AVS Forum banner

Official NAD T 757 AV Upgradeable Surround Sound Receiver Thread

Tags
nad
94K views 348 replies 79 participants last post by  toddsdonald 
#1 ·
I'm excited about the release of this new receiver and hoping to get owners' input on their experiences. One of its most notable features at its price point is the ability to essentially swap out the preamp as new technology arrives, e.g. HDMI 1.5 or 2.0.

As is customary with NAD, they disclose power output with all channels driven simultaneously, unlike most manufacturers. So you have to mentally "bump up" their figures to compare with a Denon or an Onkyo.

One notable omission I believe is Audyssey technology in the form of MultEQ flavors, Dynamic EQ, or Dynamic Volume -- someone please verify.

Here are some specs:

AMPLIFIER SECTION T 757

FTC 7 x 120W

Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously) 7 x 60W (0.05% THD, 20-20kHz)

IHF Dynamic Power 8 ohms

4 ohms

137W

243W

Total Harmonic Distortion at rated power 100dB (ref. rated power at 8 ohms, A-WTD)

>90dB (ref. 1W at 8ohms, A-WTD)
TUNER SECTION

AM SECTION

Tuning Range 530kHz - 1710kHz (120V version, 10kHz steps)

531kHz - 1620kHz (230V version, 9kHz steps)

Usable Sensitivity 30dBμV

Signal/Noise Ratio 38dB

Total Harmonic Distortion

See less See more
#53 ·
So, I want to do a NAD/PSB 5.1+2.0 combo for my HT & Stereo needs.

Option 1. T757 with PSB Image 5.1 + PSB Synchrony 2B ( Stereo )

Option 2. T757 with PSB Image 5.1 + C375BEE & PSB Synchrony 2B

Do i really need to spend extra on the C375BEE for stereo or should i use the 2 channels left in the T757 for stereo use after assigning 5.1 to the HT....?

How does the T757 compare to the C375BEE in stereo performance ? Would it be at similar level or is the T757 more in league of the C356BEE in regards to Stereo performance ?

Where does the stereo performance of the T757 stand as compared to the NAD Stereo Amplifier lineup ?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/30#post_22110423

So, I want to do a NAD/PSB 5.1+2.0 combo for my HT & Stereo needs.

Option 2. T757 with PSB Image 5.1 + C375BEE & PSB Synchrony 2B

Do i really need to spend extra on the C375BEE for stereo or should i use the 2 channels left in the T757 for stereo use after assigning 5.1 to the HT....?

How does the T757 compare to the C375BEE in stereo performance ? Would it be at similar level or is the T757 more in league of the C356BEE in regards to Stereo performance ?

Where does the stereo performance of the T757 stand as compared to the NAD Stereo Amplifier lineup ?

What's this C375BEE?

The T757 I heard was in 2 channel stereo only and rocked compared to any other amp/receiver in the room even though some of the others cost much more. I think their amps would be similar except I don't remember if NAD has a 2 channel amp. I only know for sure they have a 7 channel amp. I mean current.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/30#post_22110601

C375BEE is one of their stereo amps...
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-375BEE-Integrated-Amplifier

i can use 5.1 from the T757 for my Image 5.1 and use the remaining 2 channel to power the PSB Snynchrony 2B or else i can i buy a C375 separately... i'm confused.

Ya I saw that about 1 minute after I posted what's that, lol.

Boy I like how NAD looks.

I honestly don't have a clue if it would be better to get both of them. I think the T757 would do awesome for 5.1 and the 2.0 you want. But, if possible, demo them both with the 757 in 2 channel mode. If not possible then maybe try the 757 and get the integrated amp if the 757 is lacking at all.

#57 ·
I've got the T 757 and the 375 Bee. Using the 375 Bee for my two fronts as well as music and the T 757 for center and surround for HT has worked well. The sound is great. I previously had the Integra DHC 40.1 with all the features. Found out I didn't need them as my Squeezebox Touch, XBox and Panny BDP 60 provided all the networking I required. I had been running a separate 5 channel amp but it's also not needed as both NADs provide all the required power in a rather large listening room.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkins  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/30#post_22141711

I've got the T 757 and the 375 Bee. Using the 375 Bee for my two fronts as well as music and the T 757 for center and surround for HT has worked well. The sound is great. I previously had the Integra DHC 40.1 with all the features. Found out I didn't need them as my Squeezebox Touch, XBox and Panny BDP 60 provided all the networking I required. I had been running a separate 5 channel amp but it's also not needed as both NADs provide all the required power in a rather large listening room.

Could you share the difference in stereo performance between the 375BEE vs. T757 ? Is there a huge difference or are they comparable/close in performance to each other...?

#59 ·
I've never compared but have been thinking about it. I love the 375Bee and can say I've never had better musical sound from a receiver or 2 channel amp. It really is so good that I can't imagine a multi channel AVR being close, even NAD. Now the HT sound is so good on the T757 I'm thinking about doing a comparison. Talk about a win win.

#60 ·
hi twilkins,

i will be looking forward to your views on the comparison in stereo performance between the 375BEE vs. T757...!

this is my situation...

I want to do a NAD/PSB 5.1 + 2.0 combo for my HT & Stereo needs.

Option 2. T757 with PSB Image 5.1 + C375BEE & PSB Synchrony 2B ( Stereo )

How does the T757 compare to the C375BEE in stereo performance ? Would it be at similar level or is the T757 more in league of the C356BEE or C326BEE in regards to Stereo performance ?

Where does the "Stereo Performance" of the T757 stand as compared to the NAD Stereo Amplifier lineup ?

your findings will help me a lot....

Thanks & Regards,

Rana.

#61 ·
Update regarding Delay issues with digital music formats through Digital in ;

NAD customer support has been fairly good in keeping me up to date. It seems to take a very long

time but they informed me recently that they are beta testing a firmware update that should address this

issue.

Let's hope they manage to fix it.

Besides the delay issue, I am very happy with the sound quality of this unit.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo_NL  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/60#post_22235425

Update regarding Delay issues with digital music formats through Digital in ;

NAD customer support has been fairly good in keeping me up to date. It seems to take a very long

time but they informed me recently that they are beta testing a firmware update that should address this

issue.

Let's hope they manage to fix it.

Besides the delay issue, I am very happy with the sound quality of this unit.

I have the same delay problems with spdif from my TV.

Have you fixed the problem?

#63 ·
I have received a beta firmware update for the T757 from NAD. It has resolved the issue for about 99.9% (meaning you will not hear it unless you start lookin for it, but this might be the case with many devices). MP3 / FLAC connected through optical now work fine. I have not detected any issues with HDMI either (although I have not tested it prior to the update). Not sure about spdif, I would report the issue to NAD Customer Support and inquire whether the beta firmware that is being tested might resolve it.

I have given my feedback to NAD so assume they will publish an official update in the near future.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheg  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/30#post_22020143

I'm swapping my T757 for yet another one today!

I started with two T747s that had issues, then upgraded to a 757 and this latter one became posessed a few days ago. The sound would fluctuate on it's own: at first it was shooting instantly to 0 and I'd use the remote to try to bring it back to normal, but it seemed to be fighting it. Then the total opposite happened and it shot right to the max and I had to run to the amp and unplug it urgently so it wouldn't blow my speakers!

This is my last chance. If the next one gives me grief I'm switching to another brand, most likely Onkyo.

Anyone else experience the same?

Mine started doing this today, I've only had it a few weeks.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackytiger  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/60#post_22391468

Mine started doing this today, I've only had it a few weeks.
I have a 775 and it was doing this for two days last week. It's been ok since. I would suggest to give NAD a call because they said it was the first they heard of this issue. I know in the 775/785 thread a couple of people mentioned it also. NAD suggested a power cycle and if that doesn't work a factory reset. Luckily I didn't need to do a factory reset because it seems to have resolved itself, for now.

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/60#post_22391494

I would suggest to give NAD a call because they said it was the first they heard of this issue.

I've just registered on their site and posted a support question. Hopefully they'll have heard of the issue this time

Glad to hear yours has stopped troubling you for the time being.

Once it started it was doing it every few minutes, pretty depressing (especially when it jumped to +12db). I gave up in the end and did something else.

Edit: Well that was a waste of time. For the record: NAD will only answer technical questions from US citizens on their web site, and they'll take two days to tell you this.

#67 ·
I got my faulty T757 replaced with a new one yesterday.

I was pretty surprised when my Sony TV said an external amp had been connected when I first switched it on, first time I've seen that.

It turns out the new one supports HDMI Audio Return Channel and Consumer Electronic Control.

There's also a new HDMI item in the setup menu.

Haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but pretty happy so far.

#68 ·
I've been thinking about picking up the NAD T 757 (I can get one around $900), but I'm looking for opinions. I'm looking for a new receiver for two main purposes. One is to add HDMI connectivity in order to natively be able to process the new audio formats, and second is that my Rotel is developing some quirky volume control issues.

In the interest of full disclosure, here is my current setup.

Rotel RSX-1056 receiver (non HDMI), and Rotel RB1080 amp (200 watt per channel)

Direct TV HR34 HMC

Pioneer ELite bdp-51fd blu ray, Toshiba HD-DVD player (I use for regular DVD's)

Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma TV

Rega Turntable

Main Speakers: Vandersteen 2ce sigs(driven by Rotel 1080 amp)

Surrounds: Vandersteen 1c's

Rear surround: Polk audio RTi A3

Center: Vandersteen VCC-1

Sub: Vandersteen V2W

I use my system for about 80% music, and 20% HT. My main music source is actually a Windows media center PC where I rip all my CD's to native WAV format. This is connected to my Rotel via digital optical cable. I tend to listen to my music in a mode called seven channel stereo, but I disable the center channel. I think I've narrowed my search down to the Marantz SR5007, Denon 3313CI, and the NAD T 757. My setup is pretty simple, and since I live in the country and my internet is terrible I don't do any streaming audio stuff. I don't need gobs of power since I have the big amp for my mains.

I think the Denon has more "stuff" than I actually need, but the Audyssey MultEQ XT might be useful since my listening room isn't a perfect environment. The Marantz SR5007 also has Audyssey MultEQ XT, but again I am not sure how useful this would be for me. The NAD looks like a very minimalist and audiocentric choice, but it is lacking on many common features. I'd be interesting in hearing anyones opinion on the NAD vs Denon vs Marantz. Thanks

#71 ·
MustangJeff: What did you end up going with? You're looking at essentially the same choices that I have - I'm setting up my first surround system and my setup is similar (Vandersteen 1C as surrounds, 3A Signatures as front, eventually a VCC-1 center, and sub [not Vandy but good]). I've got an NAD stereo receiver that sounds great and I like sticking with what I know, but the Marantz looks tempting, as does the Anthem MRX and the Denon 4311. Did you end up with the T757?

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/60#post_22596806

whats the difference and whats updated...?

My v1 was replaced with a v2 a couple of months ago.

Other than the menu looking slightly different, the only real change is support for HDMI ARC & CEC.

It might be my imagination, but I didn't think the "enhanced bass" speaker setting worked on the v1 unit.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackytiger  /t/1353274/official-nad-t-757-av-upgradeable-surround-sound-receiver-thread/60#post_22414579

I got my faulty T757 replaced with a new one yesterday.

I was pretty surprised when my Sony TV said an external amp had been connected when I first switched it on, first time I've seen that.

It turns out the new one supports HDMI Audio Return Channel and Consumer Electronic Control.

There's also a new HDMI item in the setup menu.

Haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but pretty happy so far.

I am getting a T757 shortly. WIth the new ARC support, how do you specify the ARC as an input in the source setup menu? Is that part of the new new HDMI item in the setup menu that you reference.? It is obviously not in the original manuel. I assume you need to specify a new source in Source Setup to use the ARC input. Thanks.

#76 ·
I'm not sure why they haven't made the V2 manual available on their site, the PDF came on a CDROM in the box.

Here's the section on ARC;
Quote:
ARC Mode: Audio Return Channel (ARC) enables an ARC-enabled TV

to send audio data "upstream" to T 757.

This option has three choices: Of, Auto or Source Setup.

Auto: When set to Auto, the T 757 will automatically attempt an

ARC audio connection to the TV whenever the TV announces over

CEC that it has become the active source.  If an ARC connection can

be established, the T 757 will output the ARC audio signal no matter

what source is selected on the T 757 and will show "HDMI ARC" on

the VFD.  The Auto option tends to work best when all your devices

support CEC and the Source Switch option is set to On.

Source Setup: When set to Source Setup, you can select "ARC" for

the digital audio input in the source setup screen.  When you select

a source on the T 757 which is set for ARC, the T 757 will attempt

to initiate an ARC connection with the TV.  When using this option,

you would probably also want to make sure Source Switch is of

otherwise other CEC devices may keep changing the T 757 source

when you want it to remain on the ARC source.

IMPORTANT NOTES

"Audio System" must be set to "On" for "ARC mode" to manifest as an

option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.