No DTS signal through HDMI on Pioneer vsx 920 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,
I'm having problems getting DTS and also Dolby 5.1 sound from my Pioneer VSX 920. I have a Popcorn Hour C 200 and Oppo Digital 970 attached to the Pioneer with only HDMI cables. I tried playing a movie's DTS track of a DVD image file that was stored on the Popcorn Hour's hard drive but the display on the Pioneer listed the input signal as PLIIx. I believe when I selected a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack it displayed the Dolby icon with a "D" to the right of it which is correct for a 5.1 soundtrack.

However, when I tried watching a movie using its DTS soundtrack (Saving Private Ryan) on my Oppo, there was no indication of any type of digital input and the sound coming from the speakers was definitely not surround sound. I haven't had a chance to check the settings on the Oppo but was reading the manual regarding HDMI output and noticed it said:

"HDMI Audio: To select digital audio output from the HDMI port. The options are:
Multi-Channel - Digital audio output via HDMI will be multi-channel PCM format. The
Down-mix setting in the Speaker Setup Page will affect whether and how multi-channel
audio content will be down-mixed to stereo. When this option is selected, compressed
audio bit streams will decoded by the DVD player.
SPDIF - Digital audio output via HDMI will be the same as the SPDIF (digital coaxial/optical
audio) output. The SPDIF setting will affect whether 2-channel PCM or raw compressed bit
streams will be carried over via HDMI. When this option is selected and SPDIF is set to
Raw, the TV or HDMI A/V receiver must decode compressed audio formats. (Copyright
protection on some DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD discs may prevent audio output via
HDMI with this setting.)
Off - No digital audio output via HDMI."

With the "Multi-Channel" the DVD player will be doing the decoding according to the settings in the Speaker Setup Page and the only surround sound option I noticed on that page was "5.1CH - This mode enables 5.1ch decoded analog audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc."

The SPDIF option sounds ideal because the processing is done by the receiver however I have no digital coaxial/optical outputs going from the DVD player to the receiver as I thought HDMI could handle the DTS signal as well as Dolby Digital 5.1. Is that not the case? Or are there other settings I should be changing either on the Pioneer or the media player or DVD player?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Dan

Dan G in CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Note that PLIIx takes a 2.0/2.1 or 5.1 signal and simulates 7.1 so you can still be receiving the DD/DTS 5.1 signal. Also note that the SPDIF setting above sends the "bitstream" signal through the HDMI cable as well as through the SPDIF cable so that is the correct setting if you want the receiver to do the decoding; however, it will sound the same regardless of whether the Oppo or the receiver does the decoding.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Note that PLIIx takes a 2.0/2.1 or 5.1 signal and simulates 7.1 so you can still be receiving the DD/DTS 5.1 signal.

So in this case when receivers gets a 5.1 signal and distributes to speakers accordingly, will it indicate on the front panel the type of the signal ?
I posted a similar question here:-

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/570#post_22243149

I have a Pioneer VSX 521 K and it never displays DTS symbol on its front panel. I play in following way.

PC-> HDMI > Receiver -> HDMI-> Samsung UE55ES6300 TV
OR
PC-> DLNA (serviio)-> Samsung TV-> HDMI ARC -> Receiver

I just want to make confirm that the receiver is properly decoding all types (the types specified as supported in receiver) signal.

Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems getting DTS and also Dolby 5.1 sound from my Pioneer VSX 920. I have a Popcorn Hour C 200 and Oppo Digital 970 attached to the Pioneer with only HDMI cables. I tried playing a movie's DTS track of a DVD image file that was stored on the Popcorn Hour's hard drive but the display on the Pioneer listed the input signal as PLIIx. I believe when I selected a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack it displayed the Dolby icon with a "D" to the right of it which is correct for a 5.1 soundtrack.

However, when I tried watching a movie using its DTS soundtrack (Saving Private Ryan) on my Oppo, there was no indication of any type of digital input and the sound coming from the speakers was definitely not surround sound. I haven't had a chance to check the settings on the Oppo but was reading the manual regarding HDMI output and noticed it said:

"HDMI Audio: To select digital audio output from the HDMI port. The options are:

Multi-Channel - Digital audio output via HDMI will be multi-channel PCM format. The

Down-mix setting in the Speaker Setup Page will affect whether and how multi-channel

audio content will be down-mixed to stereo. When this option is selected, compressed

audio bit streams will decoded by the DVD player.

SPDIF - Digital audio output via HDMI will be the same as the SPDIF (digital coaxial/optical

audio) output. The SPDIF setting will affect whether 2-channel PCM or raw compressed bit

streams will be carried over via HDMI. When this option is selected and SPDIF is set to

Raw, the TV or HDMI A/V receiver must decode compressed audio formats.
(Copyright

protection on some DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD discs may prevent audio output via

HDMI with this setting.)

Off - No digital audio output via HDMI."

With the "Multi-Channel" the DVD player will be doing the decoding according to the settings in the Speaker Setup Page and the only surround sound option I noticed on that page was "5.1CH - This mode enables 5.1ch decoded analog audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc."

The SPDIF option sounds ideal because the processing is done by the receiver however I have no digital coaxial/optical outputs going from the DVD player to the receiver as I thought HDMI could handle the DTS signal as well as Dolby Digital 5.1. Is that not the case? Or are there other settings I should be changing either on the Pioneer or the media player or DVD player?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Dan

SPDIF setting will send a DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 signal to the receiver via HDMI, optical or digital coax depending on the content of your source. I bolded the part that says this. So set your SPDIF setting to RAW. I have an Oppo DV-980 and has no problem sending raw bitstream audio to my receiver. Your Oppo should work the same way.

Have no idea about a popcorn hour box or even what that is.

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhetag View Post

So in this case when receivers gets a 5.1 signal and distributes to speakers accordingly, will it indicate on the front panel the type of the signal ?
I posted a similar question here:-
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/570#post_22243149
I have a Pioneer VSX 521 K and it never displays DTS symbol on its front panel. I play in following way.
PC-> HDMI > Receiver -> HDMI-> Samsung UE55ES6300 TV
OR
PC-> DLNA (serviio)-> Samsung TV-> HDMI ARC -> Receiver
I just want to make confirm that the receiver is properly decoding all types (the types specified as supported in receiver) signal.
Thanks!

Option 1 - If the receiver only shows stereo then that is what it's receiving. Check PC for proper settings to pass bitstream audio.
Option 2 - The best you'll get over ARC is likely only PCM 2.0.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Option 1 - If the receiver only shows stereo then that is what it's receiving. Check PC for proper settings to pass bitstream audio.
Option 2 - The best you'll get over ARC is likely only PCM 2.0.

Actually If I put the receiver on 'Auto Surr' mode, it does not shows any sound type on its front panel. It only shows Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic ,etc when I manually select these types from the remote. i.e. As the manual says, when in Auto mode, receiver should automatically illuminate the type of sound it is getting.

What other options do i have to get a better sound in current setup? e.g. an Optical cable would do better?

Also, as a beginner have little idea about sound settings, can you please suggest how can I set PC to pass on bit stream audio? The thing I checked was speaker setup and it was 5.1 and it looks fine by ringing each speaker one after the other in the 5.1 speaker test tones. Also, as I use Shark007 codecs with WMP, I've selected followings settings:

Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 AM
585-645-1006

I'm not familiar with your PC software, but from what you displayed it does seem to be set correctly. Check the 521k Owner's manual and try resetting the microprocessor to start the setup process from scratch. Then try getting the Oppo set up correctly to pass a DTS 5.1 audio track. The 521k Owner's manual should also tell you what the AVR will display given the various audio tracks it receives.

post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM

In case anyone else facing similar issue, I have apparently solved this problem. The problem was I was not changing the sound settings in the TV, i.e. in TV menu>> Sound >> Additional Settings>> SPDIF Output was selected to PCM. When playing a file with DTS, the DTS option was enabled and i selected it so the receiver immediately recognized the DTS signal and displayed it on its front panel. Similary I checked for Dolby digital and also for a HD sat channel that was broadcasting Dolby Digital.

So I have got the answer, Samsung UE55ES6300 TV does send the 5.1 signal over ARC to receiver. But each time the correct sound type has to be selected in the TV SPDIF sound output.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer , Speaker Systems , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Oppo , Pioneer Vsx 521 K 5 1 Home Theater Receiver Glossy Black
Gear in this thread - Saving by PriceGrabber.com