watch that one movie a week it should sound "Awesome".

So since you seem to have heard/demoed quite a few AVRs, which seems the better to you as far as "Sound Quality" goes between the T757 vs. Pioneer SC57....!?

The NAD T757 will for sure sound the best. No doubt. I've heard the T757 against a Pioneer Elite receiver, maybe the 55 or 57, I forget, the NAD was noticeably better. Wider more open soundstage. Bass was certainly not lacking at all. It was quite a good receiver. If I didn't want certain features I would have gotten the NAD T757 in a heart beat. I even thought about it while researching. I was thinking if I could make do with it or if I would really miss the features I want. So I decided I can't really sacrifice the features I want and be ok with that. So when I pay off my Marantz and can get a new receiver I'll get a Yamaha Aventage and then move the Marantz upstairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.